Post edited by centersolace on

Comments

• Options
    kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited October 2013
  • Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Nah. Section 31 is ruthlessly effective and efficient, multi-disciplinary, and recruits the absolute best they can find to make sure they succeed by whatever means necessary.

The NSA goes through everyone's garbage, but doesn't actually know what to do with it other than help encourage audits of people they don't like and leak stuff for political advantage, and get their security breached by a 20-something script kiddie with delusions of grandeur.

Don't insult Section 31 like that.
  • Options
    captainpirkocaptainpirko Member Posts: 270 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    i'd say the NSA is more like the tal'shiar. trolls to their own people, bullies to everyone else. everyone knows they're there, no one likes them.

section 31 is the opposite. no one knows they're there, everyone wants to keep it that way. except for bashir, blabber mouth. ruining our op-

-A malfunction occurred during the transfer of this message-
    [SIGPIC]Timelords Fleet [/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Wouldn't the NSA be a primitive form of Section 31?
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited October 2013

Wot.
    Nah. Section 31 is ruthlessly effective and efficient, multi-disciplinary, and recruits the absolute best they can find to make sure they succeed by whatever means necessary.

The NSA goes through everyone's garbage, but doesn't actually know what to do with it other than help encourage audits of people they don't like and leak stuff for political advantage, and get their security breached by a 20-something script kiddie with delusions of grandeur.

Don't insult Section 31 like that.

So they're a wannabe Section 31? I can see that.....
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    starkaos wrote: »
    Wouldn't the NSA be a primitive form of Section 31?

I could see that too.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Nah, Section 31 is more like a black ops branch of the CIA.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    khayuungkhayuung Member Posts: 1,876 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    If my lore is correct (kinda hard when the organization you work for doesn't tell you anything beyond hello and here's your designation), S31 began as clandestine operations found on the planet of all the founding races, and continues to recruit from new ones as they joined the Federation. It was pitched as Black Ops in Space according to "The Good Men Do."

Some more far-flung theories go even further, involving things like Templars and Assassins, right back to the Sumerian empire. But I try to not think Star Trek had anything to do with Dan Brown and Assassin's Creed, well, just not yet. (apart from the memories the Preservers implanted in all of us...) :P

Long story short, NSA being a primordial S31 is truer than you think. It is however only one stem; S31 for Humans evolved from Black Ops organizations across the entire Earth Federation Space Force, so there's also anything from Taskforce 131 to Speznatz to Israeli commandoes to god-knows what else deployed during the Eugenics Wars.

"Last Engage! Magical Girl Origami-san" is in print! Now with three times more rainbows.

Support the "Armored Unicorn" vehicle initiative today!

Thanks for Harajuku. Now let's get a real "Magical Girl" costume!
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited October 2013
    Nope, but MI6 and GCHQ are.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    To me, two facts eliminate any equivalency. First, the fact that the average person knows of the NSA by name and the general gist of its activities. Second, the fact that there is--albeit classified--government oversight of its operations. It is strongly implied in Trek that Section 31 is completely rogue: neither known to the average citizen nor even known to or controlled by the Federation's government.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The NSA would be more analogous to signals-gathering division of Starfleet Intelligence, only much less intelligent than the Starfleet version.

Section 31 is one of those super-duper-ultra-top-secret groups with their headquarters in an abandoned warehouse in Maryland that syphon their funds out of the Social Security system and employ only psychopaths and all only seem to exist in Robert Ludlum novels.
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • Options
    cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    If Section 31 hired a bunch of college drop outs for data gathering, and it was run by a bunch of corner cutting morons. Then, yes. I can see the similarities.:P