What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Season 8 Dev Blog #2

Comments

• Options
    rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Same question as with the first blog: isnt it kinda time to remove the Legacy Pack picture?

That is becoming old news.
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    rifter1969 wrote: »
    What about the race that seeding humanoids? Shoot I forget their name, did the FE with the Breen for the tech... :o shamed that I can't remember their name.
    In canon they're just referred to as the Ancient Humanoids. In STO canon they've been blended with the Preservers.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    rahmkota19 wrote: »
    Same question as with the first blog: isnt it kinda time to remove the Legacy Pack picture?

That is becoming old news.
    There are still new people who join STO every day - such is the cycle of FTP games. So what's old to you is new to someone else.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    aleaicaleaic Member Posts: 352 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Let... me... at... this!!! :)

And what's the word on the FE that's supposed to precede all of this? Haven't heard much of it, for some time. :confused:
  • Options
    aquitaine985aquitaine985 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Is there any, any updates for PVP in this? Surely 4 years of no content is long enough...?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    @Aquitaine985
    Lag Industries STO PvP Fleet - Executive
    A Sad Panda of Industrial calibre.
    2010: This is Cryptic PvP. Please hold the line, your call is very important to us...
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The theorized Dyson Sphere has a radius of 1 AU, which is the distance from the sun to the earth, and the surface area of that Sphere would be 550 million times that of the earth ? the scale is almost incomprehensible!

Actually the size would depend on the type of star and it's output.

In general the concept is virtually like I proposed before F2P. Though looking at the picture, kind of wish you guys added a slight concave horizon to give the players a feeling that they are indeed in a Dyson Sphere. Because if you go up in an aircraft, you start to see the gradual curve of the Earth. But we are on a Dyson sphere, so the scale would be much more massive and in the other direction.

That Dyson Sphere Matte Painting from TNG: Relics really reflects this feeling.

While it's not a Dyson Sphere, This Artist has a proper perspective of how the horizon would be.

But the background picture, well no offense but it gives me more an impression being on a floating island, above the sphere (looking down at the surface) than being part of the Dyson Sphere itself. Of course that experience might change once the mission is out or open testing has begun.
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Please don't make the outside shell of a Dyson Sphere have some goofy design. Something so huge would, imo, be fairly featureless when viewed from a distance far enough to be seen in totality. Think of the Borg Cube. It has features up close but is pretty uniform from a distance.
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Is there any, any updates for PVP in this? Surely 4 years of no content is long enough...?

What? You need new and exciting ways to abuse rules and gank your fellow PvPers? :D
  • Options
    linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Lead Environment Artist Samuel "SWallrus" Wall shares details about the process behind designing the Dyson Sphere in this entry of the Season 8 News Dev Blog series.
    I have temporarily uninstalled "Star Trek: Online". I am currently taking a small rest from playing, so that I can come beck to enjoy season eight. Dyson Sphere looks absolutely phenomenal. I also hope the new reputation system changes will restore the game's fun.

*thumbs up*

Nice job Cryptic.
  • Options
    keysmachinekeysmachine Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    lter wrote: »
    We still have to see how big really is the actual scenario, and, as an 'adventure zone', if it is gonna be as useless in therms of gameplay/rewards as NR.

If you think its going to be 1AU

get ready to be disappointed.

expect false perspective and invisible walls.

with that said. this will still be pretty damn awesome.
  • Options
    foundrelicfoundrelic Member Posts: 1,380 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    astro2244 wrote: »
    The Ancients :P *flees*

If the "Carrier" is an Aurora filled with Puddle Jumpers I'll eat my shoe.

And be exceptionally giddy.
  • Options
    lilchibiclarililchibiclari Member Posts: 1,193 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    If you think its going to be 1AU

get ready to be disappointed.

expect false perspective and invisible walls.

with that said. this will still be pretty damn awesome.

It certainly won't be 1 AU, but I would hope that it would take several minutes for players to fly across it on Full Impulse--the explorable part should be as big compared to starship-scale activities as the New Romulus map is compared to person-scaled activities.
  • Options
    damiendarkcastdamiendarkcast Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    This is gonna be fun :)
  • Options
    thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,984 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Obviously The Pak built it.

Or maybe The Outsiders.....
  • Options
    markfalconemarkfalcone Member Posts: 245 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Have only one question left: When? *drool* Actually two: Is there going to be a sale as usual with this release? I noticed on a Wiki that it has seemed like, over the last two years, you do a big sale on the Lifetime with every major release, and I FINALLY am starting to make money again after many years of unemployment. I want to celebrate. But having been unemployed so long, I also want to be frugal :-D
  • Options
    mosul33mosul33 Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Thank you for sharing this with us, is nice to know what the artists had in mind when designing something.
    Also since the outside of the Sphere was designed, i am guessing there will be a way to interact with it from the sector space, aside from the PvE qeues, in a similar way like The Vault is? And if yes, I wonder where will be located.
  • Options
    lilchibiclarililchibiclari Member Posts: 1,193 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    mosul33 wrote: »
    Thank you for sharing this with us, is nice to know what the artists had in mind when designing something.
    Also since the outside of the Sphere was designed, i am guessing there will be a way to interact with it from the sector space, aside from the PvE qeues, in a similar way like The Vault is? And if yes, I wonder where will be located.

Given that the story in this article put it in the near part of the Delta Quadrant, I would assume that we will have a new Sector Block in the Delta Quadrant.
  • Options
    antman9173antman9173 Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Given that the story in this article put it in the near part of the Delta Quadrant, I would assume that we will have a new Sector Block in the Delta Quadrant.

An entire block just devoted to the sphere... that would be something... and you can see it from anywhere in the block...:cool:
  • Options
    aaronh42aaronh42 Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I still suspect since Voyager won the pole, we will find someway to access the sphere from an Iconian gateway, then the sphere will act as a starting point for next seasons content.
  • Options
    mrj58mrj58 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I can't judge it yet without seeing it all. But, from what little I've seen of the inside of the Dyson Sphere, it doesn't look like the inside of a hollow sphere, where the surface of the map should wrap up and around. Instead, it looks like a normal STO planet surface on the bottom with another planet surface on the ceiling and a narrow horizon in between them. It doesn't look anything like the Dyson Sphere we saw on TNG which was an enormous inside out planet. The Halo's from the Halo game series are a good example of a Dyson Sphere, although, much smaller and just a narrow band, instead of a whole sphere. Maybe I'm wrong, and when I see the full finished product it will all make sense, but right now I am prepared to be disappointed.
  • Options
    ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited October 2013
    In every picture, we see the surface in the distance at a 90 angle. Think a 'wall' in the distance.

The dimensions you're describing are 1 AU = 92 955 807.3 miles.

That simply isn't possible. The closest analogy would be I could see the Martian surface from my house in Vancouver BC with the naked eye; see mountains and even the tracks of the Martian Explorer.

On a good day you might see <100 miles away. On a clear night it's possible to see a candle at 34 miles.

The 'walls' of this sphere would be conservatively 18 MILLION miles away; observing the other surface seeing continent and oceans isn't even in the realm of fantasy.

At best you might see a 'structure' rising into clouds, like those that separate the worldlet areas. The Dyson sphere would have a thin (2-3km) dense atmosphere on the inside. The rest would be a vacuum, satellites, and the stellar mass.

What you would see is a blue/white haze in the shape of a bowl with you in the center, assuming the atmosphere is similar in content to Earth or New Romulus. The haze would rise up in all directions until you see a darker ring surrounding the sun, assuming no mechanics for day/night cycles.

This isn't an opportunity for a technobabble reason why we can see the surfaces of other planets. And dear God DONT use JJ verse examples as why you can suddenly see the surfaces of other planets from the planet you're marooned on.

I can handle the concept of a Dyson Sphere. I can deal with transporters that cure disease and drop you on other planets. I can handle warp science and timetravel. Giving me the eyesight of the 6-Trillion Dollar Man AND ignoring the reality of atmospheres - that's unbelievable.

My Two Bits (based on science)

Admiral Thrax
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    And dear God DONT use JJ verse examples as why you can suddenly see the surfaces of other planets from the planet you're marooned on.
    lolwut

Unless the whole population of the Dyson sphere has telepathy like Spock, I don't think that's a very reasonable response.

I agree with you on your other points though.
  • Options
    cers001cers001 Member Posts: 286 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Can we get some starship combat above cities and stuff
    CVN-65 U.S.S. Enterprise - A ship so badass it survived John McCain.
  • Options
    jumpingjsjumpingjs Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I usually withhold from new content, BUT THIS I MUST TRY:

Several reasons: I LOVE SPACE, AND A SPACE ADVENTURE MAP IS GOING TO BE SOOOOO COOOL!

I have not started a Romulan.

I have not done many fleet PvEs. I have not done many PvEs full stop. Still not done Hive Space or ground.

Still have not done Nukera Space. Still have not done the salt creatures ground. Recently started on the CE for the first time since it got renovated. (Normal is rubbish btw).

Wasteland, not started yet.

Not started a Klingon.

Not finished any FE. (Apart from 3 year Anniversary and 2nd year anniversary.)

STill have not done Cardassian to Undine Missions.

YET STO IS STILL MY FAV GAME;

So this dose of new content, I am ready [to play] for!

(All of the above said, It will still take me a long time to persuade me to have a go).
    Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...
  • Options
    orondisorondis Member Posts: 1,447 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    cers001 wrote: »
    Can we get some starship combat above cities and stuff

That's pretty much what "storming the spire" is.
    Previously Alendiak
    Daizen - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
    Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    foundrelic wrote: »
    If the "Carrier" is an Aurora filled with Puddle Jumpers I'll eat my shoe.

And be exceptionally giddy.
    What about Destiny? Hehe....

SG: Universe did have one plot point that was pretty interesting. A race that constructed an artificial star and planet. Destiny's nav computer almost hit the star because it wasn't in the stellar cartography database. :D
    jumpingjs wrote: »
    Wasteland, not started yet.
    Sooo much fun!!!! If you like ground anyways, if you hate ground it will be torture.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Please don't make the outside shell of a Dyson Sphere have some goofy design. Something so huge would, imo, be fairly featureless when viewed from a distance far enough to be seen in totality. Think of the Borg Cube. It has features up close but is pretty uniform from a distance.

And a Cube's size is a joke compared to a Dyson Sphere.
    The Death Star would be a more fitting example.
    And even the DS is a joke compared to a sphere with a diameter of 1 AU.
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    Probably because we haven't had much to do over the last 6 months if we don't want to play a Romulan. :)

Oh it's been longer than that ... soo much longer ... . :o
    orondis wrote: »
    Looks absolutely gorgeous from the screenshots in the blog.

If you don't mind the pylons on that Vesta being bent all out of shape ... . ;)
  • Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    rifter1969 wrote: »
    I love the idea of both the Sphere builders form ENT and the T'Kon Empire.

I'd love it if Cryptic would finish a story before racing into the next story that they will also not finish and so on and so on .
    At this point all I feel that I will be let down if I allow myself to get excited .
    This is how Cryptic cheat's me of a good ending .
    It's worse then reading comics , or following a long winded TV show for many seasons . At least in those you get some sort of resolution at some point .

Cryptic's type of story telling is : getting 'cancelled' constantly before getting to the finish .
    How much fun can that be ?
  • Options
    talzerotwotalzerotwo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Here's the Sphere Builders :P
    [SIGPIC]http://tinyurl.com/msywqm5[/SIGPIC]
    Chillax. No Ego. No Drama.

Like my alien? Watch THE VIDEO
    Need custom graphics for you or your fleet? Click HERE