test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 8 Dev Blog #2

pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
edited October 2013 in Galactic News Network [PC]
Lead Environment Artist Samuel "SWallrus" Wall shares details about the process behind designing the Dyson Sphere in this entry of the Season 8 News Dev Blog series.

Link to the blog.
Post edited by pwebranflakes on

Comments

• blastenblaster1blastenblaster1 Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Very interested in this update. Idk y but more so over LoR.
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Very interested in this update. Idk y but more so over LoR.
    Probably because we haven't had much to do over the last 6 months if we don't want to play a Romulan. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    My God, it's full of stars!
    GwaoHAD.png
  • orondisorondis Member Posts: 1,447 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Looks absolutely gorgeous from the screenshots in the blog. Will be very interesting flying a ship in such a large zone, with other players and presumably enemy NPCs.
    Previously Alendiak
    Daizen - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
    Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
  • drreverenddrreverend Member Posts: 459 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Sounds like the environment guys are having fun with the challenge of designing this one.
  • sin99sin99 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    looks good, Avenger class does as well
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Cannot wait to race around the entire circumference of the Dyson Sphere!

Will be epic :D
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    With all the mentions of 'the Builders' I kept thinking of the sphere builders in Enterprise using the spheres to reform space to make it habitable for themselves.

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
  • xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    Probably because we haven't had much to do over the last 6 months if we don't want to play a Romulan. :)

Why wouldn't you want to play a Romulan? That makes no sense! :eek:
    This is Heresy against Doctrine!
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
    edited October 2013
    dirlettia wrote: »
    With all the mentions of 'the Builders' I kept thinking of the sphere builders in Enterprise using the spheres to reform space to make it habitable for themselves.
    Yeah, I thought that too, but a Dyson Sphere is much bigger then the Sphere from "the builders."
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • longasclongasc Member Posts: 490
    edited October 2013
    It looks a lot like spaceships on a ground map. I wonder if there will also be some "space" within the 1 AU of the Dyson sphere.
  • xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Gives me the impression the Voth did not build it, and the promised carrier vessel will be a ship from the true builders of the Dyson Sphere instead.
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    the Sphere was built by the greatest builder of all time
    GwaoHAD.png
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Are those floating cylinders in the bottom picture an error based on the map still being a Work In Progress?
    edited October 2013
    starkaos wrote: »
    Are those floating cylinders in the bottom picture an error based on the map still being a Work In Progress?
    They could be satellites - something I've felt STO was sorely missing around planets. :)
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Calling it right now. This will involve the Sphere Builders. :rolleyes:
  • magneticmoosemagneticmoose Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    This is looking to be a cool environment. My only grip is that it's too bad it isn't a shuttle craft only environment.

We need more uses for these little ships.

Cool though, and I can't wait to get in there.
  • greenblock7greenblock7 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    this is probably going to be terrible. but i'll still want to play lol.
    edited October 2013
    this is probably going to be terrible.
    Did your mama bottle feed you as a baby and that's why you're so pessimistic? :)
  • mcduffie369mcduffie369 Member Posts: 787 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I have a feeling my poor laptop pc will chug along for that one. I need a place for my desk top...
  • purplegamerpurplegamer Member Posts: 1,015 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    It looks amazing! :eek:
  • lterlter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    We still have to see how big really is the actual scenario, and, as an 'adventure zone', if it is gonna be as useless in therms of gameplay/rewards as NR.
  • amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I like to imagine that the Tkon Empire built and used Dyson spheres, the sphere would allow them to move their star systems around, as mentioned in TNG, with the star as its power source.
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • rifter1969rifter1969 Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I love the idea of both the Sphere builders form ENT and the T'Kon Empire.

What about the race that seeding humanoids? Shoot I forget their name, did the FE with the Breen for the tech... :o shamed that I can't remember their name.
  • megtrekkiemegtrekkie Member Posts: 85 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    c
    an you change the season name because The sphere isn't very catchy tbh
  • mcduffie369mcduffie369 Member Posts: 787 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    IMO, a new adventure zone means new reputation as well.
  • blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    megtrekkie wrote: »
    c
    an you change the season name because The sphere isn't very catchy tbh
    How about not change it? It's fine the way it is.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • astro2244astro2244 Member Posts: 623 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    rifter1969 wrote: »
    I love the idea of both the Sphere builders form ENT and the T'Kon Empire.

What about the race that seeding humanoids? Shoot I forget their name, did the FE with the Breen for the tech... :o shamed that I can't remember their name.

The Ancients :P *flees*
    [SIGPIC]583px-Romulan_Star_Empire_logo%2C_2379.svg.png
    [/SIGPIC]
  • dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    rifter1969 wrote: »

Preservers
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    That looks great, looking forward to trying it out. I loved LOR and had fun with it with all my characters. From what few previews I saw. This is going to be very fun.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.