test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Dyson Sphere not plausible?

marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited February 2015 in Ten Forward
With season 8 coming out I got to reading up on Dyson Spheres some and it seems like to me this wouldn't work even if you are way more advanced then the Federation. Due to the way gravity works with spheres I think there will be no gravitation holding the sphere in place
and it will collide with the star unless thrusters are used, which would require massive power I don't even want to think about. Also there would be no gravity on the surface of the sphere, artificial gravity would be needed. It would need lots of power for a structural integrity field or stronger materials then currently known to survive the stress from the suns pull too.

Something not quite as far fetched would be Larry Niven's Ringworld, it would have gravity through centrifical force and might not use all the materials in the soloar system and more to build it.
Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
Post edited by marc8219 on

Comments

• Options
    deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    1. There will be gravity... there is mass and a spin generated to pin you to the surface
    2. yes, the sphere will tear its host star apart
    3. As current levels of technology does allow for manipulation of gravity, the gravity effects of the sun and the sphere will not have an impact.
    4. a G star will put out energy in the Yattawattage range. That's enough energy to power the gravity fields and keep the lights running...
    5. By using artificial gravity fields for the sphere and the star, you would be dragging the star around with the sphere.
  • Options
    sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Coliding with the star wouldn't be an issue because the whole sphere would be nestled right in the basket of the star's gravity well. (Or visa-versa, depending on which object ends up being more massive.) As the star moves through space, the sphere moves with it.

Same reason why our own sun hasn't run us over by now or left us behind and run off with Saturn.
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    well, actually the sun's weight would be less than the sphere's weight. so the sphere could theoretically haul the star around, and with the difference in weight and no central location, the star would eventually drift into the sphere.
  • Options
    turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Isn't that part of the plot for the ST TNG novel "Dyson Sphere", the Jenolan Sphere is moving because its sensors picked up an approaching neutron star or something... except the gravimetrics holding the sun in its center have broken down, so the sun is going to collide with the sphere?

I know it's not STO canon, but it sounds like part of what you're talking about...
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    As mentioned before (and will likely be mentioned many times), it's actually a Dyson Shell, not a Dyson Sphere.

As to whether or not it's plausible?

Space magic.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Um... Q did it.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    it is possible, but you would need certain techology in place to prevent the star and sphere from tearing each other apart.
  • Options
    roxbadroxbad Member Posts: 695
    edited October 2013
    lol Dyson sphere/shell.

At best it would be a soap bubble. Not a shell.
  • Options
    sampa4sampa4 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    sander233 wrote: »
    Coliding with the star wouldn't be an issue because the whole sphere would be nestled right in the basket of the star's gravity well. (Or visa-versa, depending on which object ends up being more massive.) As the star moves through space, the sphere moves with it.

Same reason why our own sun hasn't run us over by now or left us behind and run off with Saturn.

to be more precise, yes, it would depend on the star's gravity well. However, that is only a partial part of the equation. The craft in question, in this case the sphere, would ALSO have to be traveling at EXACTLY the same velocity as the star it contains. Otherwise, the sphere pieces would eventually collide with the star inside.
  • Options
    skhcskhc Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Forget all that.

How would you even build the thing before you have to worry about whether it'll collide with its own star? And why would you build one? There's too many variables to make a useful guess at the mass of a 200,000,000km* diameter metal shell (such as density and thickness), but it's potentially thousands or even millions of times that of the Earth. So mining the base materials and then working from there is a non-starter.

So you'd have to build the whole thing from scratch by matter replication. Now, if you can replicate something that size (even gradually over time), how many starships & bases can you build instead for the same effort? How many planets can you terraform?

Still, it'll probably look cool in the game.

*That's how big the one in the series was.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    matter can be retrieved from white dwarfs or dead stars.

the energy output of a star, if totally collected... is immense...
  • Options
    sampa4sampa4 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    skhc wrote: »
    Forget all that.

How would you even build the thing before you have to worry about whether it'll collide with its own star? And why would you build one? There's too many variables to make a useful guess at the mass of a 200,000,000km* diameter metal shell (such as density and thickness), but it's potentially thousands or even millions of times that of the Earth. So mining the base materials and then working from there is a non-starter.

So you'd have to build the whole thing from scratch by matter replication. Now, if you can replicate something that size (even gradually over time), how many starships & bases can you build instead for the same effort? How many planets can you terraform?

I cannot answer the first part of how. As to the why: Stars are the only things in the universe that use nuclear Fusion and not burning out a second after the process starts (usually). I SUPPOSE a civilization COULD be interested in building one of these in the interests of harnessing that raw power from the star!
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,390 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    If you've reached the point where your homeworld (and any others in-system you can terraform) does not provide sufficient life support for your species, and you've achieved some sort of transmutation technology (either replicators or certain variations on nuclear fusion), but you don't have FTL, building something like a Dyson Sphere, a Dyson Shell, or a Ringworld might be plausible. Humans wouldn't do such a thing, of course - but something with a slightly different psychology (in other words, a sapient alien) might well think it makes perfect sense.

The Dev Blog mentions that the object is one AU in diameter; one would assume the star thus encased is an M-class red dwarf, as anything larger would have an uncomfortably hot interior. (In fact, the exterior must be studded with heat radiators; Dyson supposed that some of the red supergiant stars we can see mostly in infrared could be his [discontinuous] orbital habitats.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    sander233 wrote: »

Sir Isaac Newton would disagree according to his shell theorem.

"If the body is a spherically symmetric shell (i.e., a hollow ball), no net gravitational force is exerted by the shell on any object inside, regardless of the object's location within the shell."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shell_theorem
  • Options
    hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Forget all that.

A few science fiction writers (Stephen Baxter's Time Ships) have an interesting solution to the mass issue: The mass of the sphere is a tiny fraction of the parent star's mass. The observer in Time Ships is on a time machine when he sees the sphere constructed, but its process takes long enough that the description fills in a lot of the gaps:

He first see's the Earth's rotation halted (it's not later made clear why this is done), after which sees a swarm of massive objects very close to the sun, which stay there for thousands of years. He then sees two pillars of light extending from the poles of the sun, which expand to form a dull red sphere occupying most of the sky, and when it darkens the sun appears to be gone and the Earth dies around him.

What's later described is a set of large solar collectors close to the sun (a partial close-range Dyson swarm) that stored up energy to create a massive magnetic field that ejected the outer layers of the sun and formed them into a sphere between the orbits of Venus and Earth. The process destroyed the collectors, but left a cloud of gas that other vessels could synthesize into the materials used in the sphere, with the cloud providing both raw materials and fuel for the process. (Venus and Mercury were destroyed, but it's not clear if they were destroyed by the ejection or if they were somehow cleared before it like the change to Earth's rotation).
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Forget all that.

Yes that's one of the other reasons I don't think its plausible. The Dyson Sphere in TNG would probably take more then the mass of the Sol system to make it, then only a small percentage of that mass would be materials sutible for building it. I doubt replicator technology to make the materials on such a large scale is feasible either, it would take the power of something like a star, which you would need the dyson sphere already completed to fully harness.
  • Options
    kintishokintisho Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The Dyson sphere theory is actually plausible, segmented ring worlds would be vastly easier to pull off. However mass is not just volume it is also density thus a super light material spun (endless thread theory)may actually be an answer versus shredding a star or depending on how advanced you may be, a star cycling mechanism could be introduced to "shred" and "reshred" a star.. pumping in fuel and out energy etc.... just a few random thoughts from a myriad sci-fi history.
  • Options
    qqqqiiqqqqii Member Posts: 479 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    It's science fiction. If folks have problems with the fiction part, I'm not sure why they're here.
    dgbgfnkqi05e.png
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    kintisho wrote: »
    The Dyson sphere theory is actually plausible, segmented ring worlds would be vastly easier to pull off. However mass is not just volume it is also density thus a super light material spun (endless thread theory)may actually be an answer versus shredding a star or depending on how advanced you may be, a star cycling mechanism could be introduced to "shred" and "reshred" a star.. pumping in fuel and out energy etc.... just a few random thoughts from a myriad sci-fi history.
    There is so much stress on a structure that size from its own mass and the gravity pulling it that I think "light" materials are out of the question, even on a ring world
    qqqqii wrote: »
    It's science fiction. If folks have problems with the fiction part, I'm not sure why they're here.

Its Science Fiction, not fiction, or fantasy, it has to be based on science.
    I'm not saying there shouldn't be a Dyson Sphere, there just needs to be a plausible explantion for one.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    you do realise that science fiction actually has forced scientists to rise to the challenge to try to develop theories and concepts to prove them?

Warp drive was a concept that couldnt be proofed until recently. Now we've developed warp theory. Our only problem is, that the amount of energy required to warp space around us, is far beyond our means.

Star trek says it takes gigawatts of energy, to warp space, although it seems that Phoenix was done with megawattage. But at our current abilities, it would be in the tera range or even peta range. That's beyond our current output. If I recall correctly, the entire earth's output is barely in the tera range.

They just developed the concept for lightsabers. They're trying to figure out a way to create transporters. We have teleporters but that's not wanted as that destroys matter. Wormhole theory (from stargate) and tricorders, communicators, directed energy beams... cloaking, shields... there's many more

why? Because they saw it on tv and were determined to prove it was possible.

Right now, we can say that's not quite possible with our concepts so it's time to create new concepts. How the heck would that be possible?

See, humans don't go "oh that's impossible" and forget about it. We go "Hmm, that's currently impossible, so how do we make it possible?"

We take the rules of this universe and we challenge it, develop new rules or bend them. We're the universe's bad boys of science.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    you do realise that science fiction actually has forced scientists to rise to the challenge to try to develop theories and concepts to prove them?

No. I don't realize that. Scientists don't "prove" things. Proofs are for mathematicians. Scientists create models that explain observed phenomenon and then set about trying to make them fail. A hypothesis must be falsifiable, else it tells us nothing new.
    See, humans don't go "oh that's impossible" and forget about it. We go "Hmm, that's currently impossible, so how do we make it possible?"

The question wasn't, "is it possible". The question was, "is it plausible". My answer is, no. It is not plausible.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,390 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Warp drive was a concept that couldnt be proofed until recently. Now we've developed warp theory. Our only problem is, that the amount of energy required to warp space around us, is far beyond our means.
    That's not the problem at all. There are a couple of other problems, though. For starters, generating an Alcubierre-White warp would require a considerable negative energy density, which we don't yet know how to generate (although the new theory of quantum impellers could help, as, if they could work, they would generate negative energy as a side effect). The other problem is that the interior of the warp is causally separated from the rest of the universe - we'd have to figure out how to start one, then, just as importantly, how to stop it.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I'm sorry, maybe it's because I'm tired, but reading your statement, rox... made my eyes hurt.

Sure there are scientists out there trying to make things fail, but there are also those trying to make fiction fact. That's proving a theory already developed. Scientists also use math to prove things.

The fact that you don't think that a sphere is even plausible shows how narrow minded you are. Just about anything is possible, you just have to figure out how to make it possible. There are just some things that are just out of reach of our minds, but it doesn't mean that we discount them and dismiss them as impossible.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Oh, yeah, warp drive, we're not sure what the effects would be, we just figured out how to do it. It's like we just figured out how to start a fire, but how to stop the fire when we're done with it...
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    "The Space Elevator will be built about 50 years after everyone stops laughing."

-ARTHUR C. CLARKE
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    If an alien species is advanced enough to create a Dyson Sphere, then they are advanced enough to deal with any problems associated with the Dyson Sphere. As far as material for the Dyson Sphere goes, there are probably millions of dimensions that just don't have the right conditions to support life. So it makes sense to get building materials from places where no one will be able to use them besides other outsiders.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I'm sorry, maybe it's because I'm tired, but reading your statement, rox... made my eyes hurt.

Sure there are scientists out there trying to make things fail, but there are also those trying to make fiction fact. That's proving a theory already developed. Scientists also use math to prove things.

Yeah. I'm kinda tired too. Maybe tomorrow I'll explain the basic concept of the scientific method, hypothesis, and theory.
    The fact that you don't think that a sphere is even plausible shows how narrow minded you are. Just about anything is possible, you just have to figure out how to make it possible. There are just some things that are just out of reach of our minds, but it doesn't mean that we discount them and dismiss them as impossible.

Try real hard to not conflate the words "plausible" and "possible", then reread my previous post.

eta: I like to think I'm open-minded. I just don't open my mind so far that my brain falls out.
  • Options
    westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,244 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    If its possible then its plausible IMO I mean if come on if we know there's a way to do it then it can be done in your context its that "Oh well we know of a way it could be done but now we don't think it can be done by anything ever".
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    westx211 wrote: »
    If its possible then its plausible IMO I mean if come on if we know there's a way to do it then it can be done in your context its that "Oh well we know of a way it could be done but now we don't think it can be done by anything ever".

I don't know if, it could be done. That doesn't mean it can't be done.

I can think of a few reasons that it's not likely to be done, even if, we know how it can be done. That's aside from the few problematic reasons that I find the concept not plausible.