test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Profane?!

2»

Comments

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    It's especially annoying when context is irrelevent. Some words are really only considered profanity when used in certain ways. Another annoyance is that certain NUMBERS are blocked by the keyword filter.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I think it's bloody criminal to prevent us from using words which featured regularly in a TV show that's been aired at all times of the day, in order to placate a tiny fraction of a percentage of the population of -one- country in which the game is played. Besides which, this is Star Trek, a show about tolerance of other cultures and beliefs, a show which has named shuttlecraft after two of the religious-right's most hated public figures after Satan himself; Dawkins and Darwin, and which has dedicated entire episodes to making fun of creationists - how many evangelicals are likely to be playing the game?

Bah. Fine, if they're going to do silly stuff to placate tiny percentages of the player-base, I, as an unreasonable and uptight anti-theist, demand that any and all religious terminology is added to the swear filter, and banned from use in the foundry! If they don't, I'll...I'll...I'll write an angry petition, you see if I don't! :P

I wish the Hell They would placate the tiny(?) percentage of T-5 Connie users as much as They do the religious-right... :mad:

bazag wrote: »
    I've got another odd profane word.

I think I know why,but can anyone tell me why 'diarrhea' is considered profane.

heh...

In my line-of-work... that word is almost an every-hour occurrence...
    (I work in a Hospital) :D
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
    edited July 2012
    daveyny wrote: »
    I wish the Hell They would placate the tiny(?) percentage of T-5 Connie users as much as They do the religious-right... :mad:
    I don't think religion has anything to do with it myself. Most of the stuff I've seen in the filter has NOTHING to do with it.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • ebeneezergoodeebeneezergoode Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    castsbugc wrote: »
    What I think EVERYONE is forgetting is one little thing.

The ESRB

While (most) all of you are adults ;) The game has to maintain certain standards towards the rating system. That includes keeping the language within the prescribed limits of the ratings.

And honestly, if you cannot make a statement without an explative....well, Firefly found a way to do it...so use pidgin Chinese or just start throwing out Klingon or Romulan words

As far as I can understand, STO has a "T" rating, which according to ESRB may contain the following:

"TEEN
    Titles rated T (Teen) have content that may be suitable for ages 13 and older. Titles in this category may contain violence, suggestive themes, crude humor, minimal blood, simulated gambling, and/or infrequent use of strong language."

The restriction on damn appears to be self imposed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nagoraknagorak Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    tosmonkey wrote: »
    All swear words are culturally based. There are a lot of Christians who consider damnation a very serious subject and look at using the word "damn" lightly as exceedingly profane. It's all a matter of how we're raised. I imagine that since this is a F2P MMO now Cryptic is going for ultra-clean to maintain a family friendly environment. No business wants to deal with raving, torch wielding evangelists. They go straight for the groin, which in this context is PWE's wallet. Nobody can make a boycott out of a molehill better than America's religious right. Without getting mucked up in the right or wrong of it, I can certainly understand why a business like PWE would want to avoid it.

I really think it's irrelevant if a small minority are offended by the word damn. That has been used in popular culture for so long that it is no longer considered bad enough not to show on television. It was even acceptable to use on television 45 years ago.

Small minorities of people can be offended by all kinds of things, we have to look at the words in the context of the population as a whole.

Children hear the word damn, and much worse, on the elementary school playground. The fact that damn is not even censored in the forums indicates to me that it's censorship is out of line.
    edited July 2012
    As far as I can understand, STO has a "T" rating, which according to ESRB may contain the following:

"TEEN
    Titles rated T (Teen) have content that may be suitable for ages 13 and older. Titles in this category may contain violence, suggestive themes, crude humor, minimal blood, simulated gambling, and/or infrequent use of strong language."

The restriction on damn appears to be self imposed.

Yes, I'm pretty sure you'll find the word "damn" in movies rated PG-13. Maybe not PG though. But a teen rating implies at least 13+.
  • nrobbiecnrobbiec Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    These days scheisse and bullscheisse can be found in films rated 12
    edited July 2012
    You must be tired Nagorak, you started argueing with yourself.....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited July 2012
    You must be tired Nagorak, you started argueing with yourself.....

LOL, damn the quote button being at the top instead of the bottom! :D
    edited July 2012
    At any rate, it's the result of being overzealous in censoring the populace.

Another example is one of Squeenix's games. Among many other words, the game filters Ghost. why? Apparently, in some circles, it's a derogatory slang term for white people, thus it gets filtered. however.... most people don't even know that usage of the word exists. How did I find out? One of the monsters in the game is named "Ghost". I didn't feel like making up a name for mine so I called it Ghost, and lookie here... the game wouldn't let me call it a name that the game already uses for it....

Yeah, this is what happens when companies go overboard and filter any word that might possibly be offensive.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • frankhs30frankhs30 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    A smart-TRIBBLE put the work TRIBBLE into a review of one of my Foundry Missions - now I can't publish after an update

So why an I penalized because of some punk?

The Mission of House of Duras Briefing and the punlk's name is isilendir
    frankhs30

Kotagh II and L'ael on KDF - House of Duras
    T'Pur in Federation Sol Trade Consortium Fleet
    edited September 2013
    frankhs30 wrote: »
    A smart-TRIBBLE put the work TRIBBLE into a review of one of my Foundry Missions - now I can't publish after an update

Are you sure that's the reason?
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    frankhs30 wrote: »

Nice of you to necro a thread that had been dead for two months...

I suggest sending a ticket to tech support. Maybe you'll get lucky and they'll fix the review.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I love how that gets caught by the profanity filter, but last week I came across someone with M*th*rf*ck*r in there toons name. lol

btw he didn't have the letters blanked out like I did.
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    "Captain! A Necro-class Thread just decloaked!"

"Photon torpedoes, full spread! Phasers, fire!"

"Direct hit, Captain!"

"Mod, send a priority message to Starfleet. We have disabled a Necro. Advise them that this Necro was hidden for more than 30 days before it suddenly decloaked and we had to neutralize it."

OOC: Please don't post in threads that have been "cloaked" for 30 days or more. Start a new one.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
This discussion has been closed.