test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

DX11 beta - is it just my imagination ...

gurugeorgegurugeorge Member Posts: 421 Arc User
edited September 2013 in Graphical and Sound Issues
... or does it actually look great?! I only discovered the option today, and I think it makes a nice little upgrade to the visuals, especially with everything cranked up to max on everything else. Game doesn't look half bad at all, and definitely runs smoother for me in DX11 than in DX9 (old Radeon HD5770 vidcard, about 30-35 fps maxed out at 1280x1024). I think it's subtle things like fog, maybe better SSAO, shadows, reflections, stuff like that? Dunno, but I'm sticking with it now.

So, not a complaint, but just a small complement to pass on to the devs! :)
Post edited by gurugeorge on

Comments

• Options
    nejdinenejdine Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Where can i find this option? I looked around but could not see it.

Edit: Found it. Did not notice the "troubleshoot" at the bottom @ the gfx options.
  • Options
    masterkeychnk5masterkeychnk5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    There is absolutely no graphical difference on DX11 vs DX9 except the Field of View is slightly different.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] I am not Snakie, MT is!
  • Options
    gurugeorgegurugeorge Member Posts: 421 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Maybe it's just my imagination then, as a result of the increased smoothness.

Because the speed improvement is definitely not my imagination, the game objectively runs about 15-20% faster for me now.
  • Options
    jivedutchjivedutch Member Posts: 357 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I had to disable DX11 on my AMD 7850 system ...

When playing the game at max detail (basic slider all to the right) i have alot of epileptic shadows from alot of light sources.
    The only change was setting Auto/DX11 back to DX9 ... all shadow flickering gone instantly.
  • Options
    captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I saw a difference in the lighting on dx11 mode. It looked nicer, more natural than dx9 mode. The windows on ships also look better in dx11. Under dx9 they just look as if they've been pasted on (badly) while under dx11 they seem to fit in with the ship rather better.
    Unfortunately, when s7 went live I had to disable dx11 and revert back to dx9 due to performance issues (dx11 is suposedly more efficient than dx9 and should therefore be faster). I began getting lower and less reliable frame rates compared to how it was before s7. Frame rates were lower and the game was stuttering a lot more.

It's a feature that seems to have been worked on for a little while, then abandoned. :(
    I need a beer.

• Options
    masterkeychnk5masterkeychnk5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I saw a difference in the lighting on dx11 mode. It looked nicer, more natural than dx9 mode. The windows on ships also look better in dx11. Under dx9 they just look as if they've been pasted on (badly) while under dx11 they seem to fit in with the ship rather better.
    Unfortunately, when s7 went live I had to disable dx11 and revert back to dx9 due to performance issues (dx11 is suposedly more efficient than dx9 and should therefore be faster). I began getting lower and less reliable frame rates compared to how it was before s7. Frame rates were lower and the game was stuttering a lot more.

It's a feature that seems to have been worked on for a little while, then abandoned. :(

Thats actually not STO related, thats related purely to the fact that probably different (and by default often hidden) driver settings like LOD and Anti Aliasing is affecting it. All this 'hidden' settings are acting differently based on DX9 versus DX11, like some are forced in one, or put on auto on the other, and vice versa.

So that explains why DX11 can look different then DX9, better or worse. But like i said, it only requires a special tool that 'unhides' or give you access to these settings (Tools like Nvidia Inspector or the ATI/AMD Equivalent i.e.)

My game looks equally nice as when i set it to DX9 compared to DX11.

You are right about one thing though, DX11 got significantly worse since they released LOR, unfortunately the developers do not acknowledge this problem, I've done different tests on certain areas of the game, and pretty much everywhere my CPU usage almost doubled. I'm pretty sure they messed something up as DX11 was alot more efficient and faster (and less CPU demanding) then after LOR release.

Tried tons of different drivers, the ones i used to use before LoR, no improvement. I hope their DX9ex implementation is at least a bit better when Season 8 hits but I doubt it will be bugless either :C
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] I am not Snakie, MT is!