test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Doff assignment chain failures

evilgenius180evilgenius180 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
edited September 2013 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
I already submitted an in game report about this (ticket #1,975,400) but it never hurts to double up.

I've noticed that failures in the Doff assignment chains count towards chain completion. Previously, (before The Legacy of Romulus) failures didn't count towards the chains and you had to redo the assignments in the chain until you completed them for them to count. It makes no sense to have a chain where you don't even have to pass the missions to get the chain completion rewards.
Post edited by evilgenius180 on

Comments

• Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I hate to burst your bubble, but I've been playing this game for a year and they have been like that as long as I've been playing. Whether you fail or succeed you still complete the assignment and completion is what counts, not succeeding. The difference is if you fail you receive no rewards.

I think the only time a part of the chain won't count if you fail is because you're suppose to receive a special reward such as a duty officer. I don't remember which chain it was but there was 1 a long time ago where the final assignment kept failing and the chain wouldn't complete. Eventually I managed to succeed and complete the chain. (That was when I was still new to the whole doff system)
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    I've been playing the game for two years, since slightly before they added the doff system, and I can tell you it wasn't always that way. Once upon a time, when you failed one of the chain assignments, you had to redo it until you passed to continue in the chain. I don't know when that changed, because I'm a sporadic player. I sometimes take large "breaks" from the game.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    I've been playing the game for two years, since slightly before they added the doff system, and I can tell you it wasn't always that way. Once upon a time, when you failed one of the chain assignments, you had to redo it until you passed to continue in the chain. I don't know when that changed, because I'm a sporadic player. I sometimes take large "breaks" from the game.

Yeah. That was based on my observations. I have several characters I've been doing assignment chains for lately around Beta Ursae sector. It's rare that I fail any of them. Sometimes it counts as completed if it fails and sometimes it doesn't. When I was new to the game and failed a chain assignment and it counted as completed for the chain, I mentioned it in zone chat of ESD and other players told me that even if you fail it, it still counts for the chain as complete. So it's more of a hit and miss at this point without extensive testing. I suspect that only certain chain assignments won't count as complete if you fail and you will have to do it again until you succeed, which as pointed out earlier, happened to me at least once.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    I just remembered a specific assignment in a chain I failed and it still counted as being complete. A few days ago I was working on the rolar nebula colonization chain and failed 1 of the 2 assignments that require a few colonists. I still lost the colonists but I checked the assignment chain list and it was checked off meaning the next one in the chain would be available.

On another character several days ago I did an assignment in a different chain and the assignment required a diplomat or advisor with diplomat increasing success. I used a blue quality diplomat and the assignment failed. I still lost the doff but it counted as being complete for the chain.

Perhaps it is intentional when doing assignments in chains that require you to give up 1 or more duty officers that if you fail the assignment, it still counts as being completed for the chain because sometimes players are not able to get replacement doffs to try again and/or the doffs needed players can't afford in the exchange.

And I remembered an assignment that not only does it complete the chain if you fail it, you still get the item that is rewarded. http://sto.gamepedia.com/Assignment:_Negotiate_Delivery_of_Rare_Commodities the Children's Toys chain only has this single assignment (1/1). Even if you fail it you get the strange alien artifact and it counts as the chain being complete. The same goes for the (supposedly) repeatable assignment afterwards. (On character's I've done the repeatable assignment on once, I've never seen it again and it's been months)
  • Options
    valetharvalethar Member Posts: 173 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I hate to burst your bubble butt

Epic typo. :D
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    If it's a bug, it could be something that doesn't always happen. I can definitely remember having to redo a couple assignments in the Caitian 10-mission chain in the past, but that's the one in which I've failed two of them with my current character and it's still progressing in the chain. Or, that could be just a really old memory and they've borked something since them. It's hard to say.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    valethar wrote: »
    Epic typo. :D

Oops. Fixed it. :o (yeah I know the quote in your post won't change.)
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    To be honest I don't know if it is a bug where a doff assignment in a chain failing still counts as completing that part of the chain. It could be intentional. I have no idea.

However, I have just had this happen and now submit proof of what the OP, and I, are saying. Assignment chain: 'Ghosts of the Jem'hadar'.

Assignment 3/10 had failed: in93.jpg

Assignment chain shows the assignment (third in the list) with a checkmark next to it indicating it was completed and the next assignment will be available, instead of forcing me to complete the part that failed until it succeeds: r5aq.jpg

Edit: Come to think of it, I think this is the exact assignment on another character that failed for me a few days ago and it was the same thing. It counted in the chain as being completed. I'm starting to think that 'Ghosts of the Jem'hadar 3/10' is meant to fail. I think at least a third character who did this assignment also failed it, even though it had a good chance to succeed on all characters that failed it. Perhaps this particular assignment is bugged and won't succeed no matter what? Don't think I've ever had it succeed but each time it still counts as being complete for the chain.