test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Earning ZEN?

groomlake32groomlake32 Member Posts: 38 Arc User
edited September 2013 in C-Store, ZEN, and Promotions
Has anyone tried this earning zen business? fill out surveys and what not?

do you actually get awarded the ZEN promised?

I've tried and filled out 4-6 this past week and done exactly what the requirements told me to....only to get nothing...and cryptic/PWE wont/cant deal with it and keeps referring me to the 3rd party survey company's website....

any tips/suggestions/personal stories of people actually getting the promised ZEN?
Post edited by groomlake32 on

Comments

• fluffytargcreamfluffytargcream Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Has anyone tried this earning zen business? fill out surveys and what not?

do you actually get awarded the ZEN promised?

I've tried and filled out 4-6 this past week and done exactly what the requirements told me to....only to get nothing...and cryptic/PWE wont/cant deal with it and keeps referring me to the 3rd party survey company's website....

any tips/suggestions/personal stories of people actually getting the promised ZEN?

It's third party issue. If they don't report your participation to PWE, then you get nothing.
    I did do one of the survey ones, ONCE, but now my registered email is bombarded with spam mails that i was required to recieve for the participation.

It's all "free at your own risk".
  • kyeto13kyeto13 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    IT is a hit or miss business. And alot of the time you will fail fo simply not having an iPhone :rolleyes:

It USE to be worth your time early on, when a 5-minute survey gave you ~300-400 zen. Recently i did one survey for a half hour and only got 84 zen for my troubles. So meh.

However, I did eventually scrape up 800 zen which was enough to give me a head start on bank slot unlocks and the like.

The key is to lie. Don't even attempt to be honest with these vultures unless you absolutely have to in order to unlock the zen. I've taken auto insurance surveys and i don't even own a car :P Just follow the same rule as before on the internet about handing out personal information. Because you WILL get spam. On your phone, in your email, at your house, ect.
    Live on Earth. Work in Space. Play with Dragons. Join the best add on to STO, the Neverwinter holodeck program! Only 14 GPL a month.
  • eagledracoeagledraco Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    So Earning Zen is actually an Advertising Money Maker for PWE? blah
  • tdon7tdon7 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    You're better off grinding out Dil and playing the exchange. Not as fast a Zen maker, but won't hurt your spam filter. :)
    A half faction is no faction at all.
  • chakittychakitty Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I've had some good luck with the surveys and whatnot. I've also had a lot of bad luck with them too. Sometimes it's a TRIBBLE-shoot (I'm referencing an actual table-game here) with the qualifier questions, like which opertating system your phone uses, but there's plenty of times I've gone through the whole thing and got the zen. One was for 349 zen, was definately pleased that it went through once I was done with the survey.
  • carmenaracarmenara Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    tdon7 wrote: »
    You're better off grinding out Dil and playing the exchange. Not as fast a Zen maker, but won't hurt your spam filter. :)

Yeah just farm dil in-game. 4 toons x 8,000 dilithium refined per day = 32k dil which is quite a lot of zen given the ultra low exchange rates this season.

Some fleetmates and I farmed out 2.5k zen for the Regent class in a matter of weeks. One reported farming more than 1.3k zen in -one week-. It's not impossible.

The PWE surveys don't even appear for me as I'm based in Asia. Probably NA/Canada only?
    STF Flight Instructor since Early 2012. Newbies are the reason why STO lives and breathes today. Do not discriminate.

My Youtube Channel
  • caliban149caliban149 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I've done it, set up a totally separate E-mail address because of course filling in these things is a MASSIVE spam magnet.
    Of course only do the ones that don't require any credit card details or to downloading anything! If you do these you probably end up defrauded and virus ridden.

So generally its filling in surveys. . . in about half an hour I got 400 Zen. . . only about 30% of the ones you do will actually credit you with anything.

The whole thing is a MASSIVE scam designed to bombard you with spam and Trojans, but if you just apply pretty standard "Internet smarts" then you can get a little bit of something out of it.
  • harryquinnharryquinn Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I only do the surveys. If it requires a download or a separate sign-up page, I'll close the tab faster than [CENSORED] through a slipstream-equipped goose. Those are, and will always be, pitiful excuses to get useless TRIBBLE onto your hard drive. Or, worse, get your e-mail address unintentionally signed up for yet another round of male organ enlargement pills or female augmentation creams or Yet Another Business Opportunity NOW For Only US$1999.99 (plus HKD359.99 maintenance fee per month that will never be cancelled regardless of how many times you block the charges from your credit card) or the ever popular HI MITSER MISS X I AM NIGERIAN JENREAL THAT CAN HAS UR ACCOUNT INFO FOR NINETEEN POINT EIGHT BILLION EUROS.

Yet surveys generally run through your PWE/Cryptic accounts, and will not automatically spam the TRIBBLE out of your mailbox. Or at least mine hasn't gotten excessively spammed, and I have a gaming-exclusive email account set up so that not everyone on the planet can get hold of my friends-and-relatives account. (Yes. I have 6 different email addresses via 4 different providers. Yes, it gets complicated. Yes, I occasionally get them mixed up. Yes, I tend to forget my passwords on a semi-regular basis. And yes, I do it entirely for personal information security, so yes, it's worth the hassle.)

Also, as someone who has done surveys during spare time for certain other websites, I can also say that PWE gives us a MUCH better time-to-earning ratio than any other program I've ever been involved with. Whether via another Peanut Labs-affiliated website or a completely different program, or even Amazon's non-mechanical Mechanical Turk programs, I'd say PWE gives us an extra 50% of the cut (at a minimum) compared to everybody else I've gone through.
    eagledraco wrote: »
    So Earning Zen is actually an Advertising Money Maker for PWE? blah

Of course they make money off of us by doing this! If they didn't, it wouldn't be called "Earn ZEN" on the dropdown tab. They get more than the standard ZEN price for our submissions, yet we get ZEN for little more than extra ice packs for our carpal tunnel syndrome. Win-win.

But you have to be smart about it. Treat it like any other questionable website out there. Don't download anything. Don't put out your email address. Don't kiss strange boys. Don't forget to wash behind your ears. And don't, for the love of every Deity ever worshiped in the history of all Humanity, DO NOT POST YOUR CREDIT CARD INFORMATION. Or anyone else's credit card information.

Not even my ex-fiancee's. May have been the biggest lying, manipulative, evil, two-faced bucket of septic tank slime mold waste that ever crawled into a rotten bilge, but nothing is worth that much hell.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I've done 10 Surveys and been paid on 6 of them. Some of the Surveys are sneaky, though. They have questions hidden within them like: "If you're reading this question check box 3." It's designed to make people read all of the questions and not just spam-bot them. If you get that answer incorrect you don't get paid. Many of them also have timers - they how long it takes to go through and answer the questions and if someone does them too quickly it's assumed they didn't read, they just picked random answers. If you do it too quickly, again, you won't get paid. The Surveyors aren't stupid. If they're going to pay PW they want to know they're getting real data.

The best chance to collect on a Survey is to really think about what they're wanting to know as you take it - and don't pick Surveys you have no interest in. If you're not into shoes don't pick a shoe Survey. They odd are very good you won't get paid for it.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • daedalus304daedalus304 Member Posts: 1,049 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I know this may be a stupid question but did you check your Zen wallet in your PWE account page? I kept forgetting that the surveys are on PWE's site and rewards it to that site and not directly to STO.
  • dominikmakowski8dominikmakowski8 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    You discovered that now?
    It said that a servey would take 20 minutes. Dont have the nerves so I simply clicked randomly at the answers and 5 minutes later I have earned some ZEN.
    Only problem is that for 2 weeks there has not been any serveys available.
    They just say "Come back tomorrow". What is this???
    Shouldnt Peenut Lab be offering an unlimited stream of research and evaluations? They make money on that, and so does Star Trek Online.
  • kintishokintisho Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Yes surveys work (and videos free offers and a few paid offers) Ive rec. zen (like 5k) in the last few months, surveys can be a pain though you get disqualified 3/4 of the time by race/sex/income/area etc. or they close the survey payout during the survey and u get nota so 1/6 pays but the free offers/video/radio pay regularly so have at just be careful t ready all the terms and conditions on every offer and beware hidden terms charges cancels etc.
  • tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Its just safer to buy zen normally or grind it out in Dilithium form.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • jornadojornado Member Posts: 918 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Rule one, always do the surveys and adware installs in a virtual machine, windows 7 ultimate has XP built is as a VM, makes it nice and easy after downloading everything thru windows update.

Rule two, set up a bunch of gmail accounts. These are throwaway accounts, DO NOT use the same password as your PWE account or regular email account. Some of the software installers have keyloggers, so keep that in mind.

And a tip, if you find a super quick/easy/farmable survey or offer (the alcon contact lens trial was 43ish Zen and took about 2 minutes), log out of the PWE account, close your browser, open it and re login, chances are the offer will be there again, just use a different name and email, and presto, basically infinite Zen. Sometimes just refreshing the page will also cause the offer to reappear.

As long as you are careful, the free offers can be quite reliable and safe sources of Zen.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My guess is "hope" keeps people not playing but posting on the forums. For others, its a path of sad realization and closure. Grieving takes time. The worst "haters" here love the game, or did at some point.
  • jack0neiljack0neil Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I had and only get zen on those that offer 3 to 4 zen. All the others are rubbish, you can spend 20 mins or more filling up a survey just to find out you wasted your time because they so do not credit you the zen and on top of it like everyone said, a bunch of spam e-mails.
  • ctubauer3ctubauer3 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I think Zen should be included if you subsribe monthly.

I look at the list of benefits for subscribing and think "why do i bother?"
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    ctubauer3 wrote: »
    I think Zen should be included if you subsribe monthly.

I look at the list of benefits for subscribing and think "why do i bother?"

Members get 500 free zen per month.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • ctubauer3ctubauer3 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    i've been a member 9 months and never received any zen!
    :s