Install Arc

Do you use torpedoes in PvE?

124»

Comments

• dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    darkdog13 wrote: »
    Pic of the prase or it did't happen.

Already threw my charal and kumari builds on the forums. Took alot to do that...I think its time to let the skepticism run its course. After all, everyone is competition in fleet actions :cool:

Call bs if you wish, but if you parse me, keep it a secret :D

Almost forgot my handle... Joker@acceleron wont do much good if you try to parse some made up guy named Dahminus

Edit: forgot handle
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    "Damnit, Jim, I'm a Doctor, not a Torpedo Technician!"
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    dahminus wrote: »
    Already threw my charal and kumari builds on the forums. Took alot to do that...I think its time to let the skepticism run its course. After all, everyone is competition in fleet actions :cool:

Call bs if you wish, but if you parse me, keep it a secret :D

Almost forgot my handle... Joker@acceleron wont do much good if you try to parse some made up guy named Dahminus

Edit: forgot handle

Both of those builds are curious....hrmm...ahem.

These builds, right?

http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skillplanner/?build=dahminuscharal_0

http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skillplanner/?build=kumarideeps_0
  • iskandusiskandus Member Posts: 1,062 Arc User
    edited August 2013

Gotta love how you digged these up so quickly. ;)

If these are indeed the "20K DPS torps" that Dahminus is referring to, then I can tell you right away these are paper tigers that are only good in theory. The reason is Omega Torpedo Launcher is otherwise known as the "bully torpedo". It fires so rapidly that it wouldn't allow other torps to fire at all. Cryptic has been trying to fix it, it has only got slightly better but still bugged. Just a few months ago, having an Omega Torp on your build automatically disables all other torps on your ship, even if they are not in the same arc. Now, placing Omega Torp besides a Romulan Hyper Plasma, then the Hyper Plasma won't fire 50% of the time or at least the count down will start as though it had just fired but the torps would be missing. Because both the Omega and Romulan Hyper are rapid firing torpedo, the 3rd torpedo will never have a chance to fire.

Omega is great as a stand-alone high pressure weapon when there is no other torpedo around. But it is not coincidental that Torpedo Boats don't use it because it will bully all other torpedos on the ship.

Edit to add: In any event, the the Ambiplasma and Warhead Yield Chamber are the wrong tact consoles for these Plasma Torps. The "punch" of these Plasma Torps is not their kinetic damage, which is useless against shields but their fearsome Plasma DoT, which bypass shields 100%. Neither of these consoles boost the Plasma DoT damage. Instead, with two Plasma DHC that receive no boost at all from Tact consoles and most end-game Shields having an automatic 20%+ resistance against Plasma - the chance of these set ups breaking through any shield is highly unlikely.
  • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    "Damnit, Jim, I'm a Doctor, not a Torpedo Technician!"

You mean projectile weapon's officer!!!
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    You mean projectile weapon's officer!!!

Guess you haven't seen Star Trek Into Darkness yet, right? :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • cloudjumper190cloudjumper190 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    mimey2 wrote: »
    (To start, please don't move this to the Builds section)

I'm curious, does anyone here use torpedoes (and to a lesser extent, mines) in PvE content?

If so, what kinds of kinetic damage do you use, and why do you use it? If not, why don't you use any?

I love using Quantum mines, especially while flying the bigger, slower turn rate vessels. Put that puppy in reverse, n watch the magic. Works superbly with lvl 50 D'deridex. Chroniton torpedoes work ok. I use them on my Scimitar, and D'deridex. PVE is all I do in this game, so these work for me, but may not work for everyone.
  • cgta1967cgta1967 Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I love using Quantum mines, especially while flying the bigger, slower turn rate vessels. Put that puppy in reverse, n watch the magic. Works superbly with lvl 50 D'deridex. Chroniton torpedoes work ok. I use them on my Scimitar, and D'deridex. PVE is all I do in this game, so these work for me, but may not work for everyone.

I use double mines on one of my cruisers...quantums and plasma both. ...blast em with some...burn em with the others :) all while flying nice slow arcs while ejecting warp plasma and spamming beam fire at will to draw them all into the web of explosive despair...... great fun. :cool:

I've reached the point to where I'd much rather use the special weapons from rep

the standard torps are all wonky and they don't work half the time. Heck for chrons i actually have to equip grav gens can you believe that? Not only do they insult us by make believing all ships actually fly with temporal shielding 24/7 but the one ability they do give these torps doesn't even work half the time. I hope they correct it when they go thry voyager's content!
    edited August 2013
    iskandus wrote: »
    Gotta love how you digged these up so quickly. ;)

If these are indeed the "20K DPS torps" that Dahminus is referring to, then I can tell you right away these are paper tigers that are only good in theory. The reason is Omega Torpedo Launcher is otherwise known as the "bully torpedo". It fires so rapidly that it wouldn't allow other torps to fire at all. Cryptic has been trying to fix it, it has only got slightly better but still bugged. Just a few months ago, having an Omega Torp on your build automatically disables all other torps on your ship, even if they are not in the same arc. Now, placing Omega Torp besides a Romulan Hyper Plasma, then the Hyper Plasma won't fire 50% of the time or at least the count down will start as though it had just fired but the torps would be missing. Because both the Omega and Romulan Hyper are rapid firing torpedo, the 3rd torpedo will never have a chance to fire.

Omega is great as a stand-alone high pressure weapon when there is no other torpedo around. But it is not coincidental that Torpedo Boats don't use it because it will bully all other torpedos on the ship.

Edit to add: In any event, the the Ambiplasma and Warhead Yield Chamber are the wrong tact consoles for these Plasma Torps. The "punch" of these Plasma Torps is not their kinetic damage, which is useless against shields but their fearsome Plasma DoT, which bypass shields 100%. Neither of these consoles boost the Plasma DoT damage. Instead, with two Plasma DHC that receive no boost at all from Tact consoles and most end-game Shields having an automatic 20%+ resistance against Plasma - the chance of these set ups breaking through any shield is highly unlikely.

Just a quick jump in, you can set priorities for torpedoes...rom fires, if it doesn't reset then torpedo b fires and if that doesn't reset then the omega will fire until the rom resets...

Ya...i probably should stop talking :rolleyes:

And that charal build was when I first started parsing 15k. Thanks to some awesome people on the forums, they told Mr a way to improve the dps further. Then I got the kumari, more rom boffs and swapped consoles and torps around.

Oh and of course this is in a group where shields are burnt down before most torps reach the target, I really need to stop talking

Quick edit: NPCs don't have resistances

• dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    iskandus wrote: »

As a Sci in a Vesta, I go 2xAux cannons, Quantum Fore, 2xPhaser turrets, Omega aft...

I haven't noticed the Omega cutting into the fire rate of the fore quantum, but then again, I use the Omega as I used to use SFC's ISC-rear-firing plasma I's - forward approach strike, turn, ship omega torps at target rapid fire, letting rear shield soak a little damage, turn and strike again once cooldowns reset and shields are back up...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    lianthelia wrote: »
    I know, I was just saying.

Well with things like Projectile Weapons doffs and slow and heavy torps like Tricobalts and the TDD you could mix and match. Couple Photons and a TC and you would have speed and some power to throw in. Mines in the rear since they take longer to reload and bam I think you would have a powerful ship.

Of course, I'm not doubting it'd be potent, but that's part of the beauty, people WOULD be considering builds like that. A torp-heavy or full-kinetic builds would become very viable in any kind of content.

Heck, I wouldn't mind a full kinetic build on say...my Vo'quv on the KDF side. Load it up with a Chroniton, Romulan, and Transphasic torp up front, with a Nukara, chroniton, and tractor beam mine in the back.
    jetwtf wrote: »
    You mean like the bug that came with LOR where NPC torp would tear up shields then tear up your hull? Had a few assault cruiser NPC's fire a single wide angle quantum followed by torp spread 3 from wide angle and they dropped my Voquv down in hit points quite easily.

Fleet defiant in a random explore a planet with orions flying about and a couple torps ate my shields and hull up like it was candy even when slamming every possible defense because they did it when they were in cooldown lol.

That didnt last long but did make combat with them somewhat 'interesting' lol.

With LOR? I don't believe it was with that, if it's even a bug at all. I remember pretty well that even before that, NPCs seemed to ignore the innate shield resists that all shields had against kinetic damage.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • darkdog13darkdog13 Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    dahminus wrote: »
    Just a quick jump in, you can set priorities for torpedoes...rom fires, if it doesn't reset then torpedo b fires and if that doesn't reset then the omega will fire until the rom resets...

Ya...i probably should stop talking :rolleyes:

And that charal build was when I first started parsing 15k. Thanks to some awesome people on the forums, they told Mr a way to improve the dps further. Then I got the kumari, more rom boffs and swapped consoles and torps around.

Oh and of course this is in a group where shields are burnt down before most torps reach the target, I really need to stop talking

Quick edit: NPCs don't have resistances

Hmm i really want to believe you and i have always wanted a torp boat that was not a stealth boat so i'm gonna try that setup on a scimitar once i get access to the rom torp.

A fleet t'varo would also be a interesting combo sure you lose a tac console but get the mighty red torp of doom.
    edited August 2013
    darkdog13 wrote: »
    Hmm i really want to believe you and i have always wanted a torp boat that was not a stealth boat so i'm gonna try that setup on a scimitar once i get access to the rom torp.

A fleet t'varo would also be a interesting combo sure you lose a tac console but get the mighty red torp of doom.

Well, there's that, plus 10% total damage boost to torps, 20% to torp recharge time, e romulan bonuses so cloak, crit. Critd, bonuses and singularity shinagins...

Pretty ridiculous how t'varos are set up