test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Question, What is RP?.

vadavianthulevadavianthule Member Posts: 138 Arc User
edited September 2013 in The Academy
Hi all.

What is RP? And what does it look like in the sto universe?.

I want to know as when I recruit new members to the fleet sometimes they ask me if we rp. Its just when ive said whats that they arnt to sure themselves. (Only 2 asked me). I thought our fleet played all the content in sto but ive not heard any of it called rp.

Thanks to anyone that responds :-)
Fleet Admiral Davian Thule.
Kobayashi Crew.
Dave@dangerousdave1701
Post edited by vadavianthule on

Comments

• Options
    stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Why did you post this question twice?
  • Options
    eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,056 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    stoutes wrote: »
    Why did you post this question twice?

Mirror universe?
  • Options
    milandaremilandare Member Posts: 194 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    eazzie wrote: »
    Mirror universe?

That would be PR
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Im glad I did. You guys make me laugh. I posted it again because I access the fourm via my smart phone. When I posted the first question I was sat on the bog at work. :eek: When I got home and checked my phone the question was still waiting to be posted (or thats how it was displayed on my phone) so I asumed I had not clicked post at work. It was not untill I clicked post at home that the web page changed to show me I had posted the question twice. :)
    Kobayashi Crew.
    Dave@dangerousdave1701
  • Options
    robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Just in case no-one has answered RP stands for Roleplaying
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Im glad I did. You guys make me laugh. I posted it again because I access the fourm via my smart phone. When I posted the first question I was sat on the bog at work. :eek: When I got home and checked my phone the question was still waiting to be posted (or thats how it was displayed on my phone) so I asumed I had not clicked post at work. It was not untill I clicked post at home that the web page changed to show me I had posted the question twice. :)
    No problem, as Milandre has said, we're counting this under RolePlaying :P.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    milandare wrote: »
    That would be PR

hmmm no comment :)

But RP could also stand for reputation points
  • Options
    edited August 2013

The STO forum is the best forum ever. We all get along, topics are discussed openly. There has never been any outright arguements. Everyone helps out everyone on here. We are all equal. There is no "I'm more experienced than you, so that makes me better than you" attitude. Our Community Manager Branflakes is the best in the world.

Yes, there is the odd occassional poster, that spams or trolls, but they soon go away, because they are dealt with professionally by the mods, plus they don't realise, that because this is a close knit community what ever they spam or however hard they troll nothing phases us.

Best way to think of Branflakes is he manages the community with the authority of Jean-Luc, but the family of Janeway.
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,541 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    "Roleplay" simply means when you play STO, you act in character. It adds to the immersion factor. Everyone does a little RP as a matter of course. Who among the KDF has not replied to a message with Qa'pla? Who among Starfleet has not said, "Make it so." a couple of times? Why would someone do this? Because it's fun. We all get a little too caught up around here sometimes. Then we forget we're playing this game called STO for fun and entertainment. However, like everything else in this game, it is possible to take RP to a ridiculous extreme. And to include the opposite view, like everything else in this game, some players view it as their holy mission to stamp out any RP anywhere and mock those who do enjoy it.

I find when I play my Klink toons, it makes the game a little more enjoyable for me to work a little RP into it. So I dig out my Klingon Primer by Marc Okrand and make the extra effort to use as much tlhIngan language as I can. I also try to not do things with my Klinks which would be contrary to their personalities and to Klingon culture in general. Shoot down Romulan warships in the Tau Dewa daily? Yes. Collect Epohhs? No. Have a jackal mastiff as a vanity and combat pet? Yes. Wear an outfit which is in pastels and has a relaxed, Casual Fridays look to it? No. I'm not including the Risa stuff here. Because the whole player base doesn't have permanent access to it.

RP can be a fun addition to the game which you as a player can totally control. I recommend at least checking it out to see whether or not you like it. You might surprise yourself. But I also recommend doing so in stages. Add a little at a time until you get to where you think it is about the right amount, then stop right there. Going all in all at once from a standing start can be overwhelming and detract from the game.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    great advice.

is it wrong if I put 'The only gear a ship or Away Team really needs is a good Captain.' in my bios? love it :)
    Kobayashi Crew.
    Dave@dangerousdave1701
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    True, that's exactly to the point Vada.

Nice one. :D
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    great advice.

is it wrong if I put 'The only gear a ship or Away Team really needs is a good Captain.' in my bios? love it :)
    You go right on ahead and do whatever you like with it. And thank you for quoting me.
  • Options
    vieth1vieth1 Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    You should ask about "ERP"...that should make your fleet chat more interesting...
  • Options
    graemorhomegraemorhome Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The STO forum is the best forum ever. We all get along, topics are discussed openly. There has never been any outright arguements. Everyone helps out everyone on here. We are all equal. There is no "I'm more experienced than you, so that makes me better than you" attitude. Our Community Manager Branflakes is the best in the world.

Yes, there is the odd occassional poster, that spams or trolls, but they soon go away, because they are dealt with professionally by the mods, plus they don't realise, that because this is a close knit community what ever they spam or however hard they troll nothing phases us.

Best way to think of Branflakes is he manages the community with the authority of Jean-Luc, but the family of Janeway.
    This made me laugh. Out loud. A lot. *wipes tears of humor from face*
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    This made me laugh. Out loud. A lot. *wipes tears of humor from face*

But you don't deny it's true though do you
  • Options
    sirokksirokk Member Posts: 990 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    hmmm no comment :)

But RP could also stand for reputation points

BZZZZZZ! Wrong answer! Deduct 1 Million EC from this players account.

Ok... next question... What happens when you forget to equip your ship with a shield console and go into battle? You have 5 seconds to answer... starting now... (Music plays...)
    Star Trek Battles Channel - Play Star Trek like they did in the series!Avatar: pinterest-com/pin/14003448816884219Are you sure it isn't time for a "colorful metaphor"? --Spock in 'The Voyage Home'
    SCE ADVISORY NOTICE: Improper Impulse Engine maintenance can result in REAR THRUSTER LEAKAGE. ALWAYS have your work inspected by another qualified officer.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    sirokk wrote: »

Ok... next question... What happens when you forget to equip your ship with a shield console and go into battle? You have 5 seconds to answer... starting now... (Music plays...)

Can I use 50/50 phone a friend or ask the audience
  • Options
    edited August 2013

Better ask an RP. RP means unequipping that shield console before beaming into ground missions to ensure you can beam back up
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Better ask an RP. RP means unequipping that shield console before beaming into ground missions to ensure you can beam back up

Umm... what?

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2013

oooooookkkkkkkkkkk and moving on lol:rolleyes:
  • Options
    doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    RPers are those really creepy people trying to have sex with each other. When you encounter them, try to find a member of Starfleet Dental and inform them about this so they can intervene against this public scourge.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    RPers are those really creepy people trying to have sex with each other. When you encounter them, try to find a member of Starfleet Dental and inform them about this so they can intervene against this public scourge.

Are you saying thunderfoot006 wasn't RP'ing when he wrote post #10? I take back my fit of the giggles.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Hmmm... I don't think RP means what you apparently are hoping it does. I had a pool going on how many posts it would take before someone mentioned Those Who Are Really Annoying And Should Always Be Ignored. Looks like my Fleetmate owes me an Embassy Console, lol.

Sycophancy and blatant attention mongering are so very much unhip, doncha think? But thank you for reminding me to send Dear Leader that new pair of uniform pants. The ones with turn signals on the back pocket. This means you can avoid yet another serious neck injury.
  • Options
    corelogikcorelogik Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I consider an RP to be when you conduct your character as if you WERE living in the time and place you appear to be,... your conversation, conduct, behavior etc,.. reflect as though you were the starship captain your character appears to be.
    "Go play with your DPS in the corner, I don't care how big it is." ~ Me
    "There... are... four... lights!" ~Jean Luc Picard
  • Options
    edited August 2013

Rats! Missed the time cutoff.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    But you don't deny it's true though do you

I took your post as eloquent sarcasm, so yes, I do.
  • Options
    astro2244astro2244 Member Posts: 623 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Pretty much rp is just like Historical reenactment's like the revolutionary war for example. You try to think how a person would think in the time period and try to basically be as much like the character as possible. like being in a play really.
    [SIGPIC]583px-Romulan_Star_Empire_logo%2C_2379.svg.png
    [/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I took your post as eloquent sarcasm, so yes, I do.

No sarcasm at all just speaking the truth. The STO forum is the best in the world. If it wasn't for Brandon he would not of been nominated in the up coming dragon slayer awards as he has been recognised for the great work he puts into the forum ensuring it is fun and friendly. More importantly welcoming
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    nabreeki wrote: »
    There's no way this isn't sarcasm. This forum is rife with chest-thumping hubris, fleet Drama, and arguments (not to mention, occasional xenophobia). Either you knowingly gloss over it all, or you have a great selective memory.

There are always exceptions, and Dental's existence isn't exactly helping to reduce their numbers.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg