test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Country / Continent PvP Tournament

naz4naz4 Member Posts: 1,373 Arc User
edited August 2013 in PvP Gameplay
Was just looking at OrganizedPvP channel and for the first time in ages, someone had a good idea about country Vs. Country / Continent Vs Continent PvP. (Think it was Gorn of the Dead)

I thought this would be an awesome idea.

If need be, the countries with "lesser" player bases could be lumped into 1 team.

This would allow fleet tags and fleet loyalties (Source of most of the chaos in the PvP community) to be made irrelevant and allow for a good ol' "Kick the S*** out of each other" tournament.

Should become a monthly event with Hybrid No BS 1 and 3 rules. Anyone gets to host it.

We should have the fun day, say "GG", and back to normal the day after if you really feel like it. (Bit like Christmas during World War 2 but monthly)

I personally think this would help rifts in the PvP community to close up over time and allow each other to see we're just human nerds behind a computer screen :)

Think of it as "STOlympics" (Cheesy but fun name, i know :) )

What say you all?
Post edited by naz4 on

Comments

• Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    naz4 wrote: »
    I personally think this would help rifts in the PvP community to close up over time and allow each other to see we're just human nerds behind a computer screen :)

What say you all?

That's a tough one. While it might diminish some rifts, some of those rifts are already based around regions (after all, folks tend to gravitate toward players that are on around the same time that they are - so that they're not just sitting there by themselves). Some folks have different hours of real life, so it can get mixed up some and there are going to be various windows of opportunity depending on the difference in timezones...

...and well, it's going to get into nationalism and all those rifts, no? There's already anti-American, anti-German, anti-Australian, etc, etc, etc stuff going on. Already got Eastern Europe vs. Western Europe, the English against the Continent...heck, even the English argue with the British over whether they should be English or British. Pretty much any nationalistic divide that exists...exists.

In a twisted way, isn't it better that folks dislike each other just because they dislike each other rather than turning it into some sort of flag waving fanatic fiasco?
  • Options
    aquitaine985aquitaine985 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Though I don't count myself even in the top 25 GB players, I'm happy to throw my hat in until a better appears.

Are we going to be taken to a STOlympic Village and handed a fistful of jevonite/johnnies?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    @Aquitaine985
    Lag Industries STO PvP Fleet - Executive
    A Sad Panda of Industrial calibre.
    2010: This is Cryptic PvP. Please hold the line, your call is very important to us...
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Are we going to be taken to a STOlympic Village and handed a fistful of jevonite/johnnies?

Now thats a quote and a half............lol
    That's a tough one. While it might diminish some rifts, some of those rifts are already based around regions (after all, folks tend to gravitate toward players that are on around the same time that they are - so that they're not just sitting there by themselves). Some folks have different hours of real life, so it can get mixed up some and there are going to be various windows of opportunity depending on the difference in timezones...

...and well, it's going to get into nationalism and all those rifts, no? There's already anti-American, anti-German, anti-Australian, etc, etc, etc stuff going on. Already got Eastern Europe vs. Western Europe, the English against the Continent...heck, even the English argue with the British over whether they should be English or British. Pretty much any nationalistic divide that exists...exists.

In a twisted way, isn't it better that folks dislike each other just because they dislike each other rather than turning it into some sort of flag waving fanatic fiasco?

You forgot 1 thing - We wont be around each other long enough to "group" together and create new rifts - Think of it as an extension to TD
  • Options
    cerritourugcerritourug Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I think there is only 2 ppl form Uruguay that do PVP, so I guess we are out ;)

Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
  • Options
    talzerotwotalzerotwo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    How about factions, the America's (north south central america made of south and central American countries with us and Canada as north America obviously. Vs pacific Asia vs eastern/western Europe?
    [SIGPIC]http://tinyurl.com/msywqm5[/SIGPIC]
    Chillax. No Ego. No Drama.

Like my alien? Watch THE VIDEO
    Need custom graphics for you or your fleet? Click HERE
  • Options
    edited August 2013

"If need be, the countries with "lesser" player bases could be lumped into 1 team." Nope, you would be in.

Or make it Continent Vs Continent entering multiple random generated teams from the same continent if necessary.
    talzerotwo wrote: »
    How about factions, the America's (north south central america made of south and central American countries with us and Canada as north America obviously. Vs pacific Asia vs eastern/western Europe?

Why not....
  • Options
    bobtheyakbobtheyak Member Posts: 374 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Go Team America!
  • Options
    v1ctor1stv1ctor1st Member Posts: 183 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    If yer struggling for folks for the GB team put me on reserve, i aint a great pvp'er though, only average :)
    AhvtPz9.jpg
    • "You know when that shark bites, with its teeth dear... scarlet billows start to spread..."
  • Options
    stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Canadians, show yourselves! ;)
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
  • Options
    rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    One hundred billion points for whoever came up with the word "STOlympics" :)
  • Options
    g0h4n4g0h4n4 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    +1 Team GB
    Now found frequenting MWO short term and then Star Citizen long term. Raged Quit PVP long ago
    - Gohan (House of Beautiful /Sad Pandas)
  • Options
    havamhavam Member Posts: 1,735 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    In order to turn this into the STOlympics, and not the commonwealth games. Maybe Brandon could help with contacting the community reps for the french and german sto forums. ....i know i know everyone reads english....still.

I personally would favor a soccer style world cup thing. But Football playoffs could be cool, never managed to wrap my head around how those worked.

The cricket style 5 d group matches might be fun (for some).

Nice idea naz.
  • Options
    talzerotwotalzerotwo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    american football style converted to sto specs

each faction holds their own internal contest. from there, the winning team (as is or modified) competes in the international area.... there you have the World Trophy :P. At the end of it, everyone goes to hawaii to just have a fun game... then chill, cuz theyre in hawaii :)
    [SIGPIC]http://tinyurl.com/msywqm5[/SIGPIC]
    Chillax. No Ego. No Drama.

Like my alien? Watch THE VIDEO
    Need custom graphics for you or your fleet? Click HERE
  • Options
    milandaremilandare Member Posts: 194 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Team Singapore here. No, down here. Careful, don't step on me!

The fatter countries should be sliced up into states. Only let them merge (contiguously) if they're undermanned. For example, Singapore might need to join Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Bangladesh, India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Iran, Turkey, Bulgaria, Romania and Ukraine in order to find a team-mate in Poland...
  • Options
    kolln95kolln95 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    As for me, first and foremost it is obviously a new kind of tournament would be here. Really I would love it, because it is an opporunity to show that not only american, german, british, italian, spanish and french players are there. This is an advantage.

However a bit disadvanage, as some of you may speak of. That this will lead us to arguments again, and only rivalry. In this case it would not be a good idea.

So really hard to decide about it. If it was done, I would gladly attend in this, but I dunno... :(

Hussar Guardian Forces
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    drkfrontiersdrkfrontiers Member Posts: 2,477 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Great idea, only concern is that certain areas will be multiple teams represented so odds of that country have increased before the match has even started.

If each country can ONLY field 1 team, then thats a different story altogether.

I would happily join Team South Africa!!!
  • Options
    drunkadmiraldrunkadmiral Member Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Was just looking at OrganizedPvP channel and for the first time in ages, someone had a good idea about country Vs. Country....

I had this idea 6 months ago in opvp, Hank or Bleaps can confirm it.
    The problem is how to organize the tournament, there must be only one team per country, to avoid the situation to have top 3 places from same country, next 3 places from other country,etc... I agree with talzerotwo "each faction holds their own internal contest. from there, the winning team (as is or modified) competes in the international area". The other problem is countries with low numbers of players. For example we are only 2 players from my country, and i dont know any pvp'rs from countries relatively near us. :)

Cronos@DrunkUncle
  • Options
    scurry5scurry5 Member Posts: 1,554 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    milandare wrote: »
    Team Singapore here. No, down here. Careful, don't step on me!

The fatter countries should be sliced up into states. Only let them merge (contiguously) if they're undermanned. For example, Singapore might need to join Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Bangladesh, India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Iran, Turkey, Bulgaria, Romania and Ukraine in order to find a team-mate in Poland...

You've got another player here. ASEAN corps, anyone?
  • Options
    ussultimatumussultimatum Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Think of it as "STOlympics" (Cheesy but fun name, i know )

What say you all?

What if we used a semi-cookie cutter team format to generate random teams, and then we could side step the whole country issue people are bringing up?

Tournament is set with a decided number of teams (potentially), let's say 5 teams to start.

Tournament organizer announces number of "slots available".

Slots are designated by overall character ship role
    ex: Damage, Control, Healing

Each player signs up and lists their ship role - while some might disagree with this, the career is agnostic and only the role the character/ship was designed for is designated.

An example:

Tournament is set for 5 teams, 25 total players.
    Each team gets
    2 Damage
    2 Healers
    1 Controller

This means there are:
    10 damage dealer slots available
    10 healer slots available
    5 controller slots available

So sign ups go according to this, with players signing up to be in one of these slots.

Then

We create the Damage Dealer selections randomly using this tool:

http://chir.ag/projects/team-maker/

Here is what we get for the Damage Dealers (using fictional players, numbered 1 to 10):

Damage Dealer Distribution

Then we create the selections for Healer & Controller in a similar fashion using the same team names.

I admit this just came to me while I was reading the thread, and I threw it together.

Perhaps other people have input that could help refine and simply it.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I only really see two problems, one being deciding. I know the UK has a LOT of really good players, while only a small portion of them may sign up, who decides?

And when fighting other countries your going to be fighting other timezones, which might be a bit of a pain lol.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    @Aquitaine985
    2010: This is Cryptic PvP. Please hold the line, your call is very important to us...
  • Options
    ussultimatumussultimatum Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I only really see two problems, one being deciding. I know the UK has a LOT of really good players, while only a small portion of them may sign up, who decides?

And when fighting other countries your going to be fighting other timezones, which might be a bit of a pain lol.

Agreed, that's what inspired my idea.
  • Options
    s7ikes7ike Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    sigh....looks like what we were talking about slipped :/. We had this idea after the last tourney, no rules or bans just your fellow countryman.
  • Options
    edited August 2013

Well you could put the teams that have the same time zone within reasonable measure up against each other first to narrow down the playing field and once that has been done you start to accommodate the opposite time zones.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    -Deleted(Secondary post)
  • Options
    playhard88playhard88 Member Posts: 733 Arc User
    edited August 2013

Since uruguay is an small province of Argentina, u could play with us :o

/troll
    John Sheridan@playhard88 - FED Tactical
    Vin Naftero@playhard88 - FED Sciencie
    K'tan@playhard88 - KDF Tactical
    Argento@playhard88 - RRF Tactical (FED)
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    playhard88 wrote: »
    Since uruguay is an small province of Argentina, u could play with us :o

/troll

To that end, you could simply have an "International" team comprised of similar time zoned countries who do not have enough players from their respected countries.
  • Options
    eamoncooeamoncoo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Well you can certainly put me down though I doubt there will be a team Ireland :(
    So I guess I'm stuck with Reg.......
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    nandospcnandospc Member Posts: 1,260 Arc User
    edited August 2013
  • Options
    playhard88playhard88 Member Posts: 733 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    nandospc wrote: »
    ok, italy vs rest of the world :D

2-1 without messi, gg
    John Sheridan@playhard88 - FED Tactical
    Vin Naftero@playhard88 - FED Sciencie
    K'tan@playhard88 - KDF Tactical
    Argento@playhard88 - RRF Tactical (FED)
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    eamoncoo wrote: »
    Well you can certainly put me down though I doubt there will be a team Ireland :(
    So I guess I'm stuck with Reg.......

Pfft, other way around, Declan :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    @Aquitaine985