test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Subspace Connection: Conspiracies and Iconians Revealed

msk5msk5 Member Posts: 185 Arc User
I think I've figured it all out.

So I realized something. How do Iconian gateways work? Best guess is they are some form of super advanced travel through subspace.

Who are the only known alien allies of the Iconians? The Elachi, who seem to live in Subspace and have extremely advanced subspace tech.

Who else have super advanced subspace tech? Well, the Vaadwaur do. And DStahl just said this: "This ancient, full-Carrier vessel uses subspace technology and was created by an alien race that may be related to the Iconians. As captains venture into the new feature episode, they?ll learn more about where this ship comes and get a chance to captain it in combat."

Yeah I know the Voth are the antagonists of the next series, but that's opening Delta Quadrant species, and who's to say they'll just introduce one? The ship doesn't really sound Voth to me, it might be, but they fly city ships, and there are "other unknown aliens" in the Dyson Spheres we're going to encounter.

So if the Vaadwaur have an Iconian connection, it all ties back to subspace technology, again. Let's look a little further ahead from Season 8 into 9, 10, perhaps. Who else has super advanced subspace technology? If that's the common thread across the Iconian legacy, lets think. Who else could have an Iconian connection? Maybe another species with a demolished homeworld and great skill at building superweapons? Anyone fit that description?

The Xindi.

Now that's interesting enough, but lets go one more step all the way from the stuff I'm pretty confident about to total crazytown: There's a big question mark about the Xindi. The Xindi-Avians. The only appearance of them is a skull. This skull:
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Xindi-Avian

That's interesting looking, no? Pretty cool. But its shape is strangely familiar. Where have I seen a head that looks like that?

Well this looks.. Oddly similar, doesn't it?

Did the avians really "Fail to survive"? Or did they simply go somewhere? Or were they perhaps from somewhere else entirely? Why were they the only Xindi subtype to be entirely wiped out in the destruction of Xindus? We know the avians had spread to at least one other planet, and their ruins were traced back thousands of years.

Maybe they just opened a door to a faraway place and passed into legend...
Post edited by msk5 on

Comments

• Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I didn't know Dan Brown was posting on our forum !
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    ERm... well... I disagree with the idea that the Avians are somehow involved. They weren't technically advanced.

But... the Vaadwaur? Heck yeah. Despite having been in stasis for 900 years the Vaddwaur had a few tricks up their sleeves that modern Federation tech can't touch. Then there's Unter-Space. the Vaadwaur didn't create it but they understood it far better than any other race and we don't really know how far they may have gone in it whilst fleeing the Turei.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The Iconians have highly advanced technology so it is unlikely that the Vaadwaur would be able to grab only one piece of their technology. Personally, I extremely despise the whole Aliens created the Pyramids idea. Where because people of our age can't understand how humans created the pyramids, then aliens must be involved. Or in this case, because some alien race needed alien help to reach Underspace. Personally, I believe in the idea that they had a faulty Underspace node that leaked into normal space so they could obtain readings of it or through some fluke, they were able to reach Underspace. Making the Vaadwaur into Iconian allies cheapens them as it cheapened the Tal Shiar.

Making the Xindi-Avians into Iconian allies makes less sense. Xindi-Avians are like a warning to other races of what might have happened to other races as they were trying for world unification. You better be friendly with other races or you could lose your home planet and/or race.

If you are looking for people that have advanced subspace technology, then you might want to look at the people that abducted Riker every night while he was sleeping which was the Schisms episode. They could have originally came from the Star Trek universe and for whatever reason, decided to go to a level of subspace. The ancient alien carrier ship with subspace capabilities could have been one of their ships before they left the universe. Could even make an Iconian connection with them since there is little information on them. The race turning into solanogen based lifeforms could be reason enough to leave the universe and leave most of their technology.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    starkaos wrote: »
    If you are looking for people that have advanced subspace technology, then you might want to look at the people that abducted Riker every night while he was sleeping which was the Schisms episode. They could have originally came from the Star Trek universe and for whatever reason, decided to go to a level of subspace. The ancient alien carrier ship with subspace capabilities could have been one of their ships before they left the universe. Could even make an Iconian connection with them since there is little information on them. The race turning into solanogen based lifeforms could be reason enough to leave the universe and leave most of their technology.
    Actually the Solanagen aliens were beleived by Geordi and Data to be unable to live outside subspace. though the Elachi have used similar tactics in the game. :)
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    My guess is that the voth, preservers and wormhole aliens are the ones that bombed iconia or know about the bombing of iconia and know about the iconian threat.
    I am also betting the Borg are borgifying everything all of a sudden to counter the iconian threat.
    I am also betting that bajor and will whine.
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    chalpen wrote: »
    My guess is that the voth, preservers and wormhole aliens are the ones that bombed iconia or know about the bombing of iconia and know about the iconian threat.
    I am also betting the Borg are borgifying everything all of a sudden to counter the iconian threat.
    I am also betting that bajor and will whine.
    Now there's an interesting line of discussion. :D

WHO BOMBED ICONIA?!?!

None of the main races was even a spacefaring civilization. What races do we know of that were space faring at that time?

I doubt the preservers were involved. My best guess is that the preservers had already seeded the galaxy and gone into stasis by then.

But the Voth? Maybe. If they hadn't left the area yet.

Another possibility is the Tkon. But... they're probably extinct. Probably.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I always believed that the people that bombed Iconia were the slaves who rebelled against them.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Actually the Solanagen aliens were beleived by Geordi and Data to be unable to live outside subspace. though the Elachi have used similar tactics in the game. :)

There are always methods to go from real space to subspace or subspace to real space. Although, having to wear a suit all the time makes it so that such trips are temporary. Could just put the Solanagen aliens into an EV suit like Tholians and have certain areas that allow them without a suit through technology.
  • Options
    tlamstriketlamstrike Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    WHO BOMBED ICONIA?!?!

I always assumed it was some of their subject races. The Iconians were probably so focused on their gate technology they neglected space travel and got steamrolled by lower tech spacecraft. Considering their only known anti-starship weapon is a computer virus probe capable of destroying a Galaxy class starship having a bunch of ships run with something analogous to a mechanical computer or a Apollo Program type computer has a kind of poetry.
    My Romulan Liberated Borg character made it to Level 30 and beat the (old) Defense of New Romulus with the skill point bug. :D
  • Options
    tlamstriketlamstrike Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    There are always methods to go from real space to subspace or subspace to real space. Although, having to wear a suit all the time makes it so that such trips are temporary. Could just put the Solanagen aliens into an EV suit like Tholians and have certain areas that allow them without a suit through technology.
    Or they had to adapt themselves to exist outside of subspace... a reason why they were experimenting on the Enterprise crew?
    My Romulan Liberated Borg character made it to Level 30 and beat the (old) Defense of New Romulus with the skill point bug. :D
  • Options
    brigadooombrigadooom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    tlamstrike wrote: »
    I always assumed it was some of their subject races. The Iconians were probably so focused on their gate technology they neglected space travel and got steamrolled by lower tech spacecraft. Considering their only known anti-starship weapon is a computer virus probe capable of destroying a Galaxy class starship having a bunch of ships run with something analogous to a mechanical computer or a Apollo Program type computer has a kind of poetry.

That was Picard's assumption too, which speaks to just how powerful Gate technology was/is, but also to either the fact that, militarily, the Iconians didn't think of everything (assuming they truly were expansionistic and conquering), or that they weren't an aggressive species.

I'm not sure we can be certain that the probe was a weapon, so much as simply so advanced a piece of technology that it could overpower lesser technologies in its honest attempt to simply understand/communicate (similar to the Cytherians' mind-rewriting-probe's code, Voyage Home's Whale Probe and its signal's devastating side effects). This could indicate the Iconians were perhaps simply explorative and peaceful. Picard did insinuate that the Iconians' technology was so feared by other species, that they preemptively attacked the Iconians and painted them as the bad guys.
    The victors invariably write the history to their own advantage. There is an unfortunate tendency in many cultures to fear what they do not understand.
    ----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    msk5msk5 Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    As to who bombed Iconia, I have always liked the idea that the Q, before they got all Q-y were one of the four races. It would also go a good deal toward explaining Q's peculiar interest in stopping them. I think the Founders may well have been victims of the Iconians, but not one of the species that actually fought them. The Prophets are a fair bet, similar to the Q. The Borg, possibly, it is implied in one of the Romulan missions that the Borg have known about the Iconians for ages, they're referred to as Species 87 or something. The Voth would make some sense, but they seem a bit too worldly compared to the other candidates, I don't know. I'm clearly leaning toward the "all the species who took out the Iconians are effectively gods" angle.

Also the Iconians have some powerful ships, they make really quick work of the Borg in the one mission where an Iconian Dreadnought does more than sit there then jump away. I think their ships are likely as advanced as their gate technology, but likely highly automated.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    msk5 wrote: »
    As to who bombed Iconia, I have always liked the idea that the Q, before they got all Q-y were one of the four races. It would also go a good deal toward explaining Q's peculiar interest in stopping them. I think the Founders may well have been victims of the Iconians, but not one of the species that actually fought them. The Prophets are a fair bet, similar to the Q. The Borg, possibly, it is implied in one of the Romulan missions that the Borg have known about the Iconians for ages, they're referred to as Species 87 or something. The Voth would make some sense, but they seem a bit too worldly compared to the other candidates, I don't know. I'm clearly leaning toward the "all the species who took out the Iconians are effectively gods" angle.

Also the Iconians have some powerful ships, they make really quick work of the Borg in the one mission where an Iconian Dreadnought does more than sit there then jump away. I think their ships are likely as advanced as their gate technology, but likely highly automated.
    And this cuts to the heart of the question. :D

The races that rebelled and managed to counterattack and defeat the Iconians did so many millenia ago. Wouldn't it make sense for the victors to have made a new life for themselves? Where did they go? What happened to them? Why aren't they here now?

Though I personally doubt that the Q or Prophets were directly involved.... the Borg... are an interesting possibility. As for the Founders.... well.... The Starcharts books show that the Iconians used to live in part of what is now the Dominion. Hmm..... interesting.... :)
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    And this cuts to the heart of the question. :D

The races that rebelled and managed to counterattack and defeat the Iconians did so many millenia ago. Wouldn't it make sense for the victors to have made a new life for themselves? Where did they go? What happened to them? Why aren't they here now?

Though I personally doubt that the Q or Prophets were directly involved.... the Borg... are an interesting possibility. As for the Founders.... well.... The Starcharts books show that the Iconians used to live in part of what is now the Dominion. Hmm..... interesting.... :)

Interesting speculation all around.

I think the idea here would be an exploration of a pre-omnipotent Q.

The Prophets? I can see the plot eventually involving them, particularly if this subspace speculation holds up. Probably in one of four ways.

1) They wind up targeted.

2) The question could be raised if similar lifeforms exist in other subspace conduits. Does EVERY wormhole have its own Prophets?

3) The Pah Wraiths get drafted into the Iconian conflict with a promise of their own "celestial temple", which the Iconians could possibly create.

4) The Fire Caves. They're a trap for subspace lifeforms. If we knew how they worked, perhaps we could jam Iconian gateways. The downside? Gul Dukat is down there.

I really want to see Dukat in game. Marc Alaimo is on my short list of characters I'd want in STO. Doubly so if he double crosses us and becomes a spokesman for the Iconians. Because that's what he does: side with any authority he pleases to get what he wants.
  • Options
    fmgtorres1979fmgtorres1979 Member Posts: 1,327 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    My money is on the Q continuum.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    msk5 wrote: »

It is also possible that Q gave certain technology to the Iconians and it got used in the wrong way. I just don't see the Q being around as corporeal beings when the Iconians were around. Iconia was bombarded about 200,000 years ago and the Q evolved to their current state most likely millions of years ago. I don't see the Prophets interacting with any other race besides the Bajorans. If Iconia was bombarded 200,000 years ago, then the Borg most likely know about them through assimilated races or finding Iconian relics of their own and not personal experience since the Vaadwaur considered them as a nuisance when they went to cold sleep.

I personally prefer the idea that the destruction of Iconia created new Empires from the former slave races and some of them perished while others evolved beyond such things. So not non-corporeal evolution, but evolved past the need for conquest and other mundane desires.
  • Options
    sunseahlsunseahl Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    You know the best part of this discussion? You guys are doing the DEVs job for them, lorecraft-wise. :P
    Member of the "Disenchanted"
    We don't want what the Feds have. We want the equivalent. We want fairer treatment. Concern, desire, greed to some extent, and passionate belief that the enough people would buy KDF items to make it worth Cryptic's while.
  • Options
    sampa4sampa4 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    You know, I am actually wondering if we really know for sure that the Iconians are completely involved... Have you noticed that we have NEVER seen a T'Kon ship in any Star Trek series? What if the mystery ship that had "abducted" Sela's Scimitar actually was not Iconian at all, but of T'Kon origin? Just some food for thought.
  • Options
    walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    If you are looking for people that have advanced subspace technology, then you might want to look at the people that abducted Riker every night while he was sleeping which was the Schisms episode.
    They *are* they Elachi. It's confirmed in a couple of cut-scenes in the Romulan campaign.
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Well, there's next month...

http://www.onrpg.com/articles/star-trek-online-interview-with-daniel-stahl/

Are there any other awesome ships that are being worked on right now that you can tell us about? Or maybe the sort of ?if we told you we?d have to kill you? sort of things? (Please, no killing)

We?ll keep the settings on stun and talk about the exclusive new alien ship that we are working on as a special reward for completing the new Feature Episode releasing in September.

This ancient, full-Carrier vessel uses subspace technology and was created by an alien race that may be related to the Iconians. As captains venture into the new feature episode, they?ll learn more about where this ship comes and get a chance to captain it in combat.

So...more Iconian Plots, more Subspace, more...speculation, eh?
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,105 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    So this Carrier was made by someone who is or was connected to the Iconians....

Is it going to be a ship that belonged to the Dewa {sp?) ... The previous owners of "New Romulas"

Maybe the Iconian took some slaves with them as they retreated into X??? Maybe it's a derelict?
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Now there's an interesting line of discussion. :D

WHO BOMBED ICONIA?!?!

None of the main races was even a spacefaring civilization. What races do we know of that were space faring at that time?

I doubt the preservers were involved. My best guess is that the preservers had already seeded the galaxy and gone into stasis by then.

But the Voth? Maybe. If they hadn't left the area yet.

Another possibility is the Tkon. But... they're probably extinct. Probably.

The Voth could have been involved, it depends on the exact date they achieved transwarp capability, even so another faction might have been able to bring forces from around the Galaxy to finally destroy them. Either way, the Voth could very well be a gold mine of information regarding the Iconians; it'd be hard to imagine either side not coming into contact with one another other during the height of the Iconian civilization.

The only other source, which could shed light on them, would be Portal 63 of the Tkon Empire, he's still around, waiting until needed.
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    sampa4 wrote: »
    You know, I am actually wondering if we really know for sure that the Iconians are completely involved... Have you noticed that we have NEVER seen a T'Kon ship in any Star Trek series? What if the mystery ship that had "abducted" Sela's Scimitar actually was not Iconian at all, but of T'Kon origin? Just some food for thought.

The "mystery ship" is already confirmed as Iconian. At the end of the mission "The Return" (Undine Storyline Arc), the mystery ship appears and takes down the Borg, the identification marker says "Iconian".
    It is also possible that Q gave certain technology to the Iconians and it got used in the wrong way. I just don't see the Q being around as corporeal beings when the Iconians were around. Iconia was bombarded about 200,000 years ago and the Q evolved to their current state most likely millions of years ago. I don't see the Prophets interacting with any other race besides the Bajorans. If Iconia was bombarded 200,000 years ago, then the Borg most likely know about them through assimilated races or finding Iconian relics of their own and not personal experience since the Vaadwaur considered them as a nuisance when they went to cold sleep.

Na, don't like the idea of the Q having to do with the Iconians outside of warning our characters. And mixing in the Profits just seems just out there.

However, there is a strange coincidence with the timeline that the Iconians disappeared 200,000 years ago and the Borg appeared around the same time. Also, if you look at the Borg (especially the Queen) and the Iconians from the artwork and the Hologram on New Romulus, they both seem to have a strange similarity with the sloped craniums.

There is a problem with an Iconian and Borg connection through, the Borg homeworld was deep on the Delta Quadrant, and we have no idea if the Iconians were even active in that part of the Galaxy.

Right now, it's feeling farfetched that there is any real historical links between the Iconains and the Borg, unless the original Borg Species was forced or coerced into making an Artifical Intelligence Network that resulted in the creation of the Borg. But given the Borg didn't begin their expansion until 199000 years later, it's doubtful that they had any kind of space capabilities and were the ones who attacked Iconia.

But what's say the original Borg were actually the last remnants of the Iconians, who had lost their advanced technology and started over using what they had left (which was equivalent to 21st Century Earth techonlogy)? Would explain why the Borg were inactive for hundreds of thousands of years, since the Early Collective was effectively techonlogically stalled since everyone was drones and there was no innovation. At least until some hapless aliens landed on the Borg World and gave the Borg means to leave the planet. :rolleyes:
    I personally prefer the idea that the destruction of Iconia created new Empires from the former slave races and some of them perished while others evolved beyond such things. So not non-corporeal evolution, but evolved past the need for conquest and other mundane desires.

I'm hoping that Cryptic would make up something less cliche. Because having slave races rebel against a Galactic Empire seems awfully identical to the plot of KoToR with the slaves revolting against the Rakata and eventually drove them to extinction.
  • Options
    captz1ppcaptz1pp Member Posts: 931 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I've recently been thinking that some of the Iconians attackers could have off-shoots that are now Federation or KDF members, or are members themselves, and are hiding information.
  • Options
    scurry5scurry5 Member Posts: 1,554 Arc User
    edited August 2013

If they took the ST:Gateways novel series into consideration, the gateway tech actually was a gift from the Q to the Iconians.
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    My preference (especially for STO) is that:

The Doomsday Device was used in the bombardment of Iconia.

The Borg were a force in opposition the Iconians. (Which is why the Iconians had a technology destroying virus.)

Likewise, both of these groups may refer to the Iconians:

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Old_Ones_(Exo_III)

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Old_Ones_(extragalactic)

My idea there is that the Iconians had a race of android slaves and that they were victims of a robot revolt. My take on the Borg, which is somewhat different, is that rather than truly being organics who added machine parts, perhaps they began as androids who started grafting on organic tissue like the Borg did to Data in First Contact.

This would be a natural response for androids dealing with a computer-destroying virus like the one the Iconians were using. In order to deal with the Iconian anti-tech virus, this android race had to swap out more and more of their machine parts for flesh, engineered or harvested. They want to "achieve perfection" (return to a state of machine life) but cannot until someone cracks the Iconian virus which makes them vulnerable unless they employ organic matter.

Oh. And I see the Ornithoids from Catspaw as the first heralds of the Iconians' return.

And I'm relatively certain Iconian tech causes irrational behavior at a distance. When you look back at Contagion, it's like all the captains were practically possessed. And in DS9's To the Death, you have a Jem'Hadar who abandoned his religion and broke ranks because he had to possess the gateway.

I could easily see them being linked to The Sword of Kahless, which also causes madness/squabbling/greed.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Interesting speculation all around.

I think the idea here would be an exploration of a pre-omnipotent Q.
    Interesting idea to be sure. What IS the origin of the Q? Many conflicting things have been said about it.
    The Prophets? I can see the plot eventually involving them, particularly if this subspace speculation holds up. Probably in one of four ways.

1) They wind up targeted.

2) The question could be raised if similar lifeforms exist in other subspace conduits. Does EVERY wormhole have its own Prophets?

3) The Pah Wraiths get drafted into the Iconian conflict with a promise of their own "celestial temple", which the Iconians could possibly create.

4) The Fire Caves. They're a trap for subspace lifeforms. If we knew how they worked, perhaps we could jam Iconian gateways. The downside? Gul Dukat is down there.

I really want to see Dukat in game. Marc Alaimo is on my short list of characters I'd want in STO. Doubly so if he double crosses us and becomes a spokesman for the Iconians. Because that's what he does: side with any authority he pleases to get what he wants.
    Oohhh... interesting idea. :D
    Well, the Vaadwaur claims about the Borg are problematic when placed in context so I'm not sure we can really rely on them. It's possible that the Vaadwaur simply didn't know what they were talking about. There's little reason to beleive the Vaadwaur had a complete map of Borg space.
    Maybe, but... who? where? Though this reminds me of how Picard had a habit of casually mentioning dead civilizations that were never mentioned again....
    sampa4 wrote: »
    Actually, Tkon ships have been never seen on screen. The only episode to feature their stuff didn't not show their ships, only a holographic computer interfact and some sort of energy collecting crystals.
    amosov78 wrote: »
    The Voth could have been involved, it depends on the exact date they achieved transwarp capability, even so another faction might have been able to bring forces from around the Galaxy to finally destroy them. Either way, the Voth could very well be a gold mine of information regarding the Iconians; it'd be hard to imagine either side not coming into contact with one another other during the height of the Iconian civilization.

The only other source, which could shed light on them, would be Portal 63 of the Tkon Empire, he's still around, waiting until needed.
    I wonder what he's told the Federation since he met Riker? I can't imagine the Federation NOT trying to learn from him.
    However, there is a strange coincidence with the timeline that the Iconians disappeared 200,000 years ago and the Borg appeared around the same time. Also, if you look at the Borg (especially the Queen) and the Iconians from the artwork and the Hologram on New Romulus, they both seem to have a strange similarity with the sloped craniums.

There is a problem with an Iconian and Borg connection through, the Borg homeworld was deep on the Delta Quadrant, and we have no idea if the Iconians were even active in that part of the Galaxy.
    DO we know where the actual point of Origon of the Borg is? I don't think so...
    Right now, it's feeling farfetched that there is any real historical links between the Iconians and the Borg, unless the original Borg Species was forced or coerced into making an Artifical Intelligence Network that resulted in the creation of the Borg. But given the Borg didn't begin their expansion until 199000 years later, it's doubtful that they had any kind of space capabilities and were the ones who attacked Iconia.
    That doesn't fit the timeline. We know that the Borg have been marauding space for at least a millenium, probably a lot more.
    I'm hoping that Cryptic would make up something less cliche. Because having slave races rebel against a Galactic Empire seems awfully identical to the plot of KoToR with the slaves revolting against the Rakata and eventually drove them to extinction.
    Star Trek did it first. :P so it's the other way around. The Rakata are mimicing the Iconians.
    My preference (especially for STO) is that:

The Doomsday Device was used in the bombardment of Iconia.
    I like this, it also makes sense to attack that behemoth with a computer virus, simply because very few other weapons can affect it at all.
    The Borg were a force in opposition the Iconians. (Which is why the Iconians had a technology destroying virus.)
    An alternate idea is that the mind/computer link was a way to reduce the effect of the virus on computers.
    Likewise, both of these groups may refer to the Iconians:

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Old_Ones_(Exo_III)

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Old_Ones_(extragalactic)

My idea there is that the Iconians had a race of android slaves and that they were victims of a robot revolt. My take on the Borg, which is somewhat different, is that rather than truly being organics who added machine parts, perhaps they began as androids who started grafting on organic tissue like the Borg did to Data in First Contact.

This would be a natural response for androids dealing with a computer-destroying virus like the one the Iconians were using. In order to deal with the Iconian anti-tech virus, this android race had to swap out more and more of their machine parts for flesh, engineered or harvested. They want to "achieve perfection" (return to a state of machine life) but cannot until someone cracks the Iconian virus which makes them vulnerable unless they employ organic matter.

Oh. And I see the Ornithoids from Catspaw as the first heralds of the Iconians' return.
    It's very interesting trying to figure out how and if these races are conencted to one another. :)

And I'm relatively certain Iconian tech causes irrational behavior at a distance. When you look back at Contagion, it's like all the captains were practically possessed. And in DS9's To the Death, you have a Jem'Hadar who abandoned his religion and broke ranks because he had to possess the gateway.

I could easily see them being linked to The Sword of Kahless, which also causes madness/squabbling/greed.
    OOh... didn't think of that one. Wasn't it a relic of the Hur'Q invasion? IIRC it was created before the Hur'Q were driven from Qo'nos.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing