test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

I vote for no new ships.

javaman1969javaman1969 Member Posts: 298 Arc User
edited August 2013 in Federation Discussion
That's right. I said it. No new ships. I'd rather see the time currently spent on creating shiny new toys spent instead on giving thoe poor folks investigating bug reports a little more help. That way, I can simply enjoy what we already have without worrying about game crashes, the latest problem with the tailor, reputation missions that don't work, etc, etc, etc.
His methods have become unsound.
Post edited by javaman1969 on

Comments

• Options
    stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    That's right. I said it. No new ships. I'd rather see the time currently spent on creating shiny new toys spent instead on giving thoe poor folks investigating bug reports a little more help. That way, I can simply enjoy what we already have without worrying about game crashes, the latest problem with the tailor, reputation missions that don't work, etc, etc, etc.

I agree completely. Quality, not quantity.
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Even if they were to stop making ships, it would do nothing to solve bugs. Why? Because the guys who make the ships have nothing to do with game crashes, tailor issues, and reputation missions that don't work. They couldn't help the guys who do because that isn't their area of expertise. Suddenly telling JamJamz (who is a ship artist) to stop making ship art and go fix rep missions would end badly for everyone. It's the same when people start asking Tacofangs (who is an environment artist) about broken ship mechanics. He has no idea and wouldn't know how to fix them anyway because that isn't his area, so it's just silly. The only thing that would happen if they stopped making ships is that we wouldn't get any more ships. It wouldn't help them fix bugs at all.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Thank you, Thank you, I like you. I have repeatedly said that I am not, and will never be a ship collector. I am perfectly happy with the ship I have and will continue to be in the near future. However, new Costumes and Races? BRING EM ON.
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,845 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    We need some new endgame content! Both PvE and PvP!
  • Options
    thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    You do realize that creating and selling new ships makes up a fair chunk of the income for STO which in turn allows them to continue to pay the programmers to fix bugs, right? It's not like a subscription model when the revenue comes no matter what they do.
  • Options
    asardetemplariasardetemplari Member Posts: 447 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    You do realize that creating and selling new ships makes up a fair chunk of the income for STO which in turn allows them to continue to pay the programmers to fix bugs, right? It's not like a subscription model when the revenue comes no matter what they do.

*cough Blizzard. cough cough World of ********. cough cough cough*

Edit: Why is w-a-r-craft *****'d?
    latest?cb=20160406061118&path-prefix=en

Dreadnought class. Two times the size, three times the speed. Advanced weaponry. Modified for a minimal crew. Unlike most Federation vessels, it's built solely for combat.
  • Options
    javaman1969javaman1969 Member Posts: 298 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The problem is, frustrated customers don't spend money. In my business, if people have a problem every day that they walk into my store, I'd quickly lose return customers, and the ones who do still come in will be more careful when opening their wallets. It's better to make sure what you have is working well before adding on newer things.
    His methods have become unsound.
  • Options
    tebsutebsu Member Posts: 372 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    i vote for it as well. since they brought in so many new ships, i stopped playing the game. it feels less and less like star trek. all those time ships and what not..

- fix bugs
    - open space (no sector space)
    - add a few more functions to the game
    - add more functionality to ship interiors
    - fix size of ship bridges

that should be the priority.

when i started this game and played a few months, i had the defiant and a good build. i also had an overview of my possible opponents and could react with build changes. now its almost impossible to find a good build that works for most ships
    What ? Calaway.
  • Options
    irwin109irwin109 Member Posts: 518 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    As lan451 said the people making the new ships have nothing to do with fixing bugs as it's not their area of expertise and as thegreendragoon1 it is a part of their income, so not making new ships is not the solution, however I totally agree they need to fix some issues before moving on.

I understand that there is no chance of fixing every bug in game but the idea, that has been presented several times before, is to have a form of Bugzilla report, which contains every bug currently in game and its status - Fixed, Testing on Holodeck, Testing on Tribble, Working on a fix, No fix yet, No fix planned at this time. This wouldn't be too hard to maintain, the GM help and Bug Report tickets could easily be checked against this list before responding to the player, giving a better indication of whether this is a known bug or not. It'd also alleviate a lot of concerns for players who are not getting any form of response from GMs on their issues, they could easily look up an issue and find what stage it is at before making a forum post about it.
    IrwinSig-1.jpg

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    But... But... But...

How will they make money, if they make quality?

We all know that time is money.

Time = Money

We also know that quality takes time.

Quality = Time

So that means that quality takes up alot of time.

Quality = Money

Now... Quality does however not earn money. So in this case, quality is a negative, so if you take that into consideration in the equation, you get this:

Product - Quality = Time <-> Product - Quality = Money.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    lan451 wrote: »
    Even if they were to stop making ships, it would do nothing to solve bugs. Why? Because the guys who make the ships have nothing to do with game crashes, tailor issues, and reputation missions that don't work. They couldn't help the guys who do because that isn't their area of expertise. Suddenly telling JamJamz (who is a ship artist) to stop making ship art and go fix rep missions would end badly for everyone. It's the same when people start asking Tacofangs (who is an environment artist) about broken ship mechanics. He has no idea and wouldn't know how to fix them anyway because that isn't his area, so it's just silly. The only thing that would happen if they stopped making ships is that we wouldn't get any more ships. It wouldn't help them fix bugs at all.

You're not wrong. In the larger scheme of things, though, I'm totally with the OP: whatever new shiny, massive thing you're working on, drop it, and start fixing some bugs.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The problem is, frustrated customers don't spend money. In my business, if people have a problem every day that they walk into my store, I'd quickly lose return customers, and the ones who do still come in will be more careful when opening their wallets. It's better to make sure what you have is working well before adding on newer things.

the thing is, that is more like a drug dealer keeping his junky addicted...it's not like you stop playing because of bugs..."addicted" people keep buying/playing no matter what happens.

and new ships is like giving your "customers" a new dose of their drug. If not, they change their dealer. No junky every changed dealer because of a lack of friendlyness once they were hooked.
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    How dare you post something sane as this in the forum OP?!? :mad: You should know better!

Joking, joking :D........but jokes aside,

I'm completely with you on this one. I really am confused by threads that basically say "gimme this ship", "make a new ship for <enter faction/profession here>", "The <enter faction> really needs the <enter random ship class here>", that pop up like every second day if not more often. Honestly what are people doing with all those ships? :confused: Is there some part of the game that you unlock and get access to a load of new missions that I don't know of?! :eek:

I mean, really, how much ships does one need? We have a huge selection of ships in game, especially for the Fed. players. What we need is more places to play around with them a.k.a. content.

I know that "ships make them money", but I'll also gladly pay good money for:

- Sector space that feels like space and actually does something. You know, trekkin' instead of sitting on a starbase a signing up for queues.
    - Exploration.
    - KDF costume bundles.
    - KDF attack/war targ combat pet.
    - Nausicaan/Orion/Gorn ship interior bundle.
    - Denobulan species and like centersolace said, generaly more Boff and player species seen in Star Trek.
    - A beagle/cat pet.
    - TNG/Voyager/ENT ship interior bundles.
    - I'm going to stop now, you get the idea....

There is only so much one can do with all those ships. I know the guys working on ships don't do bug fixes and I'm not saying they should stop making ships, but maybe reduce the ammount they release in favor of some real end game content, where we can use all those ships we bought. Well, the next season is suposed to be end-game related, let's hope this means that we'll at least get more content to make use of all the ships we have.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    A big problem with all those ships is that they somehow manneuvred themselves in a dead-end. New ships need many tac consoles, tac boff slots and at least 5 fore weapons - everything below that feels like a downgrade and people would rather buy the kumari or scimitar - the absurd superlatives really hurt the game.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    johnnymo1johnnymo1 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The next batch of new ships would most likely be with the level cap. I'd rather see an ability to refit an existing ship feature. When you hit the new level cap it can open up a new rep system for with in your own faction. It could consist of replaying a number of missions that deal with your faction or a number of the featured player created missions. It will open up duty officer/bridge officer missions to refit a ship. They will then take several days to complete and require a large amount of supplies to complete where you can add up to 3 console slots, upgrade 2 bridge officer slots, add a device slot, and add a weapon placement. I'd grind that rep system all day long and you can then place the rewards on you ship at any slot you want. The upgrades will then be bound to that ship and require re grinding for any ship it is done to. This allows for the player to customize a ship to their desires and be able to increase some older ships up to being usable at endgame level.
  • Options
    spherbspherb Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Lock boxes promising a chance at shiny new ships will always sell:(
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    hereticknight085hereticknight085 Member Posts: 3,783 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    It was stated earlier, but I'm going to re-iterate that point.

Ship count/introductions usually have NOTHING to do with gameplay. It's unfair of you to ask Cryptic to stop introducing new ships just to fix the old ones, because the ones designing the ships (GRAPHIC artists/programmers) usually can only fix appearance bugs. The ones you want to ask are the CODERS. The ones that put the ships actually in game. They are the ones who also are constantly working hard to fix bugs.

But at the same time, complacency is the road to ruin, so they cannot stop production of new things just to fix the old ones. There were a multitude of fixes to old ships that happened while they were releasing new ones. So I say no, keep on making new ships. Just because you're happy with the ship you have, doesn't mean the same goes for everyone.

And new material is what you want, it's what you're getting. How is that new content you ask? Last I checked new ships usually mean a new way to do things, new tools to do the old tasks. It counts as new content, since you may be doing the same things, but you now have new ways to do it.
    It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once. B)
  • Options
    adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    ENDGAME! ENDGAME ! ENDGAME!

did you get that cryptic? i need more stuff to do, not more ways to do it
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • Options
    roxbadroxbad Member Posts: 695
    edited August 2013

Lol. Like they were spending money on bug fixes, when it was a subscribed game.
  • Options
    feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Hmm, there is technically a way for them to not make a new ship but keep the ship designers busy.
    Make the variations and parts for existing ships.
    To make money, make them c-store upgrades.

That handles the art and limits the sheer volume of ships.
    How do you get more people to fix bugs?

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    feiqa wrote: »
    Hmm, there is technically a way for them to not make a new ship but keep the ship designers busy.

Or... they could just *fix* existing bridges. As in making it so my boffs aren't hovering 20cm above their seats; or are actually the boffs that I stationed there, for that matter, and not some random folks.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,172 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Oh hey, bunch of McDonald's employees that think other business work the same way.

While you may be able to move more employees on fries and less on drinks to help move the work along, that doesn't work in more complex business where different employees have different skillsets.

You wouldn't go to the mechanic to have your car tuned up, and when told they are all busy, tell the cashier they should get in there and help.

Ship artists make ships, they don't make your character or boffs sit in chairs, or beam down, or do anything with foundry, or any of the other countless things that might have bugs.

I'd rather they keep doing that instead of trying to fix code that they aren't trained to fix.
  • Options
    adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited August 2013

I wouldn't mind that, Visual Diversity is nice ( though i have a pet hate of all those non starfleet ships hanging out at ESD, it just looks wrong, plus half those silly warbirds are too wide to fit in the bloody doors anyway)
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • Options
    veraticusveraticus Member Posts: 250 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    How about hire some people to actually fix bugs:eek:
  • Options
    atalossataloss Member Posts: 563 Arc User
    edited August 2013

+1

Next time I'm in your town, I'm buying you a beer.
    One day Cryptic will be free from their Perfect World overlord. Until that day comes, they will continue to pamper the whales of this game, and ignore everyone that isn't a whale.
  • Options
    irwin109irwin109 Member Posts: 518 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    As for the ship thing there's been a discussion brought up by a fleet mate quite a while ago, he's at the Vegas thing at the weekend so he's gonna try and get the idea across there, the idea is to open Utopia Planetia and you essentially have the ability to build a ship from scratch, choice of everything, from nacelle appearance to b'off/console/weapon layout this course would have limits such as yes you can have 10 weapon slots but you'll have very few console slots and/or b'off slots, so everything will stay in proportion, along with this there would also be some kind of rep'/d'off system to make the build process something that would not just be overnight, it'd take some time, heck you're building a ship, that's just the readers digest version as he would say, we've discussed it in great detail, I'd love it personally.
    IrwinSig-1.jpg

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan