Install Arc
Options

First Impressions of the new Carrier UI

Comments

• Options
    kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    khanharn wrote: »
    That's not a bug, Its a setting in the options.

What setting? How do I turn it off? Is this the same thing that's making me give my HY plasma torps my tac team? If I turn off the option, will it stop this too?
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • Options
    nyxadrillnyxadrill Member Posts: 1,242 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Ok Set up my Tholian Recluse with Delta Flyers and Danubes and hit a "Deepspace Encounter" to test this.

Initial thoughts:

1. UI - Great idea! ..... badly implemented :( The UI elements are way to big and do not scale for people with smaller "real estate" for video. The new UI elements are just TOO large.

2. Confirming the recall problem - I could launch fine, attack fine. Then I recalled the fighters on both hangers. Moved to a new combat zone and sure enough the pets stayed in the hangers when I hit launch. The launch timer still ticked away even though nothing showed.

Either a:) Recall is seriously bugged and should be avoided like Tellarian plague for the moment or b:) I have a bunch of wussies for pilots! ;)
    server_hamster6.png
  • Options
    buccaneerdtbbuccaneerdtb Member Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    What setting? How do I turn it off? Is this the same thing that's making me give my HY plasma torps my tac team? If I turn off the option, will it stop this too?

No. There is an auto switch to heal option, but that is not the problem. I have auto switch target on heals turned off and my heals still go to my mines and torps instead of me. It is a REAL bug and not something that can be turned off. I hope they get this fixed soon.
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I'm not bothered by the UI size. I have the entire UI scaled down by 85% and spread out pretty evenly, and the carrier bays fit on the lower left pretty well (pic).

I have been hit by the same recall/undock problem as others describe. Its like the Roach Motel--they check in but they dont check out
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I have been hit by the same recall/undock problem as others describe. Its like the Roach Motel--they check in but they dont check out

Welcome to the Hotel California. You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.

:P
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    fireshot00fireshot00 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Yet again a 'epic' idea by cryptic leads to more bugs

the fighters have less defense then they did before the patch

the fighter fire patterns have been changed and most fighters do not live long enough to complete that fire pattern against easy npcs

the added ui for hanger pets is little more than clutter on the screen demanding a larger screen/resolution.
  • Options
    corvallecorvalle Member Posts: 254 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I agree with OP, this AI is a mess. They are not even trying to avoid warp core breaches, pets are attacking stuff on the other side of the map instead of my current target that is 6km away, they fly off after stuff that I don't want them too...

Ya, I have come to the realization that this team does not have the skills necessary to program a functional AI...and functional AI's do exist, ive played games that have it :P
  • Options
    mewmaster101mewmaster101 Member Posts: 1,239 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    fireshot00 wrote: »
    Yet again a 'epic' idea by cryptic leads to more bugs

the fighters have less defense then they did before the patch

the fighter fire patterns have been changed and most fighters do not live long enough to complete that fire pattern against easy npcs

the added ui for hanger pets is little more than clutter on the screen demanding a larger screen/resolution.

1. my B'rels survive just the same if not better as mine are trying to avoid warp core breaches

2.at least the UI element is helpful

the only issue i ahve is that they do not seem to attack anything until i am in range of the opponent, even if i tell them to intercept, they just stay right next to me until about 11km away from the enemy
  • Options
    resoundingenvoyresoundingenvoy Member Posts: 439
    edited July 2013
    -The UI by it's self nice idea that's been floating around for a while. I'm glad they got around to putting it in.

-The KDF/SFA fighter school's motto being changed from "Fly into the light!" is sort of nice.

-Replacing lost instead of whole wings is also a nice thing, but that means you have fighters with 1% or 3% that keep flying around.

-The recall order being borked means carriers are effectively borked. It was the only stopgap against all the other AI antics that have been accumulating.
    fighters dont live long enough for the ranking to matter

its a big help to frigates, irrelevant to fighters

-That. Although, I suspect that is why some of the fighters are still listed under 'know issues'.

-Which links into the next issue. I don't have great faith in something like a stalker lasting the 2min. under fire it would take to overcome the nerf this patch just handed them. Even if there weren't 101 different ways for them to meet a bad end.

Edit: Also, while these looks like some great ideas (if they worked flawlessly the first time.) I feel like I'm being bribed. Instead of fixing any number of other issues, we're handed a whole new set of things we have to micromanage around.

I want to say "thank you devs", but I'm finding my self really bitter.
  • Options
    cptskeeterukcptskeeteruk Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    From the little i tried with my jem dread the jem as elite pets took ages to dock with recall i had to slow to a stop and then they came near me and bashed into me for what was like 5-10 seconds then they seem to dissapear and i suppose are docked. (why no docking animation?) Also i didnt know how to undock them as there was no undock button but anyhow figured id try attack mode and 2 out of the 4 launched out of my dread, i duno how to get the other 2 out so i had to fire off a hanger charge to spawn 2 new ones.

Also spawning seems to work like before i.e can spawn new frigates when i want not when they die or whatever, might be broke but meh hope it doesnt get fixed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    cpc2011acpc2011a Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    All in all, I really do like what they have done. It certainly is not without it's issues, but then when has there ever been a new element added to the game when something didn't have issues? (no offense dev folk)

As far as the slavers are concerned, they are actually pulling contraband. I actually got my first 3 after about 8 months of nothing. A few of them (the slavers) also have managed to survive long enough to rank up fully. This only adds to the frustration of them not relaunching when switching from recall to attack, or any other command for that matter. Add to that the random recalling they seem to do themselves and yes, now I feel that carriers are truely broken at the moment. Yes, in my last test I had both hangers just stop attacking (attack command selected) as if I'd clicked recal for both. They docked, and refused to come back out. I dropped both hangers to kill the current fighters, re-equiped and launched both, and before i got the second wing of each out the first was recalling itself again.

I don't know, and am not going to pretend to know what is causing this behavior, but if this is the way the ai is going to behave just do your carrier jockies a favor Devs. Scrap the docking on recall.
  • Options
    xapocalypseponyxxapocalypseponyx Member Posts: 577 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    sven2561 wrote: »
    Oh to top it off they have not even fixed the targeting bug:(

Where you are attempting to heal/buff yourself, then it just goes to one of your random pets.
    No. There is an auto switch to heal option, but that is not the problem. I have auto switch target on heals turned off and my heals still go to my mines and torps instead of me. It is a REAL bug and not something that can be turned off. I hope they get this fixed soon.

If I click any ability, my target is randomly changed to any entity anywhere. Seems to happen just on my carriers. Looking through the bug section, I couldn't find anything on it, so I'm filing a report in game. I suggest you both do the same.
  • Options
    resoundingenvoyresoundingenvoy Member Posts: 439
    edited July 2013
    That bug has been around for a month or so by now.

I suppose I should file a bug report as well, but then I have to wonder.

It's something anyone with a good number of buffs or heals should notice every 2-4minuets of play. I keep thinking there's no way the devs could have not know it was there.
  • Options
    mrvoodumrvoodu Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    i Guess I'm Having A Different Issue. I Have A Scimitar. Using Drones. I Was Flying In The Vault And When I launch My Drones They fly Around Not Targeting What I Am. They Fly In The Opposite Direction. I Seen Those Issues Posted But My Issue Is When I Fly To Kill A Vault Weaver I Kill It Then speed off To Kill The Next one My Drones Disappear From My Hud And My View. As If I Never launched Them. I Asked In team Chat Of The Other 2 Scims Had The Same Issue. One ScIm Said It Might Be I'm getting Too Far From Them And They vanish If That's The CaSe Then That Should Have Happened Before The Patch Because I Could Fly Away And They Would Catch Up. Now They Disappear And I Know It's Different Drones Because The Ones That Are vanishing Had Level Stars. This Patch Blows.
  • Options
    newromulan1newromulan1 Member Posts: 2,229
    edited July 2013
    Wait - not being able to recall is going to totally &$$*%* everyone in eSTF right? Have not don't infected today - but are people poping gens and all sorts of silliness? Add a targeting issue in there to? Am i going to go oh @#$% if I warp into an elite Infected with a carrier - or worse 2 carriers?
  • Options
    satanailofhwbgsatanailofhwbg Member Posts: 158 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The unresponsiveness of the pets is horrifying once they leave the 10 km range and sometimes even in-range. In ISE that's not an issue because the targets are relatively close. On KASE it's a major setback - I need them to shoot my transformer and gate, not those on the other side of the map! On CSE it's tolerable.
    The control rage must be increased if the rogue AI can't be fixed. My DPS drops by at least 1/3 because of uncontrollable pets.
    Ship: Atrox; Pets: 2 wings of elite scorpion fighters.
  • Options
    aarons9aarons9 Member Posts: 961
    edited July 2013
    The unresponsiveness of the pets is horrifying once they leave the 10 km range and sometimes even in-range. In ISE that's not an issue because the targets are relatively close. On KASE it's a major setback - I need them to shoot my transformer and gate, not those on the other side of the map! On CSE it's tolerable.
    The control rage must be increased if the rogue AI can't be fixed. My DPS drops by at least 1/3 because of uncontrollable pets.
    Ship: Atrox; Pets: 2 wings of elite scorpion fighters.

its not tolerable on CSE.

i tell my pets to attack my probes and they run off and blow up a cube..
    [12:35] Vessel Two of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 225232 (271723) Plasma Damage to you with Plasma Lance.
    [12:44] Vessel One of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 1019527 (1157678) Kinetic Damage to you with Plasma Energy Bolt Explosion.
  • Options
    adon333adon333 Member Posts: 304
    edited July 2013
    This is obviously "working as intended" guys. How dare you complain about this!!! The audacity! I just cant believe it! <sarcasm to full captain>
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah, that's right.
  • Options
    ruminate00ruminate00 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I knew this would be a huge DPS loss if they didn't do something about pet follow speed during full impulse. Even with the cooldowns buffed, you're still looking at a ~20% loss in pet DPS in ISE and over 50% in KASE.

If you sit still for 10s to let your pets dock, you lose DPS.
    If you don't recall your pets, you lose DPS.
    Either way, you lose DPS.

If the devs intended for players to use recall before traveling across the map, then its clear that the person who made these carrier changes has absolutely no idea what they're doing.

Before these changes, all I had to do was bind the launch hangar key to spacebar and as I balance my shields, I launch my hangars automatically everytime the cooldown ends. But now its an unintuitive, micro-heavy, bug-filled mess on top of a blanket DPS nerf.
  • Options
    xapocalypseponyxxapocalypseponyx Member Posts: 577 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Had the recall bug, just now. Clicked attack, only two came out. Clicked defend, then attack again, they all came out. That'll do for now.
  • Options
    lostmoonylostmoony Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    i have noticed the slaves get a massiv hull decrease?

bevor patch they have same hulll like Orion interceptors 4652HP

now they have 2777HP the half hull like bevor patch?:rolleyes:

the biggest Problem on the new System ist the only dead pet replace Funktion. i pet is dead i Switch the button 1 pet Comes out in the next Moment all dead i have a cooldown for replacing only one pet lol.

it do the replacing very slow so Overall the bigest TRIBBLE i have seen , heavy dps loose for never getting a fresh wing!!!!!!

the new window is nice for seeing alive pets the ranking is nice to but all other changes destroing the carrier gameplay!!!

one nice thinks gone forever, spawn a elite scorpion wing they shoot all a heavy Plasma Torpedo on a Boss then spawn a new wing, all fresh pets can shoot a new heavy Plasma coz all new, now.......:(

for frigates this new petsstyle replace only dead pets is nice for fighters ist 100% a totally downgrade
  • Options
    artanisenartanisen Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I love the new UI..

but only have one issue
    pets aren't pre-loaded..
  • Options
    omegaphallicomegaphallic Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Are interceptors still at 4650 or did they get nerfed too.

Where did anyone ask for a hull nerf to Slavers?

Why not raise the other pets up to that hull level. It was hard enough keeping my pets alive before, now its a complete waste of time to try if you don't have frigates or maybe Armoured Mauraders. One hit pop and gone, nothing left to heal.

About the only thing I can try is threat generating consoles to try and draw NPCs away from my pets. That still won't help in pvp or against anyone in pve with an area attack.

Why did they send this patch to holodeck like this before poor bort could finish testing things. I mean waiting for him to finish on tribble couldn't hurt the pocket book thiervis nothing to sell, I don't understand?
  • Options
    lostmoonylostmoony Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Are interceptors still at 4650 or did they get nerfed too.

Where did anyone ask for a hull nerf to Slavers?

no nerf on all interceptor Versions, they have still the Basic Orion fighter HP, only the the elite slaves get halfed there HP, advanced slavers i dont have to tryout how much HP they have, thats why they die now 50% faster, i have wonder in the first try today why my loved slavers die like nuub puppets fast, then i check the HP and see what happend.

the massivly loosing HP on the slavers + the only a dead pet replacing in slow Motion ist the biggest downgrade i have ever seen for a carrier Player.
  • Options
    ridantonridanton Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I'm having pretty much the same problems with the AI as everyone else, but I did figure something out... I think.

Don't use both the commands on the carrier UI and the commands on your trays. IE you select recall on one of the old trays, then attack on the carrier UI, the pets lose their minds.

Example: I had selected recall from the shortcut I had on a power tray. Didn't think anymore of it, it was just there at the time and handy. Then I tried launching fighters with the carrier UI and they'd launch and turn right back around and dock. After several frustrating minutes of that (while under fire), I realized the recall button on the power tray was still highlighted... turned it off and they fighters would at least stay in the air.

In short I don't know about all the bugs but I took all the carrier commands off my trays (except the ones locked above my weapons that I can do nothing about). They seem to issue conflicting orders to the carrier UI commands. Just use one or the other, don't use both. It shouldn't be that way but that's my findings as of the moment. Hope that helps some of you in some way.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Considering frigates are usually 30k why dont they just make the fighters about 10k which should even things out a bit as 1 frigate at 30k is about equal then to 3 fighters at 10k each or maybe 8.5k?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    So much for QA, Testing, Tribble Server, and fixing things before going to Holodeck. Oh wait, Holodeck *IS* the Test Server!
    Considering frigates are usually 30k why dont they just make the fighters about 10k which should even things out a bit as 1 frigate at 30k is about equal then to 3 fighters at 10k each or maybe 8.5k?

Completely disagree. Fighters in contrast to Frigates do the following as a benefit to being more fragile:

1. Much quicker to replace / recharge the hangar.

2. While having less weapons than Frigates, they're deployed in higher numbers. They attain their firepower and capability as a whole. For 8 max Frigates, you can have a max of 12 Fighters.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    blakes7tvseriesblakes7tvseries Member Posts: 704 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I don't see this any kind of improvement but the biggest
    download.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2013

Completely disagree. Fighters in contrast to Frigates do the following as a benefit to being more fragile:

1. Much quicker to replace / recharge the hangar.

2. While having less weapons than Frigates, they're deployed in higher numbers. They attain their firepower and capability as a whole. For 8 max Frigates, you can have a max of 12 Fighters.

Hmm i can only do 4 jem as elite frigates not 8.

Also with regards to point 1. They have made carriers now in a way that encourages to make them survive so the much quicker to replace thing is now out the window. So yeah higher hull would help that wouldnt it?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]