test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Emergency Maintenance (July 19, 2013) [Complete!]

13»

Comments

• pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited July 2013
    Our emergency maintenance has begun. We expect downtime to last for 1.5 hours and I will post again once it is complete. Thanks!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • wast33wast33 Member Posts: 1,855 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Our emergency maintenance has begun. We expect downtime to last for 1.5 hours and I will post again once it is complete. Thanks!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

did it always have been the way that u announce start in here? i guess no (just delete this post if i'm wrong on that :D)?

i really like that (as it seems new to me), so thx :).
  • clodbust3rclodbust3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    So is this the patch that repairs the patch that addressed the last patch issue, i'm getting confused with all the patch repairs that repairs patches.... and when you shove this ARC down our throats will we have the same patch repair issues, i hope so i don LOVE all these patch problems...
  • ukcaptain420ukcaptain420 Member Posts: 345 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    wast33 wrote: »
    did it always have been the way that u announce start in here? i guess no (just delete this post if i'm wrong on that :D)?

i really like that (as it seems new to me), so thx :).

I think i've seen it a few times now, but yeah is new(ish) and helpful
    clodbust3r wrote: »
    So is this the patch that repairs the patch that addressed the last patch issue, i'm getting confused with all the patch repairs that repsires patches....

Don't forget to add the new bugs for next weeks patch
    SCM - Infected(S) - DMG Out: 11,776,567 DPS: 114,224.70 (28.7% of Team) - Pinky@ukcaptain420
    I reserve the right to have a completely different standpoint depending on my mood.
  • axellightningaxellightning Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Be nice if the department heads would just fix them self's wouldn't it :rolleyes:

And if I didn't have duplicate mail every time something expires on the exchange :rolleyes:

And if first contact missions worked... :rolleyes:

And............okay Ill stop now. :P

Well.. here goes something.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • isemusicisemusic Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    As someone who started out as a developer I feel bad for people blaming the devs for all the problems. I now run my own development business and have worked on several large scale applications to be used concurrently by 10s of thousands of ppl every month. (OK so with STO its more like 100k every month). Still, I've paid good money for this game, and I'm sure thats still small peanuts compared to many...

The problem is with the dev team management and most probably because of pressure from upper management who don't understand development. When developing, if you leave bugs in, you make things harder for yourself later on. The right approach is perfect a feature extensively until its 99.9% bugfree (as in none of your testing suites/rigs catches a bug). If that is happening with STO, then they need to upgrade their testing suites.

My suspicion is that there is too much pressure from the top and the development manager isn't strong enough to say "no... this is my job, and I say it's not ready yet". Takes some balls but it HAS to be done, all the time, to save money in the long term. As it stands there are too many bugs and that means it's just a hopeless cause to fix them all now. You won't even know if what you're coding is going to cause bugs because there are bugs already in the system which were never fixed...

Anyway, Perfect World have ruined the game for Cryptic and the rest of us me thinks... My only hope is that the new UI engine was an attempt to get right that part of it at least as part of a very slow cleanup.

It's not hard to see how buggy this game is. Just compare it against any other...

ise
  • ransom2375ransom2375 Member Posts: 243 Arc User
    edited July 2013

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

*fingers crossed*

Time for some music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Yj0Iwa8_gk
    Star Trek Online: Foundry 02.12.2010 - 11.04.2019
  • jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited July 2013
    If I were in charge I would want to know why something that is working fine keeps getting broken when no work on it is even needed

the launcher once fixed should not be worked on .

This is a recuring problem that should not even be happening at al

If its not broke dont monkey with it

This is a personal problem not a software issue
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • isemusicisemusic Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    jellico1 wrote: »
    If I were in charge I would want to know why something that is working fine keeps getting broken when no work on it is even needed

the launcher once fixed should not be worked on .

This is a recuring problem that should not even be happening at al

If its not broke dont monkey with it

This is a personal problem not a software issue

Like I said, if there are bugs in it already, you can update a completely unrelated part and have no idea of the resulting consequence. It all comes down to proper testing and quality control and my suspicion is that these bugs are purposely released in order to get the feature out. This situation will only get worse the more bugs are left in.

EDIT: In fact, I reckon that this will reach a point of critical mass where the game is so buggy ppl just dnt play it anymore and the cost to fix it would be greater than the cost of letting it fail.
  • revlotrevlot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It's the consistent lack of testing and bugs with things people pay for that keep me from returning to STO. Why should I buy a Z-Store uniform if they can't even get the color pallets right on something new? A friend of mine told me the other day that the TNG pants no longer match the top and that uniform has been around longer than my first attempt at playing this game. My Fed never got beyond Lt. Commander before I got bored of doing the same thing over and over again. I have been interested in playing a Romulan and especially in the 22nd Century and TNG Romulan uniforms but from what I am told, neither have the correct ranks to display. My biggest deterrent from playing STO is the max level content. Why waste the time to get to max level when all there is to do are reputation systems, Special Task Force missions, and repeat missions you do to get to the level cap?

The one thing I hear a lot of good about is the Risian event but the most fun aspect of it will disappear with the event. It makes no sense to add something like that and then take it away. Why add jet packs for just one limited time map? Jet packs would be useful for those missions that you run around scanning things for. When the only reason regular players have to continually playing STO is, I've invested a lot of time and money into to the game. That's pretty sad!

The Old Trek Is Dead, Long Live The New Trek.

IF Roddenberry were alive this would be a different story. But as is the way in all things, once the Originator is dead, the Successors gut the carcass for all it is worth. Perhaps the Re-Boot will spur a younger generation to reclaim Trek and make it proud once again. But here and now, the carcass was sold to the highest bidder and this is the result, an Imperfect Trek. Honestly, I believe that complaints fall on deaf ears. The current owners have no interest other than money, and as long as it is good enough to earn money that is all they will provide to us, the consumers. Yes, we consume what they provide, and when we no longer consume then they will sell the bones to the highest bidder. The ONLY way you will get Trek to be the way YOU want it to be is to raise 10 Billion dollars and BUY the franchise yourself, and then deal with everybody who complains that YOU are NOT doing TREK the way THEY think YOU should.

I understand that Old Trek is DEAD. I am grateful for having ANY Trek at all. I reticently Bought a Life Time Subscription - knowing full well that this imperfect Trek will NEVER match up to Roddenberry's Vision. Although I DO get such enjoyment reading the complaints to the BranBot - an unreal entity created for public relations. I am sure that a real person types the messages, but do not believe for a single second that it is the SAME person who always uses the persona to convey information to the user base.

Spoiled Children, you should be happy with what you get and stop demanding 'Perfection'. We are WAY past that now...
  • knochengeigerknochengeiger Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    isemusic wrote: »
    Like I said, if there are bugs in it already, you can update a completely unrelated part and have no idea of the resulting consequence. It all comes down to proper testing and quality control and my suspicion is that these bugs are purposely released in order to get the feature out. This situation will only get worse the more bugs are left in.

EDIT: In fact, I reckon that this will reach a point of critical mass where the game is so buggy ppl just dnt play it anymore and the cost to fix it would be greater than the cost of letting it fail.

I think both your posts prefectly explain the whole situation, and unfortunately i think that the critical point is much much closer than we all think. Enjoy LoR as much as you can everybody, it might very well be the last season/expansion of STO EVER.
    We want to keep the foundry.
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    revlot wrote: »
    The Old Trek Is Dead, Long Live The New Trek.

<snip>

If the old Trek is truly dead I'll mourn the loss. I don't recognize the new Trek as Trek at all, it's a cheap 'knock-off' of the original.

Death to the new Trek !
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • wast33wast33 Member Posts: 1,855 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    If the old Trek is truly dead I'll mourn the loss. I don't recognize the new Trek as Trek at all, it's a cheap 'knock-off' of the original.

Death to the new Trek !

*going wing by wing* "alpha ready"
    edited July 2013
    I think both your posts prefectly explain the whole situation, and unfortunately i think that the critical point is much much closer than we all think. Enjoy LoR as much as you can everybody, it might very well be the last season/expansion of STO EVER.

The team continues to address bugs as quickly as possible, and it is just as important to us as it is for our players.

Regarding future expansions and seasons, Season 8's development is underway and will be released before the end of the year. The 'State of the Game' post that will be going up before the end of the day mentions this, as well. STO has a long, long life ahead of it.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • alvarogarayalvarogaray Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    All I am hearing is the same thing over and over. I'm new, of give me give me give. Wah wah wah. People this is rediculas now if all you can do is complain please complain to some one who actualy gives an iota of a shred of caring that you are not getting what you want. I for one am quite pleased at how the game is and as for the complaint of the jet packs, let me point out that the boots from the winter event were ment for only the event and they were made into game. Also may I point out that there is talk of leaving the event risa up as a permanent place just without the event content. I am feeling that most of the complainers never truely read the forms unless it is the patch notes. Now His'oka.exe has shorted out from the complaining please initiate system reboot.
  • orici1701orici1701 Member Posts: 201 Arc User
    edited July 2013

Death to the new Trek !

so what hes made it in to something better, feel sorry for every1 who cant see that. they are not true star trek fans, a true star trek fan would see it for what they are. a re boot of it and it is good....

long live JJ's Films!!!!! oh and Learn To Let Go, time change new things come out all the time

the 2009 and 2012 star trek films still got it, 1st in the top 10 Cinema chart for both UK and US...

i dont care if all you spam that to hell, and think its a lie news flash its the truth as sky show the top 10 every WEEK!
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Well, as someone said, patcheption.......

I do appreciate its a complex beast, this STO game, but after a while an impression of a less than enthusiastic quality assurance team does start to form.

So many little niggling errors, so many areas released without that final bit of polish. So many silly mistakes that look so obvious now.

Now, I may be wrong, but it looks like a QA team with insufficient clout in the hierarchy.

A QA team that is not listened to when it says 'this'll take two weeks' or 'we don't think its ready yet' or 'there were some odd bug reports from tribble, we need to investigate this more'.

So, as an LTS who wants only the best for my favourite time passer, allow me to make this suggestion to D'Stahl.

Find that one manager in your organisation who makes peoples shoulders drop when he walks in the room. The one who no-one crosses because the grief just aint worth it.

Put that person in charge of QA and explain to him that his job now is to fight QAs corner, come hell or high water.

You may miss a couple of deadlines that don't matter, but your product quality (and thus your customer satisfaction) will soar.
  • jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited July 2013

Death to the new Trek !

I agree 100% some of the ships look like Trek ships

Thats about it
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited July 2013

And you sir are incorrect as with most MMOs aslong as people buy they will beat a dead horse so STO will continue so long as people buy buy and buy some more.
    The team continues to address bugs as quickly as possible, and it is just as important to us as it is for our players.

Regarding future expansions and seasons, Season 8's development is underway and will be released before the end of the year. The 'State of the Game' post that will be going up before the end of the day mentions this, as well. STO has a long, long life ahead of it.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Season 8 under development and will be released before the end of the year?

*Puts on army helmet and dives into a bunker*

INCOMING!!!!

Honestly after the stinker the LoR has been with all the problems and bugs and server issues you guys should be more focused on fixing this then releasing another stinker on us.

Please fix the game before breaking the game again with season 8
    edited July 2013
    Maintenance is now complete! Thanks for your patience. We'll see you back in-game!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
This discussion has been closed.