test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

STO for xbox one..

blackwind04xblackwind04x Member Posts: 89 Arc User
It would be nice to have sto on my Xbox one, micro soft phone and tablet.. Please come out of you box and play with us..
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mewmaster101mewmaster101 Member Posts: 1,239 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It would be nice to have sto on my Xbox one, micro soft phone and tablet.. Please come out of you box and play with us..
    How could you play this game on any of those, besides why would we want this game on the Microsoft killer, Xbox one.
  • bermanatorbermanator Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I feel inclined to agree with mewmaster101, why the Xbox One? I for one, however, am all for Gateway (but I've heard rumors that that's in the works of being improved). At best, you could expect an app (if Cryptic were to make anything for Xbox) that runs the Gateway (either Windows Store or Xbox's)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,467 Community Moderator
    edited July 2013
    I don't see how an MMO that was designed only for PC would translate over to a console.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • blackwind04xblackwind04x Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It was designed for the Xbox. Apps for the windows phone and table will be nice.. The next halo will have windows phone apps and tablets. Your phone is the controller.. So you PC is at your house and you are at work.. Activate your PC or Xbox with your phone..
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    First off, MMO's on consoles are always a pain in the butt.

Second, you intend on getting an Xbox One?

I HATE YOU.
  • tc10btc10b Member Posts: 1,549 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    This thread again? Let me get my special dead horse beating stick...
    edited July 2013
    It was designed for the Xbox. Apps for the windows phone and table will be nice.. The next halo will have windows phone apps and tablets. Your phone is the controller.. So you PC is at your house and you are at work.. Activate your PC or Xbox with your phone..

How was STO designed for the XBox at all? That does not make any sense. Granted, it makes no sense why you would want the XBox One in the first place.
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited July 2013

Wait, what? Where did you get that from? Cryptic has always been a PC oriented company. :confused:
  • tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    just because they added in controller support for xbox controllers does not mean they ever planned on making it for a console.... fact is the controller support it does have is rather bad, it severely limits the powers and such you can use with it.
    edited July 2013
    No, no it's true. At launch there was initial support for porting the game over to the X Box but it was aborted due to technical issues with Microsoft.

That was back then though. I don't think they could port it over so easily now even if they wanted to.
  • kotacokotaco Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    From what I've played so far the core mechanics could probably translate over to console quite well for casual gamers, not sure how'd they tackle the logistics of it though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Online Gaming Clan: Clan mXm
  • voicesdarkvoicesdark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    NO NO NO NO NO NO, and um NO.

And not to be rude but if you haven't been around long enough to know of all the debacles and such that season releases have been then you have no idea the world of pain, frustration, and sheer murderous anger that having this game on a console would be.

The bastardization this game would have to go through just to even make it fully seamless with using a controller would be reason enough for this never to happen. Secondly, no console is going to reach the level of capability that a pc has, and when it does, it'll end up being more expensive that a high quality gaming PC anyways.

Console gaming was supposed to be the future, now tablets are supposed to be, but you know what, in the end it'll always come back to the PC being the dominant choice for serious games for a countless number of reasons.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • cavewarkcavewark Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    the issues wernt technical they were contractual, Microsoft want all transactions and dlc to use the Microsoft points system. And at that time cryptic were still using the cstore, the two were aparantly incompatible or something like that.

and so the idea was shelved.

AS for the Xbone why would you want to put it on a console which can be simulated with a decent home pc ?
  • latiasracerlatiasracer Member Posts: 680 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Well, considering updates cost tens of thousands of pounds, and we get them every week it doesn't seem like a very good idea for Cryptic atall.

Also, it would be difficult for them to compensate for that through the C-Store as Microsoft is going to demand a ridiculous percentage of the Zen sales...
    warp plasma can't melt neutronium beams
  • robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The best you can hope for is a app of the Xbox iPhone and tablets so you can access the gateway and view your equipment and hopefully in the future doff missions as well or maybe finish reputation missions as well
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • eulifdaviseulifdavis Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    You cannot deploy updates to Xbox without PAYING Microsoft to do their own "quality assurance" (in quotes for a reason) testing, which usually takes a month or two. That's for every single patch you want to deploy.

MMOs on consoles are simply not logistically possible.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2013
    eulifdavis wrote: »
    You cannot deploy updates to Xbox without PAYING Microsoft to do their own "quality assurance" (in quotes for a reason) testing, which usually takes a month or two. That's for every single patch you want to deploy.

MMOs on consoles are simply not logistically possible.

DCUO is on the PS3 and while it has lag problems sometimes, it works. Though in that case, it was created specifically to be both on the PC and the Xbox and so can easily be played on both. STO would be almost impossible to play, especially with the lag we can get on the PC, it would be worse on the xbox.
  • nakedcrooknakedcrook Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    If the Xbox One has keyboard and mouse support...I could see STO on the Xbox. It could work. However...I would still play on PC.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If you oppose the Reputation nerf, feel free to use my signature
  • jedidethfreak823jedidethfreak823 Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    tc10b wrote: »
    No, no it's true. At launch there was initial support for porting the game over to the X Box but it was aborted due to technical issues with Microsoft.

That was back then though. I don't think they could port it over so easily now even if they wanted to.

Uhh, that was Champions.

Champions Online was the Cryptic MMO being developed for the 360, with the 360 plans being scrapped because MS wanted part of the sub fee.

It's true, now, that since the games are free to play, THAT roadblock is clear, but STO was definitely NOT developed with a controller in mind.

Getting Champions on the Wii U would be fun, though
    edited July 2013
    Uhh, that was Champions.

Champions Online was the Cryptic MMO being developed for the 360, with the 360 plans being scrapped because MS wanted part of the sub fee.

It's true, now, that since the games are free to play, THAT roadblock is clear, but STO was definitely NOT developed with a controller in mind.

Getting Champions on the Wii U would be fun, though

As a matter of fact it was both Champions and STO and for the exact same reasons they were canned; your Google-fu is weak: http://www.1up.com/news/star-trek-online-console-ports

As I said before though, that was then and this is now. Probably not a great idea what with all the server instability they already have on an all PC platform.
  • ussdelphin2ussdelphin2 Member Posts: 525 Arc User
    edited July 2013

To be honest if they was to ever think about putting this game onto a console, they would want it to be on the more popular console.
    How I picture a lot of the forumites :P
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,865 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    nakedcrook wrote: »
    If the Xbox One has keyboard and mouse support...I could see STO on the Xbox. It could work. However...I would still play on PC.

First off I don't know why anyone would want a Xbox One with all of the F-U's they sent out to their community.

Second...why buy a One and keyboard and mouse when you already have a computer? I can't really imagine a console playing it any better than a computer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWSIFh8ICaA
    Can't have a honest conversation because of a white knight with power
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Personally, I'd rather see STO ported to a more vendor-neutral platform if they were going to port it at all.

Not really thrilled with MS's direction and have to wonder what game developers are thinking about the future of ANY Microsoft platform.

If MS had their way, we'd be trying to play STO on a 10" touchscreen full of charms.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • elemberq333elemberq333 Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    If they decide to put STO out for consoles they would have to do what Zenimax Online Studios is doing with Elder Scrolls Online. They intend to release ESO for XBOX1 and PS4 however the consoles will be on a separate server from the PC's because the consoles version will never be up to date with the PC/Mac version because the computer can be updated so much easier and quicker then the console which needs permission from the manufacturer for each patch and update.
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    No.

If you want more : patching on Xbox cost around 10K $ for a company (Microsoft's price to add a patch). I don't want to have a patch per year because they save money for it. Also, console UI are horrible on PC, and the contrary is probably true. Which mean, you either have some crappy console UI on PC, or something in between that is horrible for both. For example, any recent Bethesda games (Skyrim, FO3...), or Defiance.

Also, I don't really want a new kind of player that think the best of videogaming is CoD, and can't stand a few bugs, even in an MMO.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bumblebushbumblebush Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I do not support this at all!!!:eek:

Only because STO is an MMO and should stay an MMO. Me myself and a lot of other people play STO and other MMO's cause it is a computer based game, and enjoy it to the fullest extent.
    With MMO's like STO are computer based cause theres is just so much more to them compared to a console like Xbox.
    You cant take a game thats MMO and transform it into a console game, cause there would just be way to much resources wasted on it.
    And also why would Cryptic want to team with Microsoft and sell Xbox version of the game, and let Microsoft take a percentage of the sales, then Cryptic would be loosing money, and with no money, the company would problly eventually fail.

Unlike the upcoming game ESO (Elder Scrolls Online) witch will be an MMO and a console based game.
    But thats cause it hasent come out yet and they already have the resources to do it.
    There will be computer and console versions of the game.

And at the same time with ESO being an MMO and console based, I will bet you the computer based version will be 100% better. Only cause it will be an MMO and MMO's are ment to be played on PC!:D

"This is Admiral BumBleBush!..Captain of the U.S.S. Prometheus!..I order you to lower your shields and weapons or ill be forced to fire upon you!!!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "This is Fleet Commander BumBle!..
    Vice Admiral of the U.S.S. Prometheus!..
    I order you to lower your shields and weapons or ill be forced to fire upon you!!!"