test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ship interiors, what is the point?

2»

Comments

• javaman1969javaman1969 Member Posts: 298 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Having adventures that takes place entirely inside your own ship, or, at least start there would be a lot of fun. And logical, too, since your ship is supposed to be your character's home. Imagine walking into your ready room to find Q lounging on your sofa looking pleased with himself, and now you need to figure out what he's up to this time. I'm not sure how practical that is to program. Using ship interiors for RPG does sound like a good idea, but only if your ship's interior environment is a place where you want to actually spend time. That's where the game seems lacking to me.

There are a lot of exciting, detailed playing environments in this game. My ship's interior is not of the usual terrific quality. I've seen the TOS interior, it's wonderful. The problem is, I'm not flying a ship from that century. More detail, more working features, more rooms, more NPC's to talk to, less cavernous bridges, and more aesthetically pleasing environments would be a benefit.
    His methods have become unsound.
  • andruszkiewiczandruszkiewicz Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I have not even played the game yet but I love the concept of defending my turf from a boarding party
  • timelord79timelord79 Member Posts: 1,852 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Holy Zombie Thread, Batman! To the Mod-Mobile!
    11750640_1051211588222593_450219911807924697_n.jpg
  • arcticukitsunearcticukitsune Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Started playing but been following the game. If things already added then do apologies but hope to seeing it somewhere. I can see them adding a lot of things actually, and many of which have also been suggested.

I would love to walk on my ship to see "Q" up to no good (Various versions of him and hers). It appears a handful (or all) obtain their own version of "Q" to pester them. Would be sweet to have one for our own to taunt and tease in return :D

The ability to hail nearby ships (both players and NPCS) from your bridge. Hail them from within the ship, not the quest tracker nor the quest button. Let us hail ships for various tasks, even transferring random quest-generated refugee quests and similar. (if it isn't already in game)

With STO being a ship-based game it should be highly encouraged to explore your ship, even to the point of gimmicking the iconic show's ship rooms and similar. They also have the freedom to make up their own or use already-designed concepts for those giant ships I've seen. I feel STO has that Flight Simulator X, Silent Hunter 3 & 4 interior exploration vibe to it. Needs to be encourages to the point of copying what they do in the show.

(Wish I could progress far enough to see what has been unlocked already in the updates. I just started and want to explore my ship.)

Edit: The suggestions under each point needs to be implemented in one way or another!

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Ship_Interior

I want to do the things that I can't, or is listed as not being interactive.
  • oldkhemaraaoldkhemaraa Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It's the STO version of player housing.. It's been somewhat undeveloped since it was introduced in game in spite of a great deal of hype about improvements taht were spoken of but have never happened. And all things considered is unlikely to ever happen unless a way can be found to monitize it. Which all things consider is unlikely to happen.. KDF ships have 3 layout and several bridge packs.. as a KDF player I really like visiting the KDf shisp.. there a "fog" special effect in place which both makes everything difficult to see, On some of the battlecruiser bridges the lighting is so poor you cant tell where the view screen is.

Fed also has 3 layout, and 2 custom layouts.. one for the TOS connie, and the other for the defiant. Many of the lock box ships have just a bridge only, and no aditional interior decks.

Romulan /Reman ships as far as I know have a single interior layout, and a common bridge, other then the Scim pack of which a number of players have noted is rather dark Well, if your a human, yes, they should be dark, but if your a reman it should appear functionally well lit (which I understand it is not). hopefully they didn't "dim" the lighting on Reman ships.. I'm sure the "dim" interiors on reman ships would not be "dim" to remans.

If your KDF and you want to RP or otherwise hang out in the ships interior check around before you do with some folks that have the existing pack. The Bortasqu bridge is excellent, but it is dark, and at least doesn't have that miserable non canon fog affcet in it Why it has not yet been removed from the older KDF bridge packs i have no idea.. another one of those KDf bugs that seem to never get fixed.

Interiors are there and have some functionality, especially if your interested in using them for RP. They are how ever under utilized in the game, and that at this point seems unlikly to change.
    "I aim to misbehave" - Malcolm Reynolds
  • giannicampanellagiannicampanella Member Posts: 424 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Wow! Necromancy!

But it's still a relevant question. There should be more interior content... for fun!
    Greenbird
  • baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Wow! Necromancy!

But it's still a relevant question. There should be more interior content... for fun!

holy necromancers this thread truly had his second coming alright!

but anyway...i rather have less interior but that filled with sense and content, than vast hallways of nothingness...

an entire season dedicated to interiors, missions on YOUR OWN ship (most star trek shows are entirely on the ship)
    -a "point and klick" adventure like approach to missions on your ship
    -more accolades visible on your ship (certain reserved places for accolades, like it was introduces on the romulan interior)
    Go pro or go home
  • sonnikkusonnikku Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Considering how much of what goes on in Star Trek happens aboard the ship, it is surprising to see the lack of content on that front. How cool would it be during a mission for a borg cube to randomly enter a system when you're the only ship nearby to protect a planet when after a long, hard pitched battle your shields eventually collapse and your first officer tells you your ship has been boarded? You have a ground mission starting with your bridge and moving onto the other decks as your bridge and duty officers fight or risk getting assimilated against an overwhelming threat. :eek:
  • arcticukitsunearcticukitsune Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    sonnikku wrote: »
    Considering how much of what goes on in Star Trek happens aboard the ship, it is surprising to see the lack of content on that front. How cool would it be during a mission for a borg cube to randomly enter a system when you're the only ship nearby to protect a planet when after a long, hard pitched battle your shields eventually collapse and your first officer tells you your ship has been boarded? You have a ground mission starting with your bridge and moving onto the other decks as your bridge and duty officers fight or risk getting assimilated against an overwhelming threat. :eek:

When I watched Star Trek Online launch it mentioned ship boarding. Where is the random ship boarding? At first I kept off STO because I heard of such, but now that I have accepted that I"m wondering where the hell is it?! The random encounters of hostile enemies attempting to board your ship.

False advertising? Maybe they meant how you beam down onto other ships during mission,.... or something I'm unaware of. :confused:
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited July 2013
    I like the newer ship interiors, specially Suliban, small and extremely efficcient.