test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Sexism And Racism From The Tailor!

irwin109irwin109 Member Posts: 518 Arc User
Not an entirely serious post but...

I've noticed a lot of options are missing from one sex or race to another and I don't really understand why.

For example:
  • No long hair out of ponytails for males even in the off duty options.
  • No shorts for males on the Risian beachcomber costume.
  • The different armour for races like Nausicaans not being cross race.
  • No ally costumes for Romulans, such as no Federation costumes for Fedulans.
  • Reman unique costumes including the Nemesis costume that was once worn by a human clone.

The list could probably go on but you get the point...
Diversity my left foot! lol
IrwinSig-1.jpg

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan
Post edited by irwin109 on

Comments

• dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    • Reman unique costumes including the Nemesis costume that was once worn by a human clone.

So ONE human clone wears it in the history of the universe so everyone gets to? :eek: Quite a low bar you got there. ;)
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.
  • conundrumnsaconundrumnsa Member Posts: 705 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    [/LIST]
    So ONE human clone wears it in the history of the universe so everyone gets to? :eek: Quite a low bar you got there. ;)

How many things are in STO because they were mentioned (not even actually seen) once in some version of Trek?
  • zekeferrignozekeferrigno Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    irwin109 wrote: »
    [*]No long hair out of ponytails for males even in the off duty options.
    l

There is a male ponytail, it is short and like a warrior. Look harder. Unless you actually mean like some kind of MLP stuff and you actually want a pony's tail for your hair...in which case, GOOD I'm glad it isn't in the game.
    Anyway, like I was sayin', shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich. That- that's about it. - Bubba
  • grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    [*]No shorts for males on the Risian beachcomber costume.
    [

That is dissapointing, but saves me saving for them on my main toon. Thanks for that.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,149 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • hank900hank900 Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Don't get me started on this subject, it ticks me off something bad.
    http://www.1279sto.com[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • irwin109irwin109 Member Posts: 518 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    [/LIST]

Well it's just clothes, why would that stop anyone wearing them, ok maybe they'd have to make an XXXL version for the Gorn but still!

Equality, that's all I ask XD

Thinking about it I missed out the 7 of 9 and T'Pol uniforms, why can't men wear these? XD
    IrwinSig-1.jpg

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan
    edited July 2013
    There is a male ponytail, it is short and like a warrior. Look harder. Unless you actually mean like some kind of MLP stuff and you actually want a pony's tail for your hair...in which case, GOOD I'm glad it isn't in the game.

lol you misread, or I wasn't clear enough, I meant long hair that isn't in a ponytail, like the females can have.
    IrwinSig-1.jpg

edited July 2013
    thay8472 wrote: »

Oh well, I take it back then, that looks awesome!
    IrwinSig-1.jpg

• skyranger1414skyranger1414 Member Posts: 1,785 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    [/LIST]

It might be too distinctive tbh.

But for stuff like gloves, visors, boots, pouches, etc, it really should be all open to all. We desperately need more options and Cryptic insists on separating basic things into as many categories as it can.
  • smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It annoys me that there are a lot of good costume pieces on the Romulan side that are restricted to those bloody unique story boffs. Please make them available to all Romulans.
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • katanic123katanic123 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    My romulan cant wear my klink academy eye patch, im disgusted!
    Captain Cavillian
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • oldkilldareoldkilldare Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    seriously lets be honest...there is very little logic to most of the clothing restrictions.

and post LOR the tailor SERIOUSLY BADLY NEEDS a full pass (involving community/dev interaction) like it had at least once (and possibly twice) before that i can remember of.
    katanic123 wrote: »
    My romulan cant wear my klink academy eye patch, im disgusted!
    actually a decent example.

no reason the klink academy pack shouldn't grant at least the "normal" and currently "Fed" only eye patch to Romulans.

or do we think Romulans (who have always seemed quite vain and style conscious as a race) who have picked up an eye injury just walk around with a disgusting open eye socket ?...Hakeev and his Borg implant exuded ofc...
    It annoys me that there are a lot of good costume pieces on the Romulan side that are restricted to those bloody unique story boffs. Please make them available to all Romulans.
    i'm tempted to give them some leeway to make a few bob and suggest that should be part of a (relatively cheap) costume pack however what annoys me is that if you try and alter the unique boffs just a little...bits of their outfits currently disappear...

you cannot even load the male SCi boff (i for get his name for the moment) in the tailor without one of his bracers completely disappearing and there is no way to get it back through the menu selections.

also i'll add my own niggle: female Romulans can't use the Romulan "Nero" tattoo...which is completely nuts because the (prime universe) comic panel that was sourced from by the devs has women on Neros ship with the tattoos already done in the foreground while Nero sits in the background getting his done.

and you can use them on female aliens (of all factions) and have always been able to since its introduction.

seriously who the **** sat down at a computer at Cryptic in the year 2013 and thought "noooo, that's a mans tattoo" ? because that's something that's been deliberately turned off from an all encapsulating default not the other way round.

EH ?
  • marikaoniki1marikaoniki1 Member Posts: 85 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    seriously who the **** sat down at a computer at Cryptic in the year 2013 and thought "noooo, that's a mans tattoo" ? because that's something that's been deliberately turned off from an all encapsulating default not the other way round.

EH ?

While I'm all in favor of more costume options, I had a though after reading this, and decided to play Devil's Advocate. What if the tattoo means the guy with it is a widower? From what I understand, Nero didn't shave his head and tattoo it until his family died in the Hobus supernova.

Just speculating, mind you.
  • oldkhemaraaoldkhemaraa Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Uniforms period need a once over. The whole KDF could use a serious pass. Every thing from Racial arors (or lack there of in the case of the Orions) to changes in color palattes (again, Orions, why they are restricted to such a narrow color palette.. There is no canon reason why the KDF races should have such restricted palettes. Items that are "uniforms" sure I understand, But off duty? And Orions? (Orions don't do uniforms ok, they do jewelry and really need some more options something fierce.. just doesn't make sense at all)

Yes I'm a KDF loyaist, but frankly the Fed faction could use a little bit of tailor love also.. 'specially the Romulan/Reman Fed allied. I'm certain there are things that could be done that wouldn't kill the racial "flavor" But don't base everything the remans wear off of one damd movie! CBS can't possibly be that restrictive.. so its got to be the studio.

Ya;ll are running out of ships to make anyway.. and any ship artist should be able to make interior sets.

And on a related note.. COULD WE PLEASE HAVE A TOGGLE ON KDF SHIP INTERIORS TO KILL THE STUPID FOG EFFECT AND IMPROVE THE LIGHTING?

The Fof comes from ONE movie where the special effects team tossed it in to HIDE an imcomplete set.... Its not canon, its a bloody special effect that was only utilized two, perhapes three times... all of the other times you THOUGHT it was seen, was using a soft focus to obscure the backround (ie: close up of Targ dieing)
    "I aim to misbehave" - Malcolm Reynolds
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The tailor is a disaster zone. I wouldn't mind if they just focused on bugs and the tailor for a while. I actually might prefer that.

Oh and we still don't have beards for Romulans.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
    edited July 2013
    While I'm all in favor of more costume options, I had a though after reading this, and decided to play Devil's Advocate. What if the tattoo means the guy with it is a widower? From what I understand, Nero didn't shave his head and tattoo it until his family died in the Hobus supernova.

Just speculating, mind you.
    you should only play devils advocate when it's worth it.

i understand why you did so. i came on a bit strong. but the fact remains that tattoo has been available on female aliens since it was introduced (and still is) and someone sat in front a PC and thought exactly what i suggested and turned. it. off.

i can wear it on my female Romulan...because she's an alien...who the game thinks is a Romulan...which is another issue...but still it kinda erodes your grasping at speculative lore to justify it.
    lan451 wrote: »
    The tailor is a disaster zone. I wouldn't mind if they just focused on bugs and the tailor for a while. I actually might prefer that.

Oh and we still don't have beards for Romulans.
    there was at least one (possibly two) occasions when the devs responsible for the tailor and costumes sat down via the forums and we went through the tailor and its its bugs and mistakes and what should and shouldn't work on who and whatnot with the community but sadly i doubt we'll see its like again (even though half the canon uniforms would have been wrong without community input) because PW apparently doesn't allow that kind of developer interaction anymore :(
  • rayethrayeth Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    This has come up quite a few times, but I wanted to post my 2 cents myself.

I play as a caitian female, and for the kitties and lizards the head options are very limited, I have 6 earring options, KDF eye patches, or the 7 of 9 eyebrow.

None of the Lobi store jewelry works, nor do the sunglasses you can get in the Risa event, as well as other things like VISORs are unavailable. I'd like to see the devs give some love to the actual alien looking aliens as far as costumes for a change!
    I found a plot hole! NURSE!
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,866 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    First off, the Romulans aren't Starfleet officers so why would the be wearing Starfleet uniforms? They didn't graduate from the academy much less get any training for it...

Whats wrong with some races having some unique options? Why does everyone have to have everything? Just another person with only one character and refuses to put any effort into a second character and wants everything...
    Can't have a honest conversation because of a white knight with power
  • themartianthemartian Member Posts: 247 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Uniforms period need a once over. The whole KDF could use a serious pass. Every thing from Racial arors (or lack there of in the case of the Orions) to changes in color palattes (again, Orions, why they are restricted to such a narrow color palette.. There is no canon reason why the KDF races should have such restricted palettes. Items that are "uniforms" sure I understand, But off duty? And Orions? (Orions don't do uniforms ok, they do jewelry and really need some more options something fierce.. just doesn't make sense at all)

I totally agree. I don't see why they don't just open up the full palette for every one. For those who want to be grim warriors of the empire, they can still use the browns and greys while the Orions can use more pleasing tones. I find the fact that some of my Risa flowers are limited to those ugly colours really annoying too. Before someone cries "canon", look around ESD and see how many canon outfits come in hideous colour clashing choices.
    My alt army:
    K'ymara, Orion Engineer. Caedera of Borg, Liberated Borg Tactical, Elyza Vix, Joined Trill Scientist. Christina Bellona, Augmented Human Tactical.
    T'Lana, Vulcan Scientist. Arbol, Martian Tactical. Ayzer Bryn, Joined Trill Engineer. Hawke, Betazoid Scientist. Karna Valkras, Klingon Engineer. Beth Parker, Human Tactical
    Sarel, Romulan Engineer (Federation). Yazuri, Reman Scientist (KDF)
  • aquitaine985aquitaine985 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Join PvP Boot Camp! We have cake, skill respecs, exclusive sexy "PvP Boot Camp Graduate" ingame titles! Be the envy if your fleet mates! Don't be a square! Be a triangle for STO's round hole ;) BANG! ZOOM! WIZARD LEMONADE GIGGLE SWISH!

Sign up in the sub forum and learn from some of the community's best! Learn how to work as a team, get the very best out of your ship, make keybinds to make you faster, harder, longer lasting in all aspects of space combat!

Are you feeling lonely? Are the same o' STFs leaving you unsatisfied? Do you long for some ever evolving goodness to shake your nacelle at? Join PVP Boot Camp! The only community suited & booted project to leave you wanting more... *Sean Connery eye-brow wiggle*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    @Aquitaine985
    Lag Industries STO PvP Fleet - Executive
    A Sad Panda of Industrial calibre.
    2010: This is Cryptic PvP. Please hold the line, your call is very important to us...
  • onyxheart1onyxheart1 Member Posts: 347 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Join PvP Boot Camp! We have cake, skill respecs, exclusive sexy "PvP Boot Camp Graduate" ingame titles! Be the envy if your fleet mates! Don't be a square! Be a triangle for STO's round hole ;) BANG! ZOOM! WIZARD LEMONADE GIGGLE SWISH!

Sign up in the sub forum and learn from some of the community's best! Learn how to work as a team, get the very best out of your ship, make keybinds to make you faster, harder, longer lasting in all aspects of space combat!

Are you feeling lonely? Are the same o' STFs leaving you unsatisfied? Do you long for some ever evolving goodness to shake your nacelle at? Join PVP Boot Camp! The only community suited & booted project to leave you wanting more... *Sean Connery eye-brow wiggle*

what thread do you think you're posting in friend? this is a tailor issues thread, not a recruitment thread.
    i was quite disappointed with there being no options for caitians/ferasans as well as our saurian and gorn fellows when it came to the eyewear in the summer event, and now finding out from rayeth that the lobi store earrings don't work, i'm doubly disappointed and glad i haven't bought any. the tailor is more segregated than a pre civil rights movement alabama school, tear down those barriers and let us mix and match clothing, give us a full color palette for every piece of clothing and slot, and go over everything so they don't clip (or at least clip to where it's nearly unnoticeable) then, then we or at least i will be happy
    KDF for Life! <3 Romulan at Heart <3 Fed cause they made me ~ :P
    signature-omega.png
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    He's been going around spamming that TRIBBLE in a bunch of threads. It makes PVP boot camp look bad.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • thestargazethestargaze Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Not an entirely serious post but...

I've noticed a lot of options are missing from one sex or race to another and I don't really understand why.

For example:
    • No long hair out of ponytails for males even in the off duty options.
    • No shorts for males on the Risian beachcomber costume.
    • The different armour for races like Nausicaans not being cross race.
    • No ally costumes for Romulans, such as no Federation costumes for Fedulans.

The list could probably go on but you get the point...
    Diversity my left foot! lol

Well, if you are going to start that then I can say,..
    • Why can't females have longer Risan beachcomber costume
    • Why can't females wear a suit .. I personally hate that dress which is an options to the male suit. Its not pretty,..
    • Why can't ROM females wear that short sleeve set that the male ROM characters can wear.
    • Why does the female pants on most FED uniforms looks strange - like the Odyssey uniform set.

Seriously,.. the male uniforms ALWAYS looks so much nicer.
  • dixoniumdixonium Member Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    thay8472 wrote: »

And how, precisely, was this accomplished?
    edited July 2013
    lianthelia wrote: »
    First off, the Romulans aren't Starfleet officers so why would the be wearing Starfleet uniforms? They didn't graduate from the academy much less get any training for it...

Whats wrong with some races having some unique options? Why does everyone have to have everything? Just another person with only one character and refuses to put any effort into a second character and wants everything...

Well they've allied with Fed' or KDF so why wouldn't they get the choice? They've assisted in several missions to help Starfleet and if you're making that argument then why are they allowed to access facilities at ESD and the Academy?
    I have 3 toons making a fourth tonight so far one human Fed', one Nausicaan KDF and one Rom-Fed', so your second argument is a bit redundant, I just think in a game that promotes equality and diversity it seems kind of odd to be restricted on these things. A good example in real life would be a woman going into a shop to buy a t-shirt and being denied because t-shirts are for males, she'd be outraged surely, why shouldn't she be able to buy and wear a t-shirt regardless of what sex (and in STO race) the shirt was intended for?
    lan451 wrote: »
    He's been going around spamming that TRIBBLE in a bunch of threads. It makes PVP boot camp look bad.

Is there a report function on the forums? If so this guys getting one!
    Well, if you are going to start that then I can say,..
    • Why can't females have longer Risan beachcomber costume
    • Why can't females wear a suit .. I personally hate that dress which is an options to the male suit. Its not pretty,..
    • Why can't ROM females wear that short sleeve set that the male ROM characters can wear.
    • Why does the female pants on most FED uniforms looks strange - like the Odyssey uniform set.

Seriously,.. the male uniforms ALWAYS looks so much nicer.

Totally agree, shorts and three quaters should be able to be worn by everyone, you don't see that in RL, "sorry ma'am you cannot purchase those three quater pants as you're not a male. Same goes with all the points you've made, considering the uniforms are meant to be uniform for male and female it's odd the look so different.

EDIT: And lest we forget these guys:
    http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x54/TrueX-Ray/TNG%20Caption%20This/200NerysMyk.jpg

http://geek-news.mtv.com//wp-content/uploads/geek/2013/04/startrek_manskirt.png
    IrwinSig-1.jpg

• gishka#4096 gishka Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I want to be able to use the "fingerless" romulan kdf gloves on the rest of my kdf characters.
    Most of the klingons you see on the shows wear fingerless gloves (if they are wearing gloves) yet only romulans can in game...
    Dahar Master Gishka - I.K.S. Storm of Quin'lat
    tlhIngan maH taHjaj!
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    dixonium wrote: »
    And how, precisely, was this accomplished?
    I'm pretty sure thay8472 used the import costume in the Foundry. This tool was removed in LoR.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,149 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    erei1 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure thay8472 used the import costume in the Foundry. This tool was removed in LoR.

*beats Erei1 with a stick*

Yeah. Thats how I did it.

Imported a Orion Male Npc... something went crazy and unlocked everything.

Nausicaan armour also works pretty well on other male characters.

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb1/DalekCaan_2007/2_zps56943091.png

Gorn 2

(blue guy on the right)

Baby Undine... awwwww
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
    edited July 2013
    found out today that for some reason the Tal Shiar chest gear chain thing is also male only...even on Rom-aliens...which doesn't tally up with countless NPCs...

seriously disappointed is an understatement.