test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ship interiors, what is the point?

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
edited July 2013 in The Academy
I know there are millions of thread probably about the subject of "Interiors".
Sure.. I have wanted that since the start aswell, but the hype around it is now really overwhelming from the community.
However, even when we get the Interiours.. what will then happen? What will they fill for function and how will YOU use them?
I might have missed some vital information for its purpose or will it just have the same function as the Bridge? (meaning almost nothing).

Is this only a "addon" for Role play purposes?

//Solna

Ps My intension is not to bash the idea of Interiors, but the question of their purpose is heavy on my thoughts so just wanted to ask those who knows more then me :). ds.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Ferren wrote:
    Sure.. I have wanted that since the start aswell, but the hype around it is now really overwhelming from the community.
    However, even when we get the Interiours.. what will then happen? What will they fill for function and how will YOU use them?
    I might have missed some vital information for its purpose or will it just have the same function as the Bridge? (meaning almost nothing).

//Solna

Ps My intension is not to bash the idea of Interiors, but the question of their purpose is heavy on my thoughts so just wanted to ask those who knows more then me :). ds.

there'll be some optional mini games...

really they're just bringing them out for RP'ers and to mask the fact that the game isn't great
    edited July 2010
    I think they do primarily serve a roleplaying purpose, providing roleplayers with a location we're all familiar with as fans of the series. They also provide a location for the development team to include new features - mini-games such as poker and injury healing are likely to take place in ship interiors. The theme, I think, then, is that these interiors will add another level of immersion to STO by creating a place for us to go that relates directly to what we see on television when we watch Star Trek.
    edited July 2010
    They also provide a location for the development team to include new features - mini-games such as poker and injury healing are likely to take place in ship interiors. .

Sounds quite promising. Gives even me a little more exited :)
    Mardoxx wrote:
    mask the fact that the game isn't great
    How diplomatic of you.
    edited July 2010
    its like player housing or player citys in other mmos. it serves the same purpose as star bases do and will have some minigames. additional every map is a possibility for missions and holodeck offers limitless fun(could be some kind of mission generator for players or even custom content tool).
    edited July 2010
    It is actually a combination of things. Housing, mini-games, RPing, missions, etc. There is much that can be done with interiors. We won't see it all at once, but as time goes on they will become more and more useful.
    edited July 2010
    The whole idea behind interiors is because its something the players have wanted for a long time. Even before the game was released we weren't going to get the bridges but people complained enough that they were put in. Now we have a situation where the bridges look nice and all that but they hold no true purpose to being in the game (much like practically every other version of 'player housing' in games (except the sims)). Cryptic have realised this and are still on their mission to bring full ship exploration however they want to add a purpose to doing so. What is the point in spending a few months creating content people will only use once right?

So currently they are working on mini-games that will be doable whilst inside your ship. You can boast various trophies and whatnot for friends. One thing that seemed interesting though were the mini-games themselves. By mini-games im not talking dabo or poker or whatever else they are adding like those, the mini-games are there to serve a purpose like crafting an item on this part of the ship or doing something else on that part. It -should- be pretty good when its implemented but until it truely is we wont know for sure.

I think the majority of us are holding our breaths and touching wood right now (not THAT wood!)
    edited July 2010
    currently they are working on textures and stuff to make interiors for every bridge variation thats what delays the release.
    edited July 2010
    i asked this question in the interior thread. in the end after any nostalgia, it'll be boring just like the captains table area. and its taking so long, this is the main thing in season 2. reason being that all the bridges they created, they have to connect each bridge possible to each set of interior they make. so if there are 3 layouts to choose from for interiors, they have to make sure each of the what 50 bridges in game? connects to them. not hard but time consuming.

nothing to do.

sto isnt a simulation, so nothing can happen unless you want it too.

but imagine if you could be walking around your ship and a cloaked romulan ship beamed in a boarding party and you have to run to fight them etc...

season 2 is mediocre at best, but if season 3-4 don't deliver some sort of content that users can create and enjoy themselves, like territorial pvp or something then this game will continue to bleed subs until its down to like maybe 5-10k people.

then it gets shutdown or free 2 play and people come back and maybe picks up again. but being f2p with minimal updates over a period of time it could still go on.

otherwise a reboot of the game is needed like a movie, and a star trek simulation, which im sure millions would play.

how could they think st fans would want a shallow 100% scripted game like this is beyond me.
    what they promised in 2008 is far from what we got. exploration being king of all the offenders. a random and boring mission generator.

they claim people want to be in the ST universe and be part of it, a simulation would have been the way to go. something like X3 Reunion. Set against the ST universe.
    edited July 2010
    Actually, getting the interiors into the game will be the preverbial "brick" in the wall for future content and features. While it may not be aparent now, think of playing WoW or EQ2 without mounts. This will be a apringboard for more missions as well as customization possibilities. Most MMO's offer housing options that are not present in STO. In Pirates of the Burning Sea, many of us have wanted a personal "Captains Quarters" that one could decorate, customize and make truly 'our own' like the housing in Everquest 2 or Vanguard. It will start off slow at firat, but it will make more things possible. The thought of being able to beam over to a Fleet-Mates ship during a battle and either repel boarding parties or assist in damage control operations would be cool.
    edited July 2010
    Ferren wrote:

//Solna

Same reason as the diplomatic core.

To make this game feel more like Star Trek and less like Star Wars
    edited July 2010
    in a nutshell:

interiors bring more "Star Trek" karma into the game.

edited July 2010
    an good example in the case of interiors is the diplomatic missions that has been made.

Where you have to do diffrent things to reach a final objective and suceed.

Same thing could be made with an interior, insted of just traveling around the universe with nothing happening, with interiors they could add random encounters such as,
    - beeing borded
    - plasma leak
    - a wierd creature running around your ship.
    - warpcore breach.

etc.

also, to quote Dhstal, one of the reason he was hesitating to release interiors with 2.0 was the fact that he wants there to be things to do on them, as of such he aperantly wanted to wait until user generated content gets introduced.

But nothing signed on paper as of yet.
    edited July 2010
    I hope there is a lot of tinkering. I love tinkering. Even if I have to blow a ton of EC, it would be well worth making stuff or doing something for slight improvements in different parts of my ship.
    edited July 2010
    I won't care about ship interiors until they do something useful. Like for example, you go to Engineering and do some mini-game that after earning so many "points" you successfully increased your ships structural integrity field that boosts your hull strength or maneuverability for space combat. Or you go to Astrometrics, do some mini-game and eventually improve your senors. Etc. for other areas.

I would also like to see multiple games per area or at the very least multiple bonuses per area -- where you can only activate one bonus at a time. For example, back to Engineering and the bonuses I mentioned above. You either have 2 mini-games which when adequately ground give a bonus to some stat or you have one mini-game where when completed one way it gives a bonus to stat A, when completed another way gives a bonus to stat B. Your purpose for going to back to Engineering once you completed the activation of both bonus stats, is to go back and choose which one you want to be active.

So, again, for Engineering you'd have 2 structural integrity modifications, one gives a bonus to hull strength, the other gives a bonus to maneuverability. At first you go to Engineering to create the modifications. Once you have created the modifications, trips to Engineering allow you to change things up by deciding which one you want active. The goal is to try and always have a reason for visiting the area, because well, they will have spent a lot of time on creating the area. Time that will have been wasted if no one has a reason to go there.
    edited July 2010
    T-child wrote: »
    an good example in the case of interiors is the diplomatic missions that has been made.

Where you have to do diffrent things to reach a final objective and suceed.

Same thing could be made with an interior, insted of just traveling around the universe with nothing happening, with interiors they could add random encounters such as,
    - beeing borded
    - plasma leak
    - a wierd creature running around your ship.
    - warpcore breach.

etc.

also, to quote Dhstal, one of the reason he was hesitating to release interiors with 2.0 was the fact that he wants there to be things to do on them, as of such he aperantly wanted to wait until user generated content gets introduced.

But nothing signed on paper as of yet.

That's another good example. Wouldn't it be cool if they hooked into the injury system. You know you have a space battle. A ship sustains an injury in Engineering. At the end of the space battle mission before leaving the area you are handed an optional mission to go to Engineering and fix a plamsa leak and put of plasma fires; or go to some other area of the ship and do some applicable task, like for example, a lot your crew was injured and help is needed in the sick bay.
    edited July 2010
    Well, you can really go hardcore with interiors but might be a bit annoying like:
    - Everytime you add a new console or Device to the ship, you have to go inside your ship and install them (Go to engineering, Science lab and so on).
    - Use Your own Sickbay to heal Injuries on yourself and crew.
    - Go to Engineering to repair Injuries on ship.
    - Promote BO can only be done in the Readyroom.
    - BO will be located on their area of expertise (Engineer in Engineering, Science in Science lab and so forth).
    - Tweak your ship by doing daily Missions inside your ship (Scan, repair and fix diffrent stations around the ship) And get a 24 hour buff on you that gives you extra points in Weapons, flight, shields and so forth.

Like I said, can be a really annoying system but hey... only suggestions.
    edited July 2010
    Ferren wrote:
    Well, you can really go hardcore with interiors but might be a bit annoying like:
    - Everytime you add a new console or Device to the ship, you have to go inside your ship and install them (Go to engineering, Science lab and so on).
    - BO will be located on their area of expertise (Engineer in Engineering, Science in Science lab and so forth).
    - Tweak your ship by doing daily Missions inside your ship (Scan, repair and fix diffrent stations around the ship) And get a 24 hour buff on you that gives you extra points in Weapons, flight, shields and so forth.

why would a captain fit consoles?
    why would a captain man sick bay?
    why would a captain run maintenance on the ship?

just food for thought
    edited July 2010
    Mardoxx wrote: »

just food for thought

You send your BOFF and play as him/her.
    edited July 2010
    Galtrovan wrote: »
    You send your BOFF and play as him/her.

Me likey what he said.
    edited July 2010
    Ferren wrote:

//Solna

What....you don't want to walk down a (another) corridor.......or look in the ships broom closet?

You must be some kind of FREAK....everybody knows that the interior of the ship is what it's all about. And without ship interiors we will not be complete as individuals!

Of coarse maybe if Crytic had a chance to finish the Klingon side it might make the whole game better....but not at the cost of those irreplacable ship interiors where we are going to..........i dunno......maybe we could play cards in the ships game room.....or go to the ships bar and get sh*t faced.:D

I can't wait.
    edited July 2010

just food for thought

True, but captains should not go on away missions asmuch as we do in STO either.
    *Just to balance the thoughts*

"While during the 23rd century it was commonplace for a ship's captain to lead away missions, in the 24th century this was discouraged in favor of having the first officer lead the away team"

So we are probably already breaking alot of regulations of just beeing on every away mission so the fact that the "Captain" starts to run installement don't seem so weird anymore in my opinion, at least in the universe av Star Trek Online.
    edited July 2010
    Ferren wrote:

maybe we could do fun stuff like hang wallpaper in our quarters.....or paint the walls of engineering.

just suggestions.
    edited July 2010
    gmacd wrote: »
    maybe we could do fun stuff like hang wallpaper in our quarters.....or paint the walls of engineering.

just suggestions.

Suggest them to Cryptic if you think that would be a good idea :)
    edited July 2010

just food for thought

One name. Captain Janeway.

If I recall correctly, she was a very hands on type of captain, doing a lot of stuff herself (Like in the first episode when she was the one to handle the warpcore breach).

Who says our captains can't be like that?

And honestly, I'd rather be in sickbay.
    edited July 2010
    The point is to come up with ways of making mo money. I wonder how much the interiors will be selling for in the c-store.
    edited July 2010

just food for thought

IIRC, by the time Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan rolled around, both McCoy and Scotty were Captains.

Also, you're not just the Captain. You're the entire bridge team. They're yours to control.

Just food for thought.

:cool:
    edited July 2010
    One thing I'd like to see is a Holodeck. Now I know that, technically, the entire game is one giant Holodeck Simulation, but hear me out. I'm thinking like as you do story/episode missions, you unlock races, genders, locales, etc. that you can input into the Holodeck's Generation Matrix and you can gave it generate a situation. What would be the point? I would use it to test out stuff like equipment loadouts for my Captain, equipment and/or skill loadouts for my BOFFS (like if you're thinking about using a specific skill, but you're not sure how effective it is you could try it out before spending all those hard-earned BOFF Points to max it out), equipment loadouts for ships, different ship-types, etc. Oh and I'd use it to test things to see if Cryptic has fixed certain things. Basically I'd use it to test stuff without risking injuries and stuff. I think to further its use, anyone on board your ship (team-mates, etc.) can join in the Holodeck Simulation simply by turbolifting the Holodeck and walking in. I think it could be an effective and valuable resource for Fleets to try out Fleet Manuevers and Strategies.
    edited July 2010
    Li_Xiao wrote: »
    One thing I'd like to see is a Holodeck. Now I know that, technically, the entire game is one giant Holodeck Simulation, but hear me out. I'm thinking like as you do story/episode missions, you unlock races, genders, locales, etc. that you can input into the Holodeck's Generation Matrix and you can gave it generate a situation. What would be the point? I would use it to test out stuff like equipment loadouts for my Captain, equipment and/or skill loadouts for my BOFFS (like if you're thinking about using a specific skill, but you're not sure how effective it is you could try it out before spending all those hard-earned BOFF Points to max it out), equipment loadouts for ships, different ship-types, etc. Oh and I'd use it to test things to see if Cryptic has fixed certain things. Basically I'd use it to test stuff without risking injuries and stuff. I think to further its use, anyone on board your ship (team-mates, etc.) can join in the Holodeck Simulation simply by turbolifting the Holodeck and walking in. I think it could be an effective and valuable resource for Fleets to try out Fleet Manuevers and Strategies.

yeah what he said + TRIBBLE
    edited July 2010
    Blackavaar wrote: »
    IIRC, by the time Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan rolled around, both McCoy and Scotty were Captains.

Also, you're not just the Captain. You're the entire bridge team. They're yours to control.

Just food for thought.

:cool:

No. McCoy was a Commander in all the movies.

McCoy in 2293 (ST:VI) http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/File:Leonard_McCoy,_2293.jpg
    That is the rank of Commander.

From memory alpha...
    In 2285, Scott was promoted and reassigned to the USS Excelsior as Captain of engineering during the ship's early test runs.

All that said...I am a Captain and a Engineer. I wouldn't mind fixing the <insert appropriate technobable> before it causes my ship to explode. Or something similar. Science officers might want to spend time in a lab or in sickbay. The mini game idea is awesome I think and would allow new episodes to take place inside your ship instead of having to travel to point "a" and do whatever...

In ST:III WoK Scotty got the promotion to Capt. of Engineering. McCoy was never shown higher than Commander until he was seen on board the Enterprise D.
  • alsalilalsalil Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    can we beam to a friends ship, and have a meeting on the bar?
    can we send a boarding party to an enemy ship to disable/capture/salvage it?