test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Request for Floaters ("Jet Packs") to Remain, Be Used Off-World

wilsonfrontierwilsonfrontier Member Posts: 32 Arc User
I think like the Winter Boots, the Floaters (IE: "Jet Packs") should remain - permanently. And be able to be used in any/all environments. With the caveat that you can't do anything else - like fire weapons, scan, apply shield charges or hyposprays, et cetera - while using them.

IE, they remain solely as a means of transport/travel. You can use them on, say, the Defera Invasion zone or DS9 or ESD or Starfleet Academy (the list goes on) in order to zoom around/travel.

Because they're awesome, fun, and what other reasons do we need beyond that? :D :cool:
Post edited by wilsonfrontier on

Comments

• Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Not even kind of an option. Every single map in the game would have to be redesigned for players to zoom around everywhere without falling off the map, getting stuck in the geometry, allowing the limited AI pathfinding to deal with the player, barriers that were no longer effective, and so on. Might be fun, but mostly it would be an immense headache purely for coolness sake. Not very practical.
  • Options
    admiraldcadmiraldc Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Now, new maps made with things like it in mind, instead of having to rip apart the old ones to make them work?

That seems more reasonable, and it would be cool. Dunno how much work that would be compared to normal, but it's a thought.
  • Options
    nadiezjanadiezja Member Posts: 629 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I only want to be able to use my jetpack in one place.

Vlugata.

It would make asteroid mining a PILE less frustrating and more fun.

Whee MMS!
  • Options
    latinumbarlatinumbar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    That would be really cool. But based on the following dev responses, I doubt it will happen.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    There are a lot of problems that come from allowing people to fly (trust me, I've worked on 2 separate Superhero MMOs). But Risa was built with this in mind, so it should be good to go. It would be a considerable amount of work (and a billion bugs) if we allowed you to fly your 'floater' everywhere else in the game.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    I'm telling you, there is a ton of work in trying to retrofit an existing map, that was not designed for flying characters. It's not something I want to do, and I really hope we don't head down that rabbit hole.
    whoami4whoami4 Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    PLZ! Let us use our jet packs out of risa also :(
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    They have said no. not only would it be potentially game breaking as no maps were ever designed with this in mind, i personally think it would look a mess.

flying around is ok on risa but it would look silly if everyone was doing it all the time.
  • Options
    wargillwargill Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    yes and thank you.
    Give me all your latinum... Hew-mon!!
  • Options
    idronaidrona Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I think like the Winter Boots, the Floaters (IE: "Jet Packs") should remain - permanently. And be able to be used in any/all environments. With the caveat that you can't do anything else - like fire weapons, scan, apply shield charges or hyposprays, et cetera - while using them.

IE, they remain solely as a means of transport/travel. You can use them on, say, the Defera Invasion zone or DS9 or ESD or Starfleet Academy (the list goes on) in order to zoom around/travel.

Because they're awesome, fun, and what other reasons do we need beyond that? :D :cool:

That would be awesome, except I think they should work precisely as they do right now.

The game would gain very much attraction too I think, and open up more options for Cryptic to earn our money. Even if they can't do it overnight it would be cool if it could be done in stages too. :)
    signwidrona.png
  • Options
    metiswarriormetiswarrior Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Love this idea, add emotes to it and its awesome . Dancing and such becomes that much more interesting :cool:
  • Options
    jetwtfjetwtf Member Posts: 1,207
    edited June 2013
    They wont retrofit old maps to use them but since they are here now there is a very good possibility that new maps may be added that has a use for them. Next few seasons may include one or 2 since it can be a money maker for them to add more content that uses them like the EV suits has a zen KDF and fed version.

If they do add more content and I cannot see them doing all that work introducing them for just 1 single summer event I hope they add a Floater race.
    "I'm drunk, whats your excuse for being an idiot?" - Unknown drunk man. :eek:
  • Options
    nabuborianabuboria Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I remember way back when the frost boots came out I made a similar thread, back then it was "impossible" for the boots to be permanent, yet low and behold they are now permanent? Only STO/PWE make impossibilities a reality :P

I wonder what 'lies' we will get this time as to why we can't use these jet packs should be an enjoyable read.

as for the petition +1, although by now you guys and gals should know that petitions do nothing in the STO world.
    [SIGPIC] Element CKY Electric [/SIGPIC]
    "similar to our already generous free-to-play philosophy" - Insert Keith Lemon laugh
  • Options
    twelveparsecstwelveparsecs Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Well you have already seen the quotes from a Dev basically saying they hope it doesn't happen because they can't be bothered and don't want to.... toughtitty - you're customers DO!!

Didn't the customer always used to be right? :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Great kid, don't get penisy!
  • Options
    jetwtfjetwtf Member Posts: 1,207
    edited June 2013
    Well you have already seen the quotes from a Dev basically saying they hope it doesn't happen because they can't be bothered and don't want to.... toughtitty - you're customers DO!!

Read: http://notalwaysright.com/
    "I'm drunk, whats your excuse for being an idiot?" - Unknown drunk man. :eek:
  • Options
    edited June 2013

no customers are usually idiots.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    nabuboria wrote: »
    I remember way back when the frost boots came out I made a similar thread, back then it was "impossible" for the boots to be permanent, yet low and behold they are now permanent? Only STO/PWE make impossibilities a reality :P

I wonder what 'lies' we will get this time as to why we can't use these jet packs should be an enjoyable read.

as for the petition +1, although by now you guys and gals should know that petitions do nothing in the STO world.

thats a different issue. if i remember correctly they were unsure what effect it would have on the game balance because of the increased speed (i dont remember anyone saying it would be impossible). it turns out it was nothing to worry about and they kept them.

this would have people missing waypoints, skipping fights. it would have people flying to parts of maps and getting stuck, seeing rooftops that never need to be built because there was no way anyone could get up there.

its not impossible to fix, nothing is impossible but the difference between the boots and jetpacks is a whole world away.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    thats a different issue. if i remember correctly they were unsure what effect it would have on the game balance because of the increased speed (i dont remember anyone saying it would be impossible). it turns out it was nothing to worry about and they kept them.

this would have people missing waypoints, skipping fights. it would have people flying to parts of maps and getting stuck, seeing rooftops that never need to be built because there was no way anyone could get up there.

its not impossible to fix, nothing is impossible but the difference between the boots and jetpacks is a whole world away.

It was claimed to be an impossibility of the game engine and it's structure (bare in mind this was many moons ago)

as for the jet packs, I agree it's a different issue but the same story.
    "similar to our already generous free-to-play philosophy" - Insert Keith Lemon laugh
  • Options
    lindalefflindaleff Member Posts: 3,734 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I would greatly love to use this on New Romulus, or some other open planet where running is tedious at best. Of course, this would be deactivated the moment we enter Red Alert, just like the boots. But for getting from one side of the map to the other, this is the best way.

In any case, why bother saving up 1000 lolnuts on a rocket pack that is not usable on any other map? If it was only just the one version (like the boots), I would not mind so much. But when we have to save up for a super premium version of something, I expect it to last longer than just the event.
    I completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE, Optionals included. And I soloed Winter Invasion.
    My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord, ISS Queen Elizabeth, Black Widow III
    Click here to view my DeviantArt.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    It was claimed to be an impossibility of the game engine and it's structure (bare in mind this was many moons ago)

as for the jet packs, I agree it's a different issue but the same story.

how was it claimed to be an impossibility? we could use the boots for a limited time before. they just made it permanent? maybe im forgetting something but i really dont recall the reason as being a game limitation.

even if you are right its a very different story. you dont have to know anything about game design to know that a game that is based on foot will be thrown into chaos is you then add jetpacks. you're not meant to suddenly be able to fly from one side to the other and bypass all of the triggers and stuff on the ground. yes you could add the feature, i dont think anyone is saying its impossible but it would cause problems with the missions. its not impossible to add it, you simply dont want to add it because of how the game plays.

and when you dont need to reach certain parts of a map, you dont need to go make it as bullet proof as the areas that you interact with. if you give people packs they will encounter a huge number of bugs and issues that would require them to modify a bunch of maps. maybe even all of the maps and for what? wasted development time just so people can fly around in a game like superheroes in a star trek game that ruins mission structure.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    how was it claimed to be an impossibility? we could use the boots for a limited time before. they just made it permanent? maybe im forgetting something but i really dont recall the reason as being a game limitation.

even if you are right its a very different story. you dont have to know anything about game design to know that a game that is based on foot will be thrown into chaos is you then add jetpacks. you're not meant to suddenly be able to fly from one side to the other and bypass all of the triggers and stuff on the ground. yes you could add the feature, i dont think anyone is saying its impossible but it would cause problems with the missions. its not impossible to add it, you simply dont want to add it because of how the game plays.

and when you dont need to reach certain parts of a map, you dont need to go make it as bullet proof as the areas that you interact with. if you give people packs they will encounter a huge number of bugs and issues that would require them to modify a bunch of maps. maybe even all of the maps and for what? wasted development time just so people can fly around in a game like superheroes in a star trek game that ruins mission structure.

You definitely don't remember my thread then, as it was all in their :)

And I have no clue as to why you are so upset over my comments? all of which are truth. most of what you are saying is some of the reasons behind why the boots were claimed to be an issue, which they are not. (surprise surprise?)

Even declaring all previously made content no-fly zones, they have every possibility to make new areas (and even highly used old areas) fully compatibly with jet packs but I'll happily bet anything that this will not happen. that is the true issue... laziness and being able to get away with it but then covering it up with lies instead of truth which in most cases people are reasonable about if it's a true limitation people will except it, but when it's a lie that is more see-through than a window then problems arise.

You can defend STO as much as you want lol.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    You definitely don't remember my thread then, as it was all in their :)

And I have no clue as to why you are so upset over my comments? all of which are truth. most of what you are saying is some of the reasons behind why the boots were claimed to be an issue, which they are not. (surprise surprise?)

Even declaring all previously made content no-fly zones, they have every possibility to make new areas (and even highly used old areas) fully compatibly with jet packs but I'll happily bet anything that this will not happen. that is the true issue... laziness and being able to get away with it but then covering it up with lies instead of truth which in most cases people are reasonable about if it's a true limitation people will except it, but when it's a lie that is more see-through than a window then problems arise.

You can defend STO as much as you want lol.

No, i dont remember a two year old thread. i even said maybe im misremembering. if you can find the thread then great, i would like to read it.

and im not getting upset. im not sure why you think i am? im trying to explain why it would be a very bad idea to allow jet packs into a game (or old missions should i say), not designed for jetpacks. im not sure why that means im defending the game or anything because i dont want time wasted on something that breaks the flow of missions and is not even very star trek to begin with?

if they want to make new areas then fine. maybe they will, maybe they wont. if there is a good reason to add a special area or mission then i have no problem with that. never said i did. i have no problem with them being on risa which is a new zone. if they were as lazy as you say then why even invent it for risa in the first place?

and i find it quite hypocritical of you to then claim i am only arguing with you to defend the game and getting all upset when your arguments are based on them being liars and lazy. have a look in the mirror because you seem to be the one taking the emotional view point here.
  • Options
    frostovskifrostovski Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I understand it would take a lot of work to redo the existing maps so they could accommodate floaters, but PLEASE let us continue to use them on risa!! what's the harm in that?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    i dont want time wasted on something that breaks the flow of missions and is not even very star trek to begin with?

Seriously? You're actually gonna go with that?

Guess you are in the wrong game then lol.

Since pre-beta time has been wasted :rolleyes:
  • Options
    nsevenrevenantnsevenrevenant Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I think it would be great if they stayed for several reasons:

1) Some ground missions are pretty long walk.

2) Frozen boots stayed.

3) I missed Q's winterland by a week :)

Even if it were difficult to do it in other maps - earth space dock for example might be tricky if there are no "physical" barriers (like ceiling) - Devs could limit the floaters to just hower 1 or two meters above floor, or just make them hower few cm, to be them just for speed.
    Just little animation + speed would be enough. No flying (though it's nice).
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I think it would be great if they stayed for several reasons:

1) Some ground missions are pretty long walk.

2) Frozen boots stayed.

3) I missed Q's winterland by a week :)

Even if it were difficult to do it in other maps - earth space dock for example might be tricky if there are no "physical" barriers (like ceiling) - Devs could limit the floaters to just hower 1 or two meters above floor, or just make them hower few cm, to be them just for speed.
    Just little animation + speed would be enough. No flying (though it's nice).

Changing an item to suit the needs of many players desires, don't be silly... ;)
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Seriously? You're actually gonna go with that?

Guess you are in the wrong game then lol.

Since pre-beta time has been wasted :rolleyes:

No, i am serious.

1) do you want a jetpack added that means you can bypass markers that are placed on the ground and mess up the mission flow? can you imagine how many people will be missing the markers, or skipping parts of the story, complaining missions dont work, killing mobs in the wrong orders. it would be a mess. (As an example a lot of foundry missions are built because you know exactly where the player is going to walk. if they can fly then the missions could be broken).

2) the second point is certainly a personal opinion and is just my opinion. i have no problems with jetpacks in game. i dont really want jetpacks to be usable in every zone ever though. yes rocket boots are trek but they were seen in one film. they were not a daily mode of transportaion. im not playing a superhero game here. some will like it some wont. some will hate it. id rather not have something that is a little borderline on its role in trek. thats my opinion.

all of that on top of the development time it would take to fix it all up that could be better spent on new missions, rather than adding a feature that is not needed and will annoy a lot of people.

if they want to add it then fine, but i think the whole thing would be a massive waste of time
  • Options
    smoovioussmoovious Member Posts: 264 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Definite good to have in some places. New Romulus would be nice. Perhaps some other areas where the only way to get up to certain areas is to fly up to it.

Agreed about most areas not having been designed for it, but new areas should be possible.

Have to say a definite no-no on starbases and any other enclosed place we go to. That's just rediculous.

-- Smoov
  • Options
    otowiotowi Member Posts: 600 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    lindaleff wrote: »
    I would greatly love to use this on New Romulus, or some other open planet where running is tedious at best. Of course, this would be deactivated the moment we enter Red Alert, just like the boots. But for getting from one side of the map to the other, this is the best way.

In any case, why bother saving up 1000 lolnuts on a rocket pack that is not usable on any other map? If it was only just the one version (like the boots), I would not mind so much. But when we have to save up for a super premium version of something, I expect it to last longer than just the event.

The bolded text is so true. New Romulus is a pita to run around on, even with the transporter pads. This planet coud really use a redo for floaters/jetpacks. Same goes for Nimbus III and a few other big planets.

But particularly New Romulus would benefit from floaters/jetpacks being added.
  • Options
    twelveparsecstwelveparsecs Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    no customers are usually idiots.

With an attitude like that I would go out of my way to annoy you if you were the customer services I had to deal with.

BAD FORM!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Great kid, don't get penisy!
  • Options
    krayuskorianiskrayuskorianis Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    How about keeping this awesome new Risa map? Instead of letting it rot for a year after the event is over.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    i3-2100 3.10GHz
    8GB Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM CL9
    ASUS DirectCU II GTX 660 OC 2GB GDDR5
  • Options
    velocy1985velocy1985 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Making them usable everywhere would be kinda gamebreaking. Like... passing by some group of Borg over the air in Cure Ground and just kill them after the optional has been fulfilled.

However, some old Maps would be really nice to explore by Jetpack

- New Romulus: Very beautiful designed, but needs a lot of bugfixing (like the bug where you can walk in sky).
    - Bajor
    - Andorria
    - Vulcan
    - Starfleet Academy
    - Nimbus III