test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Fleet Wars

magnumoftheblackmagnumoftheblack Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited June 2013 in PvP Gameplay
Am I the only one that thinks that Cryptic should allow Federation fleets flip the switch to war against Klingon Fleets?

What I mean is, Either a Fed or Klingon fleet should have the option to challenge as many enemy fleets as they wish and if the fleet accepts, they are automatically "Red" to each other so if they run into enemies at DS9, Drozana Station, Risa, New Romulus and any area where Fed and Klingon fleets can meet they can immediately shoot each other. Also there should be a planet (e.g. Andoria) where they can fight in space and on the ground.

Am I living the past of the old SWG days? Or do others think that this could be fun?
Post edited by magnumoftheblack on

Comments

• Options
    warrenconradwarrenconrad Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I like this idea.
    Had some good guild wars in SWG. That kind of action could be a lot of fun in STO.
  • Options
    darthtrekker4400darthtrekker4400 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I totally agree. I wish PvP was more worthwhile to more players. I absolutely love PvP, but not many people play, and I do not feel like waiting most of the time for people to join the quenue. I have never played SWG, but I like your idea.

I wish that there was a sector block for PvP similar to Battlestar Galactica Online. Federation and Klingons fight each other for control of the sector block by capturing planets throughout the sector. First, they would have to wipe out the enemy presence in the space are around the planet and then wipe out the enemy on the ground to capture the planet. Plus, if sector control had an impact on game-play, people would play in that PvP. The only bad thing is that the Klingons would automatically have fewer numbers, so they are at a disadvantage. That is how it is for the Cylons most of the time because most people play as the Colonials on BSGO.
  • Options
    aquitaine985aquitaine985 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Sounds awesome, but that war would last the better part of an afternoon.

Feds out number Klinks in EVERY way.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    @Aquitaine985
    Lag Industries STO PvP Fleet - Executive
    A Sad Panda of Industrial calibre.
    2010: This is Cryptic PvP. Please hold the line, your call is very important to us...
  • Options
    mrkollinsmrkollins Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Absolutely
    Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
  • Options
    nastrossnastross Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I highly disagree with field PvP.
  • Options
    aquitaine985aquitaine985 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    This all sounds as lot like some of the ideas DrkFrontiers has for PvP, really interesting stuff.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    @Aquitaine985
    Lag Industries STO PvP Fleet - Executive
    A Sad Panda of Industrial calibre.
    2010: This is Cryptic PvP. Please hold the line, your call is very important to us...
  • Options
    johnny111971johnny111971 Member Posts: 1,300 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Gets my vote!

To the poster commenting about the KDF having fewer players, wouldnt necessarily matter in this case. If Fed Fleet A challenges KDF Fleet X... they can decide amonst the fleet leaders to accept the challenge. At some point making sure the fleet sizes are similar.

I do think there needs to be a player flag to toggle availability to PvP or not (and something like a countdown to remove (i.e. you can't turn it on, take a pot shot then immediately turn it off). Once deactivated, you remain "targetable" for 5 minutes?

I honestly lke this idea very much... imagine flying through sector space, and spotting your enemy... and engaging in 1v1 immediately. Taking your team over to the Fed Start Base system or KDF Base system, and attacking...

As someone else stated... seeing your enemy in DS9, and attacking. Tons of possibilities... I'm game!

Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I like this idea.
    Had some good guild wars in SWG. That kind of action could be a lot of fun in STO.

Speaking of which, do you know where I could get a copy of SWG in the Croatian capital city? :o

Just watched the gameplay on YouTube (after hearing a lot of good stuff about it a few months earlier), and it's BEAUTIFUL. *has an urge to get SWG, download SWGEmu, and play it all day*

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    shockwave85shockwave85 Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Considering the imbalance between the KDF and Fed, I'd rather see things based on queues and not on open PvP. At least in social zones, Ker'rat is still hilarious. Having territory control, guild wars, etc based on queued events places the KDF on a level playing field. At that point, it's who won more even 5v5/10v10/whatever matches, not who can gank the other group with sheer numbers.

(though to be honest, pitting 5-10 random KDF players against 5-10 random Feds is an advantage to the KDF)
    ssog-maco-sig.jpg
  • Options
    magnumoftheblackmagnumoftheblack Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Considering the imbalance between the KDF and Fed, I'd rather see things based on queues and not on open PvP. At least in social zones, Ker'rat is still hilarious. Having territory control, guild wars, etc based on queued events places the KDF on a level playing field. At that point, it's who won more even 5v5/10v10/whatever matches, not who can gank the other group with sheer numbers.

(though to be honest, pitting 5-10 random KDF players against 5-10 random Feds is an advantage to the KDF)

Fleet Wars is not about imbalance unless a 5 person KDF fleet decided to challenge a 100 person Fed Fleet to a War. The idea that I came up with is a supplement to PVP. So not only do you have the option to queue up for a war with whatever fleet you desire, you can PVP traditionally as well.
  • Options
    tequilapastatequilapasta Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I would be in favour of this, but you'd need to raise the player cap per instance for it to really work - with the current absurdly low numbers per huge, sprawling map you'd have practically zero chance of finding folks, and even less chance to call in re-enforcements if you are lucky enough to spot your quarry.
    TdfsKwJ.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    dalolorn wrote: »
    Speaking of which, do you know where I could get a copy of SWG in the Croatian capital city? :o

Just watched the gameplay on YouTube (after hearing a lot of good stuff about it a few months earlier), and it's BEAUTIFUL. *has an urge to get SWG, download SWGEmu, and play it all day*

SWG was shut down, just before the launch of SWTOR. There is the swgemu. I did not get into it. It was built on the premise that SWG was a dead horse once the NGE was released. So it was made the same as SWG was at a specific point in time. I did not hate the NGE outright and stayed in SWG, which did improve before the end. The end being brought on by corporate greed(thaks sooooooo much SOE).

Unfortunately, the game that SWG got shut down for is a shallow pos WOW clone, compared to SWG it is not even worth being a Star Wars game.

/Rant off
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    SWG was shut down, just before the launch of SWTOR. There is the swgemu. I did not get into it. It was built on the premise that SWG was a dead horse once the NGE was released. So it was made the same as SWG was at a specific point in time. I did not hate the NGE outright and stayed in SWG, which did improve before the end. The end being brought on by corporate greed(thaks sooooooo much SOE).

Unfortunately, the game that SWG got shut down for is a shallow pos WOW clone, compared to SWG it is not even worth being a Star Wars game.

/Rant off

The thing is, SWGEmu needs me to find a copy of SWG and install it before I can play.

Even if I were dumb enough to download it from a 3rd party site, if the SWGE team found out about it, I'd probably be banned from it. :(

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    No

Bad idea

some larger fleets would spend their time exterminating small fleets
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    :) yes please this sounds fun
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    dalolorn wrote: »
    The thing is, SWGEmu needs me to find a copy of SWG and install it before I can play.

Even if I were dumb enough to download it from a 3rd party site, if the SWGE team found out about it, I'd probably be banned from it. :(

I was not aware of this. I'd suggest trying E-bay or some other online auction. Someone might be selling a set as a collectors item.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I was not aware of this. I'd suggest trying E-bay or some other online auction. Someone might be selling a set as a collectors item.

While most other people would gladly do so...

I'm not "most other people". Long story. :(

• Options
    illcadiaillcadia Member Posts: 1,412 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2013
    sollvax wrote: »
    No

Bad idea

some larger fleets would spend their time exterminating small fleets

Did you miss the 'totally optional' part, where both fleets have to agree to it?

A large fleet decides to TRIBBLE all over a small fleet. They challenge them to fleet war. The small fleet says no.

WHAT NOW?
  • Options
    webdeathwebdeath Member Posts: 1,570 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    City of Heroes had this option. I don't see why they haven't introduced it to the game yet..

They had it where you could buy and place different defenses and such in your base to help defend it when doing that type of a contest.

Maybe they are trying to finish fleshing out the Fleet bases first? :confused:
    You think that your beta test was bad?
    Think about this:
    American Football has been in open beta for 144 years. ~Kotaku
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    illcadia wrote: »
    Did you miss the 'totally optional' part, where both fleets have to agree to it?

A large fleet decides to TRIBBLE all over a small fleet. They challenge them to fleet war. The small fleet says no.

WHAT NOW?

The large fleet posts a FAKE you tube video of them "defeating" the small fleet
    boasts all over this forum

or has an agent in the smaller fleet accept the challenge
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    maicake716maicake716 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

but if nothing is lost or gained.... does it matter?

also... sounds like a sneaky romulan double agent to me.
    mancom wrote: »
    Frankly, I think the only sound advice that one can give new players at this time is to stay away from PVP in STO.
    Science pvp at its best-http://www.youtube.com/user/matteo716
    Do you even Science Bro?
  • Options
    illcadiaillcadia Member Posts: 1,412 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2013

They have an agent leading the small fleet?

Wow. So they made this small fleet exclusively to get a bunch of unafiliated members and then defeat in pvp a bunch?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    one or two fleets go to a lot of trouble to interfere with smaller more successful fleets
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    newreman1newreman1 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Fleet v Fleet would be great, then some individual posters (not to name names) could potentially be in a position to how you say......put up or shutup?

This is the truth it is somewhat refutable IMHO.
  • Options
    starfleetownsallstarfleetownsall Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    well most likely how this will probably work is that fleet will be fighting for that teritory and get for example energy credits for controllng that territory. th is ho it works in world of tanks. now the bigger fleets will have a slight adavnatge depending on how many players will be allowed to fight because they have trained more have the better equipment from starbase etc. if they would do this fleet wars thing it would defenitely revive pvp as a whole new thing. i would agree that maybe fleet wars should be in a timeslot for example at noon so everyone knows what time they should be there or set up a time b/w the fleets.
    Task Force Spectre, Legion of Spectre, and House of Spectre is recruiting!
    I watch the only good STO podcast STOked Radio
    Want to learn more about any of the above? Let me know!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    grik3grik3 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Wish they did this a great deal. as it would revitalize the pvp base i would suggest forming a Facebook page creating a petition maybe seeing if you could email people who are in positions of power. That and generally more is what is required to get even noticed by a gaming group to listen to what your saying. Including fleet station combat would be awesome as well if you set it up like they did world of tanks for a small bonus if you hold the territory.
  • Options
    felderburgfelderburg Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Fleet Wars is not about imbalance unless a 5 person KDF fleet decided to challenge a 100 person Fed Fleet to a War. The idea that I came up with is a supplement to PVP. So not only do you have the option to queue up for a war with whatever fleet you desire, you can PVP traditionally as well.

The thing is, if a small fleet like that challenged a larger fleet, chances are all 5 of those players would be relatively hard core PvPers, and many of the 100 fleet players might not be. So it could be a situation where the 100-player fleet has a few PvPers who are really into it, but the other 80 non-PvPers in their fleet just get hammered while trying to enjoy PvE.

So something like this, if implemented, might actually lead to large fleets breaking off smaller PvP-focused fleets, so that the PvP portion of the fleet can free-PvP in peace, while not interfering with non-PvP players.
    webdeath wrote: »
    City of Heroes had this option. I don't see why they haven't introduced it to the game yet..

They had it where you could buy and place different defenses and such in your base to help defend it when doing that type of a contest.

Maybe they are trying to finish fleshing out the Fleet bases first? :confused:

In CoH, the functionality of the base raids was never that great, and they were eventually removed entirely. http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Base_Raid
  • Options
    borgresearcherborgresearcher Member Posts: 451 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    id like to see command ships like the jupiter class only useable by fleet bosses, something like 50k hull 3 turn rate 10 weapon slots and stuff <.<