test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Vanilla PvP Mode

sterlingwarbirdsterlingwarbird Member Posts: 186 Arc User
edited June 2013 in PvP Gameplay
I have a suggestion, my Fleet has been playing around with tweaking Rear Admiral ships to maximize in PvP against each other and we've discovered a whole new realm of fun in taking old or "obsolete" ships now and kitting them out to do battle against each other.

I did strike me thinking that we could ask Cryptic to put this in the game as another "mode" to PvP. This mode would have some pretty cool rules to help balance out PvP and would not affect "normal" PvP or PvE in the slightest but would appeal to fans of the original game, pre-F2P.

These are the rules...

- No Lockbox ships, equipment or consoles
- No Fleet equipment, weapons or consoles or Ships
- Rear Admiral or C-Store Vice Admiral (Gen 1) Ships Only

(C-Store Gen 1 Ships are as follows
- Intrepid-R
- Galaxy-R
- Defiant-R
- Akira Carrier
- Atrox Carrier
- Vulcan D'Kyr
- Excelsior-R
- Nebula-R
- MVAM Prometheus
- Dreadnought Cruiser
(and Klingon and Romulan equivalents of those ships)

- No Reputation Abilites (Unfortunately, nothing can be done about the passives but they are not game breaking)

This mode would allow players to enjoy a taste of "old skool" STO PvP and would make ships like the Intrepid-R and Galaxy-R which are considered "obsolete" in the game at the moment relevant again. It would also make PvP more accessible to new players that don't have lockbox ships, weapons and fleet equipment.

I believe this would benefit PvP on the whole and make the game more accessible for others without damaging the "original" PvP mode. It would also allow players to kit out another ship and have fun with some of the older vessels of STO as well.

Anyone else have any other ideas?

On a side note, My Fleet has been trying to organise "Vanilla" Tournaments in STO to try and appeal to classic players who enjoyed the old PvP. So if you are interested, send me a PM or something.
Post edited by sterlingwarbird on

Comments

• Options
    smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I do wish we could disable passives for such an event. Some of them would be imbalancing, such as the Romulan placate, particularly against people who may not have completed their reps.
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I do wish we could disable passives for such an event. Some of them would be imbalancing, such as the Romulan placate, particularly against people who may not have completed their reps.

I agree but there is nothing we can do, only Cryptic would be able to disable them. At least these rules put people on equal ground. Or thats what we are trying to achieve.
  • Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Half of those ships are much newer then "Gen 1" .
    If you're looking to "get back to basics" then remember that way back when only 1 carrier existed (KDF) and no retrofits . That would be "Gen 1" .
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    aelfwin1 wrote: »
    Half of those ships are much newer then "Gen 1" .
    If you're looking to "get back to basics" then remember that way back when only 1 carrier existed (KDF) and no retrofits . That would be "Gen 1" .

I know but I am also thinking about people that bought the Galaxy, Defiant and Intrepid retrofits, like myself but cannot use them anymore because they are simply not competitive PvP ships. I did not want to get too restrictive on vessels because these ships were balanced nicely against Rear Admiral Vessels and Pre-F2P PvP used to be good fun with these ships included as well.
  • Options
    shockwave85shockwave85 Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'd like to see the ability to customize the conditions of your match in a private PvP lobby. Enable or disable specific powers, weapons, consoles, ships, etc. Set minimum/maximum player level for participants. If a player comes into the lobby with a "banned" power or console, that power will just not work. If they come in with a "banned" ship, they will have a visible flag (so the organizer can kick them if they need to), and the event won't start until they switch ships. If their level is out of range, they just won't be able to join the lobby, or it'll boot them when the filter is set.

A few custom public queues would be nice too. The one the OP posted isn't a bad idea. I'd also like to see:

Shuttles only
    Tier 1 ships only (and maybe T2, 3 and 4 queues as well)
    No reputation powers
    No reputation/set equipment

These special queues would all be, ideally, cross-faction free for alls to avoid needing to have "FvF - Shuttles only", "FvK - Tier 1", etc for every variation.
    ssog-maco-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I'd like to see the ability to customize the conditions of your match in a private PvP lobby. Enable or disable specific powers, weapons, consoles, ships, etc. Set minimum/maximum player level for participants. If a player comes into the lobby with a "banned" power or console, that power will just not work. If they come in with a "banned" ship, they will have a visible flag (so the organizer can kick them if they need to), and the event won't start until they switch ships. If their level is out of range, they just won't be able to join the lobby, or it'll boot them when the filter is set.

A few custom public queues would be nice too. The one the OP posted isn't a bad idea. I'd also like to see:

Shuttles only
    Tier 1 ships only (and maybe T2, 3 and 4 queues as well)
    No reputation powers
    No reputation/set equipment

These special queues would all be, ideally, cross-faction free for alls to avoid needing to have "FvF - Shuttles only", "FvK - Tier 1", etc for every variation.

Yeah, I think that's a great idea. Things like this are not hard to integrate into the game and the only reason for Cryptic not to do it is to say "But we cannot make profit out of it... so how do we monterise it?"
  • Options
    gonjaagonjaa Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Yeah, I think that's a great idea. Things like this are not hard to integrate into the game and the only reason for Cryptic not to do it is to say "But we cannot make profit out of it... so how do we monterise it?"

Which is a fair question.

Simple answer is to wrap these addons in a c-store pvp enhancement pack for non-subscribers.

The real question is how many people will care enough to make it a worthwhile project?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    gonjaa wrote: »
    Which is a fair question.

Simple answer is to wrap these addons in a c-store pvp enhancement pack for non-subscribers.

The real question is how many people will care enough to make it a worthwhile project?

Oh yeah, totally... because we need to charge for EVERY aspect of the game... Its not a fair question... it would just highlight cryptic's greed.
  • Options
    skyranger1414skyranger1414 Member Posts: 1,785 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Oh yeah, totally... because we need to charge for EVERY aspect of the game... Its not a fair question... it would just highlight cryptic's greed.

Unfortunately that is how Cryptic works. If it can't demonstrate a direct revenue increase over using the man hours on something else its not getting priority to be done, or is even likely to be done at all. Why is it they keep releasing ships and have a ship-centric economic model but can hardly be bothered to make costumes to sell outside the C-store?
  • Options
    sdkraustsdkraust Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with the Galaxy-R. It is a fantastic Ship. It's a Assault Cruiser with a Cloak and Spiral Lance for god's sake.

Thing can do a pretty good Alpha.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    sdkraust wrote: »
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with the Galaxy-R. It is a fantastic Ship. It's a Assault Cruiser with a Cloak and Spiral Lance for god's sake.

Thing can do a pretty good Alpha.

That is the Galaxy Dreadnought, good ship but it does need an update, the Galaxy-R has the Saucer Seperation console.
  • Options
    thezoo69thezoo69 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I have a suggestion, my Fleet has been playing around with tweaking Rear Admiral ships to maximize in PvP against each other and we've discovered a whole new realm of fun in taking old or "obsolete" ships now and kitting them out to do battle against each other.

I did strike me thinking that we could ask Cryptic to put this in the game as another "mode" to PvP. This mode would have some pretty cool rules to help balance out PvP and would not affect "normal" PvP or PvE in the slightest but would appeal to fans of the original game, pre-F2P.

These are the rules...

- No Lockbox ships, equipment or consoles
    - No Fleet equipment, weapons or consoles or Ships
    - Rear Admiral or C-Store Vice Admiral (Gen 1) Ships Only

(C-Store Gen 1 Ships are as follows
    - Intrepid-R
    - Galaxy-R
    - Defiant-R
    - Akira Carrier
    - Atrox Carrier
    - Vulcan D'Kyr
    - Excelsior-R
    - Nebula-R
    - MVAM Prometheus
    - Dreadnought Cruiser
    (and Klingon and Romulan equivalents of those ships)

- No Reputation Abilites (Unfortunately, nothing can be done about the passives but they are not game breaking)

This mode would allow players to enjoy a taste of "old skool" STO PvP and would make ships like the Intrepid-R and Galaxy-R which are considered "obsolete" in the game at the moment relevant again. It would also make PvP more accessible to new players that don't have lockbox ships, weapons and fleet equipment.

I believe this would benefit PvP on the whole and make the game more accessible for others without damaging the "original" PvP mode. It would also allow players to kit out another ship and have fun with some of the older vessels of STO as well.

Anyone else have any other ideas?

On a side note, My Fleet has been trying to organise "Vanilla" Tournaments in STO to try and appeal to classic players who enjoyed the old PvP. So if you are interested, send me a PM or something.

I can think of 1 Addition & 1 Rule right now that would improve PVP for a lot of people. You can keep your big long list lol.

....Add a Lone Wolf PVP Queue. As in a PVP option for the single player that does not allow Pre-made groups to join the same Queue....

That would likely bring some balance.

Cheers,
    Zoo (D'Zoo)
  • Options
    rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    thezoo69 wrote: »
    I can think of 1 Addition & 1 Rule right now that would improve PVP for a lot of people. You can keep your big long list lol.

....Add a Lone Wolf PVP Queue. As in a PVP option for the single player that does not allow Pre-made groups to join the same Queue....

That would likely bring some balance.

Cheers,
    Zoo (D'Zoo)

That... would be a godsend. Ive wanted that in so many games in the past. A blind, totally random, no grouping allowed queue...
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    That... would be a godsend. Ive wanted that in so many games in the past. A blind, totally random, no grouping allowed queue...

Thumbs up there!
  • Options
    pyryckpyryck Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    While I'm not a PvPer, I do try to follow PvP threads here in the General discussion because of how they might effect my PvE game. Don't bother trying to argue that PvP doesn't effect PvE or that even if it did it really wouldn't matter because PvE = EZmode.

On observation, based both on the postings here and in general regarding PvP, I see quite a lot of ideas put forth where the individual poster wants other PvPers to conform to this way or that way in which the PvPer posting views PvP to be most enjoyable.

Why not form some sort of Vanilla PvP league where you set down the rules regarding character and ship makeup. This would then provide PvPers the option of participating within the confines of the rules. The core founding group can decide on the details of the rules and then make them public. You could ask for donations to participate in the competition and those donations could go towards rewards.

It is easier to provide options for players so that they can decide and choose to participate than it is to try to force them all into one certain set of rules.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    pyryck wrote: »
    While I'm not a PvPer, I do try to follow PvP threads here in the General discussion because of how they might effect my PvE game. Don't bother trying to argue that PvP doesn't effect PvE or that even if it did it really wouldn't matter because PvE = EZmode.

On observation, based both on the postings here and in general regarding PvP, I see quite a lot of ideas put forth where the individual poster wants other PvPers to conform to this way or that way in which the PvPer posting views PvP to be most enjoyable.

Why not form some sort of Vanilla PvP league where you set down the rules regarding character and ship makeup. This would then provide PvPers the option of participating within the confines of the rules. The core founding group can decide on the details of the rules and then make them public. You could ask for donations to participate in the competition and those donations could go towards rewards.

It is easier to provide options for players so that they can decide and choose to participate than it is to try to force them all into one certain set of rules.

I don't see any conflict or forced conformity in adding 1 more PVP Queue option for players who can't get a group together a particular night and don't want to go up against a fully coordinated pre-made group.

It's an extra option for flexible game play, which would likely encourage more PVP. Are you against choice? Otherwise I'm unsure of what you are arguing against.

Cheers,
    Zoo (D'Zoo)
  • Options
    pyryckpyryck Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    thezoo69 wrote: »
    I don't see any conflict or forced conformity in adding 1 more PVP Queue option for players who can't get a group together a particular night and don't want to go up against a fully coordinated pre-made group.

It's an extra option for flexible game play, which would likely encourage more PVP. Are you against choice? Otherwise I'm unsure of what you are arguing against.

Cheers,
    Zoo (D'Zoo)

It would not be right or fair for Cryptic to create a public event with private rules. By "private rules" I mean creating any sort of PvP match where the player is limited in using what game assets, attributes or abilities that they might have acquired for their character. Public events should allow you to use any game assets or abilities acquired in game. By public I mean an event queue where any player logged in can queue up for it.

It would be fair or right for players to coordinate and create a private event with private rules. Then you can isolate or dictate what is acceptable ship or stats-wise to participate in the event. You can then enforce your desired choice of how you would like to PvP.

Yes, I am all for choice and having more options to choose from in a game is a wonderful thing. :)
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    pyryck wrote: »
    It would not be right or fair for Cryptic to create a public event with private rules. By "private rules" I mean creating any sort of PvP match where the player is limited in using what game assets, attributes or abilities that they might have acquired for their character. Public events should allow you to use any game assets or abilities acquired in game. By public I mean an event queue where any player logged in can queue up for it.

It would be fair or right for players to coordinate and create a private event with private rules. Then you can isolate or dictate what is acceptable ship or stats-wise to participate in the event. You can then enforce your desired choice of how you would like to PvP.

Yes, I am all for choice and having more options to choose from in a game is a wonderful thing. :)

Well from reading what you've written here, it appears you have nothing against adding an additional PvP Queue option for single players to randomly team up and not have to face a pre-made group. That's great!

Cheers,
    Zoo (D'Zoo)
  • Options
    panserbjorne39panserbjorne39 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    To the OP, I think you have a great general concept here. I do think, however, that fleet ships should be included in the eligible list. I'm not sure it makes sense to allow certain C-store ships in but not fleet ships. I understand this is going more towards what you and your fleet friends are into, but to appeal to a wider audience more ships should be allowed. Of course if you're able to make your own private queues then by all means do as you wish but for a public queue I think too much restriction is limiting.
    Also, paying to make this happen seems very reasonable to me. Something like silver players can pay 500 zen one time for unlimited access and gold members get access as part of sub could work.
    The whole pay to win thing is definitely starting to frustrate me and I really do want to enjoy PVP. But the complete lack of balance and power creep is killing things. Especially for new players coming in to PVP for the first time.
  • Options
    adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I love the idea... now if only I hadn't put my last two million ECs into a warp core for my healboat... I'd be able to buy some non-fleet tets for my Excelsior...
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • Options
    robby0321robby0321 Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    There is nothing wrong with the way pvp is in this game. If you don't want to fight people that have full rep perks and fleet gear on their ships or have box ships. Just stay out of pvp and do private matches where you can in force your silly idea of what pvp should be. There ya go plain and simple.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    robby0321 wrote: »
    There is nothing wrong with the way pvp is in this game. If you don't want to fight people that have full rep perks and fleet gear on their ships or have box ships. Just stay out of pvp and do private matches where you can in force your silly idea of what pvp should be. There ya go plain and simple.

That makes no sense and makes PvP an "elitist" thing and we know how well that goes down in other games. PvPers are important members of the community and its important that anyone have access to this feature if they desire it.

How does making PvP accessible to casual players harm you in the slightest.
  • Options
    robby0321robby0321 Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    You just complain because you can't or don't want to get better at pvp you want to come in and fire your little phasers and roleplay your a Starfleet captain. Well I say to you learn the game mechinc's and get better at pvp or just don't pvp plain and simple.
  • Options
    redsnake721redsnake721 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    robby0321 wrote: »

Really? Have you played Arena lately? What PVP is now should be no sane persons idea of acceptable.

It's completly full of players using broken console's, exploit combos, insanely stacked resists, nothing but Bug ships and Wells and Temp destroyers and the like. You can't even drop shields anymore, you have to kill your opponent with bleed-through.
    Just watch some of the Pandas video's they posted recently. No one on either team died from not having shields, they died from bleed-through hull damage with shields still at %100.
    The OP and his fleet (and many others) love PVP but realise with all the cheese out there it has become way too convoluted.
    And to the OP: Cryptic will not do anythign to bring something like this about. You will have to create your own chat channel in game and organise this yourself. Cryptic would not do this because if they did no one would play the current PVP areans. Then they would not be able to sell thier broken OP consoles and ships anymore. People could have a great PVP experence and be successful without having to P2W.

I would love to fight in a battle vs players in standard ships and gear. It would come down to skill and player ability, not exploitable builds and gaming keyboards with macro enabled combos that give users hands free %100 uptime and rotation on all abilities. Which sadly is what it takes now to be successful in Arena PVP.

Too bad the Foundry can't be used to create something like this. Where maps are created that only allow ships and gear that the creator pre-determined. If the Foundry could be used to make PVP maps with creator designed rules and requirements it would really enhanse the game.
  • Options
    twamtwam Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Well, to be honest it seems like an easy money situation for Cryptic, as far as I'm concerned.

Here's why: it'll boost the sales of ships that probably stopped selling well because they're getting obsoleted. Such a vanilla pvp mode will give people a reason to buy older ships again. These ships are already introduced and paid for, so any additional sells are pure profit.

I think something like this would be awesome, surely, but imo the biggest advantage that comes with it is that it would introduce a very accessible level of pvp. Nowadays, in unrestricted PvP, a new player without any fleet ships/elite gear/rep boni/lockbox stuff/etc will be sorely challenged to do well. A retro pvp mode will curb some of the gear/rep disadvantages, making it an excellent venue to practice and acquire the skills.

And guess what? Something like this will be a perfect complement to the PvP Boot Camp and be much more attractive to the casual pvp player. I suspect there's lots of people that would love to just hit the queues every once in a while, but are deterred by the sheer gear/rep/etc disparity level, while also not motivated enough to get into the organised PvP groups/channels (might not even know how). I know I can't be bothered to get private queues organised and therefore default to regular queues, hoping to not get facerolled by top premades.
  • Options
    mancommancom Member Posts: 784 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    This sounds similar to Classic PVP.
  • Options
    kinetic78kinetic78 Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Op I love this idea , was talking about it a few weeks ago to my mates , and they also like the idea .

Perhaps the next No Bs tourney could do this , or some sort if fun day
  • Options
    johnny111971johnny111971 Member Posts: 1,300 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Loving that Classic PVP idea... OP do check the link... I think it is pretty straight forward.

One thing, as I have been reading this (and many other) pvp threads... if we wait for cryptic... we will be waiting for a long time, and we can just move from thread to thread to thread.. bemoaning the same thing each time.

Similar to things such as the PVP Bootcamp, I think we (the players) need to take the reigns here, and make these things happen... if we can show that there is interest... support... expand the ranks of PVP participants, then perhaps enhancements will come.

While I understand some are a little jaded, lets try to be helpful, and constructive here. There are some realities that must be accepted, and it will do no good for us to get mired in a bunch of in-fighting that serves no one.

Reality 1) Cryptic is a company, and companies need to make money. Any requested enhancement will go through some research to estimate costs, and expected revenue (be it direct (i.e. PVP Expansion Pack), Indirect (i.e. Additional Ship Sales), and so on. This is normal, healthy... and actually a good thing. They need to pay the devs (and they aren't paid nearly enough to have to deal with the forums :\), pay to upgrade servers, utiltiies, back-ups, co-locations, etc etc etc... simply put, if the game doesn't make money, it will go away.

Reality 2) Not everyone is a PVP God, Demi God, Elite, etc etc... and as a community we need to be more open to new ideas, more open to people interested in PVP. There is such a thing as Sportsmanship, Gamesmanship, etc that should be honored. Shortand sweet.. Be Nice, & Helpful... we want more players... not less...

Reality 3) When you are new to PVP, it is not like PVE... in fact that excellent PVE Build, and Boff skills may not work exceptionally well in PVP. It is highly recommended that you find a PVP Mentor... perhaps consider signing up for the PVP Bootcamp (no affiliation by the way...). Talk to others, read the forums, and seek to improve.

Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
  • Options
    adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Well, so long as I am allowed to use my MACO space set then i have a ship now that conforms to the rules :)
    ZiOfChe.png?1