test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A polite request to DS9 Traffic Control

jaimeson99jaimeson99 Member Posts: 43 Arc User
(Please note, this message has been translated from Klingon by an SF interpreter and has had all threats, promises of reigning vengeance down and discussions of paternity removed or modified for a human audience).

Msg from: Lieutenant General L'la - Fleet coordinator Q'onos, Honour Guard 1st Class.

Hi there Starfleet officers in charge of giving permission to dock at DS9.

As a Klingon, when I first visited DS9 as a junior officer I was rightly asked "not to cause any trouble" and was given rather short shrift by your traffic control personel. Rude would not be an unfair assessment of your customer service skills. Normally this would have lead to your ritual dis-embowlment, but the interests of The Empire precluded this.

At a later point in my career I was not only instrumental in repelling a Dominion invasion of the Alpha Quadrant but also in saving the lives of every individual on DS9 at no small risk to myself, my ship and my crew.

The next time I visited DS9 I at least expected some level of courtesy from your staff. Maybe a small "thankyou for saving my family's lives". Perhaps some sort of recognition of the fact you would be currently floating in deep space like a rather messy explosively decompressed human popsicle if not for the actions of myself and my heroic crew.

On arrival at DS9 what was the welcome I recieved? "If you must dock, dont cause any trouble you Klingon scum".

I must recommend that the station commander remedies this before my next visit or the Starfleet personel who were saved by me quite recently will find their insides adorning your docking ring as a cheap alternative to bunting to welcome my heroic crew*.

Thankyou!**

Lt.Gen L'la.

* Please note, on translation this section was vastly toned down from the original message. Two translators are still in counselling after having read the message as it was originally written.

** I chose to interpret the torrent of invective that closed this message as "Thankyou!" out of sensitivity for the (possibly soon to be deceased) crew of DS9.
Post edited by jaimeson99 on

Comments

• danielpenfolddanielpenfold Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    jaimeson99 wrote: »
    (Please note, this message has been translated from Klingon by an SF interpreter and has had all threats, promises of reigning vengeance down and discussions of paternity removed or modified for a human audience).

Msg from: Lieutenant General L'la - Fleet coordinator Q'onos, Honour Guard 1st Class.

Hi there Starfleet officers in charge of giving permission to dock at DS9.

As a Klingon, when I first visited DS9 as a junior officer I was rightly asked "not to cause any trouble" and was given rather short shrift by your traffic control personel. Rude would not be an unfair assessment of your customer service skills. Normally this would have lead to your ritual dis-embowlment, but the interests of The Empire precluded this.

At a later point in my career I was not only instrumental in repelling a Dominion invasion of the Alpha Quadrant but also in saving the lives of every individual on DS9 at no small risk to myself, my ship and my crew.

The next time I visited DS9 I at least expected some level of courtesy from your staff. Maybe a small "thankyou for saving my family's lives". Perhaps some sort of recognition of the fact you would be currently floating in deep space like a rather messy explosively decompressed human popsicle if not for the actions of myself and my heroic crew.

On arrival at DS9 what was the welcome I recieved? "If you must dock, dont cause any trouble you Klingon scum".

I must recommend that the station commander remedies this before my next visit or the Starfleet personel who were saved by me quite recently will find their insides adorning your docking ring as a cheap alternative to bunting to welcome my heroic crew*.

Thankyou!**

Lt.Gen L'la.

* Please note, on translation this section was vastly toned down from the original message. Two translators are still in counselling after having read the message as it was originally written.

** I chose to interpret the torrent of invective that closed this message as "Thankyou!" out of sensitivity for the (possibly soon to be deceased) crew of DS9.

That's cool :D
    I'm so happy :D
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I agree. The Traffic Control Officer isn't very friendly to visiting dignitaries of the Empire.
  • malkarrismalkarris Member Posts: 797 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Here here.

Also, why do they always assume I have not been invited by Admirla D'Vak. Of course I have been invited by Admiral D'Vak, why else would I be hailing your puny station for docking clearance instead of ordering my fighters to straf it?
    Joined September 2011
    Nouveau riche LTS member
  • naeviusnaevius Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Proper etiquette is write your reply on a torpedo and send it to them via express tube.
    Joined October 2009. READ BEFORE POSTING
  • altechachanaltechachan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    naevius wrote: »
    Proper etiquette is write your reply on a torpedo and send it to them via express tube.

As clearly shown by Dr. McCoy and Mr. Spock in the final battle of Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country? :D
    Member since November 2009... I think.
    (UFP) Ragnar
  • equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,301 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    This is infact the correct way to speak to Klingons. To show any fear (or even politeness) would result in them attempting to take over the station.

...I am suspicious of your true origins as Klingon, if your crew heard of these 'human-like' complaints, they would no doubt assassinate you at the first opportunity!
  • jestersagejestersage Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Nah, you already know how to send a message - you did that in the beginning of your career when you sent your message on your BoP in a torpedo. Did working with the Feds made to senile, warrior?
  • skyranger1414skyranger1414 Member Posts: 1,785 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    TH KDF should use a freighter hidden in a nebula cloud or something instead of having access to DS9 at all.
  • heimdallw32heimdallw32 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    You'd think the Empire wouldn't care if someone 'greeted them harshly'. I mean isn't that the only way Klingons know how to greet one another? Being all "Why are you so rude to me" seems more like Starfleet's gig.
  • turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    If I remember my Klingon culture right, snapping "What do you want?" is a more-than-acceptable reply to a greeting. Therefore, while I do agree that the assumption about visiting D'Vak is annoying, the implied threat of "Don't cause any trouble" is about right.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    equinox976 wrote: »
    This is infact the correct way to speak to Klingons. To show any fear (or even politeness) would result in them attempting to take over the station.
    You'd think the Empire wouldn't care if someone 'greeted them harshly'. I mean isn't that the only way Klingons know how to greet one another? Being all "Why are you so rude to me" seems more like Starfleet's gig.
    If I remember my Klingon culture right, snapping "What do you want?" is a more-than-acceptable reply to a greeting. Therefore, while I do agree that the assumption about visiting D'Vak is annoying, the implied threat of "Don't cause any trouble" is about right.

You all misunderstand Klingon culture, to tell them "don't start trouble" is implying they would conduct dishonorable acts, which is insulting. Especially since your Klingon character is there as an ambassador / diplomat and representative of the Klingon Empire.

So yes, you can talk tough to them, just don't go insulting their honor.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    You all misunderstand Klingon culture, to tell them "don't start trouble" is implying they would conduct dishonorable acts, which is insulting. Especially since your Klingon character is there as an ambassador / diplomat and representative of the Klingon Empire.

So yes, you can talk tough to them, just don't go insulting their honor.

I was thinking that as well. This game and in consequence many players treat Klingons like clich? mongolian norsemen from italian 80s barbarian movies or some kind of space orcs.

That aside, the OP is a hilarious good read :D:)
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • fmgtorres1979fmgtorres1979 Member Posts: 1,327 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Oh come on...a true warrior laughs at the feeble remarks and welcomes a speech that does not bow down or hides in kind words.

Qapla'
  • smoovioussmoovious Member Posts: 264 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I think an appropriate reply to the klingon's message (translated of course) would be "Suck it up, princess..."

-- Smoov