test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Does anyone do ground STF's anymore?

13»

Comments

• johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've always excelled as a medic/healer on Ground STFs. That said, if i'm STFing I start by doing space ones first and then move onto ground ones if I still have a cooldown.

That said, Eng is probably my new favorite, as long as I take quantum mortar and chroniton mine kits with me. Looking forward to the kit revamp, so I have mines, turrets and mortars on the same kit.

Ground rewards are fine. What needs to happen is PuGs need to learn the missions so they know what to do. Hence less missions will end in failure or take too long.

I've said it once, i'll say it again; PVE Bootcamp.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • damix4damix4 Member Posts: 609 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Mine Trap is my favorite ground stf. Sci and Eng are crucial here as you have to heal and defend the colonists.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    tc10b wrote: »
    Simple solution is kill the medics first, then the tacs, then the engineers. Only the medics can revive.

And they nerfed the Cold damaging weapons at least in PvP anyway.

problem with this is, you get a situation where the enemy could have multiple combat medics and other medics, by the time you take one out, the sniper shots and such will disable you to a point that the other combat medics will rev their fallen.. this is why its always a bad idea adding more then 2 medics to any given mob.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • eisenw0lfeisenw0lf Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    tc10b wrote: »
    Simple solution is kill the medics first, then the tacs, then the engineers. Only the medics can revive.

And they nerfed the Cold damaging weapons at least in PvP anyway.

Not so simple when 1-3 sniper shots (depending if they crit) kill your toon in a second. Their medics never walk alone :(

EDIT:
    Yeah ... and sometimes there are multiple medics who crossheal each other when the players target them.
  • tc10btc10b Member Posts: 1,549 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I really don't want to say it, but I would be interested in knowing what skill points you have (or have not) invested in on ground. The majority of people I know that have problems on ground haven't invested properly in their skill tree in order to make ground viable.

I do colony invasion on my KDF tactical officer regularly and I don't have this problem.
  • thestargazethestargaze Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I would say science.. that tachyon harmonics are killer. Try playing with a full team of science.. KAGE goes like nothing. In fact I would love to play that mission with only science and try it out. Heard its really easy then.

I deleted my old characters so I have to redo every rep system again.
  • tc10btc10b Member Posts: 1,549 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is one of the things I'm hating about LoR...
  • thestargazethestargaze Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    azniadeet wrote: »
    Ground STFs are my favorite missions to run in STO. I wish they'd add more of them.

Me too... I love KAGE.

Have hard time finding people for ground..
  • captaingalaxy1captaingalaxy1 Member Posts: 202 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    How about the PVP map Ghost Ship which I believe is basically a few sections of a Cardassian Vessel maybe a Galor or Keldon with a few locked doors to make a fun pvp map. Great for fans of Cardassians like me!

Assimilated Cruiser is also fun if you like to sit in the chair on the bridge and wait for your enemies to attack or hide in a cargo area and use your sniper to kill them. Assuming they don't kill you first.

I tried to do a ground pvp last night (GMT) but the game never started the games for the most part, and there were enough players as well. Another problem cryptic must add to their bug list.
    "Omega Class will prevail she cannot be defeated!"
  • equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,301 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Me too... I love KAGE.

Have hard time finding people for ground..

I went to sft, it rained, and hard.
    The turrets killed me, re pawned at the start.

A tactical drone, made me his biach,
    One more node, down in a hitch,

But would hear nothing of fun, or play,
    The optional is gone, alone, I stay.
  • kingdoxykingdoxy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I know I don't.

The rewards are terrible and I don't feel like fighting a zerg fest of borg drones.

Also dying is way worse in a Ground STF, if you die in certain parts you've pretty much helped your team fail the mission. And optionals are also way harder to get then the space STFs.

Doing pew pew, remodulate.....pew pew,remodulate isn't even remotely fun. The deferi ground invasion missions are actually more fun the the ground STFs.
  • latinumbarlatinumbar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sdkraust wrote: »
    I could spend 5 minutes on a ISE/CSE and 10 at most on a KASE or I could spend 30 minutes on an IGE, fail the optional and cry as I have to kill Rebecca Simmons by myself. For the same exact Rewards.

Not true. The rewards are not the same. You get more omega marks for ground. Like I said before, I've gotten 150 omega marks before for a 15 minute KAGE run.
    kingdoxy wrote: »
    The rewards are terrible and I don't feel like fighting a zerg fest of borg drones.

Zerg fest? hardly. You should go play one of the Neverwinter dungeons. Then come back and say that ground STFs are zerg fests, lol.
    edited May 2013
    I won't do ground anymore for the shoulder-cam fiasco alone. As long as I'm forced into that view, I'm not even going to bother with ground action. It is just not enjoyable anymore.

-- Smoov
  • tsurutafan01tsurutafan01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't really understand the original question. Nobody did them to begin with.

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
  • azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm gonna go ahead and say it:

I don't understand what people find so fun about Space STFs.
  • jstewart55jstewart55 Member Posts: 412 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's not that they're fun - I've never had a good time doing one - it's just that they're more accomplishable (that's not even a word) than the ground STFs.
  • azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Really?

Does everyone really think the ground STFs are that difficult? I think ground is way easier, and more fun, than space. Space is a pain in the neck to me.

I wish they would add ultra-elite ground STFs for an even greater challenge.
  • jstewart55jstewart55 Member Posts: 412 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm not in a position to know, but given the tendency of most people to not really listen in space, I can only imagine the problem being magnified on the ground.
  • artanisenartanisen Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    azniadeet wrote: »
    I'm gonna go ahead and say it:

I don't understand what people find so fun about Space STFs.

thats because space is fast and easy compared to ground.
    for me i havent done a ground elite stf in a fraking long time,
    1. the people you team up with are ((censored))...
    2. it usually takes way to long to finish.

and as someone said the rewards dont compare with the effort it takes
    to finish a elite ground stf.

but thats just me.
  • jmanwinjmanwin Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I only play Ground STFs when I want to have fun.
    Especially with PUGS, because then every mission is different and the high probability of failure adds suspense. That's really the only way to get any mission variety once you've beaten everything.

They are, however, terrible mission choices to play in a grinding-oriented universe. Nobody is going to spend 30 minutes playing a mission that's probably going fail (in a non-khitomer pug) and get no reward, or generate a less efficient reward for their time even if they succeed. Unless they've already grinded for all the stuff they want.

Nevertheless, a couple suggestions:
    1. Take out the time limits from the Normal difficulty missions. You ought to be able to learn the mission while playing it, and not have to Google a damn strategy guide and memorize the hidden triggers before you ever dare click the queue button. The timers discourage everyone from reading in-game pop-ups, checking maps and especially talking strategy in chat. This has no place in a Normal difficulty pug. Also, lengthen the assimilation times in Normal difficulty Infected Ground, and don't auto-fail the others if the first one fails. Most of the time new players have no idea why that optional fails because they never even saw the officer being assimilated. Give them a chance to figure out what's going on. Again, only talking Normal difficulty. Elite should remain as is.

2. Add some early career team-based ground missions that train players to take cover. This is the biggest mental shift players seem to need to make going into ground STFs, and unless they did pvp, nothing they did before taught them this. Events like Breaking the Planet and the Big Dig don't really offer useful cover, and Starbase Incursion is once again about chasing timers. And the story missions are basically handled by planting your feet in the middle of the room and entering Aim mode.

People who don't like re-modulating don't seem to appreciate that those are great times to concentrate solely on strategic positioning. You can either duck behind something and let your shield recharge, or sprint to a flanking position. Without that game mechanic, it'd be the same old "if you're not shooting, you're not helping" strategy. I wish the instant re-mod sets didn't exist for that reason, plus they limit equipment variety and strategy. I try to come up with equipment combinations that justify using my handbuilt fractal remodulator, but the beeping noise basically tells everyone on the team that I'm holding them back.
  • jandraelunejandraelune Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The most played ground STF is KAG...free Borg Boff with the Accolade.
    Least played ground STF is CG...or was before HOG was released. The boss fight with both is just pure evil.

Pug's WILL mostly complete the mission, if that's all you care about. Most people would spam the normal's until they got maxed out good XI gear before doing elites for XII gear. But now with the mark system, most people opt for ISE spam for the easy large stack of marks....then only do the rest for accolade's. ISE is so damn easy, one sci with Grav Well and the rest DPS, done in a few mins, don't even need a tank.

There WAS far better teams before they changed the system and more people willing to run what ever with who ever. Want someone to blame for bad runs...blame Cryptic for changing the system.
  • hcgxkaliberhcgxkaliber Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Well, ground PVEs usually take more time than space missions.
    Plus if someone is a noob or just dumb, it will take a lot longer and possible fail the mission.

Anyway, I'm waiting my rommie to hit tier 3 in Omega force for the Slowdown Borg Adaption skill and the tier XI gears.

After that I think I will play a few matches per day to just have some fun instead farming on Infected and Khitomer space missions 24/7...