test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Lifetime Sub - Worth It?

theblurchtheblurch Member Posts: 0 Arc User
Do you guys think the lifetime sub would be worth it at this point? I played STO at the beginning and didn't care for it, but I've found it so much more improved that I actually subbed.

What do you guys think?
"I've come up with another wacky invention that I think has real potential. Maybe you won't, but anyway...It's called the 'Gourmet Yogurt Machine.' It makes many different flavors of yogurt. The only problem is, right now, it can only make trout-flavored yogurt..." -Apple Kid
Post edited by theblurch on

Comments

• pweistheworstpweistheworst Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    theblurch wrote: »
    Do you guys think the lifetime sub would be worth it at this point? I played STO at the beginning and didn't care for it, but I've found it so much more improved that I actually subbed.

What do you guys think?

Before LOR launched I would have said "maybe" due to all the technical bugs that continue to exist in game and the occasional server issues. After the servers blew up on LOR launch day and the day after I'm even less inclined to tell people to become lifers.

It's ultimately your decision. STO is a great game despite all the issues and it's the only real place to get your Trek role play fix online.

For me, I spend enough on C-store items every month that Cryptic makes MORE money from me that way than they would from just a lifetime subscription. And, if I ever get really annoyed with STO I can just stop playing for a while and don't have to worry about paying for a game that I'm not currently playing.
    In the immortal words of Captain Sisko: "It may not be what you believe, but that doesn't make it wrong."

Don't believe the lies in this forum. I am NOT an ARC user. I play STO on Steam or not at all.
  • vincirevincire Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'd say it's worth it. I bought my LTS on the first day they released the packages and I'd say that with the 400 Zen stipend that it's already paid for itself. Additionally, you gain access to lots of veteren goodies :)
  • krovankrovan Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's been three years since I bought mine, and I am glad I did. It's a hard thing to regret the longer you go from the day of purchase. If I could go back in time I'd tell my past self to not stress out about it and just buy it.
    http://soundcloud.com/krovan-1
  • smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It is something only you can decide. People value virtual items and time spent here very differently from each other. For me, no it is not worth it. But it could be for you.
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I concur with the others. Ultimately it's up to you wether virtual goodies which will vnaish in thin air once the game goes down are worth your money.

Personally I'd say if you had a LTS way back when the game first launched you got plenty out of it. Buying a LTS now seems foolish to me personally since you can grab the gold sub benefits with one single month subscription and be done with it. Plus I would never spend more than 15 EUR on virtual goods, ever. This includes full version games (digital copies) which I only buy during steam sales for 5-10 EUR due to the risks involved.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • donutsmasherdonutsmasher Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I went LTS on the day Legacy of Romulus released. Sure, launch day was a complete fiasco but so what? At least their expansion didn't delete the boot.ini file from my Windows OS and kill my HDD. Sure, the launch could have gone a lot better, not having massive queues etc would have been nice but at the end of the day I love Trek and I really have grown quite fond of this game.

My advice would be to get your LTS now, ignore the hypocrites who seem to like complaining about Cryptic whilst continuing to play and post on Cryptics own forums, and enjoy the benefits that being a Lifetimer brings. As long as you are happy, and can't see yourself leaving STO for any reason other than Cryptic shutting it down, then an LTS is well worth the money.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sig by my better half.
  • sarovensaroven Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I definitely think it is worth it. You get monthly ZEN, veteran rewards and you don't feel any pressure that you "have to play" in order to justify a monthly sub. And after seeing the literally tens of thousands of people playing this game with the expansion and the queue it brought with it? Yeah...glad I am a lifer.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    Ooh, the ships!! The Chimera and the Peghqu are both really cool and have transformy bits!! Oh and the Captains Table is pretty cool too. In case you don't know, that's what that big cloud thing is outside ESD and in space above Qo'Nos. A whole little pocket dimension with a big space station floating in it xD How awesome is that?

Plus there are the bank slots, the account bank, the extra inventory slots, character slots, ship slots... ALL THE SLOTS!!! Seriously, being LTS is pretty darn cool. You can tell I'm enjoying it right? Oh!! And the 500 Zen every month is also rather handy, as is the preferential login. Honestly, there are so many reasons why being LTS is a good idea, heck I squee'd like a girl when I started getting all the pop-ups upon first logging back in.

"Veteran Award blah blah"
    "Veteran Award Blah de Blah"
    "Here, have a sexy new ship"
    "Here, have more sexy ships"
    "Oooh, here, have ALLLL the storage slots!!"

Hmm, I got carried away there, but you get my point. LTS is cool.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sig by my better half.
  • theblurchtheblurch Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm thinking I want to. I know they'll get things sorted out after the LOR launch and I'm having such a good time with it, I'd rather do lifetime, which would be the same as a 13 month subscription.
    "I've come up with another wacky invention that I think has real potential. Maybe you won't, but anyway...It's called the 'Gourmet Yogurt Machine.' It makes many different flavors of yogurt. The only problem is, right now, it can only make trout-flavored yogurt..." -Apple Kid
  • cleve1970cleve1970 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Choice is ultimately yours, if you have the money and do not need that money for nothing else then go for it.
    Only thing worse than ignorance is the illusion of knowledge.

Admiral Jorak
    Romulan Intelligence
    edited May 2013
    I'm thinking I want to. I know they'll get things sorted out after the LOR launch and I'm having such a good time with it, I'd rather do lifetime, which would be the same as a 13 month subscription.

Do it!! You get ALLLLL THE THINGS!! :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sig by my better half.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    cleve1970 wrote: »
    Choice is ultimately yours, if you have the money and do not need that money for nothing else then go for it.

I think if he had to wager between buying food/pay for heat OR buying a LTS he wouldn't ask :D
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited May 2013

What do you guys think?
    If you have $200.00 worth of disposable cash - meaning you don't need it for food or other life necessities (your job is secure and you don't need to worry about saving for your children's college funds, etc) - then the perks are well worth the $200.00, IMO.

But you need to keep STO in perspective. While the game has a lot of Faction content now, you level fast and you're going to be at level 50 in a relatively short time with all 3 Factions. And then you're going to find yourself doing the same small selection of things over and over and over and over. So if you're not the type of person who can deal with grinding, and you know won't like to play all 3 Factions to try all the content, then you really need to think about whether the money will be well spent.

I have no regrets about buying my LTS pre-launch. I've more then gotten my money's worth out of it. But I also have no problem stepping away from STO for a few months and play something else when the grind gets too boring - as I know the LTS will always be there when I'm ready to go back.

So if you think by spending $200.00 you should be privileged or never bored with the game and see yourself ranting constantly about such things in a few months because you spent the money, THEN DON'T SPEND THE MONEY!. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • mntlrptrsmntlrptrs Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've only been playing STO for less than a year, but from what I've seen that's been added to the game in that short timespan (fleet bases, the reputation system, ships etc.) I decided to at least try a month subscription after a few months. Despite the glitches & bugs I think it's worth the money. The permanent bank slot expansion alone is more than worth it, which I wasn't even aware of at the time.

The way I perceive it this game is still developing and expanding, chucking in some money would ultimately contribute to this.

I'll be going LTS when I manage to gather the proper funds for it next month, because I feel this is a game worth supporting after all. Even if PW would pull the plug on STO after a year (which I sure as hell hope NOT!), I wouldn't really have lost anything financially and gained a lot of gaming pleasure with the benefits the LTS provides. Seeing what's been done on the LoR expansion consolidated my intentions, again despite the bugs & glitches.

Mind that I P2P'd another MMO before, where I felt ripped off because down the road the only way to get some (quite ridiculous) extras & benefits there was paying even more money on top of the subscription. I ultimately gave them the finger after a few weeks and started playing STO. No regrets so far!
  • streakfury#2432 streakfury Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Talking of lifetime subscriptions, do us lifers get any special goodies from the LoR expansion? You know, because we're loved...

:D:D
    Intel i5 2500k @ 4.4GHz / 16Gb DDR3 RAM @ 1600MHz / GeForce GTX1060 6Gb / Corsair Glaive / Corsair K70 RGB Rapidfire
  • dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    We can play a Lib Borg Romulan, and eventually we may get a 1000 day vet ship.

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
  • smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    str34kfury wrote: »
    Talking of lifetime subscriptions, do us lifers get any special goodies from the LoR expansion? You know, because we're loved...

You get to skip the 3 hour queue to actually play the expansion, if that counts. :rolleyes:
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • streakfury#2432 streakfury Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    We can play a Lib Borg Romulan, and eventually we may get a 1000 day vet ship.

Ah yes, as per this Dev Blog - http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=877151
    Intel i5 2500k @ 4.4GHz / 16Gb DDR3 RAM @ 1600MHz / GeForce GTX1060 6Gb / Corsair Glaive / Corsair K70 RGB Rapidfire
  • jojobejojobe Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The thought of the game going bye bye is a reason ive held off. And the longer i wait the more i worry about the value and possible cancellation. they do not refund money and can cancel at anytime. so yah im scared of them.
    edited May 2013
    jojobe wrote: »
    The thought of the game going bye bye is a reason ive held off. And the longer i wait the more i worry about the value and possible cancellation. they do not refund money and can cancel at anytime. so yah im scared of them.
    I've been listening to people tell me this game is doomed since day 1 of launch. We're now nearly 3.5 years in. :)

But if you're not comfortable with spending the money then don't worry about it. There are many people who can find much better uses for $200.00 and no one ever needs to do anything they don't feel comfortable doing.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • daqheghdaqhegh Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have to say LTS, at this point, isn't worth the money it costs. Personally, if I didn't have the LTS already I would go silver. Originally this game had potential. Now it seems to be going backwards in some respects. I'm a BETA-preorder-launch-era lifer. I've seen this game at its best (first time I did the Arena) and its worst (12-month drought) to date. Right now it's just a bunch of meh. Rommies. yeah. 3 years late. And killed by the endless grind of reputation and repetition. I'm not exited, but I am curious. I'd say avoid the lifer. These days it's a waste.
    My Old Blog about things that could and should have been added when I wrote it. Not sure what I want to do with it now. I'll just keep it available now that most of it is outdated.
  • crusty8maccrusty8mac Member Posts: 1,381 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Prior to this release I would have said no. However, I'm seeing a company that can produce, has financial backing from its parent, and in my mind will be here for years to come.

If you see the same thing, then the only real question is will you be a regular subscriber long enough to get your money back from the LTS. If you answer yes to that, then the answer is an unqualified yes, because of the extra perks.
  • drzzdendrzzden Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've enjoyed my LTS. I went away for maybe 3 months and would pop back in here and there and never needed to "oh TRIBBLE where's my Check Card". Now my question.. i'm past 1.2k days as a subscriber, does that mean when the Romulan Vet Ship is available I still get the token for it?
  • aarons9aarons9 Member Posts: 961
    edited May 2013
    if i had the money i would.. but i am poor :(
    [12:35] Vessel Two of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 225232 (271723) Plasma Damage to you with Plasma Lance.
    [12:44] Vessel One of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 1019527 (1157678) Kinetic Damage to you with Plasma Energy Bolt Explosion.
  • wnxkrowwnxkrow Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's totally worth it, you even get Veteran items unlocked.
  • stofskstofsk Member Posts: 1,744 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This question is going to get mixed reactions so be prepared. Personally I got my LTS when the game launched and it's more than paid for itself, but that was back when you HAD to pay a sub to play.

Going f2p has changed things. Now the haters are going to give misleading information in order to justify their point of view. For example a popular argument is to say that it will take 60 months for the stipend to pay off the price of the LTS.

Now why is that misleading? Well they conveniently overlook the fact that in order to get the stipend subscribers have to pay $15 bucks each month.
    Well yeah. But you could just get $200 worth of zen straight away instead of paying for a monthly stipend that gives you that $200 over two and a half years. (200/5 = 40 months) EDIT Hah I can't count my months, this would be over three years. :)

In fact, you'd get way more zen if you paid that $200 directly for zen instead, because you get a bonus for buying that much. And the utility of having over 20,000 zen in your account right now far outweighs the utility of getting 500 zen every month, which doesn't buy you much. If you're leveling a fresh character it's good to be subscribed, due to the free respec tokens and extra bank slots. But it doesn't - or it shouldn't - take more than a month to get one fresh character from level 1 to max.

The real question is are the other veteran rewards worth the upfront price you have to pay for it. If yes, then great, it's worth it. If no, then it's not worth it. This is what it really boils down to. Everytime I'm tempted by an LTS sale I look at what the vet rewards actually are, and I go 'eh, it's not worth $200.' Others may disagree, and that's cool. More power to them.
  • darkness01101darkness01101 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I paid for the lifetime before the game was released, was on special back then and I've found it worth.. from now though, I wouldn't know.
  • v1ctor2kv1ctor2k Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I guess it depends on how much enjoyment you get out of the PvE

There are literally an unlimited amount of PvE missions thanks to the Foundry. Unfortunately though it seems like Cryptic have completely abandoned PvP.
    edited May 2013
    v1ctor2k wrote: »
    I guess it depends on how much enjoyment you get out of the PvE

There are literally an unlimited amount of PvE missions thanks to the Foundry. Unfortunately though it seems like Cryptic have completely abandoned PvP.
    The next season is supposed to be about changing PvP and setting the foundation for eventually adding some Territory Control.
  • eugenesyseugenesys Member Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm considering the LTS but can't find the answer to this Q
    a.
    Are the veteran rewards just once time only, or do they unlock for each character?