test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Daily 100 meg patches

tsurutafan01tsurutafan01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
So, explain to me why every time we do a maintenance, which is now a daily occurance I need another 100 Meg patch.

Explain to me what the content of that patch is. "Server stability" isn't an explanation, it's a catchphrase. Explain the content of the patch.

Explain to me why we now need these daily.

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
Post edited by tsurutafan01 on

Comments

• vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So, explain to me why every time we do a maintenance, which is now a daily occurance I need another 100 Meg patch.

Explain to me what the content of that patch is. "Server stability" isn't an explanation, it's a catchphrase. Explain the content of the patch.

Agreed, It's considered good etiquette to inform me what you're putting on my computer.

Download another 100 + meg patch without telling me what exactly it is, and I'm gonna fly across the country to put lawn flamingos and gnomes all over Cryptic studio's grounds. :D
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• sussexgentsussexgent Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I am wondering the same thing.

Given the extremely short notice that the server was coming down for emergency maintenance, I can only assume that it was done to prevent an imminent failure. If that is true, then why after coming back up is there a 135MB patch to apply and no patch notes?
  • trc615trc615 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I, too, am also wondering what is in these patches.

Explain to me: Why are there no patch notes?
  • redsnake721redsnake721 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    For some reason everytime I log in I have a patch.
  • lostmoonylostmoony Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    thx cryptic for patch today!!!!!!

now tak Team+hazzard Emitters + some other skills works right and stfs become playable.:D

most traits also fixed today also great job.

the only very importend fix is the skill, fighting down, it was not fixed check it pls.;)
  • x0ligyx0ligy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Patches could be server code being added/removed or other information being changed/modified. Im in no way defending them as i think its wrong the amount they expect people to always download for "there" errors, but unless they disclosed what was in the patch then there is no way to tell.

Tbh im fed up with all the downtime and downloading seems to me they dont have a clue what they are doing.
  • keysmachinekeysmachine Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    occupy cryptic and down with their fixes and bug squashing. give us our broken game and leave us be!

am i doing it right OP?
  • tsurutafan01tsurutafan01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    occupy cryptic and down with their fixes and bug squashing. give us our broken game and leave us be!

am i doing it right OP?

Don't be a moron.

I'm asking a legitimate question about why a simple server stability patch is so large, and is needed repeatedly.

They seem overly large for simple correcting of errors/fixing in server code. I'm just curious why we're getting hit with one daily lately, what their content is, and why the file seems relatively large to the task.

A lot of people in that pesky "rest of the world" don't have infinite bandwidth, and it seems a perfectly reasonable inquiry. If we're going to have one of these a day for the first week, it's going to add up for some people. And if so, just let the designers say so, let those people take 4 or 5 days off, and then they can come back uninterrupted for the next 6 months.

Trying to turn this into a troll thread is weak sauce, even for this place.

• mirrorterranmirrorterran Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    10 years ago most entire games didnt occupy 135mb...so it is a reasonable request why if they are changing a few lines of code such a large amount of data is required.

I mean we are talking about 135 million characters
  • drake122svkdrake122svk Member Posts: 731 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So I presume todays patch is to fix the "stuck on loading screens" bug, yes?

Even if so, some patch notes would be nice...
  • bantoinebantoine Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    rob2485 wrote: »
    It's simple. We tested closed beta two weeks ago, we tested open Beta last weekend. All of the bugs we reported are getting fixed or they are fixing errors in their code that they didnt see before the LOR went live.

I am not a programmer but personally I Think they need a better QA team before letting such a big update go live.

Make a testing server that has totally separate hardware from the live server.

Then let us test on that for longer than a week I would say at least a month. The other game I play they did that before the last patch went live. Closed beta test for over a month and then the system went live. For the most part it has few bugs.

I AM a programmer and 135mb patch every single day doesn't tell me things are being fixed, it tells me the launcher is losing the data from the previous patch. If things were getting fixed, the patch would be of various sizes but it isn't. It is 135mb every single day.
  • terson777terson777 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    bantoine wrote: »
    I AM a programmer and 135mb patch every single day doesn't tell me things are being fixed, it tells me the launcher is losing the data from the previous patch. If things were getting fixed, the patch would be of various sizes but it isn't. It is 135mb every single day.

It looks to me that it isn't a 135mb patch downloaded everyday, because the patching process is much faster then my download speed, it looks like its changing the code of some files in the sto folder, and im only dowloading the changes, and im guessing they are tweaking the same files each time for stability so it looks like its a 135 mb patch, even though it seems that it means that its patching the same files over and over each day. That would make sense if they were trying to fix some bugs and aren't quite getting them each time.
  • tpolebreakertpolebreaker Member Posts: 266 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You dont push a patch live if you are *trying* to fix a bug. You push it when it's fixed, at least in any reasonable QA process.

Patch notes sure would be nice... along with a list of them on the launcher or at least a link to them. Seems like the only game I play that doesnt do that.
    What's even better... during that last "unexpected" server crash a few weeks ago, the 2 days following both had "unexpected emergency maintenance" done with no noticed. They said something convoluted like how those "fixes" were going to solve some hardware and network problems so there wouldn't be any unexpected major problems with the servers' hardware and network during LOR's launch. I don't remember it word for word but it's kind of messed up how there's been something like 2 major server crash's and at least 12+ unexpected "emergency maintenance" (all with about a 60 minute notice) in the last 3 weeks. I understand needing patches to fix the under tested, broken game but there's been bugs & broken stuff in game broken for years now and it be nice to get those fixed when you get around to it. These daily patches are crazy but the fact that there's no real notice given or any explanation about what was fixed, is TRIBBLE. Are these fixes seriously worth doing every day without any notice or is it becoming the only way they can do it because they don?t want to hear the complaints. I guess it's kind of like "It's better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission".

With all these daily fixes, you'd think they fix the email so we delete an email. IT's been broke since Tuesday's launch.
    edited May 2013
    ... And another one incoming tomorrow.

I know enough about computers to say with confidence I've never heard of server maintenance on any kind of server in my life that works this way.

edited May 2013
    terson777 wrote: »
    It looks to me that it isn't a 135mb patch downloaded everyday, because the patching process is much faster then my download speed, it looks like its changing the code of some files in the sto folder, and im only dowloading the changes, and im guessing they are tweaking the same files each time for stability so it looks like its a 135 mb patch, even though it seems that it means that its patching the same files over and over each day. That would make sense if they were trying to fix some bugs and aren't quite getting them each time.

You're sort of right.

I track my downloaded usage exactly, and the true download amount has been roughly 70-100, depending on the day. Certain files are simply skipped over, which means they aren't being altered.

It still seems excessive, and it's now a daily thing apparently.

• darkness01101darkness01101 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I dont care if they put out a 135meg patch every day, what I do care about is the fact that this 135meg patch is taking me HOURS to download.

Every day so far I go to log in the game, and wait up to 3 or 4 hours to download and install a tiny patch... Its a joke.

I can download everywhere else at 2Meg/s easy, not these patches it seems.
  • crusty8maccrusty8mac Member Posts: 1,381 Arc User
    edited May 2013

They've begun a systematic program of invading and taking over your computer in an effort to steal all of your information, your money, your wife and kids, and to ultimately control your thoughts and actions.

Either that, or they are actively fixing the problems that have been identified sooner rather than later.

Take your pick.
  • crusty8maccrusty8mac Member Posts: 1,381 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I dont care if they put out a 135meg patch every day, what I do care about is the fact that this 135meg patch is taking me HOURS to download.

Every day so far I go to log in the game, and wait up to 3 or 4 hours to download and install a tiny patch... Its a joke.

I can download everywhere else at 2Meg/s easy, not these patches it seems.

Consider switching your ISP. It only takes me minutes to download 135megs.
  • berniestompaberniestompa Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Come on OP think about it reasonably.

The patch is 135mb. This is never the actual amount downloaded.

Lets say that 135mb is the dedicated section of the STO install that governs the game instructing your computer on how to talk to the server. This includes everything from moving to firing a torpedo.

Then look at the amount you downloaded. That small fraction is what they have fixed. Now when we look at code, as any actual programmer will tell you, lines of code interact with each other. One can fix one thing and break another. It is a long drawn out process of find and repair.

Now the notes. 99.9% of people playing this game are not programmers, though they do think they are totally capable of doing a programmer/dev/artist/etc job, and would not understand most of what is going on if Cryptic gave full in-depth patch notes.

The Devs have done a great job with this expansion and, like ALL mmo expansions, they have found a few bugs and are working tirelessly to fix them.

Just please think before actually posting such vitriol about something you think you are entitled to, when in actual fact, if they gave you that level of depth in patch notes, you would probably not even read them.

TL;DR

Stop ya whining, you do not need to know what the **** they are changing in lines of code, take the downtime to go outside and get some fresh air. Have a decent meal, meet with friends and family, watch a sporting event. Perhaps ou will have a happy surprise patch waiting for ya when you gets back :P

Regards.
  • villagee1dervillagee1der Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    From a programmer's perspective...

Code is split into chunks of related functionality. Usually if you fix one minor thing in a given chunk of code you must rebuild that entire chunk. I suspect that is the case here. They are fixing bugs in a number of chunks of code and have to rebuild and redeploy each of the chunks they worked on even though each individual change was small.
  • mn03mn03 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Again a large patch (132MB). I'm glad my internet has a FUP (Fair use policy) and no bandwidth cap, but this is crazy.

Edit: TRIBBLE, avast! detects crypticError.exe as malware. Crappy false positive.
  • ussdelphin2ussdelphin2 Member Posts: 525 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So, explain to me why every time we do a maintenance, which is now a daily occurrence I need another 100 Meg patch.

To be honest, with the way you are demanding answers, if I was Cryptic I would not explain anything to you.

Its true it would be nice to get a patch note every time they make changes but if they choose not to then that's up to them... you don't have to download the patch, just stop playing until Cryptic give in to your demands... Almighty tsurutafan01! *Continually bows while walking backwards out of the the room.*
    How I picture a lot of the forumites :P
  • benoliverwillockbenoliverwillock Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'd just live to point out that you're all reading the numbers wrong.
    Its not downloading 100 megs, its patching 100 megs worth of files.
    Its actually downloading closer to 15-20 megs.

Anyway even if it was 100 megs that's not a massive amount.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tc10btc10b Member Posts: 1,549 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    rob2485 wrote: »
    It's simple. We tested closed beta two weeks ago, we tested open Beta last weekend. All of the bugs we reported are getting fixed or they are fixing errors in their code that they didnt see before the LOR went live.

I am not a programmer but personally I Think they need a better QA team before letting such a big update go live.

Make a testing server that has totally separate hardware from the live server.

Then let us test on that for longer than a week I would say at least a month. The other game I play they did that before the last patch went live. Closed beta test for over a month and then the system went live. For the most part it has few bugs.

One of the inherent problems when you randomise your test group and then the majority of them just gush with praise instead of finding errors to be fixed, when there were and still are many left to be fixed.
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    crusty8mac wrote: »
    Consider switching your ISP. It only takes me minutes to download 135megs.
    My ISP is fine, and I dl 100mb in a matter of seconds.

However, for some reason, when it comes to Shaddercache.ogg from STO, it takes me about 30m.
    It started on tribble when they first added LoR, and continue so far. 30minute patching everyday is tiresome.

Especially considering sometimes the patching process restart in the end, just like for this patch. Which mean at least 1h patching.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ...But the login screen looks so much better after todays hour-long patch download. Lag seems to be less but the 'server not responding' messages are back between map changes.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • trogolytetrogolyte Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's annoying to have daily 100+ meg patches COUPLED with an extremely SLOW patch server. No it's not my internet connection, it's going at normal speed for everything else, it's just these daily post LoR patches that are glacial. Looks like I received 90 megs or so of data patching 135 megs of files today.
  • archerfanaticarcherfanatic Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    daily patches yet i still can't delete mail on any toon or play cross faction stfs on my romulan....

wtf are the patches actually accomplishing?
  • wolfpacknzwolfpacknz Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    daily patches yet i still can't delete mail on any toon or play cross faction stfs on my romulan....

wtf are the patches actually accomplishing?

Daily patches yet the last patch notes are the 24th. That just says to me nothing is actually being patched..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ***Disenchanted***
    Real Join Date: Monday, 17 May 2010