Install Arc
Options

Ship Selection...poor choices til tier 5

2»

Comments

• Options
    spektre12spektre12 Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm flying a KDF BoP rightnow. I think I'll stick with Klink birds until I hit T5 then I'm getting my T'Varo (RF). :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    hyoukihyouki Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    C-Store ships not counting.

Can there be something other then a slow boat Cruiser with Engineer Boff top for tier 4 Dilth?

So ATM. Anyone wanting an Agile ship for tier 4 will not be flying a Rom ship.

And as for science simply will not be flying Romulan until tier 5

Tier 1 = Anything/Nothing
    Tier 2 = Tac
    Tier 3 = Tac
    Tier 4 = Eng
    Tier 5 = Options

Best option. Just like the KDF BoP. Either have the top slot Universal...or All slots Universal.

BoPs balance their battle cloak and universal slots with very squishy hulls; Romulans balance instead Singularity + BC vs power levels. As such, giving Romulans universal slots would mean they have to pay something more...and before you say "nerf the hull!", no, if you want that balance, just go play a BoP instead. It's already in the game, do something different.

As far as the lack of ship variety, I think that there were three primary factors playing into our lack of options at T1-4: dearth of canonical ship sources, time constraints, and investment vs return.

For the canonical front, let's face it, there's not a lot of Romulan ships that show up in the Trek universe. Romulans are a little TOO good at being secretive, apparently, as nobody knows what the bulk of their ships are like. :P As such, the devs have to create a lot from scratch to get a proper breadth of ships.

They had to get Klingons up to 1-50 with content to match. They had to get the entirety of the Romulan faction, missions, ships, etc. in place. They had a lot to get done and a little time to do it. This is where the investment vs reward comes in: do they focus on providing a wealth of T1-4 ships, or a wealth of T5 ships...they don't have time for both. Ultimately, sure it sucks that you spend a week or two without much choice in ships, but frankly in a year you'll have spent most of that year in your Warbird of choice vs the 3 days you were forced into a D'deridex; the devs rightly chose to put their time into the endgame ships, and gave a bit of "variety" by saying "oh, yeah, you can also use one of your ally's ships at T1-4".

The way I'm treating it is as a sampler: I try out each of the warbirds at levels 1-49 so that I'm well informed at 50 as to which I want to use going forward. Using each of the different ships in beta taught me a lot about the advantages and disadvantages of each, and so I feel it was definitely not time wasted even though I went back to the Mogai at 50.

I'm sure there will be more ships added in the future...once they can figure out something that seems Romulan enough without having something from one of the shows to refer to. In the meanwhile, you are more than welcome to feel unhappy about this (if it, ironically enough, makes you feel happy to feel unhappy about it), but for myself, I'll just look at each as a learning tool so I can be happier about my ultimate choice at 50.
  • Options
    syleman41syleman41 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    can someone tell me why i cannot activate my Vo'quv Carrier mirror as romulan.. i am subadmiral and joined the klingon force...

i spent all my credits in it :(
  • Options
    nightbringer83nightbringer83 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You can only use max T4 allied ships.
  • Options
    bpharmabpharma Member Posts: 2,022
    edited May 2013
    hyouki kinda has the right idea but we also have to consider the CBS license might even play into it. They can't just create fictional ships and make them a staple part of the game. Look at all the cryptic designs and cryptic made ships. They're all lockbox or harder to get ships. How much of this is due to the license I dunno but they did give you a way around this.

Don't like the ship you're offered for free? Then use an allied ship. Most of them don't cost much in dilithium which you can transfer to your romulan via the exchange. If you have c-store ships of your allies they are free so you may use them instead.

The way I see it is it's only levels 20-40 that are a problem. At 20 you get a more tactical focused ship but you also get a free cruiser from temporal ambassador and you spend most of 20-30 on the ground anyway. 30-40 is a killer as you have to use the d'deridex or an ally ship but then again it's only 10 levels and considering how many bugs there were in closed beta I'm happy they focused their time on bugs and other content rather than creating ships for us to use and throw away after 10 levels.

It is through repetition that we learn our weakness.
    A master with a stone is better than a novice with a sword.

Has damage got out of control?
    This is the last thing I will post.
  • Options
    davidwforddavidwford Member Posts: 1,836 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    A solution to lack of ship designs is to use the designs from other games. Cryptic/Perfect World should swallow their pride, and cut a deal with those other companies so that the ships can be added. If Cryptic/Perfect world has to share the profits from the sales of those ships in the game, so be it. Otherwise, how is is "created by fans for fans" as was originally pitched?
  • Options
    taknathtaknath Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    neos472 wrote: »
    have you forgotten you can use you allies ships as well as a Romulan?

yes you can.. as long as you have the Dil to buy one. it would take me quite a while (10 days is a while to me) to get together 80k dil to buy a tier 4 ship. by the time i got 80k dil id be long past the need of it and up to tier 5.
  • Options
    azyurionazyurion Member Posts: 168 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    dantivirus wrote: »
    I don't understand why we have such a limited selection of free ships to choose from. The Federation and Klingons have tons, yet we a total of 4 until SubAdmiral. Yes, I am not counting the refits as we have to pay for those. Yes we can purchase faction ships up to tier 4. Why no simply let us use our ship token for one of those if we want?

My personal opinion is that they kept the number of "free" ships down because we, honestly, don't need any more for the grind and because it will encourage us to buy premium ship variants and designs. I am very disappointed they have chosen to disallow me from claiming and using my C-Store purchased end game ships from the faction with which my Romulan toon has allied. That was a purely profit driven move that needs to be corrected, sooner than later!
  • Options
    bpharmabpharma Member Posts: 2,022
    edited May 2013
    Well Azyurian, yes it is an effort to get Romulans to buy more VA ships and use them. On the other hand story wise it would be very silly to let an ally use all your best ships. Gameplay wise alliances might be set up this way for future plans as very few people will be using thier T1-4 ships late game. So if they do get rid of the alliance later it won't be detrimental to the faction with some players at end game flying kumari while others cannot because it's not allowed anymore.

We can't just think of the decissions that Cryptic has made based purely on what we see and want now but what we want to see it become. Think of the alliances as a stop gap for fleshing out the fraction until new content comes. Within a year it would not surprise me if alliances can be broken and Roms get a starbases, fleets, have multiple ships at all tiers and become their own independant faction.

It is through repetition that we learn our weakness.
    A master with a stone is better than a novice with a sword.

Has damage got out of control?
    This is the last thing I will post.
  • Options
    stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    taknath wrote: »
    yes you can.. as long as you have the Dil to buy one. it would take me quite a while (10 days is a while to me) to get together 80k dil to buy a tier 4 ship. by the time i got 80k dil id be long past the need of it and up to tier 5.

Conversely, if you had done any research you could have easily figured out that the D'Deridex was not the ship for you when you hit T4 and chosen an allied vessel with your free token.
  • Options
    roulexdalusroulexdalus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There's the rub--you can't use your free token on allied ships-just on the warbird.
  • Options
    captianmarrcaptianmarr Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't understand why they just didn't make the ships vaguely universal, by giving them universal seating, or, alternatively, just create multiple versions of the same ship model with different enough stats to fill whatever role the player wants.
  • Options
    tpolebreakertpolebreaker Member Posts: 266 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There's the rub--you can't use your free token on allied ships-just on the warbird.

Is that intentional? Really seems like you should be able to...
    edited May 2013
    Is that intentional? Really seems like you should be able to...

It's ridicilous..and intentional.
    One of the DEV blogs told us in advance you'd need to pay DIL for allied ships.

*EDIT: the only exception is the mission reward from "Temporal Ambassador" of course*
  • Options
    mathcubemathcube Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    misterde3 wrote: »
    It's ridicilous..and intentional.
    One of the DEV blogs told us in advance you'd need to pay DIL for allied ships.

That it's required to pay dilithium at all for ships below max level is what's ridiculous, but that's a whole other argument.
  • Options
    misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mathcube wrote: »
    That it's required to pay dilithium at all for ships below max level is what's ridiculous, but that's a whole other argument.

Only for silver players.;)
    Gold players get a free ship token every 10 levels.
  • Options
    mathcubemathcube Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited May 2013

All players get a free ship token at level up. That you still have to pay dilithium to try out other types of ships while leveling is what I am saying is ridiculous.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    All players get a free ship token at level up. That you still have to pay dilithium to try out other types of ships while leveling is what I am saying is ridiculous.

AH...you mean that.
    Thanks for clearing that up.
    Not sure what to say except that it's a token.
    I won't patronise by linking to an explanation what a token is.
    I believe you know what it means.

Before FTP you could buy low-level ships beyond the first one for Energy Credits, but I guess Cryptic felt those were too easy to obtain...
  • Options
    jermbotjermbot Member Posts: 801 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Well, for one, even Silver players get a free ship token every 10 levels. They were going to have to grind Dilithium, but Cryptic changed their mind before F2P was even released. I know, this came as a surprise to me too when I heard about it last week.

But the important point is that the tokens given to Romulan captains can only be spent on Romulan ships, thus the Cryptic Points I spent way back when on a Scourge Destroyer repay themselves yet again.
  • Options
    toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jermbot wrote: »
    But the important point is that the tokens given to Romulan captains can only be spent on Romulan ships, thus the Cryptic Points I spent way back when on a Scourge Destroyer repay themselves yet again.

I was quite surprised to find out I not only get the Mogai for free at lvl 20, but I also got the Vandal (logical, it comes with Plasmonic Leech) and the Su'Qob raptor (Bio-neural warhead, btw.). At once I was unsure about what ship to use. :D

And for lvl 30, well there's my trusted Vor'Kang, that is, if I'm really annoyed by the D, which I'm not. And the Tier lower Mogai is still easily usable even by beginners. So while not a perfect situation, it's fine.

(Note: Clearly, the concerned toon is KDF allied.)
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • Options
    pwedisplaynamepwedisplayname Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

It's actually kind of interesting. Because of the leveling speed changes, in most cases it's impossible to aquire enough Dilithium on a character to purchase a ship before outleveling the tier.

Of course, you could transfer Dilithium from another character on the account - but if you are playing the new/leveling character who needs the ships, you generally won't have the time to farm on your other character(s).

It makes no sense.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Well, for one, even Silver players get a free ship token every 10 levels. They were going to have to grind Dilithium, but Cryptic changed their mind before F2P was even released. I know, this came as a surprise to me too when I heard about it last week.

Surprised? Count me in.
    I never heard that they had changed that since F2P test times.
    Thanks.

I'll use my Vor'kang to skip the T4 D'deridex.
    The ship isn't the problem: it's the equipment at that level.
    It's okay on a maneuverable battlecruiser but on a ship like the Galaxy or even less agile...nope.:)
    I'll gladly fly a D'd retro or a Hapax...with MkX or XI equipment it's a lot more fun.
  • Options
    badvaiobadvaio Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    We can't even use the mirror vorcha which has really annoyed me. I bought one specially to use at lvl 40.
  • Options
    toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    badvaio wrote: »
    We can't even use the mirror vorcha which has really annoyed me. I bought one specially to use at lvl 40.

I gotta admit, I almost made a stock of Mirror KDF ships before LoR. Thankfully I realised in time Mirror ships are Tier 5 vessels... :P
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • Options
    azyurionazyurion Member Posts: 168 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    There are more Romulan ships at launch than even the Federation had.

This is literally the last thing about the new faction worth complaining about.

Yeah, I was a beta player and I think you may be wrong about this, or you're just being facetious. My recollection is that Fed at launch had a full range of ships at various levels.