test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Partially Patched, then cryptic error crash - not patching now.

cyberpapacyberpapa Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
Excited as everyone else about the new release I began patching Holodeck. Everything was going swimmingly and I settled back to await the patch.
When I next look at the screen the cryptic crash report is up; and the launcher is down.
I tried logging out and back in, no luck. Tried shutting down to reboot system, no luck; tried force validate, no luck.
The patching... notification appears; but, no counters appear and the launchers crashes without any error and pops up the cryptic crash report screen.

I have a Windows 7 machine with 4GB memory, decent processor and graphics card. The Tribble server, on which I have been playing patched successfully, and is up and running, so I'm guessing... not the computer.

1. Could this be due to the number of people updating and this is just a cryptic error, a no message, no indication simply stating... patch server timeout?

2. Do I have another problem?

3. It's late, or should I say early on the East Coast US so I'm off for some zzzzz's and to try again in the morning. I will come back to report and see any suggestions at this time.
So, for now, thank you ahead of time to anyone offering feedback on this issue. And, I will let everyone know if or when I get up and running, and if so, what I did, if anything, to get there.
FED Vice Admiral Gervnd USS Singularity
KDF Commander Inuni IKS Ornovus
ROM Centurion Aer RRW Scientology :cool:
Post edited by cyberpapa on

Comments

• cyberpapacyberpapa Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I am up and running... After figuring out what was wrong, all I can say is that after my 25 years of programming I can't believe Cryptic didn't put any error trapping in the patcher/loader. Nevertheless, they didn't.
    So, my issue was I had used up too much drive space with copies of Holodeck, backup copy of Holodeck, Tribble Server, & Redshirt copies and the patcher/loader ran out of drive space, and didn't bother to tell me. OK, now I know what the requirements are; but, after 6 months and jumping back and forth between servers and doing patches it slipped my mind. That doesn't excuse Cryptic from having error traps, and error messages that can give us a clue. It's bad enough computers tell us as little as they do when there is a problem; but, to intentionally NOT include trapping is a no-no in development.

Without getting into too huge a rant, when developing the fist thing one does is place error-traps in every method or event code section in order to at least give one a clue. Add to that a non-support support, and one can be clueless, for a while, even with the best of experience.

Last word: Thanks to everyone, even someone like me, who posts problems, and solutions. For without you, the already often too difficult issue of troubleshooting often evolves into Process Exploration and Process Monitoring and debuggers, something that a little foresight from the developers can almost completely eliminate. So kudos to us. Shame to cryptic, that's about as arrogant as one can get.
    FED Vice Admiral Gervnd USS Singularity
    KDF Commander Inuni IKS Ornovus
    ROM Centurion Aer RRW Scientology :cool: