test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Dying art of shipbuilding

philipagphilipag Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in PvP Gameplay
Well I admit I like obscure, experimental builds but they are getting so unviable.

Hull regeneration builds are pretty much finished as of S7, along with several consoles that related to them. Photonic builds died a few weeks prior with it's shockwave torp.

Are there any viable ships anymore besides the USS Cookie-Cutter stacked with field generators and Romulan bridge officers?
Post edited by philipag on

Comments

• Options
    shookyangshookyang Member Posts: 1,122
    edited May 2013
    I've heard of people with an entire crew of veteran BOFFs, which gives them a boost to their base damage over someone who has Romulan BOFFs. My fleet mate used to tell me that the vet BOFF build was outdamaging his all Romulan BOFF.

Not sure how that's possible, since he had a pretty high critical hit.

Also, people still use field generators?
  • Options
    paradise1killerparadise1killer Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ive been flying weird sci build since beta. They still exist. They just cost more to get to the pinnacle. They all cost $$ or a lot of time to grind to get to the point here are a few.

Drain.
    Plama Dot
    Recharge builds
    Transphasic bombers
    Un-killable zombies
    Boarding party
    Shield stripper. borderline useful with a lot of p2w console but still on the fence for effectiveness.

Soon to come

Speed scort
    Brel/bop cloak snooper bombers
    Carrier Elite pets for both sides
    perma alpha Bop

Here's my retired tholian weaver alpha stike.

Alpha+Omega + Web + Jump ( to inside the web)TBR3 into wall + transphasic Torpedo spread + cluster+ Iso-charge = dead pre-made team.

cost of build $50 in ship and consoles

People tried to copy but never got its just so crazy but it works so good.

There so much you can do in this game when it come to creative builds. You just have to give it your best when you walk into pvp with funky builds, but you can make a lot of sick builds.

Then you'll here all the QQ for cookie cutter-scort saying your no skilled because you don't have there cookie cutter and being fully disable, killed threw shields, drain, crushed is just so op that its hax and QQ how its stupid sto, but that has always been STo weird crazy builds. The best player in sto are the crazy min-max funky builds the rest are all the noobs flying bugs thinking there all great until they meet a real player.

A great players will find a way to kill you with out ever firing any energy weapons ;)
    Nova Core
    ParadiseKiller

House of Beautiful Orions
    Zeadonouse
    ToLate
  • Options
    antoniosalieriantoniosalieri Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You hear this sort of talk everytime a long time bug gets fixed.

Shock wave torps should have NEVER ever had an interaction with a Doff... no other P2W console skill has its cool down reduced by doffs of any kind. I mean think of it this way... if Gravity Pulse had its cool down reduced by the same doff that reduces the cool down on gravity well, would you not consider that a bug ? :)

Plasma skills should NEVER ever have had an interaction with a Tactical console.

When a skill does X dmg in is level 1 version... and 2x in its level 2... and then 20x in its level 3.... Um its bugged... you haven't discovered a great "option" you have discovered an unpatched bug. :)

When these types of long standing bugs get patched there is always people that complain... cause they had found some sort of viable option that was "unique" to them even though in truth its use was fairly wide spread.

There are plenty of anti establishment builds out there.

Do they always work better 100% of time time vs the "standard" builds... well no why should they. In most cases the "standard" builds are what people gravitate to after 1000s and sometimes tens of thousands of hours of testing all the possible combos.

The key is understanding when your niche build is going to out perform those builds... and then try your best to create those situations often enough to make your odd duck build the victor.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Call it a "bug" if you want, many of these builds that are getting "fixed" were just not that good or problematic (like hull regeneration). We are in fact running out of viable niches, which is the point.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Ive been flying weird sci build since beta. They still exist. They just cost more to get to the pinnacle. They all cost $$ or a lot of time to grind to get to the point here are a few.

Drain.
    Plama Dot
    Recharge builds
    Transphasic bombers
    Un-killable zombies
    Boarding party
    Shield stripper. borderline useful with a lot of p2w console but still on the fence for effectiveness.

Soon to come

Speed scort
    Brel/bop cloak snooper bombers
    Carrier Elite pets for both sides
    perma alpha Bop

Here's my retired tholian weaver alpha stike.

Alpha+Omega + Web + Jump ( to inside the web)TBR3 into wall + transphasic Torpedo spread + cluster+ Iso-charge = dead pre-made team.

cost of build $50 in ship and consoles

People tried to copy but never got its just so crazy but it works so good.

There so much you can do in this game when it come to creative builds. You just have to give it your best when you walk into pvp with funky builds, but you can make a lot of sick builds.

Then you'll here all the QQ for cookie cutter-scort saying your no skilled because you don't have there cookie cutter and being fully disable, killed threw shields, drain, crushed is just so op that its hax and QQ how its stupid sto, but that has always been STo weird crazy builds. The best player in sto are the crazy min-max funky builds the rest are all the noobs flying bugs thinking there all great until they meet a real player.

A great players will find a way to kill you with out ever firing any energy weapons ;)

Interesting, I like this creative stuff.

B'rels and/or transphasics could be next on the list however. Like to see more of this kind of thing, not less.

Been playing since pre-launch, and the only thing I ever considered seriously OP (or perhaps OU, over-used) was early Viral Matrix (a few weird occasional bugs aside).

Hull regen, even when maxxed out in every possible way, was just ok.
  • Options
    maicake716maicake716 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i like to create fun pve builds now.

in my gal-x

faw looks so puuuurtttty
    mancom wrote: »
    Frankly, I think the only sound advice that one can give new players at this time is to stay away from PVP in STO.
    Science pvp at its best-http://www.youtube.com/user/matteo716
    Do you even Science Bro?
  • Options
    antoniosalieriantoniosalieri Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    philipag wrote: »
    Call it a "bug" if you want, many of these builds that are getting "fixed" were just not that good or problematic (like hull regeneration). We are in fact running out of viable niches, which is the point.

Well they are bugged that's the point.

The human doff junk wasn't some super secret squirrel power. It was a clearly broken mechanic... one that was added and never tweaked.

After 3 years of the human trait not working at all... when they flipped them on with those sorts of numbers. Pretty much anyone that was any bit familiar with the game. New that they where 100% broken... and most of us knew they would get corrected. Frankly I am a bit annoyed that Cryptic left them in the game in that state for as long as they did.

When I think of unique outside the box builds I don't go and find something that is broken and then rachet it up to 10 thinking I have done something inventive. I would simply be goosing a broken mechanic... some people would call it exploiting. I won't go that far however... some of the things I listed and even the human boffs do indeed however fit the traditional definition of exploiting.

What annoys me most about this game in that regard... is that Cryptic in most cases will allow things like that to stay in the game patch after patch. I know they are getting reported cause often I am one of the ones reporting them. Frankly Cryptic has to get A LOT more pro active about squashing exploitable bugs. Had the Human doffs gotten toned down within 1-2 patchs of being flipped on... there would likely be very little QQ about it. Ditto for things like the shockwave doff interaction, or the Shockwave 3 controversy, or the interaction of plasma infusers. If we go way back there was things like Tac captain abilities affecting defensive numbers. Some of that stuff was in the game for a year and more... so its understandable that some people would come to see them as working as intended. I mean if I bug report something in a very detailed way and a year later its still in game would i be wrong in assuming its a legit game mechanic.

So far I think everything that was fixed was fixed as it should have been. What annoys me is that these things lingering for as long as they do... of course you have to expect for people to build around them and get a little attached to them. Don't get me wrong I am not saying anyone using them was exploiting... how can they be accused of that when Cryptic leaves these things in game for in some cases 50+ patches. They would save themselves a lot of QQ over this type of junk if they would get much better at fixing in a timely manner exploitable bugs and mechanic breakdowns.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
  • Options
    shimmerlessshimmerless Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's easy to blame players for cookie-cutter thinking but ultimately it's Cryptic that can push or nix a proposed build or a given trend, and to date they've pushed the current meta hard. I'd honestly not be surprised if the Bug alone fueled this expansion's VO salaries and a good chunk of the Neverwinter budget.

Maximum performance builds in STO arise because there are so many no-brainer traits with solid returns ? energy resistance, +damage traits and consoles, critical traits ? and so many situational traits and weapons with niche appeal at best.

These traits fast become exponentially more appealing because Cryptic keeps piling more of them on: the more +crit chance/sev dumped into the game, the more people will gravitate towards healers and +resistance. The more passive regen and unthinkably high shield resists Cryptic gives us this week, the more players will build for lethal spike.

Spike in both directions is a real problem in STO, and it's not being helped by Cryptic's blind attempts at a solution. When damage is applied too fast the game becomes twitch-based and more or less eliminates team play; you're on a CS de_dust map now. Teams with four healers cycling permanent Extends and hovering their fingers over the ST3 bind are not uncommon, because getting nuked is a death sentence in the current state of the game.

Maybe this kind of cutthroat environment will breed creativity. I recall a story I was told a while back about a Klinkydink team that was terrorizing the FvK queues with a full power drain setup. The Feds banded together, tried out a bunch of tricks and finally decided on throwing out energy weapons in favor of trannies. The Klinks were trounced and clever thinking won the day. I'd hope that might be the case for STO today, but I'm not hopeful.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    vids and guides and stuff

[9:52] [Zone #11] Neal@trapper1532: im a omega force shadow oprative and a maoc elite camander and here i am taking water samples
  • Options
    newromulan1newromulan1 Member Posts: 2,229
    edited May 2013
    My New Reman/sci Transhasic bomber is doing so real dmg with the fleet T,varo 4 tac slots

All torp build - full spec'd into torps/crits - base dmg on my trans is 6200 without the rep increases yet - breen is up to 4100 per mine

it packs a real punch to someones hull. running TS3 TS1 HY2 - add the Romulan Mega torp - I think that is the name from the 2 console set from c-store ships

Was in C/H today and got into a 1/1 pretty far out against a adapted destroyer - real good KDF player he was - eventually got him down to about 20% before 1 of his buddies showed up to help out - have to stay out of range as a lot of KDF players have respec their builds into decloaking builds. Which is something new!
  • Options
    snoge00fsnoge00f Member Posts: 1,812 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My New Reman/sci Transhasic bomber is doing so real dmg with the fleet T,varo 4 tac slots

All torp build - full spec'd into torps/crits - base dmg on my trans is 6200 without the rep increases yet - breen is up to 4100 per mine

it packs a real punch to someones hull. running TS3 TS1 HY2 - add the Romulan Mega torp - I think that is the name from the 2 console set from c-store ships

Was in C/H today and got into a 1/1 pretty far out against a adapted destroyer - real good KDF player he was - eventually got him down to about 20% before 1 of his buddies showed up to help out - have to stay out of range as a lot of KDF players have respec their builds into decloaking builds. Which is something new!

Or if they run EPTA, they can see you out to 30km or so.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ilhanskilhansk Member Posts: 620 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    blub

Where have you been! :eek: You playing again?!
    Visit the Inner Circle YouTube Channel to watch some STO pew pew PVP action!

• Options
    talzerotwotalzerotwo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I always felt that the reason more unique or truly new ship builds aren't more frequent, is because PvP (due in part to lack of expansion) has been so specialized by the pvp community itself to run (for the most part) ONLY what is within acceptable parameters for the 5v5 premades for maximum effectiveness, just look at how we've limited it to tac and sci premades.

its in part why my build is more an in between for pugging and some premade filler. It is what it is
    [SIGPIC]http://tinyurl.com/msywqm5[/SIGPIC]
    Chillax. No Ego. No Drama.

Like my alien? Watch THE VIDEO
    Need custom graphics for you or your fleet? Click HERE
  • Options
    havamhavam Member Posts: 1,735 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You hear this sort of talk everytime a long time bug gets fixed.

Shock wave torps should have NEVER ever had an interaction with a Doff... no other P2W console skill has its cool down reduced by doffs of any kind. I mean think of it this way... if Gravity Pulse had its cool down reduced by the same doff that reduces the cool down on gravity well, would you not consider that a bug ? :)

Plasma skills should NEVER ever have had an interaction with a Tactical console.

When a skill does X dmg in is level 1 version... and 2x in its level 2... and then 20x in its level 3.... Um its bugged... you haven't discovered a great "option" you have discovered an unpatched bug. :)

When these types of long standing bugs get patched there is always people that complain... cause they had found some sort of viable option that was "unique" to them even though in truth its use was fairly wide spread.

There are plenty of anti establishment builds out there.

Do they always work better 100% of time time vs the "standard" builds... well no why should they. In most cases the "standard" builds are what people gravitate to after 1000s and sometimes tens of thousands of hours of testing all the possible combos.

The key is understanding when your niche build is going to out perform those builds... and then try your best to create those situations often enough to make your odd duck build the victor.
    the introduction of new sets, gear, the doffs system.... and new powers and traits via lockboxed has lead to many more combination that are possible. Some of these are what i would call effective niche builds.

I think the problem of the OP is that you can't switch from one, or commit to min-maxing one niche build as you used to.

I used to be able to experiment with builds, and have builds ready within a couple of minutes. Hilbert pointed this out rather succinctly. This is no longer the case. I agree that this has made build experimentation less fun, not to speak of the insanely high prices for respeccing.

I also agree that the performance bridge between eg. Aux2Sif3 and Aceton 3 thanks to new doffs has widened. Back in the day it was easy to grab a Aceton 3 BO, some new white or green sci consoles from a vendor maybe a different deflector, and see how far you could push it. Now the amount of gear and doffs that are necessary to understand if Aceton 3 can be viable at all is just massive, while aux2 sif has similar doffs and stuff to boost it. Hence the gap has widened, not that Aceton 3 has ever been a true competition to AUx2Sif3.

What we need is a Doff vendor that has all the ultra-rare doff abilities in white and green quality for a low price. Not in a random box, but something everyone can acquire quickly and see if it yields the results they were hoping for. Then we can go gambling away to get the purples. But as it stands a lucky draw on some good doffs, almost locks you BO selection down the minute you received the Doff, since a nothing else can perform at similar levels, and there is no reliable way of creating a similar build, let alone switch to it whenever you think it might be appropriate.

AS boost if we were to have this vendor on tribble we wouldn't have the seasonal SNB doff disaster, like the new EPTX doff now, being released on holo. Only to bort be all defensive about it, because while he really likes constructive feedback, please not in a testing phase. Its on holo now all be nice and maybe in a year from now (see SNB dofff) we'll do something about it. If they were any serious about their pvp marketing speak they might have learned something from that experience. Pretty clear that they haven't.
  • Options
    adaephondelatadaephondelat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Speed scort

Allready seen that one. JHAS with EptE flying circles with 10 kms diameter. Uncatchable even with a tractor beam when Ap:O was on cooldown. You shoot it near death and it literally warps out of your weapons range. If the pilot would have been a little more skilled he could have easily dominated the c&h and could have avoided the few times we shot him.
  • Options
    iskandusiskandus Member Posts: 1,062 Arc User
    edited May 2013

I run a similar build but your numbers posted above are impossible as base damage. Fleet Transphasic after 4 X Tact console, + rule 62 + Adapted MACO net you a base damage around 5000, not 6200. Each Mk XII Transphasic compressor purple (+30 Transphasic) adds about +300 to the base damage. So to achieve your above stated base damage of 6200, one would in theory needs an additional 4 tactical slots making it a total of 8 X Mk XII Transphasic compressor (purple).

Please explain or correct the numbers above, we don't need misinformation or numbers that are seriously inflated just to make a point.
  • Options
    illcadiaillcadia Member Posts: 1,412 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2013
    iskandus wrote: »
    I run a similar build but your numbers posted above are impossible as base damage. Fleet Transphasic after 4 X Tact console, + rule 62 + Adapted MACO net you a base damage around 5000, not 6200. Each Mk XII Transphasic compressor purple (+30 Transphasic) adds about +300 to the base damage. So to achieve your above stated base damage of 6200, one would in theory needs an additional 4 tactical slots making it a total of 8 X Mk XII Transphasic compressor (purple).

Please explain or correct the numbers above, we don't need misinformation or numbers that are seriously inflated just to make a point.

The T'Varo Lite/Retrofit console set provides a +10% bonus to torpedo damage. This, with the KHG bonus, applies at the tail end of the damage calculation (after gear, but before skills, IIRC)