test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Feedback on UI

ehlimehlim Member Posts: 2 Arc User
So far looks great, love the new UI!

Suggestions for improvement:

- Space, romulan UI; the animation for the shield facing (when you click on one or another in order to divert power to it) it's a bit difficult to see. And since it's a critical thing to monitor during combat, I think it could be made more apparent, either by giving it more "flashiness" or pulsing or just extending the rim of the current pulsing in order to make it more visible.

Thanks
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by ehlim on

Comments

• danquellerdanqueller Member Posts: 506 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    In my opinion, the best thing they could do to improve the new HUD:

* Make selecting the 'Classic' color schemes convert all elements of the HUD back to the monochromatic colors of the original HUD. And by that I mean -all- elements. Not just one or two lines while leaving the multicolored command tray buttons and distracting color coded power icons. Many of us want to see the -game-, not the HUD, and the new HUD is a distraction instead of an aid. Allowing us to return to the HUD that worked would be immense help.

The other thing they could do would be to reduce the size of the dialogue popups. We don't need the thing to block the entire screen just to let us know we are in range to dock with a station. We can read a window half that size, and not recoil in our seats when our ships suddenly get blocked by a static NPC asking if we want to dock.

Seriously, did they have to mess with so much? The previous HUDs worked great while letting you see the world, so why did they think they needed to make them more distracting?
  • goltzhargoltzhar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So we got LCARS and a multi choice Yay! ...Hmmm wait a F-king moment..

If I choose default there is a difference in Fed and Kdf... but if I want a different on my KDF char I have to have the same ON ALL MY OTHER FED CHARS!!!!!! What the F-King hell is going on ?

Hmm... "Cryptic" : Look we have made it so you can change UI!!!! But if you change you will have the same F-King UI on all char's. Nanana na na na!!!

WTF!!!!!!
  • poiuylkjhg09876poiuylkjhg09876 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    UI feedback. IT SUXS also thx for allowing us to retain the old or change back. good touch... wait what do you MEAN YOU DIDN"T ?

So thx for taking a passable game and sticking to your motto. If it ain't broke, we should work on that to distract players from all that is, if it is broke we can break it worse and make them regret having complained at all. Thanks for realizing that i love to play and do things twice
    . It isn't enough to play it on tribble and recieve no measurable reward for time invested other than beta testing and a worthless inventory leech like a tribble or something equally worthless to established players.

I know the majority are idiots and you serve the majority but come on. little over the top with the textures?

Things i wanted to do, enjoy new content and play sto, things i didn't want to do, spend days and weeks adjusting to a new look layout and functionality. So guess what i will do. I will relearn a new layout a new look a new type of interface features, but im doing it on another game. Thanks for the last straw in we are dev's hear us fail to succeed.

Just when i started to really make the last turn in evolution you had to though another desperate attempt at generating traffic and dollars. The attempt is not wrong it is the foolishly desperate and lacking any forsight implimentation that annoys me.

good luck with ur genre, always loved it, now im off to play another genre i love, being ruined by other devs who fold to the new f2p format and fold badly.
  • bberge1701bberge1701 Member Posts: 726 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2013
    So far, my only complaint is that the UI theme setting is account-wide. The only way to get different UI themes for different characters is to use "Default". That's not horrible -- it gives most of my characters an appropriate theme. But it would be nice to use the "Orion" theme for my Orion characters without forcing it on all my characters.
  • fonz71fonz71 Member Posts: 346 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    as others have posted i would like the original UI as an option... i don't like the new one... and why [on kdf] are my allies blue?!?

i can see that making your power tray so many colors Might be easier for new players, sadly i don't think that is the case. it is far easier and less distracting with the monotone colors b4.

even the one option that is supposed to be [i'm guessing] Klingon\fed retro is not even close. why does there need to be a color for every fracking thing?

and is there any way to tone down the colors for general space objects and weapons and such? this game attracted me at first because i liked the graphics and had a feel of realizim. sorry to say it has a much more cartoonish feel to it now, especially with the bright-azz HUD... -.-

to reiterate, please make an option for the original HUD. please and thank you. :P
    Don't know why it says i'm an ARC user. i will never use that TRIBBLE Cryptic!
  • ehlimehlim Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    A few replies:

- to the one saying that the interaction button takes up too much space in your screen: go to HUD personalization, select the interaction element and scale it down to just the size that you want. You can do that with every element, you can also make things bigger and change font sizes.

- to the one asking why in KDF default you see allies blue and enemies red... Well in my opinion that's just exactly how it should have always been. I've always found extremely frustrating the old KDF UI. I am very happy with the improvements they have done to the whole UI, colors, look, and especially feel: it is way smoother, appealing, dynamic and fast in response time than before.

- to the many reporting the issue where you cannot make a UI choise permanent for just one character apart from selecting default: yes, I agree. That's annoying and looks like a bug, more than a design decision. At least I hope xD

That last one I would like to see fixed/implemented!
    Thank you!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • alaerickalaerick Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The new UI is ugly. Flat colors square edges.. nothing sleek about it. Prefer the old one 10:1
    A beautiful death awaits you...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    -Foundry-
    Campaign: The Battle of Neverwinter - NWS-DOQXFA4ZD
    Prologue: A not so simple plan - NW-DCJG75B9D
  • therealgurutherealguru Member Posts: 155 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I also want to play on all my char with a specific UI.
    Don't want to be oblige to play my kdf or rom with the UI of my main FED !!!

you gibve us the opportunity to have Lcars with nice colors oportunity but you limit it's use.

Please fix this.
    My Dm videos - My Yt channel

My Wordpress Blog - Blogger

In Space, drinking or piloting, you must choose ! If you drink, put on the autopilot ;)
  • kimonykimony Member Posts: 571 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The new UI, I really want to like it but I keep thinking it looks like it was designed by the same folks who designed the graphic UI for Netscape Navigator with a cartoon silhouette of my ship in the center ring to top it off.

Everything in the UI is so flat it blends in with the background and with the semi-transparent salmon colored ship tags to making it hard to tell heads from tail, for example, in the hive.

Even my poor ship winds up muddled in the mess where it used to stand out or on top of other objects it doesn't pop out at me like it used to and seems more in the background from the brief glimpses I got between being deathrayed repeatedly. LOL!

No longer able to click and select a team member from the list have to click on their ship, not good.

Oh yeah, and the multi-colored powers in the tray... aye-curumba!

#SaucersForever #TrianglesCutDeep #TeamBeta #ShipOneisNumberOne
  • smoovioussmoovious Member Posts: 264 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    and we seriously need to be able to adjust the color and size of the labels above our avatars. the font is too thin with whatever outlining you're using too just making the readability worse, particularly when you're on the ground, but even in space.

they're barely readable now and don't look crisp and clean at all.

-- Smoov
  • kimonykimony Member Posts: 571 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The cartoony new UI and others changes make it look like I'm playing Star Trek Online - The Animated Series.

Thanks for getting rid of any sort of immersion I might have been enjoying... Whew, Don't have to worry about that anymore.

I had always wondered wondered what happened to those folks over at Filmation.

:rolleyes:

#SaucersForever #TrianglesCutDeep #TeamBeta #ShipOneisNumberOne
  • shaunklshaunkl Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The new UI actually immerses me further into the game, personally.

As I tested the Legacy of Romulus beta the TNG HUD setting quickly became my favorite. It was the softest on my eyes and fit the aesthetic to a tee. Voyager's I felt was too yellow and cartoonish, it didn't really match up with what I consider LCARS and it hurt my eyes a fair bit too.

Now we're to the release of LoR and I discover that the visual balance has shifted between the two. TNG is now very bright, and thanks to certain parts of the palette, cartoony. Voyager has been toned down and I believe now has TNG's old "frame" color, that very soft, very perfect, yellowish brown. That brown I believe is what helps keep everything just right. TNG now has a harsh yellow that will, for instance, border NPC dialogue. This is what I feel makes it really cartoony and in-your-face.

I would hope that the TNG option could be toned down to how it looked in beta. To me that beta TNG theme was perfect in every respect.

(Taking another look at it I really think it is the yellow and the orange that make it look... I don't want to say it but I have to say make it look bad. The colors just don't go together well imo.)
    Number one on my wishlist: New FED transporter effect
    Number two: 22nd Century Excursion Jackets
    Number three: Handheld communicator animation for non-combadge uniforms
  • sirphoenixknightsirphoenixknight Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    only been playing this game a month or so so only had the UI that is in it now but seen the old one in a vid and OMG i want it the old HUD was like Win 7 to compared to Win Classic that you are using now which is barely passable as a HUD with massive pop ups all the time for everything that someone wants to say during missions..
    HUDS are not meant to distract players from the game you know i dont mind the LCARS look but atleast keep it on the same overall design of the original HUD look.. its like being slapped in the face with Win98 layout after using Win7 for years..
  • breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The only issue I have with the UI is the message pop-ups. I dislike them, especially the inability to move them around anymore. Since they usually pop-up over the top of my teammates status bars, it makes healing a pain in missions like Colony Invasion. Having "Diplomat Secured" cover everyone's status bars is not helpful.

Can you please add a way to move the stupid things around in the "Rearrange HUD" section? Please? Loot Need/Greed/Pass as well, while you are at it...
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • stupidconversionstupidconversion Member Posts: 151 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    My issues aren't really "new vs old," they're just issues. Like jumping buttons and switching buttons, i.e. the order of momentary (take item, respond to person) buttons changes so that if you hit the activate key you may get an option you don't want.

Then, if you use the mouse, by the time you move to the button it moves to the low priority area on the other side of the screen. Then, you move the cursor there and it moves back to the center.

And I won't stop complaining about combining full throttle with slipstream because it's just a bad idea. It's like making jump and run inseperable.
  • aruk1975aruk1975 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Im sick of companys that forces me into something i dont like,yes some changes
    is needed.But not by force you to like it.Im not going to play this game any more!

It was great while it lasted !!! :mad:
  • th3xr34p3rth3xr34p3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    aruk1975 wrote: »
    Im sick of companys that forces me into something i dont like,yes some changes
    is needed.But not by force you to like it.Im not going to play this game any more!

It was great while it lasted !!! :mad:

Please refrain from necroing threads older than 30 days. If you have a need to post with the same issue and the thread is older than 30 days please start a new thread.
    [SIGPIC]Click to visit Subspace-Radio[/SIGPIC]
    Twitter | Blog | Original Join Date: Dec 2007 | Gaming Setup | Raptr Profile | Gamer DNA
    The opinions expressed in my posts are my own views and do not reflect on any other entity(s) or person(s) I may or may not represent at the time.