test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Star Trek books worth reading

2»

Comments

• malakhglitchmalakhglitch Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I personally liked Imzadi by Peter David and Sarek A. C. Crispin.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • vantheman77vantheman77 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Star Trek books worth reading are:

Enterprise, First Adventure
    The Lost Years
    Strangers From The Sky
    Spock's World
    Vulcan's Glory
    Ashes of Eden
    The Return
    Avenger
    Spectre
    Dark Mirror
  • umaekoumaeko Member Posts: 748 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'll add my vote to the "Rihannsu: The Bloodwing Voyages" serie by Diane Duane. It was entertaining and it challenged me as a reader to puzzle out certain aspects of the Romulan people, allowing me to discover them rather than spoonfeed me the information.

Aside from that, it laid a rich thematical groundwork for much of the way Christine Thompson has written the Romulan Republic. Though there is a need to compromise what is unveiled in the Rihannsu books with the TNG-series (and Cryptic writing is compelled to follow the latter more than the former) after reading the books I have a much better sense of what it is to be Romulan.
  • rickeyredshirtrickeyredshirt Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Imzadi
    Best Destiny
    Shadows on the Sun
  • xtynctionxtynction Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Great picks guys so I'll add a few of my own that haven't been mentioned:

TOS

Duty, Honor, Redemption
    Star Trek Logs
    World Without End
    Windows On A Lost World
    The Starship Trap
    Sanctuary
    Death Count
    The Wounded Sky
    First Frontier
    The Great Starship Race

TNG

The Devil's Heart
    All Good Things
    Unification
    Relics
    The Romulan Prize
    Boogeymen
    Grounded

That's all I can think of that I have.
    [SIGPIC]http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91945890000&dateline=1376449598[/SIGPIC]
    Lifeforms.... you precious little lifeforms.... where are you?? I just love scanning for lifeforms..
    Revenge is a dish best served cold... it's very cold in space..
  • dixoniumdixonium Member Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    skiffy1 wrote: »
    WOAH!!! Where do I get copies of the technical memos from TNG and VOY?! I think I have nearly every other book displayed there, however.

I'll echo that. Where's the best place to get your hands on the Collected Technical Memos? I've never seen these before and now, well... I must have them!
  • dammitjim78dammitjim78 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I enjoyed the novel "Inception" by S.D. Perry and Britta Dennison. It shows a young Commander Kirk and Carol Marcus relationship (leading to David Kirk), plus a Spock/ Leila Kalomi relationship mentioned in a TOS episode. I'd say a must read for TOS fans. Probably one of the best new(er) Trek books out there. The old "log" books are still probably the greatest, capturing the TOS feel. I also enjoyed thr "Vangaurd" series, set in the TOS era, and the "Titan" series following the Rikers post Enterprise careers.
  • jornadojornado Member Posts: 918 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I forgot a few actually.

As I said, I like novels that tie the eras together or TRIBBLE some real meat behind the characters.

Two good ones are:

Vendetta, super planet-killer and insane el-Aurian, pre-Generations and pre-STO, good stuff.

The Prime Directive, pretty huge story, destroyed Enterprise and the command crew thrown out of Starfleet.

Problem with those is that the events are soooo huge, it's hard to imagine then actually having happened in canon given that they are never mentioned on-screen.

Two great novels canonically invalidated since they were written:

Star Trek: Federation, Zefram Cochrane, World War III, warp bombs, all around fun.

Strangers from the Sky: First Contact killed this one, but still a good read.

Another good novel was Probe - some cool backstory about Star Trek IV's eponymous probe.

A terribly written and occasionally drool-inducingly-bad novel was Dreadnought, but the cover art of the 3-nacelle Connie dreadnought with TMP skin and the backstory of the Dreadnought development were good reasons to give it a read. Just don't expect really believable situations or non-cardboard tiger baddies.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My guess is "hope" keeps people not playing but posting on the forums. For others, its a path of sad realization and closure. Grieving takes time. The worst "haters" here love the game, or did at some point.
  • jornadojornado Member Posts: 918 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    dixonium wrote: »
    I'll echo that. Where's the best place to get your hands on the Collected Technical Memos? I've never seen these before and now, well... I must have them!

They almost look like items that would have been issued to prospective screenwriters for the shows. Might make them hard to find.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My guess is "hope" keeps people not playing but posting on the forums. For others, its a path of sad realization and closure. Grieving takes time. The worst "haters" here love the game, or did at some point.
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited May 2013
    wetworth1 wrote: »
    I second "Federation". I think that it's the best stand alone book.

The left copy is my original. Bought in 1991 or something, dog eared, with a broken spine. The 10-14 year old me spent days pouring over it's pages.

The last time I moved, I unpacked all of my Trek books, and the tech manual was not among them. I was depressed that I had somehow lost my tech manual in the move. I eventually accepted it, and bought a new copy when I started working on STO.

Then, a month or two ago, going through some random box of papers, my original manual was sitting in the bottom. Woo Hoo!

skiffy1 wrote: »
    WOAH!!! Where do I get copies of the technical memos from TNG and VOY?! I think I have nearly every other book displayed there, however.

Sternbach sells them on Ebay once in a while. Pricey, but fun to go through periodically.

http://myworld.ebay.com/intrep74656/
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • johrmantieganjohrmantiegan Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yes, the Technical Manual is THE awesome. Originally got it myself in the 70s, poured over it ALL of the time. Still have it and its still glorious. :)
  • thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    tacofangs wrote: »
    The left copy is my original. Bought in 1991 or something, dog eared, with a broken spine. The 10-14 year old me spent days pouring over it's pages.

The last time I moved, I unpacked all of my Trek books, and the tech manual was not among them. I was depressed that I had somehow lost my tech manual in the move. I eventually accepted it, and bought a new copy when I started working on STO.

Then, a month or two ago, going through some random box of papers, my original manual was sitting in the bottom. Woo Hoo!

This is my copy.

One day, maybe I'll get Michel Okuda and/or Rick Sternbach to sign in.
  • icegavelicegavel Member Posts: 991 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If no one's said it, the Destiny trilogy is worth a look. And the rest of the Titan series, and the Typhon Pact. Some lesser-known titles I personally enjoyed were The Lost Era: The Art of the Impossible (Dealing with the Betreka Nebula "Incident" mentioned in DS9: Way of the Warrior) and a TNG title called "Immortal Coil" (I won't summarize that one - just read it. Well worth it).

And, if you're on these forums and haven't read it, go pick up the STO book "The Needs of the Many"! DEFINITELY worth a read. I've also heard good things of the Bloodwing Chronicles about the Romulans.
  • cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    OP, I have stayed away from the recent books as I focused on other titles. But I can speak for a few:

Federation (TNG/TOS)
    Prime Directive (TOS)
    and a sprinkling of the continuing series (Badlands, Kobayashi Maru, Vendetta from memory)

Prime Directive is pure Kirk being awesome
    Federation is what the movie Generations should have been and is honestly the best Trek I have read
    The series books have all been fun to read and is quick to get through

From my perspective, generally speaking, Trek books are worth reading. I have a deep respect for authors attempting to handle the classic characters and some have done the characters very well (Judith Reeves-Stevens is a name I can't forget for her work with Prime Directive).

My data my be very old, but it's memorable enough for me to add a post to your query. :)
  • draconsindraconsin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    so far any of the books by JG Hetzer aka martok
    Left hand of destiny and Shatner wrights a good book.
  • frellsmegfrakfrellsmegfrak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Anything and everything by Peter David. I particularly recommend Imzadi and his Q series (Q-Squared, IQ, and Q-in-Law), as well as his brilliant New Frontier series.
  • futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The four "Invasion!" novels weren't bad, either. They attempted to create not one but two truly alien races, and a war spanning millennia, and did a pretty good job.
  • captainchaos66captainchaos66 Member Posts: 409 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As somone who has read hundreds of star trek books over the years i have a HUGE list of suggestions:

The genesis wave series: Very well written,, never a dull page

William SHatners " the return" series. The first book is fracking AWESOME,, 2nd and
    3rd are good. Then theres " the mirror universe" series.. VERY well done, worth reading.

Star Trek: New Earth 7 book series that takes place in between TMP and TWoK, different than most trek stories,, Kirk and Spock are not the focus of EVERY book,, but it introduces some GREAT new characters.

the " A time too.." series. 8 books takes place in between Insurrection and Nemesis. Actually explains some of the story from Nemesis. Brings back some old characters, and introduces several new ones.

the INVASION series: 4 books, one for each series TOS TNG DS9 and VOY.. very well written,, different stories that are all tied together.

The Eugenics wars: 2 books that bring to life the world of KHAN... has some interesting twists, and awesome surprises.

I could go on for a while,, IMO anything by Peter David, David Mack , Diane Carey, John Vorhnholt are some of the best ive read.

OWWWWE... Cant forget Vendetta! Very good BORG story,,, almost EPIC!

Hope this helps you find something you like!

Cya around the galaxy.... Once the galaxy comes back online....
    Fleet Admiral In charge of Bacon
    Fighting 5th Attack Squadron
    The Devils Henchman
  • hrisvalarhrisvalar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'll second (or howevermanieth I am) "Federation"

Personally I find, as a rule of thumb, the Trek novels that can stand on their own will generally be much better than most of the continuation ones, that just drag the same old characters around as if the total population of the Federation is everyone we ever saw on screen. (The Titan novels really drive that failing home by not even being able leave bloody Stitch! alone!)

Anyhow, I'd recommend "A Stitch in Time", even if you don't like Cardassians, "Articles of Federation" and the DTI novel "Watching the Clock".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Reave
  • ayradyssayradyss Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The new JJ-Trek movie actually put me in mind of an old book I remember enjoying -- "Dreadnaught" by Diane Carey. (Different story, but a few similar elements. TOS-era.) There was another by Carey, "Battlestations" that was a sort of follow-up, though each is a discreet story on its own. Both good, enjoyable reads.
    Live long, and prosper.
  • rheatitanrheatitan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Star Trek Vanguard is the best star trek book series. it been consistent throughout which is more then be said for more resent star trek novel series.

biggest problem with star trek series as a whole is that it appears the star trek writers don't read each other books