test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Into Darkness Easter Eggs (Spoilers, obviously)

scruffyvulcanscruffyvulcan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in Ten Forward
I came out of Into Darkness just overwhelmed (in a good way) by all the nods and references to classic Trek, so I figured it would be fun to list them all in one thread. I'll start by naming a few I noticed...

1. The NX on the Admiral's desk.
2. The reference to Mudd.
3. The reference to Nurse Chapel.
4. Praxis (maybe)
5. Someone here suggested the weird bald dude was Ruk. I think that's an interesting theory, so I'm including it here.

So what are some other nods you noticed? It can be references to any previous Trek (movies, TOS, TNG, anything).

A humble request: I know a lot of folks here hated the new movie, and that's fine. I appreciate that. I really do. That said, I humbly and respectfully ask that we don't turn this thread into another debate about the quality of Into Darkness. If it's cool with you guys, let's keep that debate in the threads specifically created for it and just use this one to list any nods we noticed. Thanks for being awesome.
Post edited by scruffyvulcan on

Comments

• eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Bald dude's name is Science Officer 0718 and has been described has having a telegraphic link to the ship's computer.

- Phoenix and the USS Enterprise XCV-330 on the desk
    - The Star Trek tie-in video game story was referenced by McCoy
    - The Mudd incident was the Countdown to Darkness comic referenced by Kirk
    - Starbase 1, a nod to Trek Fandom, one of the names for Spacedock was Starbase 1
    - Hendorff aka Cupcake was named in the IDW On-going Star Trek series
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Section 31. Its not exactly an easter egg but it was a nice reference that a lot of people might now know about if you dont watch DS9.

the spelling of kronos. now that might be considered a nitpick as we all spell it Qo'noS, but the ship in VI that carried the chancellor was called Kronos One, so mistake or not, it ended up being a nod.
  • scruffyvulcanscruffyvulcan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Good stuff. And good info on the bald dude. Thanks.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2013
    NX Alpha warp test ship from Enterprise. And the XCV 330.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Kronos is the English spelling of it. Always has been. To get upset over the fact they used the English spelling of an alien planet so the non trek viewer would be able to actually understand just where the smeg they are is completely stupid in all honesty.

12 stasis pods failed in this film. Just like 12 pods failed in Space Seed. Is it a reference? I don't know. But it's nice that they did that research.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • fonz71fonz71 Member Posts: 346 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    one word.. and prolly the most obvious... Kaaaaaaaaaaaaahn!!!! :D
    Don't know why it says i'm an ARC user. i will never use that TRIBBLE Cryptic!
  • ufpterrellufpterrell Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Was nice to see the references to Trek films and series past. I spotted Praxis right away, and was a little confused since it shouldn't be in pieces yet. Nice to see the Akiraprise on Marcus' desk next to the older ships. Was also nice to see TMP admiral uniforms instead of the TOS dress uniforms, nice touch :).

Loved the film, despite some of it's short comings and a stupidly convenient plot device at the end. Can't wait for the Blu Ray release :D.
    Terrell.png

Looking for a dedicated Star Trek community? Visit www.ufplanets.com for details.
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ufpterrell wrote: »
    Was nice to see the references to Trek films and series past. I spotted Praxis right away, and was a little confused since it shouldn't be in pieces yet. Nice to see the Akiraprise on Marcus' desk next to the older ships. Was also nice to see TMP admiral uniforms instead of the TOS dress uniforms, nice touch :).
    t was probably a ticking timebomb and just went off early in this timeline. maybe the klingons had to increase production after nero walloped their fleet in the last one?
  • tlamstriketlamstrike Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The Vengeance's shipyard is a big squarish thing between Europa and Jupiter. A little nod to 2001.

Spock is assigned to the USS Bradbury, the USS Bradbury was mentioned in TNG.

72 Augments were recovered by the Enterprise in Space Seed. 72 Augments were in the torpedoes in ST:ID.

The crew try to pose as K'normians arms dealers. The K'normians were shown only once: in Star Trek The Motion Picture.

At the end of the film Kirk's doctor is listed as Philip Boyce, Pike's CMO in The Cage.
    My Romulan Liberated Borg character made it to Level 30 and beat the (old) Defense of New Romulus with the skill point bug. :D
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I came out of Into Darkness just overwhelmed (in a good way) by all the nods and references to classic Trek, so I figured it would be fun to list them all in one thread. I'll start by naming a few I noticed...

1. The NX on the Admiral's desk.
    2. The reference to Mudd.
    3. The reference to Nurse Chapel.
    4. Praxis (maybe)
    5. Someone here suggested the weird bald dude was Ruk. I think that's an interesting theory, so I'm including it here.

So what are some other nods you noticed? It can be references to any previous Trek (movies, TOS, TNG, anything).

Yet another thread about this, i wished people started using the search feature more often..
    A humble request: I know a lot of folks here hated the new movie, and that's fine. I appreciate that. I really do. That said, I humbly and respectfully ask that we don't turn this thread into another debate about the quality of Into Darkness. If it's cool with you guys, let's keep that debate in the threads specifically created for it and just use this one to list any nods we noticed. Thanks for being awesome.

request denied. the film and everything that comes with it is part and parcel of the whole thing, ignorant fanboys and haters alike.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The most obvious one for me was 72 peoplepedoes.

When Spock answers Harrison by saying there are 72 of the new torpedoes, it's a dead giveaway since that's a number lifted straight from space seed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The most obvious one for me was 72 peoplepedoes.

When Spock answers Harrison by saying there are 72 of the new torpedoes, it's a dead giveaway since that's a number lifted straight from space seed.

I think only people who watched Space Seed recently would have got that number.
    edited May 2013
    Yet another thread about this, i wished people started using the search feature more often..

request denied. the film and everything that comes with it is part and parcel of the whole thing, ignorant fanboys and haters alike.

FYI, before I posted this, I did a search for "Into Darkness Easter Eggs", "New Movie Easter Eggs", and "Easter Eggs."

None of them brought up a thread devoted to listing them. So I did actually use the search feature.

Secondly, so far literally every poster who has replied respected the request wonderfully.

I'm not sure what I've done wrong here. Just trying to have a fun discussion and I even searched for a duplicate thread before I posted this.
  • maarkeanmaarkean Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm not sure what I've done wrong here. Just trying to have a fun discussion and I even searched for a duplicate thread before I posted this.
    You did nothing wrong, that guys just trolling. Ignore him.

In one of the scenes on the bridge, on one of the background monitors you can see some of the Genesis planet effects from ST3 (when David and Saavik are scanning the planet).
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Section 31. Its not exactly an easter egg but it was a nice reference that a lot of people might now know about if you don't watch DS9.

FYI - Section 31 had a large storyline in the 4th season of 'Enterprise' as well.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • danquellerdanqueller Member Posts: 506 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    t was probably a ticking timebomb and just went off early in this timeline. maybe the klingons had to increase production after nero walloped their fleet in the last one?

Or, if the people writing the J.J. Universe are the kind of writers who are into ongoing effects from one movie to the next, with noticable but unexplained clues in each, it could be signs that the disruption of the timeline is causing far more wide-ranging changes on the universe than just a disruption of events. Such as making events that would have happened at some time in the future inexplicably happen much sooner, or even causing the timeline to distort, bringing events normally spaced decades apart into almost the same timeperiod.

But then, that's probably reading too much depth into the movies.
  • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    edited May 2013

FYI, before I posted this, I did a search for "Into Darkness Easter Eggs", "New Movie Easter Eggs", and "Easter Eggs."

None of them brought up a thread devoted to listing them. So I did actually use the search feature.

Secondly, so far literally every poster who has replied respected the request wonderfully.

You did nothing wrong.

The cracks are beginning to show in the seams of the armor the genners have thrown up to protect them from the Awesomeness of Into Darkness.

This causes them to lash out blindly trying to protect the Trek they were weaned on.

To do otherwise would open up the possibility that TOS and JJ Trek are far superior to any of the Next Gen era of Trek.

It's really only a matter of time before that house of cards collapses as even I as a fan of JJ Trek was totally blown away by Into Darkness.

As more and more people see the movie, the futile negative comments will fade away. We must just look down in pity upon the poor unfortunates that are curled around their Next Gen DVDs sipping Earl Grey and muttering, "Make it not so."
    edited May 2013
    Here are all the models seen on Marcus' desk

http://www.qmxonline.com/news/stid-history-of-starflight-models/

A bunch of props in Into Darkness were made my Quantum Machanix

http://www.qmxonline.com/news/qmx-offers-props-from-star-trek-into-darkness/
  • soundwisdomsoundwisdom Member Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I guess I'm one of the few that really didn't like most of the references. The khan moment rubbed me the wrong way. Almost as if JJ asked 'hey what are some classic moments in trek lets put them in here' and did a bullet point list and checked stuff off....

The only ones I caught and sat right was the model NX and the chapel nod. It wasn't up-front-in-your-face shouting HEY I KNOW TREK GUYS, and still got it across.
    edited May 2013
    I guess I'm one of the few that really didn't like most of the references. The khan moment rubbed me the wrong way. Almost as if JJ asked 'hey what are some classic moments in trek lets put them in here' and did a bullet point list and checked stuff off....

The only ones I caught and sat right was the model NX and the chapel nod. It wasn't up-front-in-your-face shouting HEY I KNOW TREK GUYS, and still got it across.

While I don't agree (I loved the references), I can certainly understand how you would feel that way. Especially with the Khan moment.

I loved it, but I do understand why some fans would've felt it was just too much.
  • hagar3hagar3 Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    How about the role reversal of spock and kirk from their scenes in Wrath of Khan. Also Carol Marcus from wrath of Khan
    In case no one can hear you...scream
    edited May 2013
    Chapel was also in Star Trek XI. McCoy calls for her in Sickbay when he sneaks Kirk on-board.
    edited May 2013
    tuskin67 wrote: »
    Chapel was also in Star Trek XI. McCoy calls for her in Sickbay when he sneaks Kirk on-board.

Yeah. Apparently she's been on the Enterprise from day one.

On a related note, it's not a nod to the shows, but I just loved that "cupcake" from the last movie was in this new one. I have no idea why, but I laughed when it showed him.
  • wildweasalwildweasal Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    While I don't agree (I loved the references), I can certainly understand how you would feel that way. Especially with the Khan moment.

I loved it, but I do understand why some fans would've felt it was just too much.

I have to admit when spock yelled kahn I was like oh no.......butt hen a prt of me was like that's pretty cool too I am conflicted
    3ondby_zpsikszslyx.jpg
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,008 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Scotty sabotages the Vengeance...In ST3 Scotty sabotages the Excelsior.
    Kirk is called to the Daystrom Institute after the attack on Star Fleet
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • kalel514kalel514 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Anyone else think the Klingon's wearing armor and helmets was a STO KHG type easter egg?
    edited May 2013
    kalel514 wrote: »
    Anyone else think the Klingon's wearing armor and helmets was a STO KHG type easter egg?

No, not at all.
  • bermanatorbermanator Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    khan5000 wrote: »

As Kirk says in the reboot, fairly certain that is standard procedure for an attack on Starfleet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    kalel514 wrote: »

Other way around. It's an homage from STO to the Klingons. Because they had the same armor style in the scene that ended up on the cutting room floor last time around, or so I was told.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    khan5000 wrote: »

Shouldn't Daystrom himself still be alive at this point in time?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]