test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Engineering Complex in Unreal Engine

truemalevolencetruemalevolence Member Posts: 44 Arc User
edited May 2013 in Ten Forward
Been working on my final project for university which was inspired by an unused concept piece for STO done by John Eaves found here: http://johneaves.files.wordpress.com

I've decided to create inside UDK and here's a fly though of the finished area, though probably could have done with some chairs or something.

http://youtu.be/WH4L5djJJLo
Post edited by truemalevolence on

Comments

• voicesdarkvoicesdark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    WTF WAS THAT????!!!!!!!!

Frak university, get your TRIBBLE down to California and you and Tacofangs make it so!!!!

Don't even know what else to say other than Holy shiit
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Looks very good to me. Got the core with the flow going. Then the pipes to channel it to nacelles. That looks like an engine room.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • scruffyvulcanscruffyvulcan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Very impressive!
  • superhombre777superhombre777 Member Posts: 147 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm impressed. Good job!
  • idronaidrona Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    That was awesome! :)
    signwidrona.png
  • johnstewardjohnsteward Member Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    great job

wouldnt mind seeing that quality ingame

maybe it's me but at some points there seemed to be something strange going on with the perspective but then again, its probably me ;)
  • tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    That looks amazing, you should plop an e-mail or something to John, I'm sure he'd love to see it.
  • allyoftheforceallyoftheforce Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    And once again, another example of why Unreal is the best there ever was, is and always will be. Only problem with it is that it will fall on deaf ears when we tell them to give up on their in house engine.
  • ftm0305ftm0305 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Been working on my final project for university which was inspired by an unused concept piece for STO done by John Eaves found here: http://johneaves.files.wordpress.com

I've decided to create inside UDK and here's a fly though of the finished area, though probably could have done with some chairs or something.

http://youtu.be/WH4L5djJJLo

Props.

You should contact Mr. Eaves and show him the video.
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited May 2013
  • rickeyredshirtrickeyredshirt Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Very impressive sir! :D
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Sweet baby Jesus STO would be awesome on the Unreal 4. Any of cryptics games would be.

You sir have made an exceptionally well done piece, congratulations and thank you.
  • truemalevolencetruemalevolence Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Props.

You should contact Mr. Eaves and show him the video.

I did post it to his blog as a reply to his original concept, seems it's still awaiting approval.

Thanks for all the comments.
  • sarlix1sarlix1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Very good. You have talent!
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited May 2013
    Nicely done.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • threat21threat21 Member Posts: 300
    edited May 2013
    taco, make sto look like this. get on it.
  • tlamstriketlamstrike Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    That is what a engine room should be in Trek. Very nice.
    My Romulan Liberated Borg character made it to Level 30 and beat the (old) Defense of New Romulus with the skill point bug. :D
  • norcaler2norcaler2 Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I can totally see that being the engine room for the Odyssey class.
  • deadspacex64deadspacex64 Member Posts: 565 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    very nice, and while this goes against the kudos from everyone else, i feel the following is necessary.

a few points, don't make non-uniform bump/normals maps/tesselation maps/displacement on the floor that isn't carpeting for any tech style flooring. while it looks spiffy, no ship or any technologically advanced race would have such an uneven surface. same for the walls that appear metal...this also saves in the texture dept. (if displacement shader, was unnecessary)

both should be smooth as glass, or if you want a tex for the floor use something that would give people traction, uniform in appearance. something you might actually find here on earth :p such as raised diamonds, small scalloped circles, etc.

no one (real world) wants bumpy metal for anything, it's weak, the rough surface creates potential fracture points, last thing you'd want in an engine room with such explosive power >.<

do love the lighting of and off the warp core however, first rate that :)
    Dr. Patricia Tanis ~ "Bacon is for sycophants and products of incest."
    Donate Brains, zombies in Washington DC are starving.
  • truemalevolencetruemalevolence Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    very nice, and while this goes against the kudos from everyone else, i feel the following is necessary.

a few points, don't make non-uniform bump/normals maps/tesselation maps/displacement on the floor that isn't carpeting for any tech style flooring. while it looks spiffy, no ship or any technologically advanced race would have such an uneven surface. same for the walls that appear metal...this also saves in the texture dept. (if displacement shader, was unnecessary)

both should be smooth as glass, or if you want a tex for the floor use something that would give people traction, uniform in appearance. something you might actually find here on earth :p such as raised diamonds, small scalloped circles, etc.

no one (real world) wants bumpy metal for anything, it's weak, the rough surface creates potential fracture points, last thing you'd want in an engine room with such explosive power >.<

do love the lighting of and off the warp core however, first rate that :)

It's fine I appreciate your feedback. Yeah I agree about the floor. The original plan was to with a vinyl type surface that was seen in TNG but it came out looking incredibly. After looking through elements of the environments in STO I quite liked the look of the brushed metal look.

One of first things that took some getting used to from my perspective is that I can unrwrap a model fine with proper UV's but in the case of creating a large modular environment was to use seamless repeating textures, which was a first for me.

In the beginning the surface was completely flat and it was decided to add a base bump map to it as well as the cube map reflection just hint at some detail.

But yes I think I should probably have tried the diamond metal plating to see how it would look.
  • rifter1969rifter1969 Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Very well done... my compliments to you sir.
  • solidsamsolidsam Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Oh myyyyyyy! That looks incredible, man. I'd love to see your work in a Star Trek game.
    Formerly known as Khannnnn
    "Spock, this 'child' is about to wipe out every living thing on Earth. Now, what do you suggest we do? Spank it?" -Commander Leonard 'Bones' McCoy, M.D.
  • yulianhuayulianhua Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    To go along with the floor texture comment, a so-called "coin grip" flooring material might work better (look for that term on Google Images for examples). A diamond plating might look too industrial for Starfleet's cleanliness.

One other thing I noticed is that the reflections on the Pool Table are odd. On the near end (as the camera approaches), the reflection of the warp core shows it to be to the left, then on the far end of the table, the warp core appears to be to the right, but in fact, the warp core is centered beyond the far end of the table. Not being all that familiar with the Unreal Engine, I don't know if these reflections are something that can be controlled, however -- I'm assuming they are pre-generated reflection maps applied to the Pool Table's surfaces?

Other than that, the whole thing looks amazing. I've always loved John Eaves' work, and 3D models based on his original drawings are always fun to see. :)
  • squatsaucesquatsauce Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Two things:

Thing the first - This is an excellent job! Technically speaking, this is really well done.

Thing the second - I never realized how odd the "engineering" section set was. It looks like an office building with a bunch of touch-screens all over the place and some sort of glowy art-deco piece in the middle. Everything's tucked neatly away behind carpeted wall panels. Vast amounts of empty space with no obvious use. It's so strange.
  • organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Wow.. that was very very impressive.

I wonder how a crewmember or even a Borg would look like with this engine..

Again, great job sir
  • symetreus69symetreus69 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    WOW. Absolutely AMAZING work! You deserve top marks :)
    Lifer since headstart!
  • voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeepic!
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,628 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Very well realized indeed. Awesome stuff.
  • lordmanzelotlordmanzelot Member Posts: 468 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    That looks like Star Trek Online :D
    Subscribed For: 2300+ Days