test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What do I do if I think my account has been compromised?

Comments

• matridunadan1matridunadan1 Member Posts: 579 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sjamesh wrote: »
    I got an email a while back saying my password had been stolen. Thankfully, I managed to change it in time though.
    That is the EXACT wording used?

*facepalms*
  • boggisboggis Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My ticket about my compromised account to PWE is now about a week old and I haven't heard anything about it yet. Can anyone tell me if that is the normal time it takes? I am a bit afraid that my ticket has gone into the great void.

Especially because every time after I submit one, the ticket category gets changed from "Customer Support, Compromised account" (or the like) to "Billing Support, ZEN Transfer". Which doesn't give me much confidence in how or if my ticket is going to be processed. The first time I created my ticket it even changed the product to "Neverwinter", and I'm the kind of guy who proof reads such forms before pressing the send button. Did anyone else have this problem? I'm currently using Chrome as a browser, if that might be a reason.
  • captpeacemakercaptpeacemaker Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    change your password

easy fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Thowchum
    Legendary Starfleet Captain
    Fleet Leader, The Abductors
    STO Forum Member since December 2010
    Welcome to Star Trek Online, where our motto is 'Peace through Superior Firepower.'
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    change your password

easy fix
    Regularly. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • probe1171probe1171 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Change the passkey
    edited May 2013
    change your password

easy fix

Was the first thing I did. I'm just still hoping to get a character rollback to before some of them were completely plundered. I surely would not grind all that stuff again.
    edited May 2013
    boggis wrote: »
    Was the first thing I did. I'm just still hoping to get a character rollback to before some of them were completely plundered. I surely would not grind all that stuff again.
    If you followed Brandon's instructions - which he posted 2 or 3 times in this thread - and Cryptic can see that it's an actual hack then you'll get most of your stuff restored.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
    edited May 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    If you followed Brandon's instructions - which he posted 2 or 3 times in this thread - and Cryptic can see that it's an actual hack then you'll get most of your stuff restored.

I stand corrected. In between the standard security advices I didn't notice the hint to write to a support email instead of using the ticket system (as advised in other posts). I have done so now.

Thanks for pointing me towards the right direction :)
  • etaniranetaniran Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've had the selected product changed after submitting as well; though in my case both games are affected anyway so it doesn't matter much.

I'm starting to get irked at still not having received a reply, however. I mean, my characters in STO were deleted, nut just plundered. I literally can't really play that anymore until it's resolved.
    edited May 2013
    etaniran wrote: »
    I've had the selected product changed after submitting as well; though in my case both games are affected anyway so it doesn't matter much.

I'm starting to get irked at still not having received a reply, however. I mean, my characters in STO were deleted, nut just plundered. I literally can't really play that anymore until it's resolved.

Ouch, sorry to hear that your chars even got deleted. I hope you'll get back everything. Right now I don't think I should play until the issue is resolved, too. Though my chars are still there I expect some kind of rollback to an older state. By the way, the confirmation mail for the ticket I sent via email got the catagories "Billing Support, ZEN transfer", too. Either the support is using the same malfunctioning webform or all requests about compromised accounts get automatically transfered to this categories on purpose although there is an explicit option for compromised accounts.
    edited May 2013
    Thanks for the sympathy.

Actually, my tickets did not get recategorized to ZEN & such - only the game changed. I'm using Firefox; and the entire webform was behaving oddly. No idea why they aren't using normal form classes.
  • dkeith2011dkeith2011 Member Posts: 595 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    A friend of mines account was compromised yesterday, damage to the fleet was minimal but he is completely locked out of his account.

PWE/Cryptic needs to improve account security immediately.
    edited May 2013
    Well, my characters were restored now, as were my missing mail items including that Galor I kept in there. \o/

BUT.

I'm still missing all energy credits, all dillithium, all astral diamonds on NW, and all of my ZEN points.

*sigh*

Reopened the ticket. I'm getting more and more disappointed in Cryptic support.
  • denethore1969denethore1969 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Same thing happened to me, three years down the drain, but I happy to hear someone got their characters back aleast. it gives me hope.
  • beencompromisedbeencompromised Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    6 days and hearing crickets from PWE...
    edited May 2013
    6 days and hearing crickets from PWE...

Still nothing here, too. I guess the whole support staff is moved to Neverwinter to fix the tragedy that is happening there.
    edited May 2013
    Considering I am lacking stuff in Neverwinter too... Nah, no different.
  • beencompromisedbeencompromised Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    boggis wrote: »
    Still nothing here, too. I guess the whole support staff is moved to Neverwinter to fix the tragedy that is happening there.

my guess is they fired the Cryptic support staff and they have a total of 10 people responding to emails for over a quarter of a million players.
    edited May 2013
    my guess is they fired the Cryptic support staff and they have a total of 10 people responding to emails for over a quarter of a million players.
    Support is handled by PWE, not Cryptic - and the Support staff covers all 14 of PWE's games. Beyond that, if you're TRIBBLE you're not supposed to send in a standard Ticket. Brandon has posted a couple of different times how you're supposed to do it above. Also, Support doesn't work on weekends,so when someone's talking about sending in a ticket 5 days ago, that's only 3 work day and the end-of-day today.
    edited May 2013
    I sent in ticket and email, and the email was handled precisely the same, minus the obvious categorisation.

Still, they failed to restore everything. Half-arsed job, after 5 days of waiting.
  • needhelp1973needhelp1973 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Better that what ive had, 16 days and still no response,
    edited May 2013
    And still waiting.

At least I can make a romulan now, though I'm wary to touch my to-be-fully-restored characters. Hrrrrn.
    edited May 2013
    And STILL waiting.

*sigh*

Anyone gotten a _full_ restore yet?
  • tarantatsuuchitarantatsuuchi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm waiting on a response to my ticket that isn't an automated 'high volume of tickets' message.
  • equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,300 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    edited May 2013
    Still waiting. Not a word. Joy joy.
    edited May 2013
    Still waiting. Not a word. Joy joy.

What are you waiting for? I thought you said you got your characters back?

They wont refund any currency as you could have faked the hack yourself.

(Not saying you did, but thats the policy I believe.)
    edited May 2013
    They better do. They lost my money, they damn well pay it back. They'd be less forced to restore characters than currencies with a monetary equivalent. It'd be like a bank refusing to pay you out after a robbery since you could have staged the robbery yourself.
    edited May 2013
    They better do. They lost my money, they damn well pay it back. They'd be less forced to restore characters than currencies with a monetary equivalent. It'd be like a bank refusing to pay you out after a robbery since you could have staged the robbery yourself.

Just a word of warning, dont try to do any charge backs to get your money back you will be automatically banned :(
    edited May 2013
    If this doesn't get solved, I could live with that. No point in playing if thats the way they handle support.