test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

give double romulan rep to romulan chars

ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
Instead of rewarding 800/2000 rep points, give 1600/4000 rep points, so they can get through the rep system twice as fast.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Sure, when there is a Federation reputation tree, Feddies should get 2x the rep gains on that too. Same for Klingon. Absolutely.
  • Options
    umaekoumaeko Member Posts: 748 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'd actually be kind of on-board with this. Though maybe for other reasons.

Doing the grind doesn't bother me. Having to do so for 50 days or so does.

I'd be onboard to seeing reputation projects that would hold higher costs, so to provide with greater reputation gains. It's doable: just doing the space daily patrols in Tau Dewa gives 60 romulan marks and some gear we can vendor to pruchase the commodities required to complete projects, so, if there was a project that would actually use up those 60 marks I'd be pretty okay with it.

I don't mind the effort to reach it. But with all the hype tied to the Romulans, I'm not interested in languishing for nearly 2 months after having reached max level to get the build I'd like to obtain (which I'd have to pay for).

So, if there could be an account unlock of the likes of "if you've reached Tier 5 in this reputation, you gain access to an extra contribution progress", I'd be happy.
  • Options
    bunansabunansa Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Actually considering that they make Remans a account wide unlock with the first captain to achieve tier 5 romulan rep...why not just make the entire system account wide????

WE still have to earn the marks/dilithium for any unlocks, but at least make the overall system account wide (like lobi...hint hint)
    tumblr_ndmkqm59J31r5ynioo2_r2_500.gif

• Options
    neok182neok182 Member Posts: 551 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    bunansa wrote: »
    Actually considering that they make Remans a account wide unlock with the first captain to achieve tier 5 romulan rep...why not just make the entire system account wide????

+1. I've felt like that since the start of the reputation system, really should be account wide.

As far as the OT goes, this is probably the best solution i've seen mentioned. not just a greedy one, this one actually makes sense. Just double rep to help you get there faster.

I'd even be fine if they doubled the requirements so it still costs the same, but you get there in half the time.
    ACCESS DENIED
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    The proposal is based on role-play of the character. Characters from other factions can keep clicking, its not hard, dont cry about it here. The problem is with the Romulan toons--you're the hero of Romulan Republic and they make you get in the same line as your old enemies. It's just silly. Do you trust me or not? Give 2x the rep gains to link the faction identity.
  • Options
    sparhawksparhawk Member Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited May 2013

WE still have to earn the marks/dilithium for any unlocks, but at least make the overall system account wide (like lobi...hint hint)

This. The original idea wasn't bad either, but we really need account level reputation unlocks. It will only get worse for players as they add more reputations to the game.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    sparhawk wrote: »
    we really need account level reputation unlocks
    No actually we do not need non-combat alts to be running around in Mk XII rep gear.

This proposal is about increasing faction identity, that's all
  • Options
    sparhawksparhawk Member Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    No actually we do not need non-combat alts to be running around in Mk XII rep gear.

We obviously won't agree on this so I won't waste time arguing over it. I did already say I liked your original idea though.
  • Options
    alikainalikain Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Question why should Romulan player need a reputation system for their own faction while the other two faction Federation the KDF don't have a reputation system for their faction. But get their high end stuff from their faction.
    "You ask why we give our ships computer normal emotions. Do you really want a warship incapable of loyalty?"
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    alikain wrote: »
    Question why should Romulan player need a reputation system for their own faction while the other two faction Federation the KDF don't have a reputation system for their faction. But get their high end stuff from their faction.
    I dont know, the whole thing is wonky to me
    Bwah?

Non-combat alts?

How does a character advance in this game avoiding combat? Is there a feature I'm missing?
    To answer your question, exploration missions will take you all the way to VA. But that's not what happens, rather people make alts to grind dilithium
  • Options
    sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Speaking on behalf of my Own Romulans (currently in tribble test limbo)
    We don't trust ourselves and D'tan DEFINATELY should not trust us as we are both planing on setting him on fire
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    ladymyajhaladymyajha Member Posts: 1,427 Arc User
    edited May 2013

So let me get this straight.

You're willing to give the Romulan's an unequal advantage in the Romulan rep system, because of the storyline (which I agree with)

But you're against having an account wide unlock, which would make it fair to all players, because you don't want non-combat players wondering around in useless (to them since they don't do combat) MK XII stuff, due to asthetics?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Reputation is your char's reputation with the faction. It's not the reputation of your dil-grinding alts, its the reputation for the chars that have actually earned sweat equity with the faction, as represented by the faction marks that are awarded.

Now, your Romulan char should have a good reputation with the Romulan Republic already--you earned it during the campaign. But, the reputation gear is so much better than the regular Mk XII gear, it is hard to justify this much of a jump. So, a compromise, is to let them rank up twice as fast: let them get level 1 in a single day instead of two days, let them get level 2 in three days instead of a week.

All the other chars still need to earn it, since they have not proven themselves yet.
  • Options
    nadiezjanadiezja Member Posts: 629 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I wouldn't be opposed to a small mark reward for completing Romulan story missions - maybe 5 or so marks per mission. This could be rewarded to allied characters who teamed with Romulans to run missions together, and, perhaps, even for KDF and Federation story missions where the primary foe was an enemy of the Republic - in particular, the Tal'shiar and, when they finally make their appearance, the Iconians.
  • Options
    qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The only edge I could see Romulans having with the Romulan rep system is adding some Romulan marks to their episode missions, at least the ones directly linked to supporting New Romulus in any way. :)
  • Options
    colonelchenchuancolonelchenchuan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Bwah?

Non-combat alts?

How does a character advance in this game avoiding combat? Is there a feature I'm missing?

I have a mule toon that never left the acadamy map and got to 50 simply by doffing. (had to do a mission or 2 to get to the level you can doff but really the toon more or less stood in one spot)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    fataiityx3fataiityx3 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited May 2013

You gotta be kidding me. M.A.C.O. and Omega type XII means nothing to me. All of my bridge officers are in Adapted Maco (XII),Omega XII, and Standard Maco XII. Both of those armor sets are so common I normally run around in the Starbase uniform. In fact on my main character I use a mix of type 3 armors because the rest are so common. (Type 3 is a unlock once you have all STF missions and bonus done in Elite). Heck I would like to be able to tailor Type 3 armor onto my boffs as well.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    qjunior wrote: »
    The only edge I could see Romulans having with the Romulan rep system is adding some Romulan marks to their episode missions, at least the ones directly linked to supporting New Romulus in any way. :)

I LIKE THIS

There is a larger topic to this though and its their new "grind" system. Thats what turns most new players off and sends old players packing...like even after you grind thru the levels its grind grind grind for the stuff you can finally buy.

Basically I was "done" with STFs and Nukara and then they created these rep systems. So as far as omega goes it was just clicking the mission everyday but was a waste of time and resources to get back to where I was. I probably wont even bother with the new Nukara. Not wasting my time for 5 marks here, 10 marks here.

It makes it very unappealing to start new toons like if you wanted to try being SCI.

I have literally STOPPED playing the game because of LoR because I know that Im about to have to grind grind grind and just have no motivation to play my current toons.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Sure, when there is a Federation reputation tree, Feddies should get 2x the rep gains on that too. Same for Klingon. Absolutely.

Isn't that what the Omega systems are? I mean Omega, MACO and Klingon Honor Guard items are all very faction specific in their flavor.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There is a larger topic to this though and its their new "grind" system. Thats what turns most new players off and sends old players packing...like even after you grind thru the levels its grind grind grind for the stuff you can finally buy.

I have to agree with that one. I certainly haven't seen the supposedly reduced grinding the Rep system was going to result in, though the 100% chance of getting whatever gear you want is nice. Charging dilithium for the Rep Store unlocked items is one part of it, as is the cooldowns... after all, it I wipe out 1000 Borg Cubes in one day I will certainly make a name for myself. Having to also bribe the various factions with stuff from merchant runs is just as silly, since committing xenocide against the Borg or Tholians should really suffice in and of itself.

Really, though, this is all a bit off-topic. As far as the main subject goes, why not have the Romulans get a bonus to Romulan Rep? I agree entirely that this makes sense. At the same time, both the Federation and Klingons should be getting bonuses to Omega Rep since they are among the founders of the Omega Task Force... <SPOILER> and if you played the Episodes you know that your captain was instrumental in its formation.
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited May 2013

this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The romulan story missions should give a little romulan marks upon completion.... like 50 marks on first time, 25 marks on replays?
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • Options
    gpgtxgpgtx Member Posts: 1,579 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    another idea i had was instead of opening it up at 50 for romulan toons open it up as soon as you find new romulus so you can start dumping in and earning marks at lvl 9-ish (depending on subscriber day bonus and other XP bonuses)

not a huge edge as you can lvl to 50 in a day
    victoriasig_zps23c45368.jpg
  • Options
    cifer2020cifer2020 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I really don't want to grind up marks all over again. Hopefully someone at Cryptic is reading this thread.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    cifer2020 wrote: »
    I really don't want to grind up marks all over again. Hopefully someone at Cryptic is reading this thread.

Ive more or less abandoned a toon that still needed Rom/Omega because of this release. I'll only grind this stuff out one more time.

The entire grind system - err rep system - has made new toons so unattractive and leads to faster burn-out of the game as a whole.

Something that was a "cryptic" trademark for the longest time was "alt-itis". The rep system pretty much dug that grave.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Probably waaaaaaaay to late. but how about if when we hit level 50 we get a reward of X number of Marks. Similar to who we got an Omega mark pack when that hit. We still had to fill the projects but at least we didnt have to grind out the marks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    dragon47dragon47 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Another idea would be when a Romulan faction captain reaches level 50, they're granted a bonus pool of rep points which would equal to half of the amount of points needed to reach Tier 2 (7500) or 3 (16,250), essentially earning double rep points until the pool is exhausted (much like we can find the expertise/skill/etc bonus point consumable items) That way, they'd still have to work at gaining tiers, but they get some sort of compensation for the work they did making New Romulus more secure.

As an alternative, when a Romulan captain reaches 50, give them a consumable item with the same amount of points to use at their discretion.

Either way, they would still have to earn the marks and provide the other items necessary to climb the ladder, but the more tedious part would be mitigated somewhat.
  • Options
    chaosgod777chaosgod777 Member Posts: 237 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I personally like the idea of account wide system leveling. Not unlocks...just leveling. store unlocks must be a per character thing, but given the amount of repeation of these projects and how long it takes not to mention the level of grinding to get there it makes sense to open it up account wide. that way you have more players enjoying doing PvE content on more alts instead of "T5 rep...I'm done....New toon? Your mental!" i personally have 18 alts that do nothing but sit around and dont get touched anymore because of this system.

And as for this whole worry of non-combat alts getting top end gear. Why not? it's not like anyone uses them in combat if their non-combat, its those combat alts I'd be wondering about. Oh forbid that players who worked their TRIBBLE off once have to do it again just to get an alt up to spec, possibily contributing something to their faction in the process. example... I went into a vault ensnared yesterday, 4 people went right I went left, I cleared 7 ships they cleared 3 in the same ammount of time. To make it worse when the cap ships warpped in I soloed the named before they got one of the Recluses down and proceded to go help them. I dont ever want to see that again! I might as well have solo'd the PvE. i would love to have had a good team with decent weapons and knew what they were doing. More over its a tripple grind anyway. Marks, rep levels, and dilithium. so lets knock out 1 of the big 3.

in keeping with the topic at hand I cant see why after saving the new romulan homeworld that they should even grind rep to begin with. Congrats your a hero! now earn our trust!? Romulans should start with this maxed or at about tier 3 or 4 if they start with it at all. what they need is a faction allied rep like fed/kdf to replace it. arn't they who were suposed to be impressing here?!
  • Options
    wufangchuwufangchu Member Posts: 778 Arc User
    edited May 2013

in keeping with the topic at hand I cant see why after saving the new romulan homeworld that they should even grind rep to begin with. Congrats your a hero! now earn our trust!? Romulans should start with this maxed or at about tier 3 or 4 if they start with it at all. what they need is a faction allied rep like fed/kdf to replace it. arn't they who were suposed to be impressing here?!

You equate reputation with trust. It's ok. Its totally human but it's ok.. The Romulans arent ( in my opinion ) quite so Naive. They've had more than their share of glory hounds willing to create a great reputation only to turn out to be nothing but low life scum. In regards to the RRW, you are a hero and so much more. You should have all the honors and reputation allowed a hero of the republic, but that shouldnt indicate your worthy of trust. Trust should have to be earned, not through grinding, but through the story line, and it should carry on much further than level 50. I rather doubt however that cryptic has the intellegence or capability of writing something so subtle. they blew their creative wad with the city on the edge of never, and i havent seen anything original since. Adding to the mix is the existance of Never Winter Nights. Its the new shiny toy on Cryptics plate and theyre main focus at this time. We're getting pushed aside to be abandoned..
    wraith_zps7pzgamff.jpg