test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

In to Darkness was a great movie!

erraberrab Member Posts: 1,428 Arc User
edited May 2013 in Ten Forward
In to Darkness was the 1st Star Trek movie that my Daughter has ever seen on the big screen and she said she loved did :)

I loved it too :D

Say what you will; JJ is exposing many that have never seen or had any interest in it to Star Trek and I'm grateful.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by errab on

Comments

• Options
    buccaneerdtbbuccaneerdtb Member Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I agree. Good movie, and much better than Iron Man 3 IMO.
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Saw it today. I enjoyed it a lot, especially the parallels to militarization and terrorism that are present today. It did have quite a few throwbacks to
    The Wrath of Khan
    , some of them a bit blatant. But still, the story was good and the acting better. I'll hold off on a more thorough review until I can see it again, either in the theater or when it comes out on DVD.
    I teared up a little when McCoy brought the tribble back to life.:DAnd when Spock screamed "KHAN"!
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It Was Greaaaat!!!!
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    rvlion79rvlion79 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I saw the first 10 minutes of the less then legal online cinema version... I heared the name Kirk, Spock, Ahura and saw that engineer and I thought OMG... Prequel for TOS !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I have a general dislike for TOS. :)
  • Options
    hartzillahartzilla Member Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I liked it.
  • Options
    aleaicaleaic Member Posts: 352 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I loved it.

My wife loved it.

My daughter especially loved it.

The third movie has some work to match this one. The TOS feel along with WoK was captured magnificently. (Where's my Blu-Ray copy already!!)
  • Options
    lostcause212lostcause212 Member Posts: 160 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think it was good, although the plot does assume you're up to speed on the lore a bit too often.

Although to quote my brother on one particular scene:
    "It was actually quite touching until he screamed 'KHAAAAAAAN!'"
    yjIzVE9.png
  • Options
    pmadi32382pmadi32382 Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As a film to just grab a bag of popcorn and watch this sequel along with the first JJ movie are great fun to watch. My issue though is that it is trying to tell a story with characters and events we already know and just saying well what if it happened this way instead.

I would much rather in both movies have a new cast of characters, either from novels or just something original. As a fan of Star Trek, the little nods that Abrams makes to the original show and films doesn't make it sentimental for me, it makes it feel lazy and redone.

As far as I know Star Trek isn't a comic book series, like Superman or Batman which gets remade over and over, there is a certain theme that feels like it runs through the shows and movies. These recent movies are using characters that we know and turning them into a 20 something sitcom.

Obviously everyone will have their own opinions about this movie and the previous one, and as I said as just a film to watch and enjoy it gets high marks, but this movie and the 2009 reboot could just as easily be any sci-fi series, just take away the character names and it doesn't "feel" like Star Trek. I couldn't tell you what Star Trek "looks" and "feels" like either but I know it when I see it, and these movies just don't have that same appeal to me.
  • Options
    baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i liked both jj movies, solid action movies. i can understand that hardcore trek fans aren't capable of enjoying such movies, since they are not in any shape or form like old trek movies. And that is good, for the rest of the audience.

actors are great, plot is ok for an action movie, effects are incredible...interior of the ship is amazing, the indutrial look of the engi and shuttlebay section is in my opinion amazingly authentic (though the outer shape i don't like) and the bridge is awesome.

the design of the cities, london, san francisco...amazing.

i think jj abrams will make some great star wars movies...he is a great director when it comes to visualisation and action
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    baudl wrote: »
    the design of the cities, london, san francisco...amazing.

I'm not so sure; A few token glimpses of St. Paul's Cathedral and some Union Flags as set dressing didn't sell me on the idea that those scenes were taking place in London.
    yjIzVE9.png
  • Options
    zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    tldr:

STXI, was a like a Pilot movie to a Series and i wasn't sure if i liked it.
    Comics, Videogame made the new stuff grow on me / got used to it.
    STXII, was just what JJ-Trek needed to validate all the other stuff.

i wasn't sure if i liked the JJ-Trek after the first movie.

i went out of the cinema and really did NOT know what to think of it.

it had things i was pi**ed about it had things that were awesome.

all the Plotholes got explained away over time.

- Transwarp Beaming, did not like that one at all, but there was a TNG episode where Bok did it, so... i guess the Tech was out there when Prime Spock came back just not widely used because things can go wrong... like beaming into a solid object (as Scotty did).
    - Faster than Light - Hobus Nova, got explained away by Star Trek Online, more or less successfully.
    - Red Matter... used 3 times, reacting differently every time -> i still don't like this plot device, but if you think about it as a kind of chemical reaction, the red matter could react differently with a Subspace Nova than it would otherwise. It's not like this is real science this stuff is make belief anyway so whatever.

so the things that REALLY bothered me got explained away, the nerdy nitpicky stuff... whatever i have to ignore it in favor of having fun with the movie. (don't like the bridge, don't like engineering, warpocore ejection etc. etc.)

also

after reading the comics and playing that gorn videogame (despite the press and the internet teaming up to bash it down more than it deserves)

...i got used to the crew and setting a bit more, i got used to the art style a lot more (i have more problems with the unreadable non-information that is displayed on all the computer monitors, only to make it look cool, than i have with any of the lens flares or shaky cam by now).

there are a few things i choose to ignore, others i got used to and accept them for what they are.
    JJ-Trek will never live up to the realism TNG had (for me) but it does not have to.
    TNG is TNG and JJ-Trek is JJ-Trek.
    They are connected to each other in a very obscure timetravel way, but they are completely different products.

I was never a TOS fan, the TMP movies were good but i never really liked the Series.
    I hated the idea of a prequel for TOS when ENT started and i didn't like the idea to reboot TOS, i want them to go FORWARD, what happens after Voyager and Nemesis is what i want to see (thats the main reason i play STO).

With all of that, when i watched Into Darkness, i really was able to enjoy it because i went past the confusion about the first movie by now.

There were a few *ugh* and *meh* moments... like in every other movie in existence, but all in all i really liked how they played with their new Universe, IMHO it really EARNED the "alternate universe" title this time around.

What i didn't like was Cumberbatch, his acting was just fine, but they did such an amazing job re-casting the TOS crew, why is he looking nothing like the original?
    I really had to ignore the visual discrepancy here to accept him as who he was supposed to be... and imho HE was not the real evil in this movie and that is the only reason it really worked for me, i actually started to LIKE the guy and wanted Kirk and him to become friends... but oh well turns out he was as evil as in the other universe after all... can't go too alternate universe on it or it becomes a mirror universe ...i guess?

oh and... i hated the Transwarp Beaming stuff in the last one, in this one it was used again as a plot device AND to let Scotty's Character grow, the persistent use of it validated the use of it in the first one even more for me.
    It was not just a throw-away plot device to get them on the Enterprise, the TECH exists now, it is out there and it has real consequences, yet it probably is a well guarded secret and won't make it out of the confiscated archives (again), so i can totally see why it wasn't common used tech in the TNG era.

...on the other hand, it is totally OP tech, why not just use transwarp transporters to beam a few nukes on Qo'nos and wipe it off the map from a safe distance?
    Long Range Torpedoes seem a bit outdated against Transwarp Beaming... but that is probably overthinking it too much again.

But the STXIII needs to go above and beyond rehashing old Ideas.
    In 2 movies they went from before the first episode of TOS to Wrath of Khan, the only thing left to do would be to redo The Undiscovered Country, so the next one needs to be all about Klingons. But imho that would be rehashing the old movies too much at that point and people would get bored of it. So i say, make the next one something new that was never seen in any form or shape within TOS / TMP.

Compared to Batman, they now had Batman Begins and the Dark Knight including the Joker (as in: BEST VILLAIN OF THIS FRANCHISE EVER), after that it can only go downhill from there unless they can come up with some fresh ideas that work just as well.

...but i really think they will do stuff with Klingons next. Maybe undiscovered country style, maybe full DS9 style War. They've build up the Klingons enough now, they got to do something huge with them now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    SPOILERS IN THIS POST

I really did love the film. I thought it was incredibly enjoyable. The fx looked superb, humour was good, some great interactions of the cast. Some nice fan service, some moral issues to think about and quite a bit of emotion and soul. everything just worked for me.

now there were some plot holes. Here comes the spoilers.

why was the enterprise in the ocean at all?

The fact that they had Khan being played by a white guy did irk me. I'm quite happy to have him in the movie, as he is a great villain that was only made better in my view, but the fact he does not look like khan did bother me.

maybe when they changed his identity they did cosmetic changes as well? sort of like finding Napolean in a statis tube. some people will know what he looks like, so if he is your secret agent you change his appearance? i would have liked if they explained that.

the whole transwarp beaming thing, although its actually dawned on me what it was. in the first film i thought they just made a mistake as it was about beaming into a ship at warp, not so much about the distance, and they just got their distance wrong. but as the dominion used very long range tech, and after scotty was recovered in the 24th century, he could have used the info to make the feds their own version. it just becomes too powerful a piece of tech though if you can beam all round the galaxy in seconds.

the ending with the wrath of khan switch, i actually enjoyed. to a new fan it feels brand new but its a nod to the old fans. i get why some will hate it, and maybe they should not have done it, but i still quite enjoyed it for what it was.
  • Options
    twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm going to wait until it's on Blue Ray so I can be free from the big screen shock and awe. Then I can view it based on it's quality instead of mistaking quality for the sensory overload I experienced in the theater.

You'd surprised how many films lose their impact when they're not yelling in your ear. It's how I realized that The Avengers was just sort of okay. Like a Xena episode with better effects.
    <3
  • Options
    scruffyvulcanscruffyvulcan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    errab wrote: »
    In to Darkness was the 1st Star Trek movie that my Daughter has ever seen on the big screen and she said she loved did :)

I loved it too :D

Say what you will; JJ is exposing many that have never seen or had any interest in it to Star Trek and I'm grateful.

My 60 year old mother and her granddaughter (my niece) went to watch it together and both loved it. Both of them are now huge fans of Star Trek and both of them have crushes on Captain Kirk. Of course, my mother likes young Shatner and my niece likes Pine.

Two females - three generations apart - now share a love of Star Trek. I think that's awesome.

Now my mom and niece plan to watch the series together because my niece wants more Trek.

The studio hired Abrams to revitalize the franchise. I think that's exactly what has happened here.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    SPOILERS IN THIS POST

The fact that they had Khan being played by a white guy did irk me. I'm quite happy to have him in the movie, as he is a great villain that was only made better in my view, but the fact he does not look like khan did bother me.

Although an Indian being played by a white guy is really just as wrong as an Indian being played by a Mexican as in TOS.
    yjIzVE9.png
  • Options
    maxdredmaxdred Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    SPOILERS

I really loved this film, especially as a DS9 fan. The plot would have made a good DS9 episode. Section 31, conspiracies, corruption within Starfleet, building up to war, designing ships purely for battle, characters being manipulated, Section 31 recruiting augments. Even the way Admiral Marcus said he was ready to die to protect the Federation's way of life was similar to Sloan's last words. Watch the DS9 episodes Paradise Lost and Inter Arma Silent Leges to see what I mean.
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    SPOILERS
    Although an Indian being played by a white guy is really just as wrong as an Indian being played by a Mexican as in TOS.

yes and no. he more or less looked the part though. We dont know his family tree. He could have mixed parents or Khans family could have originated from mexico, but he was born and raised in Indian and was an indian citizen for all we know. Its not overly important but now that it is the established look.

having Benedict who is as white as humanly possible just seems like dodgy casting (it feels like they got the best actor they could over who looked right). Even if he had a sun tan it would have helped the illusion that he is meant to be the same man.

it sort of throws me as I still dont fully believe he is khan. I keep expecting some plot twist to come.
  • Options
    startrek1234567startrek1234567 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    JJ's movies from scale from 1 to 10, i would say a 8.

Although i did not like it as much a the original films and episodes, i must say i was impressed. When I first saw it, for a few days after(BTW i saw it the first day it came out in America), i was like, so much action, so little dialogue in both movies, then i watched Trek 2009 again and thought about Into darkness again, and i was like, wait, there is a good amount of dialogue, there was just so much action i was blinded from the dialogue originally.

I loved the villain Khan in this movie was way better than Nero too.

Again, I give JJ's movie a 7-8 out of 10. I was impressed.
  • Options
    tlamstriketlamstrike Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is kinda hard to say but: I liked it.

The last one I felt was horrible. But Into Darkness corrected lots of the faults. I'm not going to go in to detail because of spoilers but it took a lot of the existing Trek lore (both hard and soft canon) and made a film of it with respect.

I think it was good, although the plot does assume you're up to speed on the lore a bit too often.
    Actually I think that was one of the best parts. Way back when Star Trek was 1st conceived, Gene made the decision that unlike other Sci Fi that he would not spell out every plot and tech detail to the audience (think old school Lost in Space). He believed that the audience could fill in the gaps, personally I like a movie that does not need to talk down to me.
    My Romulan Liberated Borg character made it to Level 30 and beat the (old) Defense of New Romulus with the skill point bug. :D
  • Options
    bermanatorbermanator Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    tlamstrike wrote: »
    Actually I think that was one of the best parts. Way back when Star Trek was 1st conceived, Gene made the decision that unlike other Sci Fi that he would not spell out every plot and tech detail to the audience (think old school Lost in Space). He believed that the audience could fill in the gaps, personally I like a movie that does not need to talk down to me.

Also, any time when anything is explained (Qo'noS), is when it's pertinent that all of the audience knows what it is they're talking about.

Things like Tribbles, Mudd, and more are not relevant to the core of the plot (and. therefore, do not need to be explained)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    pegasuscicpegasuscic Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    SPOILERS IN THIS POST

the ending with the wrath of khan switch, i actually enjoyed. to a new fan it feels brand new but its a nod to the old fans. i get why some will hate it, and maybe they should not have done it, but i still quite enjoyed it for what it was.

I'm with you on this, I don't see it a rehash or lazy plot point like some fanboys who can't get a grip. I look at this role reversal as just that, a role reversal. JJ Trek is an alternate timeline, not a full blown reboot of the franchise. So it stands to reason that though some events are sped up, altered, etc, that the characters are still the same. JJ Spock and JJ Kirk are still original Spock and original Kirk, and that in this instance they would indeed act the same or say same things even though roles are reversed. It also stands to reason that certain events in this alternate timeline would also mimic events from the standard timeline. Call it fate, Manifest Destiny or whatever you want.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "There's a reason you separate military and the police. One fights the enemies of the state, the other serves and protects the people. When the military becomes both, then the enemies of the state tend to become the people."-Commander William Adama
  • Options
    edited May 2013

It didn't bother me at all. Trek fans are simply under the false assumption, due to Ricardo Montelban playing Khan, that Khan is supposedly "Indian". In fact the title/surname Khan is attributed more to Persians/Arabs and to some Mongols(Kubla, Genghis). So if you really wanted to get down to the nitty gritty, Khan being "Indian" was really wrongly portrayed way back in the 60s. He very well could, or maybe even should, have just been an arab or an asian fellow. Even Khan's backstory never said he was from India, until the "out of canon" novels put forth the whole "he's Indian" thing. All TOS had ever established(and JJ Trek never really got around too) was that he was simply a conqueror of Asia to the Arab lands who is from Asia during the Eugenics Wars.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "There's a reason you separate military and the police. One fights the enemies of the state, the other serves and protects the people. When the military becomes both, then the enemies of the state tend to become the people."-Commander William Adama
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I really enjoyed the whole experience. The film was very good and solid. For me, the best part happened after the film. As my daughter and I were walking out, she began asking questions about the opening sequence and what the Prime Directive was. As I started explaining it, some other twentysomethings came by and stopped to listen. They began asking questions as well. For these people, Star Trek is something new and different. They knew about it, sure, but ST:ID was their first direct contact with something which has been in my life for so long, I've come to take it for granted a bit. Next thing I know, we're all in the pizza place across the parking lot, still talking about Star Trek. My daughter and I made some new friends and I got to introduce a few new fans to something I've enjoyed since TOS was still on the air. JJ stated in an interview once one of his goals was trying to introduce Star Trek to a whole new group of fans.

Well played, Mr. Abrams. Well played, indeed.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    LOL is all I have to say

This film was awful
    JtaDmwW.png
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    jam3s1701 wrote: »
    LOL is all I have to say

This film was awful

People spoiled this film 2 weeks or more before it released. Yet you apparently still went to see it? If "JJ ruined Trek" as you say, why did you waste probably at least $10 bucks to see it? I just don't get why people who whine and gripe about "JJ Trek" still go see the films. It has to be just so they can gripe and whine.
  • Options
    eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I loved the movie and will be planning on seeing another theatre showing.

Well, he's need to see it three or four more times to write the ten page review on why the new movie sucks, with every nitpicky item. Then he will spend the next three years blanketing the net with his hate and thread bomb with his review on every forum that remotely has someone says I like the new film.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I love the tears of the Trekkies, it gives me strength, and Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory.Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me. :D
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,984 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    rvlion79 wrote: »
    I saw the first 10 minutes of the less then legal online cinema version... I heared the name Kirk, Spock, Ahura and saw that engineer and I thought OMG... Prequel for TOS !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I have a general dislike for TOS. :)

This is SO sad.

You are missing out on what Star Trek really is about.

TOS and JJ Trek are it.

Not all that boring Next Gen drek.

I urge you to watch the remastered TOS, although it will turn you off from NG.
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is SO sad.

Awww man, I was sooooo hoping after reading that first sentence that you were going to take that poster to task for completely misspelling Uhura.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]