test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What has your PC performance been like on Tribble ?

aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
Having read tacofangs's interesting post about the texture update in STO , my meandering thoughts went back to the occasional fan noise I heard from my PC during my recent stay on Tribble (mind you I spent a lot of time in the character creation UI) , so I thought to ask the more computer savvy folks out there :

Is the "new" STO on Tribble more PC friendly (performance / demand wise) or less ?
Please note that I'm interested to know about both CPU and graphics card performance , if possible in the following categories :

Idle , combat , character selection , character creator , map transfer .
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• aevlomaevlom Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My PC is nearing upgrade time (AMD Phenom II X4 945 (Black) 3.0GHz, and an Nvidia GeForce GTX 460), but I have no issues or slowdowns even running in windowed mode.
  • voicesdarkvoicesdark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    When I designed and built my comp I went for excessive overkill so even remotely had issues running it.

But to answer your question. The texture redo and the new UI are more optimized the the previous ones on holodeck. You might not have really noticed it yet on tribble, but wait until you get into the really large battles, that's where you'll see the bug difference. Of course for now with the server issues and it being tribble you probably won't really notice the difference until the live launch.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    voicesdark wrote: »
    When I designed and built my comp I went for excessive overkill so even remotely had issues running it.

My post was not in regards of anyone's ability to run STO .
    Cryptic seemed to make an effort to make the game "weigh less" performance wise .

When the fans on my PC perk up , I know they are dealing with something that "weighs more" .
    I want to know if Cryptic's optimization has in fact happened , and if so where / by how much ?
    (I know where they said they did it , I want to know about the players experience/data)

aevlom wrote: »
    My PC is nearing upgrade time (AMD Phenom II X4 945 (Black) 3.0GHz, and an Nvidia GeForce GTX 460),

Interesting that you should consider the need to update those spec's (unless you play other more demanding games) .
    I too have a GTX 460 card and I do not see a need to upgrade that for STO ... , despite hearing it's fan when I lingered for a time in the new character creation UI .
  • rickpellrickpell Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm running an AMD Phenom iI X4 920 2.8 w/ 4GB DDR2 and a GEForce GT 430 1GB DDR3.

Been running this for 2 years now, and never had any problems running STO on fairly high settings.

Had 2 system crashes on tribble Friday night during the first space combat in the tutorial. Not game crashes, system crashes. The computer was still up, but everything on screen was gone. After investigating, it looks like my GPU was massively overheating.

When I went back to holodeck, everything was fine again.

I poked around in the video settings on tribble, and found that for some reason, the video settings were maxed out. I know for a fact that I didn't do that.

I had played on tribble a week ago as a Fed with the new updates with no problem. I wonder if the changes were caused by the latest update.

Anyway, I adjusted the video settings on tribble to what I'm running on holodeck, and it's working fine now.
  • anthslickanthslick Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    well i cant run at highest anymore all those lights kinda make me lag in space but other then that ....its fairly nice =D
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    With the open beta going up there, my settings were changed to max.

And while my comp can run that, it makes responsiveness a bit too sticky. So I had to change some stuff around. It's been ok. But still doesn't feel quite as smooth as holodeck. I think that might be more to do with Tribble than with these texture changes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Intel Core i5 2500K / OCed @ 4,6GHz
    GTX 460 1GB (MSI)
    8GB Ram
    screen res: 1920x1080
    vSync ON
    all settings cranked up, and 4x transparent anti aliasing forced through the nvidia panel

i noticed on my first run on tribble that the romulan tutorial ground zone gave me a bit low fps (30 ish...) and had to reduce a lot of settings.

but on the latest build that same ground zone worked with smooth 60FPS with everything maxed out. so something was clearly optimized here

in the mext space map though, still in the tutorial i still have a drop to 30-ish FPS and my GPU is maxed out at 99%

(i had drops to 30FPS before with the GPU being almost idle, at least this time i can combat it with a better GPU because it's clearly bottlenecking here)

otherwise i noticed a lot of UI performance improvements,
    in particular in the foundry mission list and the DOff Roster i see no FPS drops anymore at all!

all in all i'd say better performance, yes, but also some higher requirements in some of the new maps.

trying to save up for a GTX 680 for a while now... (Battlefield 3 / 4 and Starcraft 2 also could use a bit more GPU power) ...but somehow every month something more important comes along. grr...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,480 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    I'd like to know why New Romulus always makes my graphics derp. I got a pretty decent system, with 2 9800 GTs. I just don't know why... but just about every time I go there...
    "Memory was low. Running with Reduced Textures"
    And this comes up IN A LOADING SCREEN! Also happens on Holodeck, but it could just be the fact that its so frickin huge compared to places like DS9 and my other usual haunts.
    Meh... doesn't really kill anything. I just hate seeing that dang message plastered in the corner constantly.

And for the record... I try to balance performance and looks.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • ladyinferno2010ladyinferno2010 Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Strangely, the current Holodeck build hates my video card (GTX 570). The fans go insane, and I have to /maxfps 30 just to keep the card from going nuts.

On Tribble it barely twitched my GPU temps and ran like butter. I'm not going to complain.
  • duaths1duaths1 Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    new 2013 computer, win8, everything went just fine! wonderful new textures :)
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    No more memory leak on tribble, and no more ridiculous fps drop. I have a fine computer, runing new games at max, and I shouldn't have fps drop in STO.

So I'd say "better" to answer the question :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,441 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    When things work, it's like butter. No noticeable framerate drop, controls very responsive, just a wonderful experience all around.

About a quarter of the time, though, I'll just get into the Tribble server, and suddenly my computer will just shut off. No warnings, no sudden fan activity, just >pip< it's gone. Then I reboot, and everything's fine. Doesn't happen on Holodeck, or on CO, or on NW (on the rare occasions I play NW), just on Tribble.

This may be related to the fact that I'm running this game on a three-year-old Toshiba laptop... :rolleyes:
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Having recently updated from playing on the family desktop to my own gaming rig, there were times on Tribble where I noticed the game felt a little more sluggish than it should - mostly in space around Virinat. Otherwise, no problems so far.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • jtoon74jtoon74 Member Posts: 409 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Occaisonally I get an hard crash whilst trying to log in.
  • voxinvictusvoxinvictus Member Posts: 261
    edited May 2013
    My performance in the open world has been abysmal.

I was testing during "closed beta" and it ran like hot butter and looked great. Now, the game freezes for a full .1 second every 2-3 seconds or so.

Space still runs fine, but whatever they did with the textures has taken the ground maps, which previously ran better on tribble than on holo, and made them run even worse than holo.

I have a relatively high end system, i7 2600k running stock speed, fast memory and video card. Nothing crazy like crossfire or SLI, but far better than the requirements for STO.
  • vitzhvitzh Member Posts: 519
    edited May 2013
    My performance has been mixed. It's either suffered terrible slowdown, with lag and jittering or been working quite fine and looking pretty. It isn't consistent though.
  • oowoonoowoon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I haven't been experiencing any lag on max settings, maybe a bit here and there when it's really graphically intense, but other than that, none.
  • darkfader1988darkfader1988 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Not optimal I can say.

i7 3770K @ 4.4Ghz and a nvidia 670GTX, on full slider settings on the starter planet my FPS plummets and my CPU usage is skyrocketting.

Not that efficient for a sub-par graphical game.

Oh yeah, has nothing to do with ping or latency or 'lag' by the way. Just bad programming. It also happens on new romulus to and extend so Im pretty sure its just bad design.

There are other of these resource hogs, example the Klingon Starbase external interior, whenever you look at it the GPU load goes crazy.
    MT - Sad Pandas
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    vitzh wrote: »
    My performance has been mixed. It's either suffered terrible slowdown, with lag and jittering or been working quite fine and looking pretty. It isn't consistent though.

Hmm, this sounds a whole lot like what I've been having. Next time you get into the game, try setting the "Lighting" option to Low. See if that doesn't fix it for you. I narrowed down the Lighting being the culprit to my own massive performance drops and jittering/stuttering. Once I got it off of High, everything was just peachy. All my other settings are on max.

Edit: I should note that I don't have this on Holodeck. Only happens on Tribble.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • mattdawsonmattdawson Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've not noticed any real improvement/difference, though:
    > I've been more susceptible to rubber-banding.
    > issues with my client rendering the huge battle instances
    > Audio issues after a couple of hours game play, ranging from not getting VO to having only the background ambient sound on it's own without anything else.
  • kaiserkactokaiserkacto Member Posts: 482 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Processor: Intel i7 @ 2.00 GHz
    Ram: 6 GB
    Graphics: GeForce GT 525M
    Default settings

Haven't seen performance difference neither better nor worse, however i had some overheating problems, especially on Virinat
    "In every age,
    In every place,
    The deeds of men remain the same..."
    12701.png
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    For my setup:

Intel 2500K oc @ 4.8Ghz
    Ram 8GB
    AMD XFX HD6870 1GB Stock
    Resolution: 1680X1050

The game runs fine on max settings and looks beautiful. I have notice spikes though, even on basic maps that males my fans start spinning up.
    I suspect it is a similar issue to what has already been said above.....
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• ryuujinjjakkaryuujinjjakka Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just because the PC im using is old im going to post here(its my moms pc, wich was mine as few years ago..so sue me!)

the rig:
    Intel Core 2 Duo 6400 @2.63
    3GB Mem DDRII 667
    9800GT 512mb
    so its pretty much a 7 year old pc (the graphic card is 4 yeals old...but yeah)

amazing as it sounds, besides a lot of lag in some heavy battles (both ground and space) no serious issue yet. THe card gone 77?C yeasterday, but since then its about 60-65?C even in some heavy lag in battles. It runs pretty smoths most of the times too(well, for the config its pushing that is...)...so im going back to my usual config next week and then I'll see how newer hardware keeps up.
  • gpgtxgpgtx Member Posts: 1,579 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i noticed on my 3 year old laptop i have been able to turn up the graphics more then what i can on holodeck

the specs are this

AMD sempron M100 @ 2.00Ghz
    Ram 3GB
    AMD M880G Radeon HD 4200
    resolution: 1366x768

it also seems to run 7* cooler then on holo with higher setting
    victoriasig_zps23c45368.jpg
  • royalsovereignroyalsovereign Member Posts: 1,344 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My machine is probably below minimum spec. It was a smoking CAD workstation when it was new 6 or 7 years ago. ;) Pentium 4 3.60GHz, 3.25 GB of RAM, ATI FireGL V3100, WinXP64. Everything runs OK, so long as I keep the bar all the way over to 'performance'.

Anyway, given that I'm such a borderline case, small differences are quite noticable, and Tribble certainly feels slower.
    "You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
    --Red Annorax
  • highteehightee Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    AMD A8-3870 APU 3.00 Ghz
    AMD Radeon HD 6550D
    8 Gig Ram

Overall the game as been running pretty much the same, looks nicer but I haven't adjusted any settings over what I have on holodeck so not sure there.

My only issue was the audio problem that another person reported as well. After a few hours in, some sounds do not play or play sporadically, as well as some VO not playing. (this may be on some missions where it hasn't been added in yet, haven't checked all the patch notes)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • slick97477slick97477 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    if your running a I7 and your having issues with STO it is most likely a bad setting on the system itself or a massive amount of startup programs that are not necessary. I am running a AMD black edition x4 3.0 oc'ed and 4 gig ddr3 and ati hd5670 and run maxed without a issue on either interface but enough babbling...The new interface is ok but no significant improvement that is noticeable..However the massive amount of spelling errors and graphical glitches that are present is enough to cause issues. Of course that is what a beta test is for but without proper testers to notice the glitches and issues the expansion will come out just like all the others with a massive amount of errors due to the fact PWE does not pay attention to the people that are actually offering technical info....
    If they make something idiot proof. They will come out with better idiots