test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

outage debrief and general availability policy question

13»

Comments

• aukterus1aukterus1 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You think they'll post something addressing this? Mayhap it's just time to stick their heads in the sand and just admit they can't get it together rather than giving us a gushy paragraph thanking us for all the "support and patience" that is a very, very marginal minority in (at least this ;) ) reality. :D
  • jengofett649jengofett649 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    wow.. sign in and within 10seconds i get D/C

you guys are seriously a joke of a company.....
  • andyvh501andyvh501 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    you know it seems to me that this whole instability issue started about the same time Neverwinter went open beta. makes you wonder if the issue is more from that end.
  • darien99darien99 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sasheria wrote: »
    On the initial downtime, the message was about Neverwinter overloading the servers. Remember that PW account can be use on ALL games.

No, there was no such message about NW overloading the servers.
  • usscapitalusscapital Member Posts: 985 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    why does it say the game is up and running (sto site server status) yet when sto is launched the game is in maintenance mode ?
    NERF NERF NERF ONLINE

DELTA PRICE RISING
  • jengofett649jengofett649 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    darien99 wrote: »
    No, there was no such message about NW overloading the servers.

yes actually there was, the 9hour "unscheduled" maintenance at last update was because of Neverwinter... and since that Garbage went live we've been plagued with downtimes and server crashes... cant believe they still haven't removed it and placed it on another low traffic server -.-
  • aukterus1aukterus1 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Patcher opens, log in works, game loads.

"Closed for server maintenance at this time."

False alarm ladies, it was a phaser battery in my pocket.

Can a guy get a little info on what time frame I'm looking at here ffs?
  • usscapitalusscapital Member Posts: 985 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    NERF NERF NERF ONLINE

DELTA PRICE RISING
  • lifedrainer110lifedrainer110 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
  • psychickittypsychickitty Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Um ok.....so someone is attacking the server clusters....

Look if you log in to what you think is the crystal catastrophe and all you see is a big box.....don't start inviting everyone to shoot it.

Power without Perception is Spiritually useless and therefore of no true value.

=^_^=

• kirkson2kirkson2 Member Posts: 161 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    SERVER OUTAGE ( from Wikpedia)
    In service level agreements, it is common to mention a percentage value (per month or per year) that is calculated by dividing the sum of all downtimes timespans by the total time of a reference time span (e.g. a month). 0% downtime means that the server was available all the time.

For Internet servers downtimes above 1% per year or worse can be regarded as unacceptable as this means a downtime of more than 3 days per year. For e-commerce and other industrial use any value above 0.1% is usually considered unacceptable.
    Klingons smell worse than wookies:D
  • furlong359furlong359 Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I would take this large amount of server crashes as a sign that its time to go outside and play with the rest of humanity. give these guys a chance to fix whatever dead hamster is holding up the rest of the crew. maybe if everyone also didnt try logging on every ten seconds , it would be helpful.

also, who doesnt believe that the server is going to have some massive issues on the launch day of LoR has never played The Burning Crusade when it first came out...
  • deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So what happened? Why did everything crash? We deserve to know, as nothing had been stated for the last few crashes. Please tell us, what's going on?

Thanks,
  • macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited May 2013
    So what happened? Why did everything crash? We deserve to know, as nothing had been stated for the last few crashes. Please tell us, what's going on?

Thanks,

Perfect World's digital equivalent of the Chernobyl plant had another meltdown. Don't worry they are still processing payments on those legacy packs! Get 'em while they're hot!
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • carrowcanarycarrowcanary Member Posts: 160 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The silence is deafening. I get the feeling Cryptic/PWE don't know what the problem is, and actually need repeated crashes to diagnose the issue.
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Thanks,

Exactly, its past time for an explanation.......
    edited May 2013
    Well, I posted a seperate thread, asking for the reason, and it gets merged... so that means, we won't get an answer...
    edited May 2013
    And people won't even notice the demands... brilliant move mods...
    edited May 2013
    So, why did the game crash?
  • haelishaelis Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Oh this is nice. I'm subbed and my place in the logon que is 13,483 out of 13,483. And no I am not kidding. Been waiting for some time for that number to drop. :eek:
    And I'm old, not dead.
    If your're so smart how come you don't own everything? :D
    Proud Member of Starfleet Elite Task Force & Klingon Elite Task Force for 4 yrs
  • gr4v1t4rgr4v1t4r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    haelis wrote: »
    Oh this is nice. I'm subbed and my place in the logon que is 13,483 out of 13,483. And no I am not kidding. Been waiting for some time for that number to drop. :eek:

I think that countdown might be bugged, I went from 1217 too 8672, then suddenly I was 126. So unless a lot of people gave up on the same moment, I think the number displayed isn't that accurate;)
    Lost and Delirious... and Disenchanted too
    Apparently some forum posters have diplomatic immunity nowadays, where can I get mine?
    askray wrote: »
    Expressing my opinion isn't trolling but nice try. Besides, if I was you wouldn't know it ;P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wildweasalwildweasal Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    squigish wrote: »
    This is mostly a question for the PWE staff, but I'm sure the community will weigh in as well.

Now that the 5+ hour long outage on 5/2/2013 has finally been resolved, could we get some comments about what happened, and some reassurances about what's being done to prevent it in the future?

Was it a piece of networking gear that failed? A server? A connectivity issue that was more or less outside of your control? Something that caused multiple cascading failures?

Also, as a general question, what is your uptime goal for STO? It's clearly not the "five nines" (99.999% uptime) standard for major online services, as that only allows about 5 minutes of downtime per year, and the weekly maintenance alone is way more than that.

I understand that you run a business, and while you could theoretically have 5 independent data centers all over the globe, any one of which is capable of running the entire system, that would be prohibitively expensive. But neither are you just running the server on a single box plugged into a cable modem. There's a balance point somewhere in between, and it's different for every company and situation.

My question is: how much downtime (planned and unplanned) do you consider "acceptable?" I really hope that the 5 hour unexpected downtime is as unacceptable to you as it is to the players, as reflected by the 200 posts/hour on the two different threads about the outage.

your sense of entitlement reeks like bad cologne....they don't have to tell you anyting...outages happen deal with it
    3ondby_zpsikszslyx.jpg
    edited May 2013
    haelis wrote: »

you do know that subbing wont help you with your place in line on tribble right ? your sense entitlement smells like bad cologne
    3ondby_zpsikszslyx.jpg
  • voicesdarkvoicesdark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Actually I agree that at this point there should be some formal explanation of the recent server crashes. I'm not saying that they have to give every little detail or any detail at all that might be used to exploit the recent issues, but even something just as simple as saying that the initial problem was caused by a hardware failure and that temporary emergency repairs were put into place but until they are able to complete full repairs in a week or two that there may still be some possible extended periods of downtime because of the problem. That they are working on it the best they can to prevent outages while on-going repairs are being made and they apologize for any inconvenience, and they are striving to do everything possible to make sure preventable server outages (server overloads because of demand) do not happen in the future.

Something as simple as that would quell the masses wanting an explanation, and help to restore any possibly lost faith in Cryptic's gameplay reliability. Sometimes the simplest solutions can have the greatest impact.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • peter1z9peter1z9 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yet another hamster died. They seriously need a hamster wheel for each game. You can't expect one hamster to keep everything running.
    "Our Bugs are working as intended" - Cryptic
    edited May 2013
    voicesdark wrote: »

Something as simple as that would quell the masses wanting an explanation, and help to restore any possibly lost faith in Cryptic's gameplay reliability. Sometimes the simplest solutions can have the greatest impact.

its a mmo THEY CRASH people need to get over themselves and go do something else while it gets fixed ...its life as a MMO.... god I would hate to have seen em when WOW was down like every 5 min with mega lag
    3ondby_zpsikszslyx.jpg