test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

GPU killers still in Red Alert instances

hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
Just a regular reminder that the white blotches that wreak havoc on people's GPUs in Red Alerts are still in the game...

Still...after how long? :rolleyes:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• alicmodderalicmodder Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Those give me nightmares...*frantically right clicking and jerking mouse while screen drops to 2 FPS* LOOK AWAY LOOK AWAY *freeze frame, ship blows up*.
    Maybe it's just new Borg tech. :p
  • seansamurai1seansamurai1 Member Posts: 634 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I get the same on a high end machine.

Play BF3 at max everything@60fps
    Farcry3 max stats@48fps.
    Crysis2 maxxed out@60fps

Plat STO at max@60+fps until the white blotches appear or the invisible warp plasma gets used then the game slows down to 12 fps.
  • pucelpucelpucelpucel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    hypl wrote: »
    Just a regular reminder that the white blotches that wreak havoc on people's GPUs in Red Alerts are still in the game...

Still...after how long? :rolleyes:

I never understood this, as I never got them. Until I switched to DX11. With DX11, I get the white things. And holy TRIBBLE do they suck. I would switch back to DX9 and take a look to see if that fixes but... you know... login server down.
  • decroniadecronia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I never understood this, as I never got them. Until I switched to DX11. With DX11, I get the white things. And holy TRIBBLE do they suck. I would switch back to DX9 and take a look to see if that fixes but... you know... login server down.

I don't have DX11 haven't updated it and I still get them. They are not in all the red alerts however when they are boy are they a pain. I can have eject warp plasmas going off left, right and center and not a problem, just the edge of one of those white things and the slide show starts.
  • jstewart55jstewart55 Member Posts: 412 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    They only show up for me when I do Red Alerts in Alpha Centauri. I guess it was supposed to be some kind of space phenomena to add a bit of local colour, but seriously, it completely ruins the instance.
  • pulserazorpulserazor Member Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You mean the bright shafts of light:

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc3/greymelken/screenshot_2012-12-15-13-15-19_zpscd3da645.jpg

that burn a hole in your eyeball if you are unfortunate enough to have one render on your screen? The ones that make your GPU go up 10 degrees, and threaten to destroy your hardware?

Yea, cryptic knows all about those:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=309471&page=9
    tacofangs wrote: »
    These are supposed to be nebulae. They should be fairly subtle. We use a procedural placement method for them. Basically, we give this thing an image, and it draws it some number of times. At some point, something changed in the code, and it caused them to all draw 1000's more of these texture cards than they're supposed to. The fix is relatively simple, but it requires that I manually interact with each nebula on each map, one at a time. I've done the ones I was able to find. You all have told us some other maps that these exist on, but what you call the map, and what the map's file name is, are often totally different. As such, I need help reconciling the two.
    Unfortunately, we've been swamped with S7 work for a while now, and this has fallen by the wayside (many have already been fixed, but I know there are still others yet to address). Hopefully once we get S7 out the door I can take a little time to get back to these.

Sorry about that.

Well past S7 now, and still no fix. It would seem that fixing these doesent really generate enough revenue to be important enough to bother with.

Im not buying the idea that removing them map by map is too tedious, they were put there, they can be removed. its not like every Borg Red Alert in the Alpha Centauri Sector spawns a different map. There cant be many.