test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Exciting then Disappointment

lobstercatlobstercat Member Posts: 51 Arc User
The start and progession of the Romulan faction was exciting to star something fresh in STO and difference to the other factions. But it was disappointing once aligned that the storyline and missions are the same as FED/KDF exceot in a romulan ship.

A little bit of a let down for the hype.:(
Post edited by lobstercat on

Comments

• Options
    ufpterrellufpterrell Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Erm.... What? You still have many Romulan missions to do. Like the whole arc regarding the Tal Shiar? Did you not look or you just trolling?
    Terrell.png

Looking for a dedicated Star Trek community? Visit www.ufplanets.com for details.
  • Options
    lakenoplakenop Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    lobstercat wrote: »
    The start and progession of the Romulan faction was exciting to star something fresh in STO and difference to the other factions. But it was disappointing once aligned that the storyline and missions are the same as FED/KDF exceot in a romulan ship.

We have not even played any of the 21+ episodes yet.
  • Options
    terminationshockterminationshock Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited April 2013

I just got to level 21 and the storyline is 100% unique. This is IMHO, some of, if not, the best content Cryptic has put out to date.
  • Options
    abaddon653abaddon653 Member Posts: 1,144 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Please ignore the rather obvious and pathetic attempt at trolling made by the OP.

This has been a public service announcement, thank you.
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    abaddon653 wrote: »
    Please ignore the rather obvious and pathetic attempt at trolling made by the OP.

This has been a public service announcement, thank you.
    The problem is there's so many newbs in this Beta that there's no way to know if it's an intentional troll or just someone completely unaware of what's going on because they didn't bother to read any of the Tribble announcements.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    The problem is there's so many newbs in this Beta that there's no way to know if it's an intentional troll or just someone completely unaware of what's going on because they didn't bother to read any of the Tribble announcements.

Based on the other two posts by the OP, one could lean either way, eh? Not so much that the OP is new, but that perhaps the OP simply did not realize that actual nature of how it is going to progress. There are so many tidbits scattered in various posts and podcats, that unless one is a consummate consumer of information - it could be very easy to miss. On the other hand, there's the lockbox/Jem set stuff...perhaps something snapped and it is a simple trolling attempt. I'm leaning toward the former rather than the latter though...
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I dont know if the OP is trolling or not, I dont think they are but they seem to be mistaken about certain things.

Yes the higher up missions, like the FE series, the Borg, undine stuff is shared missions and i tell cross faction stories, but there are still unique missions well beyond when you pick a faction and more to be released.
  • Options
    vitzhvitzh Member Posts: 519
    edited April 2013

Sorry to say but what hype? What you stated was exactly what was advertised by Cryptic.
  • Options
    tachyonharmonictachyonharmonic Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I have to kinda agree with the OP.

I feel like the unique Romulan storyline is better than the storylines we've typically seen from Cryptic, but tends to rely heavily on a few overused themes. (Mysterious powerful enemy attacking out of nowhere and taking people, people telling you lies, people calling you a terrorist). I'm definitely disappointed with the frequency you are offered to join the Tal Shiar and given a fake dialogue option that you can't ever really choose.

We haven't seen the 20+ content, but since Cryptic has stated it only lasts until the Cloaked Intentions series, it'll only be another 10-15 levels of missions. Maybe it'll be as long as the stuff we've already played. After that point, of course, it is indeed the same missions that the Feds/KDF get.

That being said, it's kinda shameful to try and dismiss the OP as a troll or a newb. He's entirely entitled to dislike what he's seen and entitled to his opinion. There are people who agree with him. Not listening to opinions you don't like tends to skew perceptions.
  • Options
    tsurutafan01tsurutafan01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'm definitely disappointed with the frequency you are offered to join the Tal Shiar and given a fake dialogue option that you can't ever really choose.

It's basically advertising the single worst thing about the entire game with a big flashing sign. I know a lot of people find the story missions grand, but they really aren't something this game engine does well. This is why.

Other than that, the story end is fine. But it's kind of hard to get over that hurdle. Bioware didn't exactly release KoToR 1 last week or anything. Having actual choices is standard game fare at this point and not having it stands out badly.

I liked Final Fantasy III/VI as much as the next man back in the day but dialogue that does nothing but fill space is an anachronism. Actually even that analogy doesn't quite work, because giving me blocks of text with no options at all would still be vastly superior to giving out fake choices that don't actually mean anything, in the end.

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
  • Options
    assimilatedktarassimilatedktar Member Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I have to kinda agree with the OP.

[...]

That being said, it's kinda shameful to try and dismiss the OP as a troll or a newb. He's entirely entitled to dislike what he's seen and entitled to his opinion. There are people who agree with him. Not listening to opinions you don't like tends to skew perceptions.

So the OP is right when he claims that there are no unique Romulan missions after level 10?
    FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
    Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
  • Options
    raptor63549raptor63549 Member Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    It would be pretty cool if we had the option of working as a double agent for the Tal Shiar
  • Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited April 2013
    So the OP is right when he claims that there are no unique Romulan missions after level 10?

Not true at all. I have so far not encountered any recycled missions. From 1-20 right now its all unique Romulan missions. Looks like the Featured episodes start at 30+ so that's at least 10 levels of unique missions they have yet to release.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013

He's hideously incorrect. The plotlines of all three factions don't coalesce until the Cardassian front.
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    He's hideously incorrect. The plotlines of all three factions don't coalesce until the Cardassian front.
    Stirling is correct. The Roms have unique missions until they reach the Reman FE - and that occurs in the high 30s to around level 40. From that point Roms go into the Cardassian sectors and then into Gamma O following the same mission track as the Feds and KDF. So roughly 38-40 levels of unique content and then 10-12 levels of joined content.

The OP was confused because the Beta only has 21 levels of Rom content for testing right now. So the OP's been continuing to level the Rom using other content in the game rather than stopping and testing something else.

There have been plenty of stated posts about how much of the Rom content is currently in the game. DStahl's FAQ on the FNN section even states only about half in the Q/A section.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Actually it's kind of sickening how quickly some people are trying to jump on OP as being a troll.

Firstly, we haven't seen exactly how far the "rest" of the new content ends. I've heard lvl 32 used and that's what I go by, so at best we get about 10 more levels, half of what we've already got.

Secondly, he's certainly allowed to feel like it's the same old missions. Frankly, they're not that far off. So far I haven't seen any really "new" ideas introduced. If I'm changing details in a Romulan datafile or changing details in the records of another mission like we've already seen, it's not exactly revolutionary, is it?

Note that he didn't actually say there were "no unique" missions after level 10, that's a straw man argument brought up to flame him.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Guys, that was a rhetorical question. My Romulan rear admiral knows the answer.;) I just wanted to point out that you can hardly classify it as the OP's "opinion" he's entitled to.
    Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
  • Options
    wildweasalwildweasal Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »

hahahahahahahahahaha people DONT read!!! what is this reading you speak of ??
    3ondby_zpsikszslyx.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Note that he didn't actually say there were "no unique" missions after level 10, that's a straw man argument brought up to flame him.

Why do you keep doing this to you, him and me?
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Why do you keep doing this to you, him and me?

Because I'm not in the process of jumping on someone and flaming them for having a different opinion.

The missions I've played in the beta so far certainly feel like a lot of the same old stuff to me. But perhaps that doesn't fit the picture that some people are trying to paint on the game.
  • Options
    grnlbrtnfrntgrnlbrtnfrnt Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Well I think some others are trolls and NOT the OP.

What OP is saying is that once you align you get the same other content from the faction you were forced to join.

There is ZERO, zed, 0 Romulan flavor. The contacts talk to you just as if you were a Star Fleet officer. You get to Aid the planet or deliver medical supplies or what ever. You are exploring and colonizing for the Feds.

Many of the missions to me make absolutly no sense for a Romulan to being them. Well truth be told most of this expansion makes no sense.

It similar to some of the missions that Klingons get to do. Like my Klingon can go back in time on Drozana. No one questions why a KLINGON with ridges is running around loose on the station with a Gorn. Doctor McCoy cant wait to help you. Scottie must have already had a wee nip be he doesnt either.

Being forced into the Feds or KDF more or less ruins the entire Romulan experience.

I mean its bad enough you are some lettuce farmer from hooterville.....
    [SIGPIC]PWE IS NOT A REPUTABLE COMPANY[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Because I'm not in the process of jumping on someone and flaming them for having a different opinion.

The missions I've played in the beta so far certainly feel like a lot of the same old stuff to me. But perhaps that doesn't fit the picture that some people are trying to paint on the game.

I'm not for jumping and flaming myself (I'd rather be interested in how he came to that conclusion if he's not trolling), but you constantly misrepresent what he wrote. He writes that after aligning yourself your missions and storyline ARE THE SAME as . Not "FEEL LIKE THE SAME". If you say that the new Romulan missions feel the same to you like the old Federation and KDF missions I'm going to scratch my head, but that is your opinion and you can keep it for all I care, I enjoy them a lot and think they are among the best what Cryptic has produced so far. But again, that is your opinion, not what the OP wrote.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    To be clear, the OP said he was disappointed that: "once aligned that the storyline and missions are the same as FED/KDF exceot in a romulan ship." This is incorrect. They are not the same storyline and missions as the Federation and KDF, unless he's referring to the featured episodes, which are indeed the same across factions and have been for a long time.

Now, if you don't like the missions that are there post-alignment, that's entirely different and entirely a matter of opinion. I think they're excellent missions myself, though I personally would agree that we need more Romulan flavor text on the non-story mission content such as deep space encounters and exploration.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I'm not for jumping and flaming myself (I'd rather be interested in how he came to that conclusion if he's not trolling), but you constantly misrepresent what he wrote. He writes that after aligning yourself your missions and storyline ARE THE SAME as . Not "FEEL LIKE THE SAME". If you say that the new Romulan missions feel the same to you like the old Federation and KDF missions I'm going to scratch my head, but that is your opinion and you can keep it for all I care, I enjoy them a lot and think they are among the best what Cryptic has produced so far. But again, that is your opinion, not what the OP wrote.

Well it certainly looks like flaming to me.

My interpretation of what he said is that he means it feels the same to him.

If your interpretation is that he meant they are exactly identical, that's up to you. Though that sounds like a strawman argument to me.

Either way, we're both saying the story is more of the same old stuff.

You're certainly as entitled to your opinion as the OP is, though.
  • Options
    longasclongasc Member Posts: 490
    edited May 2013
    Actually it's kind of sickening how quickly some people are trying to jump on OP as being a troll.

Indeed. As if we would not know how long it took to create missions fo the KDF and even then they started out at high level, the new low level missions just came with this new season.

Maybe wait till release and then check if the OP wasn't quite right... I have the gut feeling he is.
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well I think some others are trolls and NOT the OP.

I don't think people really use the word Troll properly anymore. And it's misuse is really out of place in a test server forum anyways.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lobstercatlobstercat Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Being away for a while and firstly thanks all for the responses although some are a little harsh in their comments. Whilst I am not new to STO by any means, being around since launch, I still learn new things and ideas each time I play and therefore feel free to call me a newbie. As a side note, how long do you have to play before you are not a newbie? 500 days? 1000 days? What are you called when you advance past newbie? Oldie? I am not real savvy in internet related terms, probably because I was born before man set foot upon the moon.
    What is a little offensive is being labelled a troll. When I was reading the posts, I was confused by the term ?Troll?. And before anyone comments, yes I consider myself new to posting in STO forums as you can tell from the amount of posts I have submitted. Probably I am less than a newbie, so whatever internet term that is for those types of people that is me in STO forums; however I do read them often but don?t have enough time in the day to read, post and play. When I first saw the ?Troll? term I wondered what ?fishing with a moving line etc? had to do with the statements. Then realised that internet folk have different meanings for real words. So I googled it and came up with ?In Internet slang, a troll (pron.: /ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is someone who posts inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[3]
    Someone could explain how;
    My original post is inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic? ? it is in regards to romulan upgrade.
    I provoking readers into an emotional response? ? the opinion was my own.
    I said - The start and progression of the Romulan faction was exciting to star something fresh in STO and difference to the other factions. But it was disappointing once aligned that the storyline and missions are the same as FED/KDF except in a Romulan ship.? Which I will explain a little further to clarrify.
    Up to level 10 the Romulan toon with the storyline and new missions was fresh and exciting for me and in my mind thinking that the whole storyline was going to be new like the feds and KDF were. I have 10 Feds and 4 KDF at VADML and a few I have dropped, so a new story line was exciting. Once I got to level 10 I aligned with FED and the only available mission are the same as I had done in my other 10 Feds being ?Starbase 24?, ?OutReach?, ?Asteroid Mining? and some the explore new worlds missions? Arucanis, Delta Volanis Cluster So Yes I was disappointed as it appeared to be only the same Fed missions. In my disappointment I did not go any further.

After reading the responses that there were indeed more differences I did one of the fed missions and when I reach Level 11 a new mission from a Subcommander Nadel appeared title ?the price of neutrality? which looks like a Romulan continuation and yes it was new and exciting. See I learned something new ? what a newbie still am. After that I got a new mission from Charvev.

So my disappointment has disappeared and the Romulan faction has again peaked my interest. :)

One thing that did annoy me during the missions was that when I was cloaked and I accepted the item that became available I de-cloaked. This is real inconvenient when you are close to enemy ships. I don?t know if this happens to KDF as I don?t play that side too much, again newbie.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I kinda figured that's what your issue was, that for some reason you just couldn't see the exclusive Romulan story missions from 11-20 for some reason. I'm glad that you can now :) Hope you enjoy them, I know I did.