test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

I'm out.

princedimwitprincedimwit Member Posts: 230 Arc User
After much consideration, I have decided to leave the game.

My reasons are many and varied.

For one, I was considering paying real money for zen - upwards of $60 just to get some intangible benefits that I can see on screen. They say the game is free but you can only hold 10,000,000 EC at any given time and fleet modules cost a lot more than that. You'd have to buy the modules or buy a bigger EC bank. Star Trek Online - free to play if you don't want to have a chance of advancing very far with a halfway decent ship, weapons and shields.

This money could be spent on my wife's birthday present or a Saturday trip to the zoo with my daughter - gas, lunch, dinner and admission included.

Also, I've been spending way too much time at the computer. I recognize addiction in myself and I am grateful that I was able to step away and recognize it. I spent an average of 12-16 hours on the game and I could start to feel the muscle in my legs wither away. A conversation I was having with a fleet member made me realize how much time I was spending on the game when I said goodnight to her one evening and when I got up in the morning, she was still on. She'd played all night. It made me look at myself and how the last thing I do during the day was to play the game and the first thing I do was play the game. I then calculated the number of hours I spent at the computer. I was shocked by the result.

Since I've been playing so long, I was having dreams about the game and attributing qualities of it to things in the real world like driving my car figuring what turn rate it might have and if my next car should be better.

I'm off to love in the real world for a time.

You guys take care.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by princedimwit on

Comments

• Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    In before the close!

Have a good one! Enjoy whatever game you decide to play instead.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    thratch1thratch1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    So your problem is that a F2P game makes it so you're highly encouraged to spend money sometimes?

Do you know what a business is?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    dma1986dma1986 Member Posts: 541 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Token "Can I haz your stuff" comment.

Now that's out the way, good luck with whatever you decide to do in all the free time you'll gain :)
  • Options
    nileight1nileight1 Member Posts: 249 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Can I haz your stuff? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Thanks for reminding me it's Monday.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    z3ndor99z3ndor99 Member Posts: 1,391 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    So long and thanks for all the fish! That's how you should of bowed out, but seriously have fun good luck.... right back to the game.
  • Options
    lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Yup, I was amazed at how much 'life' I was missing while playing this never-ending grind. Thankfully a patch ate my game a couple weeks ago and I've been unable to get it working again, but the dogs are remembering when I used to play with them, I'm remembering what I used to watch on TV, food tastes better when I'm not hurrying to eat to get back to the game.

Life was passing me by when I was prisoner to online single player gaming. I'm thankful for S8 in a way, for making me realize I spend too much time in front of the PC.

:D
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    They say the game is free but you can only hold 10,000,000 EC at any given time and fleet modules cost a lot more than that.

Pretty sure individual fleet modules cost under 10 mill per. If you're seeing them listed at more than that, you should be patient and not buy them at that inflated price.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tsurutafan01tsurutafan01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Congrats on your decision to ignore the DOFF system existing so you can pretend things in this game cost money even though they actually don't.

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
  • Options
    dorusnonndorusnonn Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Take care unknown friend!

Fair winds and clear horizon to you!

Farewell!
    Being here since 2011 Spring
  • Options
    ricorosebudricorosebud Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    This is so sad. Random person I don't know is leaving the game and writes a wall o' text about it. *sniffle*

Please come back?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    rdm1958rdm1958 Member Posts: 822 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    so what is the name of this friend of yours that plays all night? i could use an in-game friend like that.
  • Options
    kyeto13kyeto13 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    IN BEFORE THE LOCK!

In other news, you DO now that

A) the Devs have to pay for the servers, and their time programming. Money is needed to keep a business going.

b) Even with that, you can earn dil can convert it to zen. Doing this, you can unlock the EC cap limit within a few weeks, easy.

Still free to play.
    Live on Earth. Work in Space. Play with Dragons. Join the best add on to STO, the Neverwinter holodeck program! Only 14 GPL a month.
  • Options
    captyoung01captyoung01 Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    After much consideration, I have decided to leave the game.

My reasons are many and varied.

For one, I was considering paying real money for zen - upwards of $60 just to get some intangible benefits that I can see on screen. They say the game is free but you can only hold 10,000,000 EC at any given time and fleet modules cost a lot more than that. You'd have to buy the modules or buy a bigger EC bank. Star Trek Online - free to play if you don't want to have a chance of advancing very far with a halfway decent ship, weapons and shields.

This money could be spent on my wife's birthday present or a Saturday trip to the zoo with my daughter - gas, lunch, dinner and admission included.

Also, I've been spending way too much time at the computer. I recognize addiction in myself and I am grateful that I was able to step away and recognize it. I spent an average of 12-16 hours on the game and I could start to feel the muscle in my legs wither away. A conversation I was having with a fleet member made me realize how much time I was spending on the game when I said goodnight to her one evening and when I got up in the morning, she was still on. She'd played all night. It made me look at myself and how the last thing I do during the day was to play the game and the first thing I do was play the game. I then calculated the number of hours I spent at the computer. I was shocked by the result.

Since I've been playing so long, I was having dreams about the game and attributing qualities of it to things in the real world like driving my car figuring what turn rate it might have and if my next car should be better.

I'm off to love in the real world for a time.

You guys take care.

I totally agree here, with the loss of my own characters that can not be restored, I too realize that I am spending way too much time in front of the PC, and recognizing that you are addicted is the first step.

There is much to be enjoyed about such a game, there is also much to be enjoyed in life as well. Finding a balance, or just letting go isn't easy, attachments are struggles to let loose. I applaud you for your mindful insight. Do not feel guilty about your decision for letting the game go.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    STO=crack! Thanks for the laffs!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEqUyNaSdvg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kwiat007kwiat007 Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I imagine cryptic employees want similar things for their spouses and children, but they won't be able too provide it unless someone sometimes pays for something in the game, have you thought about that?
    I spent an average of 12-16 hours on the game and I could start to feel the muscle in my legs wither away.
    You have played so much bu you haven't unlocked the EC cap? @_@

Goodbye.
    [SIGPIC]Join Date: August 2009[/SIGPIC]
    I live in an alternate universe, where j.j. abrams and cryptic never existed,
    where R.S.E. is what it always should be.
  • Options
    princedimwitprincedimwit Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    kyeto13 wrote: »
    IN BEFORE THE LOCK!

In other news, you DO now that

A) the Devs have to pay for the servers, and their time programming. Money is needed to keep a business going.

b) Even with that, you can earn dil can convert it to zen. Doing this, you can unlock the EC cap limit within a few weeks, easy.

Still free to play.

Point missed entirely. You'll get it eventually.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Dude, once you post an "I' Quit" thread it's really bad form to not leave. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    edited April 2013

You can't Quit and then watch the thread and respond..that's not how this works.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    elessymelessym Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    This is so sad. Random person I don't know is leaving the game and writes a wall o' text about it. *sniffle*

Please come back?

Seriously? 20 lines (with paragraphs, no less) is a "wall o' text"?

Never pick up a book.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited April 2013

Not to keep you from your graceful exit but a single monthly subscription (15 bucks) buys the EC cap increase, another character slot, 20 account bank slots, and a respec token for every level your toon increases during the sub period. You get to keep all this when you end subscription.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    elessym wrote: »

Never pick up a book.
    In a society that deals with 140 character tweets, it's a wall of text. :)

Anyway, where at the Mods or Brandon to lick this thread down? :)
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    elessym wrote: »

Never pick up a book.

For a forum post about quitting, yep too much. I read quite often. Wanna fight about it? :rolleyes:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    You can't Quit and then watch the thread and respond..that's not how this works.

I think he missed the point entirely. He'll get it eventually.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Already three pages? I better be quick.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »

And putting smiles after insults makes them ok! You don't know me! :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    jexsamx wrote: »
    Already three pages? I better be quick.

Say it again I dare you
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    tinkerstormtinkerstorm Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »

I don't think they are quite yet at the point where they are licking threads.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    And putting smiles after insults makes them ok! You don't know me! :)
    I wasn't insulting you. I didn't even reply to you. I was making a comment on the state of society in this age were few people read anything longer then a tweet any more. It's just the way it is.
  • Options
    elessymelessym Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    For a forum post about quitting, yep too much. I read quite often. Wanna fight about it? :rolleyes:

OMG wall o' text!

For someone offering to start a forum fight anyway.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
This discussion has been closed.