test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

All Romulans should be joining the KDF

2»

Comments

• assimilatedktarassimilatedktar Member Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I joined the federation without question, I like the federation ships a lot and i eventually want my romi to get the fleet defiant. I will make a romi on klingon side too eventually but for now im joining fed.

New Devblog. No allied T5 ships for Roms.
    FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
    Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
  • lostusthornlostusthorn Member Posts: 844
    edited April 2013
    I joined the federation without question, I like the federation ships a lot and i eventually want my romi to get the fleet defiant. I will make a romi on klingon side too eventually but for now im joining fed.

You won't get a fleet defiant, read the latest blog.
  • momawmomaw Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    daroska wrote: »
    Now, at least the Imperial Empire has some honesty and good reasoning behind
    their actions, just look at the Gorn subjugation- it was to annihilate Undine infiltrators.

"Hey, you guys have Undine in your government. We better take care of that. And as long as we're here and wiping out your higher leadership, we might as well take over the running of your inter-stellar civilization. When will you regain your sovereignty? Let's stay flexible on that issue for now."

:rolleyes:
    Not to mention they're
    at least a bit more like the old Romulan Star Empire and are known to be similar in mentality to the Romulans.

Is this the same Romulan Star Empire which was run as a brutal police state by the Tal Shiar, and which the majority of ordinary Romulan citizens would have tried to escape from if they didn't live in fear of their entire families being murdered for "treason"?
  • entnx01entnx01 Member Posts: 546 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    krovan wrote: »
    perhaps this is slightly intentional as a method to bolster lower population on the KDF side? If so I'm all for it.

I'll agree here. While the Federation has some presence, they've always been tentative about joining forces with Romulans until it was absolutely necessary (Defiant's cloaking device and the Dominion War).

The Klingons have a history of obtaining Romulan support from (as far as I remember and may be earlier) the 23rd century through the 25th.

So when it comes to who should support the Romulan Republic, obviously the Klingons will do more to help than the Federation.
  • tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,801 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    reximuz wrote: »
    What bug is that?

There's a major glitch with the KDF T4 Maruading BOFF that renders them completely uneditable in terms of appearance.

No matter what you attempt to change, it snaps it back to the "default setting".

And yes, this is a fully editable BOFF.
    Or it's meant to be in theory, in practice, the bug stops you from doing it.

And when I quizzed other players about it, they've got the same problem, so it's not just me.

So in theory, if I was to align my Romulan faction character with KDF, I'd be signing up to do Maruading and recieve a flawed BOFF as my grand prize for getting to T4 Marauding.

Hence why I'm going down the Starfleet route instead, the Diplomacy BOFF (the Starfleet equivalent) does not have this flaw that the KDF one has!

And it seems that's a consistent trend with KDF gameplay, the bugs just don't get fixed!
    No way am I signing up to play a faction that is always bugged!

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • blitzy4blitzy4 Member Posts: 839 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    For purely aesthetic reasons my Romulan will join the KDF. The uniforms look more romulan and after joining they also get the angry KDF faces.

before and after siding with kdf, some sliders.
    romneutral.jpg

romkdf.jpg

Would be nice to have the choice for what face style to use though

Perhaps he's unhappy with his choice? Joke there :D probably some sort of bug.
    jKixCmJ.jpg
    "..and like children playing after sunset, we were surrounded by darkness." -Ruri Hoshino

• snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    ravin wrote: »
    I felt a little slant towards the KDF when doing the Khitomer mission. Also the choice backgroud even had a subliminal join the KDF edge. You had a prim and proper lass holding a tricorder, or Billy Badass with his phaser... now who would you choose?

The lass over the dude. Duh.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ayradyssayradyss Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Well, I agree that, on the surface, if you're looking ONLY at the personalities in that mission, the Feds don't come off too well. Honestly, I think Ambassador Sugihara (sp?) needs a serious reworking. He's supposed to be the foremost Federation diplomat? Seriously? He's written as a total clown.

Some of the other aspects, however, are circumstantial. The Klingons are the ones to help in the space battle because it's their system and they're the ones in a position to defend it. (They initially tell you not to get involved -- I'm sure they aren't keen on the Feds jumping into the fray either. If the Feds did so, it could easily break down to open fighting between Fed/KDF.)

The bomb thing -- well, it just happened to be the KDF speaker who had the floor when stuff happened. If it had been the Feds, they likely would've been more central in feeling a surge of gratitude and so forth. The mission story is definitely slanted toward making the KDF more palatable, IMO.

All that said, it sure seems like I may be the only one who's got any recall of the overall lore of the game. Because last I knew, the KDF was at war with the Romulans just about as much as they were with the Federation. Quite recently, in terms of the game's timeline, they've been pushing to conquer territory in Romulan space, taking advantage of the RSE's weakness. That alone makes them a pretty poor choice of allies, IMO.
    Live long, and prosper.
  • blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    cptgorand wrote: »
    From the initial mission storylinethe only choice that makes any sense at all is for the Romulans to join forces with the KDF.

Why you ask?

During the Incidents at the colonies and later at Khitomer, the only assistance from Either Faction comes from the intervention of the IKS Kang. The Federation seems to be unwilling to assist when distress calls are going out, they see this as an Internal matter and do not seem to be investigating any claims otherwise.

As a fledgling captain for the Romualn Republic, Why would I choose to join a group that ignores our pleas for assitance?
    No, just because you think all of them should join the KDF, that doesn't mean that people have to do what YOU think they should do. On Holodeck, when I create my Romulan character, I'm allying with the Federation, however on Tribble, my character is allied with the KDF.
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but Romulans will never be allowed any Fleet ships from their allies, since the Fleet ships are Vice Admiral ships...
    Romulan Captains cannot command, nor purchase/ claim, Tier 5 (Rear Admiral, Vice Admiral, Brigadier General, or Lieutenant General) ships from the faction that they have allied with.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • ravinravin Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    tilarta wrote: »
    There's a major glitch with the KDF T4 Maruading BOFF that renders them completely uneditable in terms of appearance.

No matter what you attempt to change, it snaps it back to the "default setting".

And yes, this is a fully editable BOFF.
    Or it's meant to be in theory, in practice, the bug stops you from doing it.

And when I quizzed other players about it, they've got the same problem, so it's not just me.

So in theory, if I was to align my Romulan faction character with KDF, I'd be signing up to do Maruading and recieve a flawed BOFF as my grand prize for getting to T4 Marauding.

Hence why I'm going down the Starfleet route instead, the Diplomacy BOFF (the Starfleet equivalent) does not have this flaw that the KDF one has!

And it seems that's a consistent trend with KDF gameplay, the bugs just don't get fixed!
    No way am I signing up to play a faction that is always bugged!

This not a bug. Al Rivera has explained that the Diplo/Marauding BOffs are exchange officers, they are supposed to wear their faction's uniforms at all times. This follows canon where Riker served aboard a Klingon ship as an exchange officer wearing his Starfleet uniform. The klingon did the same when he served aboard the Enterprise.
    =\/= ================================ =\/=
    Centurion maximus92
    12th Legion, Romulan Republic
    12th Fleet

• commanderkassycommanderkassy Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    This not a bug. Al Rivera has explained that the Diplo/Marauding BOffs are exchange officers, they are supposed to wear their faction's uniforms at all times. This follows canon where Riker served aboard a Klingon ship as an exchange officer wearing his Starfleet uniform. The klingon did the same when he served aboard the Enterprise.

No no no, it's bugged.

It lets you physically change sliders, clothing, etc., but the settings don't save.

You can completely change the appearance of the KDF exchange officers on Fed side.

The Renegade Starfleet officers cannot be edited in any way. It lets you make selections, it lets you do all kinds of things, but the changes do not save. It's a bug.
    ♪ I'm going around not in circles but in spirographs.
    It's pretty much this hard to keep just one timeline intact. ♪
  • assimilatedktarassimilatedktar Member Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited April 2013

Funny, I can edit my diplomatic boff, she's far from "completely uneditable", I can change her body, face and uniform (within the Klingon choices). Also fun fact: Officially we are at war with the Klingon Empire. Running exchange programs with them would be high treason.
    FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
    Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
  • darthstormstrikedarthstormstrike Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited April 2013

Calling Worf's brother Kurn "The Klingon"? What's wrong with you? :D

He gave us some good lines too. "I shall try some of your burned replicated bird meat." when talking about Picard's turkey.

"There is no problem in the universe that can't be solved with a bribe, a paid assassin, or an overpowered fighter." - Chubain from Jumpgate Evolution
  • tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,801 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Funny, I can edit my diplomatic boff, she's far from "completely uneditable", I can change her body, face and uniform (within the Klingon choices).

And that's why I'm choosing Starfleet.

Their Exchange Officer can be edited!

And yes, as stated above, you can change the settings, but they just don't save.

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • grnlbrtnfrntgrnlbrtnfrnt Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I did Fed for my first Romulan.

When it came time to deal with the forced Fed content, I hated it.

A lot of it was the opposite of being a Romulan. Too goody, goody peaceful.

I was hoping that there would be more specific Doff assignments but it was mostly Fed oriented. Take candy and ice cream to this planet and give them a big hug.

Going KDF on live because thats the only hope of having any content remotely like what you would expect as a romulan. More marauding, bribing, treachery.

I mean as a Fed you cant even execute an Officer. They get to talk about their feelings.

Being forced to be in the republic and being forced to join the Feds ... well you might as well have just rolled a Tellarite.
    [SIGPIC]PWE IS NOT A REPUTABLE COMPANY[/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2013

This is exactly whats WRONG with this game.

Romulans should not be flying Fed Defiants. or any Fed ships.

Its just wrong for so many reasons....
  • daroskadaroska Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    momaw wrote: »
    "Hey, you guys have Undine in your government. We better take care of that. And as long as we're here and wiping out your higher leadership, we might as well take over the running of your inter-stellar civilization. When will you regain your sovereignty? Let's stay flexible on that issue for now."

Yeah but they had the potential to have done a lot worse, remember that.
    They could of slaughtered the rebellious Gorn militia like targs to the slaughter.
    Although they didn't, in-fact, they offered them complete governmental integrity.

Not to mention free reign of their assets- if, they help supply the Imperial Empire's war effort.
    At what cost you ask? A few potential compromised individuals removed from office.
    Hell, they even gave King Slathis a non-voting seat on the Klingon Council, which says a lot.

The Defense Force was more than honest to the Gorn Hegemony with their intention.
    It's just that I'm sure J'mpok has to make some profit in the eyes of the councillors.
    Too great of a risk in their view to waste all of their resources on a wild goose chase.

But J'mpok has more than made up for this in the entirety of the scheme of things.
    I mean just look at S'taass, he's representing the Klingons in all matters of diplomacy.
    Now if that doesn't show any measure of trust, then I don't know what else would.
    momaw wrote:
    Is this the same Romulan Star Empire which was run as a brutal police state by the Tal Shiar, and which the majority of ordinary Romulan citizens would have tried to escape from if they didn't live in fear of their entire families being murdered for "treason"?

No. The Romulan Star Empire of the honourable Empress Donatra, circa 2385 exactly.
    To whom which helped stop genocide to even that of an enemy's homeworld.
    As well as offer aid to a said enemy's ship, even though they could of taken advantage.

Note to point: the same Donatra abolished slavery of the Remans and gave them a new
    world to call home, namely Crateris- a planet perfect for the evolution of Reman physiology.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bitterscotbitterscot Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I was hoping that there would be more specific Doff assignments but it was mostly Fed oriented. Take candy and ice cream to this planet and give them a big hug.

Going KDF on live because thats the only hope of having any content remotely like what you would expect as a romulan. More marauding, bribing, treachery.

I mean as a Fed you cant even execute an Officer. They get to talk about their feelings

Agreed! Now lets just hope they don't forget to actually switch Diplomacy to Marauding, cause right now my Romu-kling can do marauder doff missions, but overview has Diplomacy as the first category so can't even rank it up yet. :D
    [6:07] [Combat (Self)] Your Dual Antiproton Banks - Overload III deals 166213 (61268) Antiproton Damage(Critical) to Gateway.
  • darkfader1988darkfader1988 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    TRIBBLE but im joing Fed side, i see no reason to go KDF other then get more insults and sh*t about overpowered consoles etc (PvP wise)

More then enouhg reason to go Fed, I see absolutely no reason to go KDF. Sorry but thats just the state of the game right now.

I predict Death of KDF. They shouldnt add Romulans but in fact replace them with Romulans.
    MT - Sad Pandas
  • daroskadaroska Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    TRIBBLE but im joing Fed side, i see no reason to go KDF other then get more insults and sh*t about overpowered consoles etc (PvP wise)

More then enouhg reason to go Fed, I see absolutely no reason to go KDF. Sorry but thats just the state of the game right now.

I predict Death of KDF. They shouldnt add Romulans but in fact replace them with Romulans.

Now funnily enough, this is also why I'll never play on my Federation characters.
    All I ever hear about the Defense Force from Starfleet members is just downright ridicule.
    It goes from insults, to silly remarks, to improbable statements like the one above.

As mention, I've played with the Imperial Empire for quite some time and I've hardly ever
    heard any talk of overpowered consoles. Honestly, this sounds more like a small dissident
    forum opinion which has been taken as a stereotype for all players within the Defense Force.

But for some equal backfire of banter opposite ways: "Starfleet players I've often found to
    be a bunch of ragtag hooligans who can't use proper grammar to save their lives and when
    the fat targ pups haven't had enough to suckle, they whine like a Ferengi removed from
    their precious latinum. If that isn't enough, all they care about is maxing out their ship specs."

/Sarcastic & Argumentative Tellarite
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bitterscotbitterscot Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2013

Rom ships have battle cloak, rom boffs can get subterfuge and operative traits on the same boff (I have around 13s cd on my cloak right now as a result), with a character trait and certain singularity core you can also charge it to level 4-5 in a few seconds pretty easily.

So what am I getting at? Well, Quantum Absorption at level 5 is like RSP/TSS on crack, and lasts 30 seconds, you got lulzy crit chance and damage boost, plus the added decloak bonus, and AMS if you really want to be a... well, you know. All Romulan ships will be able to re-cloak with ease. It's not like feds don't have annoying TRIBBLE too. Won't even mention those elite Danubes that'll be running around everywhere eventually.
    [6:07] [Combat (Self)] Your Dual Antiproton Banks - Overload III deals 166213 (61268) Antiproton Damage(Critical) to Gateway.
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I agree the Feds did not sell themselves well here. Agreed that Sugihara was a clown and T'Nae was a Solokian racist pig.

The ambassador at the flotilla was the only reason I was able to feel like my character was making the right choice in the end: the promise and ability to deliver on long-term logistical support for New Romulus (while still attacking the Tal Shiar). Had I been writing a story, it would've definitely been a very last-minute decision on the part of my captain--an uneasy one, but a decision made with an eye towards the world her children and grandchildren would grow up in.

I would say that there should be more to make both sides look attractive in the end.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
    edited April 2013
    daroska wrote: »
    Now funnily enough, this is also why I'll never play on my Federation characters.
    All I ever hear about the Defense Force from Starfleet members is just downright ridicule.
    It goes from insults, to silly remarks, to improbable statements like the one above.

As mention, I've played with the Imperial Empire for quite some time and I've hardly ever
    heard any talk of overpowered consoles. Honestly, this sounds more like a small dissident
    forum opinion which has been taken as a stereotype for all players within the Defense Force.

But for some equal backfire of banter opposite ways: "Starfleet players I've often found to
    be a bunch of ragtag hooligans who can't use proper grammar to save their lives and when
    the fat targ pups haven't had enough to suckle, they whine like a Ferengi removed from
    their precious latinum. If that isn't enough, all they care about is maxing out their ship specs."

/Sarcastic & Argumentative Tellarite

i have a different KDF experience. All the consoles I want would cost me $25 a pop to buy a ship I'll never fly.

But the Feds... they can get some of the same consoles from lockboxes or just off the exchange. As KDF there arent may fed consoles I would ever use.

So to sum up. My fed captain has 3 KDF consoles I use all the time. To get the same consoles on my Klingon would cost me $75 real dollars. If there are bad TRIBBLE KDF consoles, chances are they are showing up in a lockbox near you.
  • ravinravin Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Funny, I can edit my diplomatic boff, she's far from "completely uneditable", I can change her body, face and uniform (within the Klingon choices). Also fun fact: Officially we are at war with the Klingon Empire. Running exchange programs with them would be high treason.

I misread the post, I see what you're saying now. I guess Al meant in the spirit of the exchange program seen in the shows.
    Calling Worf's brother Kurn "The Klingon"? What's wrong with you? :D

He gave us some good lines too. "I shall try some of your burned replicated bird meat." when talking about Picard's turkey.

I couldn't for the life of me remember who it was, I knew he had ties to Worf. It's been a long day. :)
    Centurion maximus92
    12th Legion, Romulan Republic
    12th Fleet

• neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    My Rom will ally with the KDF, why becasue the KDF have the fun consoles, the Federation meh.

The KDF consoles and the Romulan cores I can make some interesting builds.
    GwaoHAD.png