test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Tholian Commander during Dewa III

aexraelaexrael Member Posts: 0 Arc User
Encounter felt a tad over the top compared to how little time one would have spent optimizing the bridge crew at this point. Took a couple tries to get his Lieutenants down before he could go down.
Post edited by aexrael on

Comments

• Options
    lordinsanelordinsane Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I am inclined to agree; given the placement of the encounter in question it is probably somewhat too hard (especially taking into account that not every player is a veteran who knows exactly what to do and how to optimize everything for maximal efficiency).
  • Options
    crownvic2doorcrownvic2door Member Posts: 301 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Some lessons are supposed to be hard, only stuff my ship and crew is outfitted with is from drops and mission rewards up till that mission.I didn't have much issue taking them down, then again I have played the game a long time and have fought the thols extensively so I might be using my past experiences on that...
  • Options
    szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,724 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The main problem with dealing with the Tholians(in general) is the suicidal Boff AI. If they ran out of AoEs instead of into them, targetted mines and stasis drones, and actively revived downed team members, Tholians would be quite fun to fight.

As it is now though, you just get stasis'd, mined, and watch helplessly as your entire team just stands around shooting in random directions while huddled around the big blinky device of instant-death. (That's exactly what happened to me when I did the mission and I just applied face directly to palm.)

I actually haven't done the T5 New Romulan Rep mission on two of my Holodeck characters, despite the great rewards, because of how obnoxious it is to fight some of those groups in there.
  • Options
    dalnar83dalnar83 Member Posts: 2,420 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    It was a little tough yes.
    "Cryptic Studio’s Jack Emmert (2010): Microtransactions are the biggest bunch of nonsense. I like paying one fee and not worrying about it – like my cellphone. The world’s biggest MMO isn’t item based, even though the black market item GDP is bigger than Russia … microtransactions make me want to die.”
  • Options
    momawmomaw Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    My experience was that my team was wiped out all but instantly by a mine.

NPCs avoid plasma grenades and dampening fields, why can't our officers avoid similar terrain hazards?

Also: He was invisible for most of the fight. So that was cool.
  • Options
    purplegamerpurplegamer Member Posts: 1,015 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I also found this battle to be extremely tough; I wiped once. I think it'd be much more palatable if it was just the commander.
  • Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited April 2013
    It was tough, but I didn't feel like it was overly tough. I targeted his mooks first, which I usually do for Tholians, and saved the commander for last. I died but got a rez from my boffs and killed him.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    assimilatedktarassimilatedktar Member Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    It was tough, but I didn't feel like it was overly tough. I targeted his mooks first, which I usually do for Tholians, and saved the commander for last. I died but got a rez from my boffs and killed him.

And now imagine you are new to STO, just got your first ground kit, don't have any shield batteries, no one told you how to rez your BOs and the only Tholians you know are the mooks you killed right before him.^^
    FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
    Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
  • Options
    throttlemanthrottleman Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I agree that it was a bit harder that it should be.

Perhaps replace the secondary spawns with Ensigns?
  • Options
    reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,168 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I one shot him, but it required a lot of running around and rezzing my BOFFs. His AOE damage output could probably be reduced a bit.
  • Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    There's nothing wrong with this encounter.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited April 2013
    And now imagine you are new to STO, just got your first ground kit, don't have any shield batteries, no one told you how to rez your BOs and the only Tholians you know are the mooks you killed right before him.^^

Fair enough, I don't tend to look through the lens of a new player. So I guess that begs the question: how much do you want to coddle new players? Do you want to give them challenges like that around level 8? Not sure I know the answer to that, but I think that looking at it that way you might want to throttle the difficulty down some, but I do think having challenging encounters in the opening levels is good.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    momawmomaw Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Another alternative is to bring in some of those other survey teams that we are explicitly told are on the planet with us. Fight the first waves alone while your second officer underlines the need for reinforcements over comms, and then when the Commander shows up, you get some fire support that beams in on the side of the fight and takes pot shots while using the rubble walls as cover. Give them an immortal medic and prevent the Commander from going over there. That way you can make the Commander be super-badass and really tough, but then the badassery and toughness is overcome through numbers and flanking rather than spawn-reloading. If the player is getting their butt kicked they can just rest behind a rock while their backup keeps the big guy occupied.
  • Options
    deathus0deathus0 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    AOE 1 shotted my entire team a couple of times. Taking out the lieutenants first helped a lot, then i could just focus fire and kite the comander. On a side note my officers tend not to fire on enemies when multiple are present, or use some of their skills or revive.
  • Options
    starchasernxstarchasernx Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I also agree, this battle is too hard to be fun.

Momaw's idea about bringing in more NPC survey teams sounds good.
  • Options
    zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    played everything on Elite so far... and that dude was the first that made me collect a bunch of injuries ;P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bohiapbohiap Member Posts: 535
    edited April 2013
    I agree this mission need to be toned down, just a little bit. As a vet I'm used to dying. As a new player this mission would p*** me off.
  • Options
    ayradyssayradyss Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I would say it should be made a -little bit- easier. Not a great deal. But toning down the AoEs a bit would likely be good. Tossing in an NPC healer -- that might be helpful. My given science officer isn't terribly useful at this point as a healer. (None of my BOffs are really terribly useful at this early stage in the game yet.)

Don't go and over-adjust it -- I wouldn't want to take out all of the challenge -- but a slight tweak to ease up on the insta-party-kills would be good.
    Live long, and prosper.
  • Options
    galacticroamer#3935 galacticroamer Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Yeah, my team died several times but we got him, fun! Don't want things too easy.
    Proud member of the 8th Wing Tactical Armada
  • Options
    sudoku7sudoku7 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2013

The game tells you how to rez your BOs before that encounter.

As others said though, the problem is more the BOFF AI suiciding against their powers. I would suggest that perhaps this commander should lay off some of their powers/abilities that are more adverse to BOFFs for this mission.
  • Options
    dastahldastahl Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    This encounter is not tuned very well for the level you are at. It is getting updated and balanced a bit. We agree that while probably not a challenge for most experienced players, it will destroy new players who are new to this type of gameplay.
  • Options
    dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    dastahl wrote: »
    This encounter is not tuned very well for the level you are at. It is getting updated and balanced a bit. We agree that while probably not a challenge for most experienced players, it will destroy new players who are new to this type of gameplay.

im a very experienced space vet, less so for ground, but i still had to respawn at least 10 times, and draw the LTs away so i could fight the COM alone. with next to no boff abilities or kit abilities, you dont have much to work with in this fight
  • Options
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I am decent at ground combat, so I was able to kill him without too much difficulty (only one respawn, lol). But it's a very difficult encounter generally. It's like throwing a new Fed player now at a Swordmaster on the very first mission.
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Only one repawn needed, but they are a bit tricky. new players would get crushed.
  • Options
    cptshephardcptshephard Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013

Excellent news.

I had some very choice words for that Tholian Commander last night..
  • Options
    ilys65ilys65 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I did not find it that difficult, to be honest, and I'm pretty mediocre at STO. I did not die nor did I have to respawn.

All I did was concentrate on the LTs first (all BOFFs firing on my target), and then set my remaining BOFFs to passive mode. If you can stay out of the COMs AoE range, your BOFFs will too. If your engie and sci BOFFs are still alive, like mine were, they will pretty much keep you alive to solo to COM. At this point in the game, you'll have most of the Ensign BOFF abilities maxed.

A tutorial on how to control your BOFFs could be beneficial. How many of you actually use passive mode, target mode or waypoint mode on a regular basis to micro-manage your BOFFs?
  • Options
    neos472neos472 Member Posts: 580 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    take down the lieutenants first then if ya die respawn and just gang him with your crew easy =)
    manipulator of time and long time space traveler
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    It took me 2 tries. And I can hack Dahar Masters to peices without getting KOed. He seeemed to have a ridic amount of either HP or resist.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    blitzy4blitzy4 Member Posts: 839 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Another thing that could help. When I was given my first kit, I was given the Chronoton Mine one (been a long time since I played an engineer). Although I do like the mines allot, for a first tier kit that might be one of the worst to receive. Perhaps allow the player to select the kit we use, or give us all four, and let your player's play with them. The credits are MUCH needed, as I got next to no weapons drops. At the very worse, those can be sold and personal batteries can be bought.
    jKixCmJ.jpg
    "..and like children playing after sunset, we were surrounded by darkness." -Ruri Hoshino

• Options
    phantomeightphantomeight Member Posts: 567 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Yeah I didn't die, but I had transferred 2 million EC from the account bank and went nuts at the flotilla prior, plus I kept and equipped all the better drops I received. We just scraped by and I had to resuscitate a BOff or two, but we were housing them pretty good. It just that the Tholians can just lay down a lot of damage, perhaps a little too much, very quickly.

For a new player who happens to pick a Rommy char first and haphazardly gears their boffs or doesn't even think to gear their boffs... I think they will get flattened. We all know the tutorial points out equipping stuff for yourself, I don't think I remember anything giving the player a clue about the fact that they can gear their BOffs.

I'd suggest tuning the encounter with the expectations that none of the BOffs have armor of any kind and that they still have their base shields and weapon. I'd say drop the Tholian's damage output, but keep their hit points the same. Make it a tough long battle to instill the respect of the Tholians, but stop them from throwing out squad wipes like candy...