Comments

• Options
    derrico1derrico1 Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    great job !!!!
  • Options
    redfriarredfriar Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I don't really like the class specific traits. Right now you have access to the same skills, boff abilities, ships and equipment(aside from kits) regardless of your class. The only thing that is different between classes is the captain abilities and kits. Kits only being relevant for ground and captain abilities have a long enough cooldown that they act more like added perks, not game changers. So the most meaningful contributor to your playstyle in space combat is the ship you fly. So if you get bored with one style of play, you can just dock and change ships. With class specific traits though, we're going to be pushed more towards specific roles. And leveling up a new character and grinding for equipment for other characters just to try out other classes represents too much of an investment in time and resources for the average casual player.
  • Options
    xlocutusofborgxxlocutusofborgx Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Looks awsome!
    borgsignaturecopy2-zpse8618517.png
    R E S I S T A N C E - I S - F U T I L E
  • Options
    linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    @ Cryptic,

Will this lead to people paying for 'specialized' c-store traits?

Will this lead to the introduction of the $200 c-store packs, which you have introduced into "Neverwinter"?

How expensive will these changes make "Star Trek: Online"?

Have you decided to abandon the "Free to Play" model?

"Legacy of Romulus" is starting to feel a little too expensive. During my first year on "Star Trek: Online", I sporadically spent around $200. How much more will this cost me?
  • Options
    majesticmsfcmajesticmsfc Member Posts: 1,401 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    This is by far the most impressive thing you've done since F2P started, even more so than a new faction. Thank you Cryptic I have tested this out on Tribble and my Lethean now has some decent traits.
    milen93 wrote: »
    Really liked the new Trait system on triblle, but i have 1 question.
    I have normal Trill. If I buy Joined Trill from Z-Store, can I make my normal Trill - Joined?

I would like to know if we can get a re-racial trait. Most of my characters are Aliens or Joined Trill as they were the only real competitive species now with this update I want to be able to have some more diversity with my characters, maybe a Klingon, an Andorian etc.

However I have devoted a large amount of time and money into these characters and simply can't delete them. One has a D'Kora and the Ferengi wardrobe.

So my question is expanding from this new system will re-class (changing from tactical to science for example) and re-racial (from Alien to Orion for example) be the next step from this and be available in the near future?
    Support the Game by Supporting the KDF, equality and uniqueness for all factions!
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    linyive wrote: »
    @ Cryptic,

Will this lead to people paying for 'specialized' c-store traits?

Will this lead to the introduction of the $200 c-store packs, which you have introduced into "Neverwinter"?

"Legacy of Romulus" is starting to feel a little too expensive. During my first year on "Star Trek: Online", I sporadically spent around $200. How much more will this cost me?

It's a Free, everything is free...whatever you need to play is free, anything you want and don't need cost money...where the heck did you get they are abandoning their free 2 play.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    rononmarononma Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    So far looks good!
    I'd also like to be able to change my alien toon over to a liberated Borg as I only chose alien for the better trait options. Maybe make it a free one time use on each pre-existing character login thing?
    ~Sent via Carrier Pigeon~
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    You may find that the next Tribble patch contains a change to roll Efficient into the Borg racial trait and add Elusive to the Borg optional traits. I'm not a big fan of how necessary Accurate and Elusive both are, but I recognize that they are viewed as such and therefore did try to give them to as many species as I could that didn't have them.

Be nice if Liberated Borg got Superior versions of Efficient and Neural Blast.

Honestly, was expecting this to be part of the Trait system, where you could upgrade your traits from lower quality to superior quality.

Also, would've been nice if there was a greater variety to traits, new ones. Like a martial arts ability (Kirk Flip?) or a weapon mastery trait that allows you to have a higher firing rate. You know, something fun.
  • Options
    ussultimatumussultimatum Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Any active species-specific traits that you feel are "meh", please post in the Tribble feedback thread for the Trait revamp. My goal is to leave no traits feeling "meh", so that you can always take the ones you think are cool.
    You may find that the next Tribble patch contains a change to roll Efficient into the Borg racial trait and add Elusive to the Borg optional traits. I'm not a big fan of how necessary Accurate and Elusive both are, but I recognize that they are viewed as such and therefore did try to give them to as many species as I could that didn't have them.

I think your changes overall are positive.

Im also happy that you are opening elusive to Liberated borg and that more choice is good for everyone.

My concern is that the benefits of being alien in the new system are severely diminished.

Standard races now get nearly all of the advantages of an alien, with much wider access,as well as getting a single megatrait that is easily worth several lesser traits on its own.

Some possible compromises:

1) Aliens can select 1 trait from the standard race pool (i.e. the new mega traits)

or

2) Aliens recieve 1 bonus trait selection.
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited April 2013

While I appreciate a lot of what you had to say about the overall big picture aspect of how you're revamping traits, I feel something very specific needs to be said. Just so we're all on the same page.

The reason Aliens were so popular is more than just trait flexibility.

It was one specific trait. Efficient. That's what fueled it as the de facto go to end-game content choice. Efficient. Joined Trill got a slightly similar version of a useful space trait so they were picked too. But Efficient is the be-all end-all space trait at launch and stayed that way. Heck, the other space traits were selectable except for Leadership (which only recently began to actually work) on any other choice.

So make no mistake, Efficient was the benchmark for min-maxxing these past three years. Aliens could then stack Efficient with Elusive or Accuracy or Warp Theorist or Astrophysicist and make a 4 traited captain that was all space buffs, which plays into the fact that Ground Combat is something the players by and large dislike in comparison to space combat, so yeah what you say about flexibility matters. But if Efficient were made available to other species these past three years, Aliens wouldn't have been anywhere near as popular.

Just want to make sure that's known. No beating around the bush. Aliens could train efficient. Vulcans could not. Guess how many more people chose Alien over Vulcan or Ferengi or Betazoid?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Where do you go to change your skills on Tribble I went on quickly and couldnt find it?
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    red01999red01999 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I think your changes overall are positive.

Im also happy that you are opening elusive to Liberated borg and that more choice is good for everyone.

My concern is that the benefits of being alien in the new system are severely diminished.

Standard races now get nearly all of the advantages of an alien, with much wider access,as well as getting a single megatrait that is easily worth several lesser traits on its own.

Agreed. This is a pretty big problem. Is there any possibility of a respecies token at this? This would be an added incentive to pick up, say, C-Store races (e.g. Joined Trill or even Borg with a LTS), and I'm sure I'm not alone in that I don't want to start all over to get a megatrait. I'm a bit concerned for my own Aliens, most of which were supposed to be human hybrids, and if they would be seriously disadvantaged now, what with not having Leadership and such.

Considering how many aliens I've seen that look practically identical to other races (particularly Cardassians, but I've seen many others, including Vulcans, Romulans, Andorians and Jem'Hadar), I am far from alone.
  • Options
    akpaakpa Member Posts: 250 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    awesome! the new trait system looks well done.
    i think the aliens will be under the other races and a changerace token whould be very appreciated.
    if you put more unlockable traits, they should be very hard to get.
    i don't see the point of having unlockable traits from the tour of the galaxy. they should be unique and hard to get.
    for exemple, for doing the 8th or the 9th weave in no win scenario. or you can put some of them from pvp after you have killed 1k fed/kdf ships or captains. in this way you can make the pvp worth something.
    my post's number is higher than smirk's dps
  • Options
    kagasenseikagasensei Member Posts: 526 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The current trait revamp is not changing Bridge Officer trait choices, though if a Bridge Officer has a trait that was improved (such as Limited Telepathy or Acute Senses), they will benefit from the improvement.

I think it's really unfortunate that BOs will now run on a slightly different system. A Bolian officer should have the "Bolian" trait, a Lethean the "Lethean" trait etc.. Having differing systems will just cause confusion among new players.
  • Options
    akpaakpa Member Posts: 250 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    kagasensei wrote: »
    I think it's really unfortunate that BOs will now run on a slightly different system. A Bolian officer should have the "Bolian" trait, a Lethean the "Lethean" trait etc.. Having differing systems will just cause confusion among new players.

i don't this this system will cause too much confusion. new players will start with only 4 traits and they will get more as soon as they level up their rank. in additional new players should read more and discuss more with veterans. after all this is a mmo game not a single player one.
    yesterday dan stahl gave an interview and only 1000 people listen it. when a new patch noted is posted not even 50% from the playerbase read it and this is not very good for an mmo.
    in other words, excuse my french, TRIBBLE the new players who don't read! :))
    my post's number is higher than smirk's dps
  • Options
    hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    the current changes to EPt skills are game ruining. that is not an understatement.

Game ruining ?

I don't see how the changes are going to affect my enjoyment of the game whatsoever.
    I realize that they will have an effect on the PvP crowd, but a thing that primarily affects one subset of the games population is far from game "ruining".

I get that none of us like to see our particular play style and way to enjoy the game affected, but this change will hardly affect the way many people choose to play the game.

Now, understand that I am not a numbers cruncher kind of guy, I just like the pretty 'spolsions and bright shiny pew pew. If this will be affecting PvE gameplay in a very negative way, please, Man, start a thread to tell us what to look out for. Like I said, not a numbers guy, I fully respect all the PvP community who can figure this kind of stuff out. Edit : And appreciate the help

As far as the trait revamp goes, serious Kudos on this redesign. This is actually the first thing about LOR that I am excited about.

I do agree with other posters who have noted that the space class specific traits seem a little underwhelming, but on the whole this entire redesign is top notch.

The idea of further customizing your character through traits gained while ranking up is a very unexpected and welcome addition to the upcoming expansion. I'll say this. My Lethean toon is probably the most thankful of all for the upcoming trait revamp.

While not perfect, this the best thing I've seen "systems" wise in awhile.

Someone please get adjudicatorhawk on some of the other systems in need of balancing. Like many ship and ground powers and how they interact in practice.

So, kudos, can't wait to play with the final version of all this that hits Holodeck.
    http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w192/kenny90_bucket/gif-picard-clapping.gif
  • Options
    polie05polie05 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    hippiejon wrote: »
    Game ruining ?

I don't see how the changes are going to affect my enjoyment of the game whatsoever.
    I realize that they will have an effect on the PvP crowd, but a thing that primarily affects one subset of the games population is far from game "ruining".

snip

Actually the PvP community pretty much carries the game. We buy everything, every ship bundle, every specie, every c-store item. Granted maybe not everyone has bought everything themselves, but a most of them have several c-store ships that where bought just for the console and then the ship was discarded. We buy hundreds of keys at a time to open boxes to get a ship that we may only be once again taking a console out of. Crytic need to listen the frak up and stop TRIBBLE the PvP community over and over and over. How about a new damn map for once or open up the foundry to PvP maps if you to dang lazy to make them.
  • Options
    vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Yeah I think you have to be a pvp'er to care about skillpoints and traits, mostly.

As a stf grinder I am mainly into animations and I still use my faulty build I picked when I started playing.

Reasoning being, if it doesn't have an animation it's not real since I won't feel any difference on stf.

But sure enough in pvp it's purely about the numbers so I can see where you are coming from.

And about the alien you have to remember a lot of people picked it for the tailor options too.
  • Options
    zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Question:

will the traits be split in space and ground?
    i mean, will we be forced into selecting, say 5 space and 4 ground traits?

The Skilltree is split into space and ground sections
    There are 5 DOff Active Roster Slots for ground and 5 for space.

If traits are not split into space and ground, we will have the space pvp junkies selecting 9 space traits.

Nobody complained so far that we did not get 10 Space DOff Active Roster slots but 5.
    In fact everybody seems to do his best to get the best DOffs for ground and for space instead of just concentrating onto space.

That is just how the game is. So i would not see anybody complaining about having to use some Ground Traits.

IMHO splitting the traits and forcing the space only junkies down into a competitive format for players who like both would be kind of important here.

Also i would just remove Elusive and Accurate, if everybody has them, they counteract each other and nothing is gained by anyone, you only loose out if you don't choose them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    alopenalopen Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    and now i find that that trait is bared on that species, or theres some kind of bug. the traits are terribly buggy on tribble right now. if it is intentional that lib borg cant get the elusive trait, thats UNACCEPTABLE. this is a somewhat premium species, your not making it desirable if you bar the best trait there is from it. i wish you would have told me back at season 7 that you were going to TRIBBLE over that character so i would not have wasted so much time and money on it, at this rate it will forever be mediocre

See this is why I didn't roll a Klingon for any of my KDF toons. I have to completely agree that opening up those two traits for all races is a complete must. To be honest, I have no idea why those traits arent open to all races. Humans might be the only race with a legitimate reason for not getting elusive since leadership has a nice counter bonus.
  • Options
    tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    zerobang wrote: »
    Question:

will the traits be split in space and ground?
    i mean, will we be forced into selecting, say 5 space and 4 ground traits?

The Skilltree is split into space and ground sections
    There are 5 DOff Active Roster Slots for ground and 5 for space.

If traits are not split into space and ground, we will have the space pvp junkies selecting 9 space traits.

Nobody complained so far that we did not get 10 Space DOff Active Roster slots but 5.
    In fact everybody seems to do his best to get the best DOffs for ground and for space instead of just concentrating onto space.

That is just how the game is. So i would not see anybody complaining about having to use some Ground Traits.

IMHO splitting the traits and forcing the space only junkies down into a competitive format for players who like both would be kind of important here.

Also i would just remove Elusive and Accurate, if everybody has them, they counteract each other and nothing is gained by anyone, you only loose out if you don't choose them.

Very bad idea. I am happy with 2 ground and 7 space traits. No need to force people to choose both.

Also, did it ever occur to you that in PVE, elusive and accurate can be effective and it is really a gain outside pvp?
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I like what I'm seeing in the new trait system so far (though haven't gotten onto Tribble yet to see first hand).

I do have a concern, though. It seems the new traits will expand the number of clickable powers, which I would ordinarily consider a good thing. However, I play on a laptop and the screen real-estate is getting pretty tight. At this rate people are going to have to break down and learn keybinds.

(I freely admit I'm lazy...)

The optional second power tray is helpful, but it's fixed in size and you can't change the orientation. I liked the feature in later versions of CoH where you could change the shape of the extra power trays to make them fit better where you wanted them.

I know a change is coming that will reduce the overall size of the power trays, but we're still going to have issues with click traits that get hidden because there's no room to put them on a visible tray.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    bluegeek wrote: »
    I like what I'm seeing in the new trait system so far (though haven't gotten onto Tribble yet to see first hand).

I do have a concern, though. It seems the new traits will expand the number of clickable powers, which I would ordinarily consider a good thing. However, I play on a laptop and the screen real-estate is getting pretty tight. At this rate people are going to have to break down and learn keybinds.

(I freely admit I'm lazy...)

The optional second power tray is helpful, but it's fixed in size and you can't change the orientation. I liked the feature in later versions of CoH where you could change the shape of the extra power trays to make them fit better where you wanted them.

I know a change is coming that will reduce the overall size of the power trays, but we're still going to have issues with click traits that get hidden because there's no room to put them on a visible tray.

Agreed. A third ground power tray may be needed. Even on holodeck I have to put less useful abilities like mind meld or nerve pinch on a hidden bar, because health hypos and nanite ressurection cloud is just better.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • Options
    tsurutafan01tsurutafan01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The last thing this game needs is more clickable powers, but since the designers seem to hate auras, I'm not sure where else we go.

I'm actually dreading the inevitable level cap raise to 60 in a "season" or two because odds are pretty good it will lead to needing a fourth tray in space play... which is really moving into ridiculous territory.

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
  • Options
    ensignswensonensignswenson Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    We get pacification with certain Betazoid bridge officers but its never been in the trait list for playable captains. As long as the trait system is getting an overhaul perhaps its time to correct this oversight. It would give people more of a reason to play Betazoids and if you haven't noticed there's not a lot of them running around ESD.
  • Options
    inputend21inputend21 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Does this mean gold players will get respecs for dilithuim instead of zen??
  • Options
    furriesfurries Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    linyive wrote: »
    @ Cryptic,

If they abandon Free to Play, I would be kicked out of Star Trek Online beacuse I have not became a gold member, It would not be a good idea. I prefer if I have access to play on there server than to be thrown out the door.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Fastest Hedgehog Alive
  • Options
    lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    inputend21 wrote: »
    Does this mean gold players will get respecs for dilithuim instead of zen??
    The way I read the Blog, there will be respecs in the C-Store, purchaseable via Zen, available to anyone. Gold players will also have an opportunity to purchase them in the Dilithium Store.
    ...Additional trait respecs will be available in the C- Store, and Gold players will be able to purchase both trait and reputation respecs in the Dilithium Store at a discounted rate.
    I'm not sure what the part about "at a discounted rate" means. I conjecture that it means anyone can buy from the Dil Store (too), but Golds get them cheaper in the Dil Store, or only Golds can purchase in the Dil Store, and the price will be cheaper in the Dil Store than the equivalent value of Zen in the C-Store.

Example: If Respecs cost 500 Zen in the C-Store, that's worth (an ever-changing, but approximate) 50k Dilithium. Silvers would pay 50k in the Dil Store (if they get access to Respecs this way, at all), but Golds may only have to play 30k Dil. Or something like that, anyway...

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • Options
    frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I would like further clarification on what's happening with the boff traits.
    The current trait revamp is not changing Bridge Officer trait choices, though if a Bridge Officer has a trait that was improved (such as Limited Telepathy or Acute Senses), they will benefit from the improvement.

1. Will boffs keep their current species traits or will they get the new species traits that the captains are getting? If boffs keep their current species traits, then this dual system will be confusing to new players. If boffs get the new species traits, then some boffs may wind up with only 2 or 3 traits. Will they get additional traits to maintain their number of traits at 4?

2. Creative, basic creative, and superior creative no longer seem useful for tac boffs, because they have limited healing abilities. Will tac boffs get a different trait instead?
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png