test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Free Respec for us all?

baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
I was wondering if with the introduction of the new trait system a complete and free respec for each existing character was planed in may.

On a related subject, are there any plans to reduce the cost for a single respec? 5 dollars seems way too much considering the constant changes to the game.
Also the way the game works with ship types and powers, it nearly is obligatory to buy a respec together with a new ship.
Go pro or go home
Post edited by baudl on

Comments

• thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'm sure they'll give you a free respect.

As for the costs, what "constant changes?" The Skill Tree hasn't changed since FTP. This is the first Trait change since launch. And since most people get to VA/LG in a week or two they've basically established themselves into their end-game identity fairly quickly. It's not Cryptic's fault if people decide to play several different ships at end-game.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • tangolighttangolight Member Posts: 777 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Yes, we'll get a respec. It was in the Tribble patch notes.
  • baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    tangolight wrote: »
    Yes, we'll get a respec. It was in the Tribble patch notes.

good news, thx

on "the constant changes", the reputation skills pop into mind...i think atleast 2 changes since they released those.
    Go pro or go home
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Full respect or just a trait respect? I got the impression it was just going to be a trait respect only. I'd love to be wrong though.
  • millimidgetmillimidget Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    It's not Cryptic's fault if people decide to play several different ships at end-game.
    That's really the wrong way to think about it.

If you can improve the play experience by making re-specs cheaper (or free), you'd be crazy not to.

Maintaining it as a currency sink or a revenue source is short-sighted.

They should want me playing several different ships at endgame, because I'd be more inclined to spend more money on that than I would be if I'm also facing a $5 surcharge every time I want to switch ships so that I can suitably customize my skills.

Similarly, they should want me playing multiple characters at endgame, because I'll spend more cash on ships. Antiquated mechanics such as per character reputation bars undermine this.
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle
    edited April 2013
    That's really the wrong way to think about it.

If you can improve the play experience by making re-specs cheaper (or free), you'd be crazy not to.
    First, anyone can go to Tribble and test builds, swap ships, do whatever they want for free to their heart's content, and then come to Holodeck and decide to implement them or not. No one needs to do all their testing on Holodeck - and thus doesn't need to buy tons of Respecs.

Second, at 8k refined Dilithium per day anyone can get a free Respec in less then 1 week. The people who grind more, like me, can do it even quicker - I routinely refine 15-20k per day so for me it's a standard 2-3 days of playing to get a free Respec.

It's not a major hardship.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
    edited April 2013
    But still a hardship, and one which probably doesn't benefit Cryptic as much as not having it in place would.

Most players aren't going to go through the hassle of going to Tribble to test. I don't even know what it entails. I'm also not interested in wasting hours on a test server when I could be spending those hours on the live server.

Most players, as per dev statements, don't hit the 8k refining cap; I know I don't bother to any longer (I'd sooner leave the game than chase the 8k daily again). With the rising zen exchange rate, it's going beyond a week of daily capping for a single respec token.

The whole point is to get players to part with their cash. They'll spend it more willingly and in greater quantities if they're spending it on things they want, like ships. Respec costs (and rep bars) are antiquated holdovers from older subscription MMOs, and warrant being designed out of the genre, especially as it moves towards F2P. Respecs are not a service players are eager to pay for, but rather a service that developers feel they can get away with attaching a punitive price upon.

There's no justification for a respec cost other than "because we can." Next they'll start slapping cash pricing onto in-game mail and the exchanges, "because they can." I'm sure you'll be the first to tell me that it's not a big deal.
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited April 2013
    Yes the respec with free with the new season AND it's a full respec
  • duaths1duaths1 Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    it's simple. in the future, you plan characters for ships they are going to fly at endgame, and trait/skill them accordingly.

you will just NEVER succeed in building an all-around "uber" toon for everything,
    but there is a way how to do an " average allrounder" which will do average to good in PVE, and any ship. If that is enough for you.

If not, either pay 5, grind for it OR buy a LFT, we are getting like 7 respecs for every toon.
  • vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I slapped my skillpoints on randomly a year ago being totally clueless.

I picked the wrong, class, wrong traits and placed my skillpoints wrong.

Playing with it to this day. Unless you got bored enough to pvp it won't matter, at all. Belee dat.
    edited April 2013
    duaths1 wrote: »
    it's simple. in the future, you plan characters for ships they are going to fly at endgame, and trait/skill them accordingly.

you will just NEVER succeed in building an all-around "uber" toon for everything,
    but there is a way how to do an " average allrounder" which will do average to good in PVE, and any ship. If that is enough for you.

If not, either pay 5, grind for it OR buy a LFT, we are getting like 7 respecs for every toon.

simply put...NO. the average joe does not plan his "next" toon for a specific ship. The average player of this casual MMO sees a ship he likes and buys it. Now the tricky part is that he may had skillpoints in a science power that isn't even possible to slot on his new ship, ergo those skillpoints become USELESS.

and YES you can succeed in building an "uber" all around build...simply by not going for specific sci powers like particle generators, etc...
    There are skills you will allways max (mainly in the tac and engi section), or keep high since they are allways in use on any ship. What you are unable to have is a highly specialized build like tricobald bomber and so on.
    Anyway this is going offtopic.

trying out something new with my main character shouldn't have a price on it (regardless of f2p or lts), and sure as hell not one of 5 dollars for each time i want to try something new. I agree that testing on tribble is an idea (i actually did that twice in 2 years) but it still leaves me with buying one on the live server once i got it setup just right.
    i loved the respec mechanic back then, when it did cost the stuff that is now expertise (i think it was 40k or so?)
    I could even understand if it cost a few thousand dilithium (15k-20k), or a million EC, or a million Expertise.

in my opinion skilltrees are stuff from MMOs from the last millenium, and STO doesn't even need them since consoles or kits could easily be that customisation factor every RPG must have.
    Go pro or go home
  • donutsmasherdonutsmasher Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    First, anyone can go to Tribble and test builds, swap ships, do whatever they want for free to their heart's content, and then come to Holodeck and decide to implement them or not. No one needs to do all their testing on Holodeck - and thus doesn't need to buy tons of Respecs.

Second, at 8k refined Dilithium per day anyone can get a free Respec in less then 1 week. The people who grind more, like me, can do it even quicker - I routinely refine 15-20k per day so for me it's a standard 2-3 days of playing to get a free Respec.

An interesting if somewhat misguided post. First lets clear up your biggest error. The respecs you get by grinding Dil across multiple characters for 3 days (or more depending on Zen/Dil rates) are not free.

You have to use time that could otherwise be spent actually playing the game, rather than having it be like a second job. Secondly there is the fact that if you have to use Dilithium to trade up to Zen to pay for the respecs, then that is Diithium that you do not have available for other things, like Fleet weapons, Fleet projects or Reputation items.

You then have to spend more time getting more Dilithium to replace the amount you just used on respecs. That's what? 6 days, maybe more if you don't have 3 or 4 characters to grind Dil on and by that point you would probably be more than a little annoyed at not having been able to play the actual game.

Now to your point about using Tribble to test on. While I and most others would agree that it is a good place to test out ship fittings and skill setups, it has absolutely nothing to do with the point the other poster made. If Cryptics goal is to make as much money as possible, then offering free respecs would get people buying a great deal more ships than I suspect they do at present. This would also encourage people to play as different careers, knowing that they could fly multiple ships on their Sci, Eng and Tac characters.

Or we could stick with your idea and limit both the players options and Cryptics funding.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sig by my better half.
  • tinkerstormtinkerstorm Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Yeah, because it's not as if the devs are EVER going to make changes to things like, say, the way all the EPtX skills work.
  • spork87spork87 Member Posts: 239 Arc User
    edited April 2013

thats how i spec, and it means i still have 4 tokens on my main, 5 on both alts, because i built and all rounder spec while leveling up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2013
    An interesting if somewhat misguided post. First lets clear up your biggest error. The respecs you get by grinding Dil across multiple characters for 3 days (or more depending on Zen/Dil rates) are not free.
    Free time is free time no matter how you want to categorize it. Whether you spend 3 hours sitting in front of a TV, or 3 hours in your back yard measuring your grass, or 3 hours playing a game, it's still your free time to you. It has no intrinsic value. People don't get second jobs to fill their free time - unless they are in serious need of money. They use that free time for rest and recreation. As such it has no dollar value.

TV guide did a survey a few years ago to find out why TV viewership was in decline. What they learned was that the 2.5 hours more people spent watching TV per day was being supplanted by many gamers using that time to play games instead - not just MMOs but all console and computer games. People were simply substituting one form of recreation for another.
    edited April 2013
    Free time is free time no matter how you want to categorize it. Whether you spend 3 hours sitting in front of a TV, or 3 hours in your back yard measuring your grass, or 3 hours playing a game, it's still your free time to you. It has no intrinsic value. People don't get second jobs to fill their free time - unless they are in serious need of money. They use that free time for rest and recreation. As such it has no dollar value.

TV guide did a survey a few years ago to find out why TV viewership was in decline. What they learned was that the 2.5 hours more people spent watching TV per day was being supplanted by many gamers using that time to play games instead - not just MMOs but all console and computer games. People were simply substituting one form of recreation for another.

If time has no intrinsic value, then why do people seek to "make the most" of said time? Why do people seek jobs with ever increasing pay grades? Why do so many people across the world use the phrase "Value for money"?

Free time has a very real value to a great many people, to say otherwise is disingenuous. Entire industries rely solely on that single, inescapable fact. Movie production companies, musicians, games companies and publishing houses base their production and distribution of products on the premise that they have to make and sell something that people are willing to spend both their money AND their time on.

Now as far as I can see Cryptic is a games company, Perfect World are a producer/publisher/distribution firm and as such they both have an inherent interest in convincing customers that their free time and money should be spent on one of THEIR products. This is even more important when a product is "Free to Play" and relies on consumers making many many small purchases.

It should also be noted that the study done by TV Guide indicated that viewing numbers actually increased, rather than decreased. It showed that out of the 10,000 people it polled (An astonishingly small pool to draw conclusions from I might add) 5,800 of those people responded by saying they had switched from watching traditional "live" broadcasts, to watching via catch up TV or time delayed viewing online.

Why were people making such changes to their viewing habits? Because companies were offering services that the end consumer deemed to be "better value for money" and a "Better use of free time". Viewers were able to choose when they watched a certain show, rather than being restricted to only viewing it at certain times and on certain days.

The lesson here is that if companies wish to survive in a market where consumers are becoming ever more savvy and ever more concerned with justifying how they spend their time and money, then said companies need to be aware that time really does have value as well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sig by my better half.
    edited April 2013
    If time has no intrinsic value, then why do people seek to "make the most" of said time?
    Save it for your philosophy class. By your definition the time I spend sitting on the toilet each day has monetary value. I guess I should sit there with my laptop and work. Then it would all make sense to you. :)
    edited April 2013
    Save it for your philosophy class. By your definition the time I spend sitting on the toilet each day has monetary value. I guess I should sit there with my laptop and work. Then it would all make sense to you. :)

Why do you think most companies don't pay for lunch breaks and limit toilet breaks both in frequency and duration?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sig by my better half.
    edited April 2013
    Why do you think most companies don't pay for lunch breaks and limit toilet breaks both in frequency and duration?
    Most companies don't pay you to play games during work time either, do they? Your personal time is not your business time. It's really just that simple.
  • tangolighttangolight Member Posts: 777 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Yeah, because it's not as if the devs are EVER going to make changes to things like, say, the way all the EPtX skills work.

Oh look, they're doing that. Oh look, they're giving us a free respec in the same patch that these changes come out in.

You may or may not be right, but you failed to prove your point with this example.
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    baudl wrote: »
    The average player of this casual MMO sees a ship he likes and buys it. Now the tricky part is that he may had skillpoints in a science power that isn't even possible to slot on his new ship, ergo those skillpoints become USELESS.

Since that average player "bought" the new ship, that same average player can also "buy" a respec token. From the same store he bought the ship.
    in my opinion skilltrees are stuff from MMOs from the last millenium

Perhaps you mean last decade? The MMOs in the 1990s, namely Ultima Online and Everquest, weren't exactly utilizing skill trees the way World of ******** and the MMOs that followed it did.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2013
    so i went over the dev blog about the traits...and they specifically mention that respecs will be given ONLY for traits.
    With all the changes we?re making to the trait system, all existing characters will be given a free trait respec when Legacy of Romulus goes live, and all newly made characters will start with one trait respec so that players can fully customize their traits after character creation. Additional trait respecs will be available in the C- Store, and Gold players will be able to purchase both trait and reputation respecs in the Dilithium Store at a discounted rate. We?ll also be adding a bundle of skill, reputation, and trait respecs in the C- Store at a discount.

so no skill respec? only trait respec?
    They even go further down the rabbits hole and split respecs into trait,-reputation and skill respecs?
    So those bundles they "offer at a discount" is basically what should be given any existing character for free in my opinion with the implementation of those changes.

well, everybody has to eat.
    Go pro or go home
  • age03age03 Member Posts: 1,664 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    It will be free with the update but not permanent as with all PWE games restating cost zen.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
    USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
    Star Trek Gamers
    edited April 2013
    If Cryptics goal is to make as much money as possible, then offering free respecs would get people buying a great deal more ships than I suspect they do at present. This would also encourage people to play as different careers, knowing that they could fly multiple ships on their Sci, Eng and Tac characters.
    Ultimately this is what it's really about.

Similarly, the reputation grind over multiple characters on an account is equally guilty of keeping me from giving Cryptic my money.

I'm sure the bulk of their business is in selling ships; they should be looking at ways to sell more ships, not ways to nickle-and-dime me away from the game entirely.

I should probably be thankful that not wanting to pay the $5 respec cost will probably keep me from spending 5-10x as much on an impulse purchase, and per character reputation grinds will probably keep me from spending $50-100+ exploring ships for my alts.
    By your definition the time I spend sitting on the toilet each day has monetary value.
    It does. The game's entire business model is built on that idea.
  • deyvaddeyvad Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I have more respec tokens that I could ever need.
    Ahh the joy of a LTS and veteran perks.
    edited April 2013
    baudl wrote: »
    so i went over the dev blog about the traits...and they specifically mention that respecs will be given ONLY for traits.

Since the trait system is what's changing, that makes sense. Just because you're switching from Soldier to Astrophysicist, doesn't mean you need to reallocate your Driver Coil points.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2013
    Since the trait system is what's changing, that makes sense. Just because you're switching from Soldier to Astrophysicist, doesn't mean you need to reallocate your Driver Coil points.

I think perhaps the point here is that offering a full respec would be a good idea. Being able to reallocate your points to enable you to fly more ships per character, more ships means more money for Cryptic, means more funding for future development. Now how can that possibly be a bad thing?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sig by my better half.
  • elessymelessym Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I think perhaps the point here is that offering a full respec would be a good idea. Being able to reallocate your points to enable you to fly more ships per character, more ships means more money for Cryptic, means more funding for future development. Now how can that possibly be a bad thing?

Also means less character slots sold, less character specific items sold (storage, doffs slots, lockbox ships), etc.... Which means less money for Cryptic.

Only Cryptic and PWE have any clue which effect would be stronger. It's possible they're making the wrong decision, but they have much better information to base it on than a couple of forum posts saying "I would spend more if..."
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
    edited April 2013
    I think perhaps the point here is that offering a full respec would be a good idea.
    I think what Cryptic is telling you all is that you're already more than willing to buy both new ships and new tokens. So it's a better idea to not give out a free respec when the change has nothing to do with skill talents.

My god people, there's a pretty big chance that in the next year they will change the skill tree. That will come with a free respec.

Simmer down. Have fun with the new trait system and the ability to change out your traits for free.

Also, show your love and support of the game and Cryptic, BUY those respec tokens! Just like you buy them ships! How else can the freemium model work if you're not willing to spend any money on the things worth buying?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2013
    deyvad wrote: »
    I have more respec tokens that I could ever need.
    Ahh the joy of a LTS and veteran perks.

good 4 u, and i 2 have more than enough respec tokens on my alts...but not on my 2 year old main which wants to change to a new ship 2 from time 2 time.
    Problem is, i skilled particle generators and graviton generators since i used sci vessels on this one...now all ships with only a ensign or ltd sci boff slot kind of mean that those skillpoints are wasted on this ships...and i don't like going around with useless skillpoints.
    I guess being encouraged to try out something new is also discouraged by those price tags.

Also i'm not criticising to buy respec tokens...it is the insane price. respeccing shouldn't even cost anything.
    I should be able to play as a tank or supporter one encounter and the next as a DD in an escort, without having a pricetag attached to it each time i want to switch and still be most effective.
    Thats waht the whole shipyard and multiple ship storage would suggest in the first place...a ship for each situation. As it is right now, that is not possible without spending zen or dilithium (in huge amounts) and is not encouraged by the way skill system work in this game.

i would even go as far as to say the skilltree in STO is redundant, if consoles would boost the abilities you use more directly. (tactical consoles for attack patterns, or targeting systems, ...)

but everybody has his own opinion, and i try to respect that. If cryptic has numbers to support that respec tokens gives them enough reveneu to keep them and even extend them, then they would be fools not to milk that cow even more.
    Go pro or go home