Install Arc
Options

Tired of Cloakers

2»

Comments

• Options
    westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,215 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    All right that's it in just gonna start bombarding ground warzones with torpedos and shuttle hulls until people stop cloaking.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • Options
    amahoodamahood Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    delete post.
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    amahood wrote: »
    best way to defeat a cloaker? I defeat them all the time. Use the Dreadnought Cruiser, use it's special cloaking device, and travel around to protect fellow federation ships.

fly above , then when an enemy decloaks to attack the fed, you decloak and bombard the cloaker with all you got! Use a tractor beam to hold the Beeps in position and keep hitting them with all ya got!

since the Dreadnought Cruiser has a large hull and is a Cruiser, it's tough, and if it is hit hard, use your engineering bridge officers to heal it.

Hit those cloakers with your Spinal Phaser Lance, and BAMM!!! those suckers are goners!

BWAHAHAHAHHAAA

Then cloak again and get ready once more brother!

I do it all the time with my Dreadnought Cruiser, it rocks!

I think they may have been referring to actual players and not npcs :)
  • Options
    dma1986dma1986 Member Posts: 541 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    best way to defeat a cloaker? I defeat them all the time. Use the Dreadnought Cruiser, use it's special cloaking device, and travel around to protect fellow federation ships.

fly above , then when an enemy decloaks to attack the fed, you decloak and bombard the cloaker with all you got! Use a tractor beam to hold the Beeps in position and keep hitting them with all ya got!

since the Dreadnought Cruiser has a large hull and is a Cruiser, it's tough, and if it is hit hard, use your engineering bridge officers to heal it.

Hit those cloakers with your Spinal Phaser Lance, and BAMM!!! those suckers are goners!

BWAHAHAHAHHAAA

Then cloak again and get ready once more brother!

I do it all the time with my Dreadnought Cruiser, it rocks!
    Care to explain how you use a Dreadnought Cruiser in ground combat, which is what the OP was referring to?
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I think they may have been referring to actual players and not npcs :)

thank you for telling me.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    dma1986 wrote: »
    Care to explain how you use a Dreadnought Cruiser in ground combat, which is what the OP was referring to?

only if you care to explain why your so rude to people.....
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    only if you care to explain why your so rude to people.....
    I have a low tolerance for morons (not a personal attack*, just stating a fact).

*Unless you wish to admit to being a moron.
  • Options
    wdocwdoc Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I do agree that the perception end of the cloaking deal is what needs attention. Cloakers tend to take advantage of certain situations, which is ok. You just need to pay attention to your surroundings. If you look at your mini map and one is missing and the other team rushes you...that is a good indication it is in an attempt to inflict damage or put buffs on cd for a incoming cloak. As said before, if you straggle behind a group....that is bad stay with the group or die alone.

The one thing that gets me is some cloakers will sit there and let their team take a beating while waiting for buffs. If there are 3 people on a person...uncloak and help regardless of the cd. I watched yesterday as a cloaker watched someone run a mf virus....when the other person was by themselves and wouldn't uncloak. Grief? I don't know. But this goes onto running with a solid team.

There are sci and engy kits that have the abilities to shut down or make people less of a target. The upcoming traits on tribble, do have perception buffs, will help give some resistance to damage.

In all ground pvp is best played in a team. The things that kill ground pvp is:
    Griefers: I don't like this fleet so im going to run in and take 31 deaths. I'll afk it. Ill beam and leave you down one. ill hold the virus and hide.

Grinders: They do attempt to play, but are just their for the rewards. In this situation....just leave and let them get their stuff.

Zone chat: Why is this a reason? Far too many people use zone chat as a platform to complain or flame people. I cover it with my map and I don't respond to anything until the end.

The only way to pvp on the ground is in a team. If you go in alone there are too many factors that are working against you. I understand people hate premades running in the qs, but that is fast becoming the only protection to serveral issues.
    Doc of Hammer
  • Options
    johnharrisonloljohnharrisonlol Member Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    simeion1 wrote: »
    Come on over and try it. You laugh at us. Have you tried it? Most of us welcome new players.

He won't the vast majority of space guys would get rolled in ground pvp since they don't have 4 other guys getting ready to jerk them off with heals. Without rsp and a 60k hull to hide behind. Plus their space macros won't work so well in ground pvp. And from all the QQ i see about LOlspace on the forums he might want to think before he posts.

As an experienced player having spent time playing all kits and classes I can safely and for sure say the total stealth value provided from the covert trait and operative kit is way overpowered. ALSO covert plus the mk 12 distortion field power provides enough stealth value to allow a player to fire while cloaked or launch cloaked grenades at 15 meters and beyond towards a perceptionally challenged player.

Now to all the suggestions I read as to fixes. Playing with other kit powers is NOT the solution. nerfing tactical damage is NOT the solution. Even increasing perception is NOT the full solution. People seem to forget before covert worked and before set powers cloakers were still an issue due to lack of available dodge. But they were more easily countered due to no perfect cloak and no omega cloak.

The solution itself lies in nerfing one of two things. Either nerf stealth module and distortion fields base values so that when they stack with covert that can't produce a perfect cloak under any circumstance. Basically a player with no perception buff up should be able to see a cloaked player at about 1 to 2 meters. And with perception buffs up at maybe 10 to 15 meters roughly. This takes away the one shot pulsewave lunge attack while still leaving cloak viable as a ranged attack.

Yes a 5 man organized premade can easily counter any noob cloaker and we in Hammer do so well ;P but in general perfect cloakers are holding the ground community back from getting larger since newbies are tired of getting cloak ***** on ground. It is quite sad ground pvp can easily be more balanced than space pvp with just a few more changes and fixes. We are getting closer but each time we take a step forward we take 2 steps back it seems. Although I must say I am grateful that we only have one piece of OVERPOWERED p2w TRIBBLE that holds ground pvp back while space is littered with that junk from both lobi and the z store. The stasis pistol is the only one in the lot that screws up good ground pvp matches. The rest of the lobi store gear and sets are quite useless pvp actually.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    valoreah wrote: »
    If you're being 1 shot in PvP, then you have bigger problems than not being able to see cloaked ships...

LMFAO amazing I won't even clue this poor guy in for the content of his post. Even though he is correct about being one shot IN SPACE!
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'm playing you a violin, but you might not notice cause it's cloaked.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I'm playing you a violin, but you might not notice cause it's cloaked.
    We can hear you activating its buffs, because of how close you are to us.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    On another side note. I notice the ones who completely defend cloak in it's current state are players who typically rely on it as a crutch and couldn't play a tact any other way. Just an observation based on encounters with these players over the past few years. Sadly this holds true to a good 90 percent of the tacts I have ever come across in game.

What worries me more now is with the potential for all ground traits on a toon now is that EVERYONE tact or non tact now has room for covert. That being said if nothing gets changed to the stealth values anyone using the mk 12 distortion field is going to be able to Omega cloak and fire away. Strangely enough I noticed distortion field recently having a -50 environmental damage on the toolip. I assume this was put into the power to stop omega cloaked physicists. At the same time anyone can still fire while cloaked from enough distance as well as launch cloaked grenades. I wonder if orbitals can be omega cloaked too?

Honestly if nothing gets changed to stealth before season 8 goes live I will never bother rolling my sci again let alone make a new engy. And I am sure ground is going to be full on Star tacts online come season 8.
  • Options
    emp1591emp1591 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    He won't the vast majority of space guys would get rolled in ground pvp since they don't have 4 other guys getting ready to jerk them off with heals. Without rsp and a 60k hull to hide behind. Plus their space macros won't work so well in ground pvp. And from all the QQ i see about LOlspace on the forums he might want to think before he posts.

As an experienced player having spent time playing all kits and classes I can safely and for sure say the total stealth value provided from the covert trait and operative kit is way overpowered. ALSO covert plus the mk 12 distortion field power provides enough stealth value to allow a player to fire while cloaked or launch cloaked grenades at 15 meters and beyond towards a perceptionally challenged player.

Now to all the suggestions I read as to fixes. Playing with other kit powers is NOT the solution. nerfing tactical damage is NOT the solution. Even increasing perception is NOT the full solution. People seem to forget before covert worked and before set powers cloakers were still an issue due to lack of available dodge. But they were more easily countered due to no perfect cloak and no omega cloak.

The solution itself lies in nerfing one of two things. Either nerf stealth module and distortion fields base values so that when they stack with covert that can't produce a perfect cloak under any circumstance. Basically a player with no perception buff up should be able to see a cloaked player at about 1 to 2 meters. And with perception buffs up at maybe 10 to 15 meters roughly. This takes away the one shot pulsewave lunge attack while still leaving cloak viable as a ranged attack.

Yes a 5 man organized premade can easily counter any noob cloaker and we in Hammer do so well ;P but in general perfect cloakers are holding the ground community back from getting larger since newbies are tired of getting cloak ***** on ground. It is quite sad ground pvp can easily be more balanced than space pvp with just a few more changes and fixes. We are getting closer but each time we take a step forward we take 2 steps back it seems. Although I must say I am grateful that we only have one piece of OVERPOWERED p2w TRIBBLE that holds ground pvp back while space is littered with that junk from both lobi and the z store. The stasis pistol is the only one in the lot that screws up good ground pvp matches. The rest of the lobi store gear and sets are quite useless pvp actually.

I do agree that the stealth module/distortion field + covert is a huge advantage but, if the abilities in themselves were nerfed then that would render it useless to those who don't have covert and if they nerfed covert then it would tick a lot of people off as the covert skill is highly advertised for caitain toons.

I still believe that the power of the damage and kick back ability of the kit is a major problem. In a group you don't always have the ability to hear the buffs pop as they could be anyones buffs. I do agree in a 1v1 you can hear the buffs and know what to expect and it gives you some time to counter at least, most of the time by running and letting the buffs wear off.

Now cloakers have the ability to counter the only debuff tactical officers have against taking damage, which is why I highly suggested taking battle strategies off and adding the accelerator ability.. or they could switch the ability of battle strategies back to where it was so we are at least able to counter with suppressing fire.

And no matter if they nerf the covert or cloaking ability, we still face a huge problem of multiple KB's from arc + lunge/pounce combo.

I do however think that perception from the new faction, will increase our ability to counter cloakers with ease, as we will see them coming but.. will that really fix the kit? Probably not as, like I said, it will make it pretty much useless for non-covert players.

To be honest, the main fix would be to completely revamp all kits so that we don't face the problem we are at now... which is, most kits are laughable at best or completely over powered. I didn't suggest that though, seeing as it most likely would get shot down instantly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Working as intended"... 1 year later they "fix" it.
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    And what if you are on Otha trying to complete a mission and you have no team?

If you're looking to do Otha, bring a friend. Or play it at 6 a.m. when those meanies are in bed. In fact, for places like Otha I've found very consistently over the past three years, choosing an off-peak playtime gets you the most bang for your buck with that freakin encounter/zone.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    radkipradkip Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    If you're looking to do Otha, bring a friend. Or play it at 6 a.m. when those meanies are in bed. In fact, for places like Otha I've found very consistently over the past three years, choosing an off-peak playtime gets you the most bang for your buck with that freakin encounter/zone.
    Psh, 6 AM is usually when I'm shutting the zone down because nobody else is on and there's nothing to do at 6 AM.

Fanfiction! ZOMG! Read it now!
    kate-wintersbite.deviantart.com/art/0x01-Treachery-293641403
  • Options
    the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    they could require that certain kit buffs cause a 15 sec CD on cloak.

doesn't the jem'hadar tribble help you see them btw?
  • Options
    carcharodon1975carcharodon1975 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    they could require that certain kit buffs cause a 15 sec CD on cloak.

doesn't the jem'hadar tribble help you see them btw?

It does,problem is that the total stealth value can exceed the total perception value by an amount that would still leave cloaked targets invisible when they are right in front of you.

I still believe cloaking on the ground should be more like in space,when you cloak in space your shields drop,and it should on the ground as well.Knowing Cryptic, 'nerfing' stealth itself would probably lead to breaking cloak to the point of uselessness,it would be wiser to enhance stealth detection instead.Each career should have 1 captain skill and 1 kit skill that allows you to detect cloaked targets,and at least 1 consumable.

The (clear) advantages of cloak should be balanced with dangers of using cloak.
    The PWE/Cryptic sweatshop...not where the game is made,but where the game is played!

Take back your home,end the grind!

Volunteer moderators policing the forums is like a mall cop trying to solve a murder.