test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

LTS worth it?

general1devongeneral1devon Member Posts: 298 Arc User
Title says it all, is it worth buying or not? I'd prefer to hear from people who have a LTS

*Edit*
let me add to My OP, I have been playing this game almost non stop as long as I can since Launch
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by general1devon on

Comments

• pokinatchapunxpokinatchapunx Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    If you had gotten it when the game first launched it probably would have been. Not as it stands now though.

I have 2 friends with LTS and that's what they said to me when I asked.
  • chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Nope.
    Pwe doesn't believe in Lts and therefore cryptic, who added them to the game prior to the acquisition with good intention, doesn't believe in them.

Cryptic doesnt support the Lts anymore either.
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Depends on what you want out of it. Things like bank and item expansions you get just by subbing for a month. If you want all the vet rewards then it might be.

Personally I really enjoy my LTS and all the neat stuff it gives me.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • valkarie14valkarie14 Member Posts: 762 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    It depends if lts goes down in price and with all the dtuff you get then mayb, im considering it but i am surprised at the lack of LTS stuff like in some games if your a lifer you get access to certain areas exclusively or better mining areas etc im surprisedyoudont in sto
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I think of LTS as an overpriced vanity package. Unless you have money that you can literally flush down the toilet, it's honestly not worth it.
    edited April 2013
    I just wish they have more LTS attractions personally
  • johnstewardjohnsteward Member Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    i really like mine.. but thats just me.. i would do it even if there where no special perks and really they are nice but not overwhelming.
    i like the extra dil i can refine even if its only 1000/2 days, i like the chimera but i dont fly it right now and i really like not having to think about payments and stuff. And, if i play this game for more than 2 years it will even be cheaper in the end.
    edited April 2013
    Never buy a LTS or "Guardian" or Founders Pack any kind of thing like that from Cryptic. Ever.

It isn't that cryptic is evil. But again, they won't support it after you give them your money.
  • johnstewardjohnsteward Member Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    what kind of support other than giving u lifetime gold member do you expect?

i mean if you play this game for more than 2 years they will loose money on you so its more like a sale where you pay for about 2 years of sub in one package and they give you all the time you keep playing after those 2 years as a bonus. the other perks ingame are just that.. small bonuses.
  • jermbotjermbot Member Posts: 801 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I dunno. The Chimera Heavy Destroyer is nice. Not 300 dollars nice, but nice. Being able to refine slightly more dilithium could be nice, if I ever played long enough to hit my refinement cap, again, not 300 dollars worth of nice but there it is. The Android Bridge officer is nice. Having the option to make Liberated Borg is nice. And there's a lot of cash value in the rewards you get for subscribing and the extras you get as veteran rewards.

Does it all add up enough to be worth 300 dollars? Ehhh... maybe. If you played the game alot.
  • kyias1kyias1 Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    If you had gotten it when the game first launched it probably would have been. Not as it stands now though.

As a person who bought a LTS pre-launch, I would say this as a general rule.

There are exceptions but in general it does not make financial sense to buy a LTS. You can basically get all the same game unlocks via C-store for cheaper one time costs.

The Chimera is a good ship, getting the vet rewards is nice...but you have to ask yourself if it is WORTH almost $300 for a game you can play 100% free....or unlock inventory, bank and EC caps for a flat rate.

I got my value out of my LTS since it MORE than payed for all the time this game was subscription based....and now get CP stipends for no cost. For someone just now looking at it however I would be more skeptical.
  • deyvaddeyvad Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    totally worth it.
    the extra storage space, the increase ec cap, the free lvl 50 ship, the free respec tokens.
    Add to that that you get all the veteran rewards all at once being a LTS, even more worth it.

http://sto.perfectworld.com/about/freetoplay/features-matrix
    http://www.stowiki.org/Veteran_Rewards
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Title says it all, is it worth buying or not? I'd prefer to hear from people who have a LTS
    If you are wanting all the Vet Rewards and you think you're going to be playing the game for a couple more years then yes, it's totally worth it. If you don't think you're going to be playing more then another few months then no, it would be a waste of money.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • tancrediivtancrediiv Member Posts: 728 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Objectively, if you look at the amount you would spend per month for a sub and in zen purchases, LTS is not a bad deal.

I have an LTS on another Cryptic game. I have found this to be a mistake.

The problem with handing them $300 for a game is once they have your money you have no bargaining chip when Cryptic nerfs some part of the game you like and you want to walk away. In the recent tricobalt nerf some purchased items were affected. Many players got angry about it, canceled their subs, stopped spending, and in short order Cryptic post it was unintentional and fixes the problem. Cash flow has a bearing on customer service. That's one of the problems with a free to play model. There are few real economic paddles someone who pays nothing for access can use to turn things around, same as with the LTS where they already have your money and you don't want to quit.

Player and forumite formerly known as FEELTHETHUNDER

Expatriot Might Characters in EXILE
  • voxinvictusvoxinvictus Member Posts: 261
    edited April 2013

\

Pretty much this.

Considering the game is F2P, what you get for LTS at this point in time isn't worth the price for most people. For those who had it from the start, or who had it pretty early on at the discounted price, it was worth it.

If they offered it for 100 dollars, it might be worth it now, but I'm not sure Cryptic or PWE actually want people to buy it.
  • general1devongeneral1devon Member Posts: 298 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    kyias1 wrote: »
    As a person who bought a LTS pre-launch, I would say this as a general rule.

There are exceptions but in general it does not make financial sense to buy a LTS. You can basically get all the same game unlocks via C-store for cheaper one time costs.

The Chimera is a good ship, getting the vet rewards is nice...but you have to ask yourself if it is WORTH almost $300 for a game you can play 100% free....or unlock inventory, bank and EC caps for a flat rate.

I got my value out of my LTS since it MORE than payed for all the time this game was subscription based....and now get CP stipends for no cost. For someone just now looking at it however I would be more skeptical.

let me add to My OP, I have been playing this game almost non stop as long as I can since Launch and have wanted an LTS for that long, just havent had the $
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    If you are wanting all the Vet Rewards and you think you're going to be playing the game for a couple more years then yes, it's totally worth it. If you don't think you're going to be playing more then another few months then no, it would be a waste of money.
    well i dont plan on quitting till I or the game dies, love ur sig btw xD
    tancrediiv wrote: »
    Objectively, if you look at the amount you would spend per month for a sub and in zen purchases, LTS is not a bad deal.

I have an LTS on another Cryptic game. I have found this to be a mistake.

The problem with handing them $300 for a game is once they have your money you have no bargaining chip when Cryptic nerfs some part of the game you like and you want to walk away. In the recent tricobalt nerf some purchased items were affected. Many players got angry about it, canceled their subs, stopped spending, and in short order Cryptic post it was unintentional and fixes the problem. Cash flow has a bearing on customer service. That's one of the problems with a free to play model. There are few real economic paddles someone who pays nothing for access can use to turn things around, same as with the LTS where they already have your money and you don't want to quit.
    I could never ever quit, I take breaks ocasionally, but never walk away
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tangolighttangolight Member Posts: 777 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    let me add to My OP, I have been playing this game almost non stop as long as I can since Launch and have wanted an LTS for that long, just havent had the $

well i dont plan on quitting till I or the game dies, love ur sig btw xD

I could never ever quit, I take breaks ocasionally, but never walk away

Then I'd say probably yes. More so if you find things you like to get from the C-Store once in a while, and like playing multiple characters, and/or making new ones.

Mostly, you just need to try and figure out if you'd end up spending more in the long run or not, and if the extra benefits are nice. Personally, I think it's a nice feeling to know that any new character you make will always get respec tokens, a VA token, more BO slots, and so on.
    edited April 2013
    If your going to get a LTS i would wait until romulan campaign is out they may do an offer thats what im waiting for
  • krovankrovan Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I bought my lifetime about 3 month after the game launched, I bought into a lot of hype about my faction the Klingons getting everything pve wise in a big patch that never arrived. 3 years later and the prospect of a fully fleshed out faction is nice, but not very relevant to my max level character.

The breaks I've taken form the game have piled up cstore points, but not really ever enough for me to buy a bunch of ships and the like, the stipend in my opinion is too low.

The veteran rewards are alright, but nothing special. I don't play enough for the dilithuim harvesting to be much of an issue although I and others lobbied heavily on the forums for auto refinement back before free to play.

despite all that I'm still happy I bought it, it's been so long that I forgot about the money I've spent and now I have some small benefits if I take a break for a while.

If you plan on playing for more than 2 years I'd say go for it, 2 years form now..the money you spent won't be something you lose sleep over.
    http://soundcloud.com/krovan-1
  • purplegamerpurplegamer Member Posts: 1,015 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I have a vague sense that we're entering a sort of golden age for STO. With the new update/expansion coming next month and a palatable change in mood among the team (they seem more enthused and upbeat these days), I have nothing but good feelings about the game. I've been a bit of a long-time critic of the game, so for me to feel so positive about things must be a reflection of some tangible change in the wind.

If I had the money, I'd pick up a LTS.
  • atticusmasatticusmas Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    valkarie14 wrote: »
    It depends if lts goes down in price and with all the dtuff you get then mayb, im considering it but i am surprised at the lack of LTS stuff like in some games if your a lifer you get access to certain areas exclusively or better mining areas etc im surprisedyoudont in sto
    What do you get by subbing for just a month?
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    atticusmas wrote: »
    What do you get by subbing for just a month?
    You temporarily get the number of char slots that a Gold player has and permanent access to account bank.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited April 2013
    I have a vague sense that we're entering a sort of golden age for STO. With the new update/expansion coming next month and a palatable change in mood among the team (they seem more enthused and upbeat these days), I have nothing but good feelings about the game. I've been a bit of a long-time critic of the game, so for me to feel so positive about things must be a reflection of some tangible change in the wind.

If I had the money, I'd pick up a LTS.
    I am not trying to be negative but the truth is, Golden ages end.
    Cryptic has a habit of not properly supporting already done stuff.

I no longer play champions but supposedly they don't update that game much. Look at the foundry? One guy supports it in sto compared to the team that supports it in nw.
    Kdf lol?
    Pvp?

Now I have been playing sto since beta so a Lts is worth it. i agree with you though Right now is the golden age of sto.
  • a3001a3001 Member Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'd wait for another sale. The time I bought my LTS, a week later they had a sale. Worst....timing...EVER!!!!!!!
    Rejoice JJ Trek people....

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10052253

Why are you not rejoicing?
  • tsurutafan01tsurutafan01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    If this game had an offline mode, I might be able to cook up a justification for the cost.

But I've played online games that have no offline mode which require large infusions of capital before. And, eventually, someday years from now (as this is a very healthy game at the moment), this game will be shut down. You will be left with absolutely nothing. That's not in any way a knock on Cryptic or PWE, it has nothing to do with them at all. It's a reality of the game's format. Getting burned by that once was enough for me. All form of online games that require a monthly sub, or a cost to get online collectables, end that way, sooner or later.

If you find a digital download which you have no rights to and which you won't have anything to show for it someday worth it, that's your choice. But it won't ever be mine, personally. Call me old fashioned, but if I don't have something that's actually mine at the end of the day I won't put that kind of money out there again.

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The LTS was worth it at the beginning. Now it is if you want it, then wait for a sale, but seriously consider getting it because the LTS when I bought it during beta I didn't even have to think about it and now I would put in serious thought about getting it. LoR might come out with some perk that gives a very good incentive, but unless you want the vet rewards and liberated borg captain, then don't buy it IMO. Its much cheaper to buy a 1 month subscription, get your characters up to level 50 and buy the account bank slots, EC cap increase, and other necessities.
  • atatassaultatatassault Member Posts: 1,008 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    chalpen wrote: »
    Never buy a LTS or "Guardian" or Founders Pack any kind of thing like that from Cryptic. Ever.

It isn't that cryptic is evil. But again, they won't support it after you give them your money.
    The LTS was well worth it at the launch of CO and STO. Now that they are F2P models, LTS is a weak buy at this point. Unless you really want the Vet Rewards in either game (and the 1000 days in each are pretty nice), then you are correct, it is not worth it at this point.
  • apulseapulse Member Posts: 456 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I bought LTS two weeks ago. There is not a large impact, but more small things, bag space, you get 500 free zen points every months, all vet rewards and so forth.

Why did I buy LTS? Because I am a Star Trek fan and I have always returned to this game on and off since it launched. I came to the decision that I will continue to support this game in the future. So I thought it could be fun to have all small fun stuff and if I take a four month break or what now, then I will have 2000 zen just waiting for me.

Another reason that is probably the strongest is that I don't believe in the F2P format as a player. Meaning that I am a Subscription guy that always want to get those extra stuff and are willing to pay real money for it.

Conclusion: Buying LTS was a decision made with the future in mind.
    P.S I got the cash to flush in the toilet ds.
    21ajpqt.png
  • atatassaultatatassault Member Posts: 1,008 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I can't be bothered to do the math again, but a while back I figured that if you have like 4 characters, all the C-Store Freebies you get from vet rewards (Respecs, Ship slots, etc), the effective price of the LTS become something like $80.
  • a3001a3001 Member Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Well, I might as well justify my cost. $300 up front fee. Each month will grant you a tiny stipend of 500 Zen (about $5). So, as you'll get $5 every month, and 12 months in a year, you'll have raked in $60 in 12 months. Divide $300 into $60, and you can expect break even in around 5 years; considering that the game ever lasts that long.
    Rejoice JJ Trek people....

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10052253

Why are you not rejoicing?