test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Shouldn't The new Update Be on Tribble By Now?

sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
I do not mean to be offending, but the last season (like all the seasons before it) have always gone live with bugs that were never addressed by the devs because they never gave them themselves a proper chance to be tested and found in a live environment.
Not only that, they were released so close to the live date, that even if bugs were found, there was never enough time for them to be fixed.

Put this down to poor QA or just that they like to rush stuff, it has never been seen as professional when previous seasons have gone live in the state that they have done.

So, I am asking from previous season releases, should this latest update be on tribble by now?
We have less than 2 months until all these new systems are meant to go live. Surely it would make sense to start rolling them out on tribble asap, so the bugs that have gone live in previous testing, can be fixed in plenty of time.....
Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

Post edited by sunfrancks on

Comments

• Options
    hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The issue of bugs staying through the tribble cycle is not one of the time needed to find them - that was generally a day or two in most cases. Season 5 had the longest tribble cycle of any update to date, and for it to be on track with May we'd see the first parts hit tribble this week, with a couple information light dev blogs this week and some real information next week. And that version of season 5 that was on tribble was effectively unplayable for the first two weeks.
  • Options
    chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    It isn't coming out for more than 50 days.
    I don't understand everyone's stress to test the new expansion.

Hardly anyone has tested the crystalline entity or anything else that shows up on tribble (as I understand it).
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Cryptic ususally starts testing 2-3 weeks ahead of a season's release. They only did longer with F2P since it was a major transition.
  • Options
    tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Cryptic ususally starts testing 2-3 weeks ahead of a season's release. They only did longer with F2P since it was a major transition.

and Legacy of Romulus will be bigger than a normal season, so i believe it should get longer on the test server.
  • Options
    lizweilizwei Member Posts: 936 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    chalpen wrote: »
    It isn't coming out for more than 50 days.
    I don't understand everyone's stress to test the new expansion.

Hardly anyone has tested the crystalline entity or anything else that shows up on tribble (as I understand it).

Nobody cares about the Crystalline Entity.
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    tenkari wrote: »
    and Legacy of Romulus will be bigger than a normal season, so i believe it should get longer on the test server.

Agreed
    They are totally replacing how characters are made, including the way traits etc are used, as well as a host of other stuff not even mentioning the new faction.

I would err on side of caution.....
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I would also like to point out that cryptic hasn't really told us anything about the expansion.
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • Options
    atatassaultatatassault Member Posts: 1,008 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    lizwei wrote: »
    False. I care, and seemingly the 40 other people that showed up to the "Test with the Devs" last Friday do as well.
  • Options
    edited March 2013

Maybe larger than a standard season, but aside from the new UI changes, there really is hardly any new tech they are implementing that would require a longer test period. It's just mostly a bug hunt, which QA supposed to take care of the majority of that (so they say :P).

This is compared to the month+ long testing of F2P / Season 5 that mandated the testing of the new game economy (EC and Dilithium), the Event system, the massive changes in the STFs, the new STF gear, the DOFF system, events transitioning to the Queue system, and more.
  • Options
    thenumber55thenumber55 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    big difference between and few hundred people playing on tribble and 1000's of active players on the main server playing when it comes to finding bugs
  • Options
    vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Well, when you say "bug's that were never fixed", it's to this day.
    A QA can't do much if a developer isn't working on it, can't fix it or is being told to work on something else.

But anyway, it's mainly because of exclusives. Probably negotiating and fishing for those as we speak.

They'd give all the info out for free if they put it on tribble.

That aside I agree season 7 wasn't worth anything, in fact I am still waiting on getting my ground sets back myself however there is no telling if catching the bug(s) earlier would have made any difference.

As I said they are bugged to this day.
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I thought Legacy of Romulus would appear on Redshirt. And then Redshirt would be opened up for select testers? That's how that is supposed to go right?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    They said it will be in May for the release of the expansion so they could put it on tribble May 3 and they would still have 4 weeks for a release date of May 31 which is still technically in May.
  • Options
    daroskadaroska Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013

But the Crystalline Entity is my best friend!

http://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/write.ign.com/5126/2012/07/trek_crystalline_entity_josh_m.jpg

When he isn't trying to kill my other friends.. :rolleyes:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    starkaos wrote: »
    They said it will be in May for the release of the expansion so they could put it on tribble May 3 and they would still have 4 weeks for a release date of May 31 which is still technically in May.

to be more precise. they gave the exact date: May 21st. if they put it on the 3rd, that would give 18 days. less than 3 weeks.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Maybe larger than a standard season, but aside from the new UI changes, there really is hardly any new tech they are implementing that would require a longer test period. It's just mostly a bug hunt, which QA supposed to take care of the majority of that (so they say :P).

This is compared to the month+ long testing of F2P / Season 5 that mandated the testing of the new game economy (EC and Dilithium), the Event system, the massive changes in the STFs, the new STF gear, the DOFF system, events transitioning to the Queue system, and more.

new character generation proccess. the new way they are doing traits. not to mention a ton of new content.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    to be more precise. they gave the exact date: May 21st. if they put it on the 3rd, that would give 18 days. less than 3 weeks.
    That's more than enough time to shove it right along to Holodeck.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited March 2013

Then 4 weeks would be April 23. We don't know how long it will be on tribble or red shirt so we can test it around the end of April or beginning of May depending on how much testing they want done. Still means that we have a couple of weeks before testing unless Cryptic wants to give us a long time to test it. So the earliest I could see it happening is April 4 since next week will be the initial dev blogs and they don't start testing until after some blogs have been done already.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    new character generation proccess. the new way they are doing traits. not to mention a ton of new content.

New character generation is just a reskinning of the UI, not a new system. Besides, and most of that is done by QA.

New Traits only take a few hours to check to see they are working since they are just a basic skill boost.

New content, they aren't going to relase all at once, else people might burn out before it officially goes live. Most of that will be interior tested by QA, like they always done.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    New Traits only take a few hours to check to see they are working since they are just a basic skill boost.

thats just assumption. some traits are active skills. and we have no idea what the new trait system really comes down to. as the teaser site specifically says "Customize and rearrange your existing traits. Unlock new advanced traits and abilities, further specializing your captain and crew."
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    thats just assumption. some traits are active skills. and we have no idea what the new trait system really comes down to. as the teaser site specifically says "Customize and rearrange your existing traits. Unlock new advanced traits and abilities, further specializing your captain and crew."

That's a few hour's worth of testing. :rolleyes:

Look man, if you want to believe they will test a month ahead, feel free. But trust me they will have testing two weeks before release, with a Tribble Weekend for a Tribble Reward, which people will complain for a month after LoR is released, which likely be character only. :P
  • Options
    doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I don't see why people would complain about the reward, really. We all predicted it would be a Romulan-Mark-****ting-Tribble, and we got it.

This next one sounds like a Tholian version of teh same.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sparhawksparhawk Member Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    I do not mean to be offending, but the last season (like all the seasons before it) have always gone live with bugs that were never addressed by the devs because they never gave them themselves a proper chance to be tested and found in a live environment.
    Not only that, they were released so close to the live date, that even if bugs were found, there was never enough time for them to be fixed.

Put this down to poor QA or just that they like to rush stuff, it has never been seen as professional when previous seasons have gone live in the state that they have done.

So, I am asking from previous season releases, should this latest update be on tribble by now?
    We have less than 2 months until all these new systems are meant to go live. Surely it would make sense to start rolling them out on tribble asap, so the bugs that have gone live in previous testing, can be fixed in plenty of time.....

Yes, it should be considering they are adding an entirely new faction to the game. Based on Cryptic's past track record with this though, I'm not surprised despite Mr. Stahl's claim months ago that he would improve the QA testing process. The longer the wait, the buggier/untested the live release will be.
  • Options
    sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2013

Im sure its mother Mrs Crystaline entity cares
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    amayakitsuneamayakitsune Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    That's a few hour's worth of testing. :rolleyes:

Look man, if you want to believe they will test a month ahead, feel free. But trust me they will have testing two weeks before release, with a Tribble Weekend for a Tribble Reward, which people will complain for a month after LoR is released, which likely be character only. :P

Nothing about this expansion is "a few hours of testing". Cryptic can't test for every problem in a few hours. Nor can they test on a wide variety of computers.

They are implementing an entirely new faction with (hopefully) enough content to take them from level 1 to level 50. This includes new ships, weapons and bridge officers along with a new tutorial and a new social zone (the Romulan starbase area, and maybe a romulan academy).

They are implementing KDF content to take them from level 1 to level 50. Including a new tutorial.

They are implementing an entirely new reputation path, presumably with several different passive abilities and an active ability. Not to mention whatever items can be unlocked in the course of the system.

They are completely redoing their character creator and the trait system.

They are revamping the UI of the game.

With something of this scope the more user testing they can get... the better they will be when they launch.
    7NGGeUP.png

• Options
    edited March 2013
    Nothing about this expansion is "a few hours of testing". Cryptic can't test for every problem in a few hours. Nor can they test on a wide variety of computers.

They are implementing an entirely new faction with (hopefully) enough content to take them from level 1 to level 50. This includes new ships, weapons and bridge officers along with a new tutorial and a new social zone (the Romulan starbase area, and maybe a romulan academy).

They are implementing KDF content to take them from level 1 to level 50. Including a new tutorial.

They are implementing an entirely new reputation path, presumably with several different passive abilities and an active ability. Not to mention whatever items can be unlocked in the course of the system.

They are completely redoing their character creator and the trait system.

They are revamping the UI of the game.

With something of this scope the more user testing they can get... the better they will be when they launch.
    Where have you been the last three years? That's not how Cryptic tests its patches. They get all that testing done on the live server. It finds the bugs quicker, and since it's already live, they can take their time fixing em.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    It's a very simple and straightforward "test" process. First, throw it on Tribble a few hours or so before they plan to take it live. Then, if Tribble is still standing and hasn't crashed by then, it's considered to be successfully tested and working as intended.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    captainleavittcaptainleavitt Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    It's a very simple and straightforward "test" process. First, throw it on Tribble a few hours or so before they plan to take it live. Then, if Tribble is still standing and hasn't crashed by then, it's considered to be successfully tested and working as intended.

this. oh how accurate this is. it's pretty sad but true. :(
  • Options
    amayakitsuneamayakitsune Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Where have you been the last three years? That's not how Cryptic tests its patches. They get all that testing done on the live server. It finds the bugs quicker, and since it's already live, they can take their time fixing em.

Season tests have been up for much longer int he test server than weekly patches... and recently even weekly patches have been on tribble for e a week or so.
    7NGGeUP.png

• Options
    edited March 2013
    Season tests have been up for much longer int he test server than weekly patches... and recently even weekly patches have been on tribble for e a week or so.
    Legacy of Romulus will probably go on Tribble the weekend before the 21st. To STRESS test it over the weekend. It's being tested hard right now. Internally. That's how this works. Seriously. Where have you been all these years?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]