test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

"Doffing B'Tran"

stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
edited August 2013 in Duty Officer System and R&D
Just wondering about this, since I hear so much about it, yet I have never, in the year I have been playing, never ever picked up a purple DOFF of any type in B'Tran.

So what's doffing in B'Tran, and how does it work?

(P.S. Please explain every step in detail. I am not good at interpretive language.)
stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
Post edited by stardestroyer001 on

Comments

• mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Ok, in B'tran (and by extension every other star cluster), has a chain of DOFF missions that allow you to build up a colony in that cluster (7 missions). It does require a fairly good amount of colonists to do, so keep that in mind.

On the last mission, called the 'Renown' mission, you will get a guaranteed blue DOFF. And randomly at times after that, you can get a mission called something like "Support Efforts in the _____ Cluster" or whatever it's called. If you critical success that mission, you will get a purple DOFF.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    mimey2 wrote: »
    Ok, in B'tran (and by extension every other star cluster), has a chain of DOFF missions that allow you to build up a colony in that cluster (7 missions). It does require a fairly good amount of colonists to do, so keep that in mind.

On the last mission, called the 'Renown' mission, you will get a guaranteed blue DOFF. And randomly at times after that, you can get a mission called something like "Support Efforts in the _____ Cluster" or whatever it's called. If you critical success that mission, you will get a purple DOFF.

I see, no wonder. I haven't completed the chain yet.

Now are there specific types of purple DOFFs from a critted "Support Efforts in the B'Tran Cluster", or are they randomly picked up? By this I mean can I go to Delta Volanis and get a different type of Purple DOFF compared to B'Tran, or are they all the same?

Finally, does DOFFJOBS calculate that in its spreadsheet?
  • doctormerkindoctormerkin Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    got purple assimilated gorn engie doff in b'tran/crit..
  • overlapooverlapo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    STO wiki has a list of the reward for a crit on one of the repeatables doff missions.

http://www.stowiki.org/Assignment:_Support_Colonization_Efforts

These purples are not unique so you can collect as many as you like of any type.
  • mandoknight89mandoknight89 Member Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Notably, the B'Tran doff is a liberated Borg Technician with Efficient and Resilient. The Fed one (Ten of Ten, a Caitian) has Logical and Eidetic Memory, while the KDF one (Two of Twelve, a Gorn) has Aggressive and Cold Blooded. Being Very Rare Technicians, they're relatively easy-to-get doffs that form the crux of an Aux 2 Batt build.
  • stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    overlapo wrote: »
    STO wiki has a list of the reward for a crit on one of the repeatables doff missions.

http://www.stowiki.org/Assignment:_Support_Colonization_Efforts

These purples are not unique so you can collect as many as you like of any type.

Thank you! This is awesome, I will definitely be using this.
  • rck01rck01 Member Posts: 808 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Trying to complete the renown mission but it keeps saying I don't have any Doffs that meet the requirements. Also, the requirements keep changing: First Diplomat/Advisor/Counselor, then Science, then Tactical/Security. Also, do they need to be of a certain quality level? E.g Green or better?

Help! I've spent a week on this! I wan't my friggin' Blue or Purple Doff! :)

UPDATE: Never Mind! I just realized you don't need to assign anyone...just click Start Assignment. Duh! :)

RCK
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    rck01 wrote: »
    Trying to complete the renown mission but it keeps saying I don't have any Doffs that meet the requirements. Also, the requirements keep changing: First Diplomat/Advisor/Counselor, then Science, then Tactical/Security. Also, do they need to be of a certain quality level? E.g Green or better?

Help! I've spent a week on this! I wan't my friggin' Blue or Purple Doff! :)

RCK

The 7th mission in the chain shouldn't require any doff. Just click the mission and 15 minutes later you get the blue doff. If you want the purple you have to check around for the proper Support mission to show up (its not always there) and then crit on it using any doff you want.
    edited July 2013
    The 7th mission in the chain shouldn't require any doff. Just click the mission and 15 minutes later you get the blue doff. If you want the purple you have to check around for the proper Support mission to show up (its not always there) and then crit on it using any doff you want.

Figured this out in Zone chat. Boy do I feel stupid... :)

BTW, do you know which support mission(s) I should be looking for from here forward? Will I know them when I see them (i.e. somehow showing a link to the chain)?

UPDATE: Again, never mind. Found it almost immediately. Thanks again for the tips! :)

Thanks!
    RCK
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Figured this out in Zone chat. Boy do I feel stupid... :)

BTW, do you know which support mission(s) I should be looking for from here forward? Will I know them when I see them (i.e. somehow showing a link to the chain)?

Thanks!
    RCK

Fed Side: http://sto.gamepedia.com/Assignment:_Support_Colonization_Efforts

KDF Side: http://sto.gamepedia.com/Assignment:_Support_Expansion_Efforts

Its one of those missions where you can get too good with your Success chance and reduce your Crit Success chances in the process. My own 'perfect' team Fed-side only has 1 diplomat (purple with 2 crit traits), then 4 other purples with 2 crit traits each all from other departments. That combo together gives me a 33% crit chance, whereas if I used more diplomats it would drop into the high 20s.
  • kurgis1kurgis1 Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Totally depends on which side you are (Fed/Klingy) and there are a lot that can help - the purp doff from "Support" in DV is good for both Fed and kling and from the store on the academy the Fed Fab Eng from the Eng section (purp), Zochaev, has 3 crit traits - one of very few that do.

The main thing to remember is you want to crit, so only select one diplo for the feds, one tac/sec for klingy's then build the rest of the mission (4 more doffs) around crit traits - remember if you max out success chance it overwrites your crit chance to a lesser degree - so lowering your chance to crit, which you dont want. The max crit chance you can get iirc is 33%.
  • tonyalmeida2tonyalmeida2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    kurgis1 wrote: »
    Totally depends on which side you are (Fed/Klingy) and there are a lot that can help - the purp doff from "Support" in DV is good for both Fed and kling and from the store on the academy the Fed Fab Eng from the Eng section (purp), Zochaev, has 3 crit traits - one of very few that do.

The main thing to remember is you want to crit, so only select one diplo for the feds, one tac/sec for klingy's then build the rest of the mission (4 more doffs) around crit traits - remember if you max out success chance it overwrites your crit chance to a lesser degree - so lowering your chance to crit, which you dont want. The max crit chance you can get iirc is 33%.

33% isn't the highest. I've gotten 34% only using 1 doff with 3 traits, more exists but they are expensive on the exchange. Part of that getting 34% is still leaving percentage points left in failure and disaster. Run Zochaev + 4 more doffs with 2 traits (not diplomats or advisors) and you'll get the 34%.
    pvp = small package
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I actually avoid success entirely. It doesn't get me what I want, and the consequences for failure are slim.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • crusty8maccrusty8mac Member Posts: 1,381 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I actually avoid success entirely. It doesn't get me what I want, and the consequences for failure are slim.

Thanks for the new line in my signature. :P
    edited July 2013
    Well, I got "10 of 10," the Purple Cat dude, on my first try (Crit Success), so... :)

I've now got a Blue and a Purple technician which is really helping my aux2bat build fly. However, I'm wondering how long it will be before I see another "support" mission pop up. It's a bit of a PITA getting down to B'Tran all the time to check for mission availability - the lack of a direct transwarp target for my Fleet AHCR to jump to means lots of time transiting through sector space (at least on the way to B'Tran).

Question: How often do those "support" missions pop up?

RCK
    edited July 2013
    Well, I got "10 of 10," the Purple Cat dude, on my first try (Crit Success), so... :)

I've now got a Blue and a Purple technician which is really helping my aux2bat build fly. However, I'm wondering how long it will be before I see another "support" mission pop up. It's a bit of a PITA getting down to B'Tran all the time to check for mission availability - the lack of a direct transwarp target for my Fleet AHCR to jump to means lots of time transiting through sector space (at least on the way to B'Tran).

Question: How often do those "support" missions pop up?

RCK

Support missions in general pop up quite frequently. bit.ly/DOFFs

That link will help you find it.

Accept the doomsday device mission if you are a federation character, it gives you a mission transwarp 3 lightyears out from the transwarp to borg space then just slipstream down to btran.
    pvp = small package
  • adeonhawkwoodadeonhawkwood Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    skollulfr wrote: »
    anyone know if there is a 'best doff for the job' to maximise the crit success?
    My experience is that to max out crit rate you want 5 purple quality DOffs who have a total of 10 critical traits between them and that no more than one of them is an Advisor or Diplomat, this will give a crit rate of 33% (more than one Advisor/Diplomat results in a higher success rate at the cost of crit). You can theoretically get the crit rate up a bit higher but doing so requires DOffs with three relevant crit rate and those are pretty rare.

In regards to specific DOFFs the ones that I mostly use are actually gotten from Support missions themselves. Delta Volanis, Eridan Belt and Zenas Expanse all award DOffs that have two critical traits for support.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    crusty8mac wrote: »
    Thanks for the new line in my signature. :P
    Hehe, yeah that is amusing when taken out of context. :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • nicha0nicha0 Member Posts: 1,456 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Finding the mission is around 30% success rate, luckily on B'Tran and the KDF equivalent there is a normal and level 50 version so you get twice that.

The KDF have better Doffs that are easy to get with 3 crit traits giving you more than 33%.
    The Fed standard is 33%, but of course if you are lucky or have ec to blow you can pick up better Doffs.
    Delirium Tremens
    Completed Starbase, Embassy, Mine, Spire and No Win Scenario
    Nothing to do anymore.
    http://dtfleet.com/
    Visit our Youtube channel
    edited July 2013
    nicha0 wrote: »
    Finding the mission is around 30% success rate, luckily on B'Tran and the KDF equivalent there is a normal and level 50 version so you get twice that.

The KDF have better Doffs that are easy to get with 3 crit traits giving you more than 33%.
    The Fed standard is 33%, but of course if you are lucky or have ec to blow you can pick up better Doffs.

So if I enter B'Tran normally and don't find it I should go back out and re-enter the "Vice Admiral" version for a second shot at finding the mission? Cool! :)

RCK
  • adeonhawkwoodadeonhawkwood Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Yep. Also don't forget to check with your operations officer, he will sometimes have it even if it isn't in the zone.
    edited July 2013

Not sure where the finding the mission has a 30% success rate is coming from. B'tran is the KDF equivalent. Twice the chance at it appearing =/= doubling the odds. Same with lockboxes.
    pvp = small package
    edited July 2013
    Wow! So I finally found the next support mission and ran it. The chart said I had a 70% chance of success with a 23% chance of a Crit. And yet the result was...Disaster! I now have 3 officers in "Sickbay" for the next 20 hours! :(

I committed two purples and a blue to this mission. The failure % was so low it was almost a rounding error. Yet I get "Disaster?"

Must be a Karma thing since my first run through gave me a Purple right off the bat... :)

RCK
  • marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    my 5 Egul'clan purple diagnostic engineer doffs I use for console crafting always give me crits on B'tran, like 33% chance I think. B'tran is great because it gives Technician doffs and it has normal and elite maps, you can check both, if the support mission isn't up in 1, it may be up in the other. Do this, don't buy outrageous priced purple tech doffs from the exchange, especially if you are KDF.
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
  • nicha0nicha0 Member Posts: 1,456 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Not sure where the finding the mission has a 30% success rate is coming from. B'tran is the KDF equivalent. Twice the chance at it appearing =/= doubling the odds. Same with lockboxes.

It is called experience
    Delirium Tremens
    Completed Starbase, Embassy, Mine, Spire and No Win Scenario
    Nothing to do anymore.
    http://dtfleet.com/
    Visit our Youtube channel
    edited July 2013
    It is called experience

Your experience =/= accurate way to deduce odds to an exact percentage, and then attempt to pass it off as fact.

Not to mention the fact that even if you had recorded every single time that you went there and looked for the mission, your "experience" alone would be far too small of a sample size to generate a likely probability.
    marc8219 wrote: »
    my 5 Egul'clan purple diagnostic engineer doffs I use for console crafting always give me crits on B'tran, like 33% chance I think. B'tran is great because it gives Technician doffs and it has normal and elite maps, you can check both, if the support mission isn't up in 1, it may be up in the other. Do this, don't buy outrageous priced purple tech doffs from the exchange, especially if you are KDF.

"Always gives me crits on B'tran". Using 5x Egul'Clan on a support mission like you said will only give you 33% chance crit with some chance still left in failure and disaster. Even saying most of the time for a crit would be a huge exaggeration. Having only 33% crit is a less than probable outcome, especially over a large test sample.
    pvp = small package
  • cletusdeadmancletusdeadman Member Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    How often does the repeatable mission actually come up?
    I have checking both B'Trans for a couple of days and it still hasn't appeared.
    I have checked current map as well Operations Officer in both sectors every four hours.

Thanks...
  • pherraspherras Member Posts: 81 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Speaking of Btran could someone tell me if this was normal . I completed btran doff chain for the first time and got the blue tech doff. A few hours later I go back to see if I could start it again and there was a support colony doff assignment and got the purple tech from it. Needless to say i was pleased I was done got a purp tech and one blue tech with minimal effort
    edited August 2013
    pherras wrote: »
    Speaking of Btran could someone tell me if this was normal . I completed btran doff chain for the first time and got the blue tech doff. A few hours later I go back to see if I could start it again and there was a support colony doff assignment and got the purple tech from it. Needless to say i was pleased I was done got a purp tech and one blue tech with minimal effort

This was my experience as well: Got the Blue doff and then right away the Purple "10 of 10" on my first attempt at the "Support" mission.

And then...the wheels fell off! Over my next several attempts I got:

1. "Disaster" (3 of my Doffs in "Sick Bay" for 19 hours)

2. "Success" but non-critical so no new Doffs (just a "Refugee" for use in Asylum missions)

3. Another fail, but no loss of Doff use

4. Finally, a Critical success and my 2nd Purple Doff (another "10 of 10")

So, don't expect your luck to hold up...it takes persistence! :)

Now I'm looking for other chains to run to see what else I can get to beef-up my Doff ranks. Suggestions appreciated.

RCK
  • royalsovereignroyalsovereign Member Posts: 1,344 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    4. Finally, a Critical success and my 2nd Purple Doff (another "10 of 10")
    Yes, the purple doff awarded from teh colonization chains is specific to that location. If you crit the "Support..." mission 10 times, you will have 10 copies of "10 of 10" in your DOff roster.

I have three copies of the Jem'Hadar Assault Squad officer from, er, whichever cluster that is. Betreka? Rolor? Anyway, I use them for the "Strike Against Fugitive Support Network" mission, and I justify it by saying that he's so good, he's doing the job of three officers. I guess when one or two of them are in Sickbay he's just taking it a bit easy. ;)
    "You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
    --Red Annorax