Options

Master keys should bind to charecter!

2»

Comments

• Options
    mikenight00mikenight00 Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    akurie666 wrote: »

I sat through that entire video. Amazing how overused that word is in the entertainment media.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Never Forget 5/21
  • Options
    skyranger1414skyranger1414 Member Posts: 1,785 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    But, that is lame. On wow I was a very sucessfull blacksmith. I like to craft and sell items but I can not do it if the return is not greater than the investment.

How? Craftble gear is a joke and the only thing worth selling are belt buckles? Unless you were playing the AH more than the game then the mats for said belt buckles are so expensive you only make a slight profit.
  • Options
    tau41tau41 Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I'd just like to point out that Star Trek, as a thing, has never existed as a universe that has super special, super high end items crafted by renowned craftsman EXCEPT for a couple bat'leths and the occasional super weapon. It's not a surprise that crafting would fall flat in a Star Trek setting, and furthermore, we have the Cryptic crafting thing in force here. It's terrible. In fact, it's pretty much exactly like crafting back in Champion's Online before they overhauled it.

So, that begs the question-has STO received a similar crafting system bottom to top overhaul?
  • Options
    vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,520 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Selling master keys is more simple and more profitable than crafting. Stop the master key crutch and bring us a reason to craft again!

Okay, so we make the keys bound, (very bad idea BTW) and how does that bring us a reason to craft ?

You don't explain.

Unfortunately, crafting ship weapons, competes with the dilithium and fleet stores. These being attached to dilithium, which is a time based currency, one can trade for zen, which is purchased for real money. And that's the economy of the game.
    This won't change.

You can always become a dilithium miner.

I've though about the crafting issue myself, as I used to craft for my fleet.
    If I were to offer my suggestion, I'd say pull all the consumables from NPC stores, like ship batteries, hypos and such, and make these available through crafting only.
    OR
    Make SUPERIOR consumables, that can only be made from crafting, (perhaps like the fractal re modulator). Maybe batteries with a "limited recharge" function ect.

Perhaps even, make purple quality consoles craft-able.

But I personally think crafting consumables would be the way to go. This will keep the demand constant, ergo, keep crafting viable.

But TBH, I seriously doubt any of this will happen until Cryptic stops offering consumables, in lock boxes, starbases and embassies, which I simply don't see happening anytime soon.
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• Options
    mikeflmikefl Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I think you missed entirely the point of being able to sell specific items on the exchange, particularly the consumables like DOFF packs, Keys and Fleet Ship Modules.

This is, very clearly, a method that an MMO company can use to allow for RMTrading without actively engaging in RMTrading yet simultaneously cutting out 3rd party RMTs.

It's a complete win-win for them.

I disagree with the OP... but something this game could really use is some crafting of high end very rare mk xii consoles... They are few and far between as rewards from the doffs and you can't buy them from fleet stores either except for a few specialty science ones at this point. Some of these run into the 10's of millions on the exchange and I wont pay that but would craft it if I could because they are so expensive.

To make EC I buy lock box keys and open boxes until I get a ship and then I sell it on the exchange and use the EC for my other activities until the next lock box and then I repeat the process. I don't grind or craft for anything EC or zen related. I get a zen stipend and I use my dilithium for fleet projects and gear.
    Gold Sub since March 2010
    Lifetime Sub since June 2010
  • Options
    baclimonbaclimon Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I think its a good idea...why do you guys hate so much...

Let the guy voice his opinion on how to make the game better...
  • Options
    kimmymkimmym Member Posts: 1,317 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Nobody who is thinking would waste time crafting past the horta pet, and possibly the Aegis set. Keys have nothing to do with it.

Why would I craft mk xi when I can get mk xii at the same level? Or farm Fleet Actions for mk xi?

Make some crafted gear worth actually buying... That is the only solution.

Keys... They have nothing to do with crafting.
    I once again match my character. Behold the power of PINK!
    kimmym_5664.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Space Orphidian Possiblities Wizard
  • Options
    franc275franc275 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    mikefl wrote: »
    I disagree with the OP... but something this game could really use is some crafting of high end very rare mk xii consoles... They are few and far between as rewards from the doffs and you can't buy them from fleet stores either except for a few specialty science ones at this point. Some of these run into the 10's of millions on the exchange and I wont pay that but would craft it if I could because they are so expensive.

To make EC I buy lock box keys and open boxes until I get a ship and then I sell it on the exchange and use the EC for my other activities until the next lock box and then I repeat the process. I don't grind or craft for anything EC or zen related. I get a zen stipend and I use my dilithium for fleet projects and gear.

First - I disagree with the OP.
    Second - you can "craft" MK XII Consoles, but you cannot define what rarity will cone out, or what kind - it's random from the Doff assignment. These are some of the best consoles in STO - which should mean they costs in the 10s of millions of EC for the very rare. But if you're in it for making EC - the type don't really matter as long as it is expensive. A little investment, with a high reward.
    I figure my upfront investment was about 25M EC for 5 very rare Doffs, with a recurring investment of about 550K for the supplies to craft each console. out of 15 consoles so far I've crafted 3 worth ~30M each. So I made 500K an hour?
  • Options
    maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    baclimon wrote: »
    I think its a good idea...why do you guys hate so much...

Let the guy voice his opinion on how to make the game better...
    He is voicing his opinion and we are voicing ours, binding keys would not be an improvement and would have no bearing on crafting whatsoever, the 2 are completely separate issues.
    The only way for crafting to become competitive is if there are craftable items introduced that are unique, competitive with or superior to high end gear and only available through crafting. Right now that is not the case and closing the key market would not change the fact that superior items can be had in game by means other than crafting.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • Options
    stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    maxvitor wrote: »
    He is voicing his opinion and we are voicing ours, binding keys would not be an improvement and would have no bearing on crafting whatsoever, the 2 are completely separate issues.
    The only way for crafting to become competitive is if there are craftable items introduced that are unique, competitive with or superior to high end gear and only available through crafting. Right now that is not the case and closing the key market would not change the fact that superior items can be had in game by means other than crafting.

I'd settle for crafted gear that's competitive with, not superior to, STF sets. But that's just me.
  • Options
    boglejam73boglejam73 Member Posts: 890 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I'd settle for crafted gear that's competitive with, not superior to, STF sets. But that's just me.

For what the crafting mats cost, I'd have to have slightly superior gear for me to start crafting again.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kevaldtkevaldt Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Simple answer to a dumb idea... NO.

I didnt craft that much before lockboxes and until the system is brought to the point of being useful I wont be crafting again, at least not for fun and profit.

I only craft to make useful things for my alts, and I never make anything that costs dilithium.
    [SIGPIC]InGame - @Darth_Tauri[/SIGPIC]
    Joined - 9/2011
    "You Best Make Peace With Your Dear & Fluffy Lord" - Malcolm Reynolds
  • Options
    stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    boglejam73 wrote: »
    For what the crafting mats cost, I'd have to have slightly superior gear for me to start crafting again.

Ideally a pass on the crafting system to add new items would include a reduction in the absurd costs associated with crafting. I thought that was implied, my apologies.
  • Options
    crownvic2doorcrownvic2door Member Posts: 301 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I've been to alpha and the part that I thought that sucked the most is I still don't know how to craft the MK XII purple consoles I need/want...And given the prices people ask on the exchange crafting them myself seems to be the only viable option:mad: I'm looking for the phaser and disruptor tact consoles and science/eng would be nice as well...If somebody could be so kind as post a how to vid on that alone i would be ever so grateful.

And to bring crafting to the next level we need more options that can only be available if you crafted it yourself.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    I've been to alpha and the part that I thought that sucked the most is I still don't know how to craft the MK XII purple consoles I need/want...And given the prices people ask on the exchange crafting them myself seems to be the only viable option:mad: I'm looking for the phaser and disruptor tact consoles and science/eng would be nice as well...If somebody could be so kind as post a how to vid on that alone i would be ever so grateful.

And to bring crafting to the next level we need more options that can only be available if you crafted it yourself.

I'm pretty sure you cant craft mk XII purple consoles. I've only ever seen them drop as loot on elite STF runs.

Somebody confirm?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    You can craft mk XII consoles, just not through the crafting system. That's a duty officer thing, uses the strange alien artifacts and powered alien artifacts to generate a random mk XI-XII console.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    hevach wrote: »
    You can craft mk XII consoles, just not through the crafting system. That's a duty officer thing, uses the strange alien artifacts and powered alien artifacts to generate a random mk XI-XII console.

Oh, good point. Thanks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    celavazmycelavazmy Member Posts: 128 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Thats STO not WOW; you cant expect something, that works great in one game, is great too in another game.. Every MMOG has their good working and bad working mechanisms.

And binding keys on Character wont help crafting. Crafting in STO is a bad working mechanism, so let it be and do something different to get ECs. There are plenty ways.
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,843 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Nobody is going to craft as long as they can sell keys.

Nobody is gonna craft even if they make them bound, crafting is useless because the stats suck and you can buy stuff leaps and bound superior from fleet store.

There really is almost nothing worth crafting and making keys bound won't change that.
  • Options
    sussethraisussethrai Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I have my main and 1 alt maxed out on crafting. The last big batch of crafting I did was when Aegis sets were worth several mil and were a superior set; I cranked out seven or eight and put them in storage. They were either sold on the exchange when our fleet needed an EC infusion, or given to fleeties who needed them. Since them, I haven't gone back to MA unless someone who is leveling needs a specific item I can make. I won't bother, either, because I can buy better gear off the exchange or fleet store or New Romulus or Omega. Locking master keys is irrelevant to crafting. You can't craft the equipment you get out of lockboxes.
    "Susse-thrai" had been the name bestowed upon her, half in anger, half in affection, by her old crew on Bloodwing; the keen-nosed, cranky, wily old she-beast, never less dangerous than when you thought her defenseless, and always growing new teeth far back in her throat to replace the old ones broken in biting out the last foe's heart.
    Romulans: left one homeworld, lost another, third time's the charm?